DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Re: Crisis on Infinite Earths (The CW) -- 5 part crossover event

Holy Birds of Prey!
Old 12-10-19, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Tom Ellis (Lucifer) SWORE he wasn’t in this, and was just visiting the set due to a friend’s birthday. Many figured that was a smoke screen and they were right! His show is the only non-CW DC property referenced so far that I’ve never seen. Is it worth watching?
Old 12-10-19, 07:31 PM

Cosmic treadmill!!!
Old 12-10-19, 08:11 PM

Ok, last post until others post, I promise!

So Oliver is indeed The Spectre now, as many predicted. I’m not sure what exactly happened at the end with Routh’s Supes morphing into Lex. Hopefully that didn’t kill that Superman, because I REALLY want to see him in the last 2 parts. Although if that process (whatever it was) manages to morph their DNA together to make an eventual CW version of Superboy I would be fine with that. That’s likely a VERY long shot, though, and probably not something that would show up for a while.
Old 12-10-19, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
Ok, last post until others post, I promise!

So Oliver is indeed The Spectre now, as many predicted. I’m not sure what exactly happened at the end with Routh’s Supes morphing into Lex. Hopefully that didn’t kill that Superman, because I REALLY want to see him in the last 2 parts. Although if that process (whatever it was) manages to morph their DNA together to make an eventual CW version of Superboy I would be fine with that. That’s likely a VERY long shot, though, and probably not something that would show up for a while.
Don't think it's that complicated. Lex basically scratched off Sups name as the paragon and wrote his name over it in the Book of Destiny.

I couldn't tell if that was Dina Meyer's voice as Orcle. Also Asian Atom. Nora mentioned him last season.
Old 12-10-19, 08:50 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Diggle and Jefferson giving each other a black dudes nod.
Old 12-11-19, 12:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I do hope none of you jizzing your pants over these cameos have been in the Mandalorian threads complaining about “fan service,” because these 2 episodes so far have been so heavy on the fan service that the plot has barely had a chance to progress. It feels like they’re treading water to an extent to stretch this out to 5 episodes. Don’t get me wrong, I’m enjoying it, but so far it’s not been as balls to the wall crazy as I’d have expected. Hopefully things pick up now that the bulk of the fan service cameos are out of the way.
Oh yeah, I can’t remember if this has been mentioned here also, or just on the subreddits for these shows, but I’m now on board with the theory that
Spoiler:
Tom Ellis’ Lucifer

will play a role in retrieving Oliver’s soul, and that Oliver will
Spoiler:
become The Spectre.
i do agree it’s more enjoyable for the call backs than plotting , anyone looking for a serious version of the comic arc , you still will be waiting
Old 12-11-19, 12:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Nailed the bringing back Oliver and Earth-38. No way they were letting either of those stay the way it is. Is it me, or was Routh's suit (business) before he changed way too big for him. There was like a ridiculous amount of slack in the collar. It was distracting.

I never watched Smallville, so I didn't care about the Welling cameo, but I know why they did it.

Conroy was the best part of the episode. Basically just shut your eyes, listen and you can see him as Batman.
actually I thought his voice had changed a great deal in the years past. Plus a voice actor can be great as a character, but he’s less a physical Batman than the games of thrones guy on titans, in fact he would be perfect for playing lex’s dad Lionel from smallville
Old 12-11-19, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

The Lucifer cameo was great.

Earth 666 It was probably not too hard to get Ellis since Lucifer is a WB property like all the other shows.

I thought this was probably the best of the 3 episodes with a lot of progress in the plot.

The Ashley Scott cameo from Birds of Prey went by pretty quick.

There's a lot of similarities in this Crisis plot to the plot of Infinity War/End Game. It's pretty obvious there is going to be some kind of time travel and reset element that gets everything back to normal with the exception of Earth 90 Flash, That was a nice touch with the flashback of his self from 1990 and the old TV series.

Last edited by DJariya; 12-11-19 at 01:00 AM.
Old 12-11-19, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk God

His show is the only non-CW DC property referenced so far that I’ve never seen. Is it worth watching?
It depends on what you enjoy. It's basically a crime of the week procedural with dark humor & light sexual elements. There some character elements that carry over, but most of the plots are self contained.
Old 12-11-19, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Old 12-11-19, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk God

The way they wrote the ending for Earth 90 Flash was very well done, especially his speech to Barry.

Thank you for giving me this opportunity to close a chapter was what he said. The Flash showrunner Eric Wallace was on the after show and looked at that whole sequence as a bookend to The Flash 1990 show, since that never got an ending.
Old 12-11-19, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

That was a really good episode. Surprised how much Earth 90's Flash's sacrifice choked me up. The flashback really worked to sell the moment.

Onto next year.
Old 12-11-19, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Random note but I never read the original Crisis on Infinite Earth's series so I've been attempting to read it now on the DC Universe app.

So episode 2 thoughts: I liked it for the most part. I don't really see what all the love is with Cryer's Lex Luthor. He seems like he's more close to the campy version that fans always hated so him getting all that love confuses me. Routh as Kingdom Come Superman was great. He's definitely the highlight so far. Dug the Superman vs Superman fight also. Liked how they had his clothes be big and baggy and of course the John Williams theme. I liked seeing Kevin Conroy but I thought that whole thing turned out to basically be pointless and just a way to pad out time. And it was weird that I could sometimes hear his Batman voice and sometimes I could not. And man, Ruby Rose is just awful. She only has one facial expression and one way to deliver lines. I thought the Welling and Durance appearance was a nice send off to Smallville. Clark never wanted his powers and always wanted to be normal so him giving them up seemed in character. Holy shit what a terrible design for the Anti-Monitor.

Episode 3: Surprised that the Ollie has the Spectre rumor was true. Hopefully he just doesn't walk around in street clothes. Have I mentioned how great Routh is as Superman yet? Not sure if Osric is who I picture when I think of Ryan Choi but I will give him a chance. Cool to see Ashley Scott again even though she was the textbook definition of cameo appearance. I'll be 100% honest I cried when Earth 90 Flash died and we heard the Danny Elfman theme and the flash back to the pilot episode. The 90's Flash was such a big part of my childhood that it hit me really hard. I hope this isn't the last we see of John Wesley Shipp though and hopefully he comes back as Jay Garrick. Hated seeing Brandon's Superman go but I loved the twist with Lex Luthor writing himself in.
I was one of the people who bitched about the crossover being split up but honestly, I feel like I need a break after the first three episodes so that break will probably do me some good.
Old 12-11-19, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah the Flash 90 scene really got to me. The flashback scene, man. Took me back to middle school.

This really is 50+ years of fandom coming to a head.
Old 12-11-19, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 217 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by robin2099
Random note but I never read the original Crisis on Infinite Earth's series so I've been attempting to read it now on the DC Universe app.

So episode 2 thoughts: I liked it for the most part. I don't really see what all the love is with Cryer's Lex Luthor. He seems like he's more close to the campy version that fans always hated so him getting all that love confuses me.
I think Cryer/Luthor was helped by the fact that it was a well-written traditional villain (he wasn't there to be a political prop) introduced into a terrible season of "Supergirl" He really was a refreshing change.

Last edited by DWilson; 12-11-19 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-11-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-11-19, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I was so impressed with how when KC Superman/Routh was standing among the others he truly sucked the air out of the room with his presence. He's all I could focus on.
Old 12-11-19, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Tom Ellis says his cameo is set 5 years before the Lucifer pilot.

Old 12-11-19, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
I think Cryer/Luthor was helped by the fact that it was a well-written traditional villain (he wasn't there to be a political prop) introduced into a terrible season of "Supergirl" He really was a refreshing change.
I think the deal is that he's simply not Jesse Eisenberg or Kevin Spacey. The last two big-screen Luthors were met with such apathy by fans, that Cryer's more throwback take is perfect by comparison.

I'll admit to being moved by Shipp's last lines to Grant before going off to die.
Old 12-11-19, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom Ellis (Lucifer) SWORE he wasn’t in this, and was just visiting the set due to a friend’s birthday. Many figured that was a smoke screen and they were right! His show is the only non-CW DC property referenced so far that I’ve never seen. Is it worth watching?
Lucifer (the show) is worth a try especially if you liked Ellis in the crossover. For me, much of the draw of the series was watching him play Lucifer.
Old 12-11-19, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by DWilson

Naw, even if they had brought Cryer/Luthor in to do SJW heavy lifting on Supergirl he still would've been kicking ass like he is now.
Old 12-11-19, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Episode 2 and 3 really picked up the pace. Routh is awesome as Supes, much better in this than Superman Returns which I revisited Sunday before the crossover just so my kiddos would have a reference. I kept the Welling cameo to myself and both my girls were so excited when he showed up. Got an "omg that's awesome!" and had to text a friend that also had watched Smallville to see if she had watched Crisis. That was probably my favorite scene. Welling just owns that role. I'm glad they didn't let Lex kill him (instead opting for the Anti-monitor wipe to do it). He's jacked. I think he would have put both Tyler and Brandon to shame if they put him in a suit. I wish he was on Aftermath.

I loved the pairing of Batwoman and Supergirl. Ruby & Melissa work great together, and Ruby looks awesome in the suit.

I bailed on Supergirl after the second season but enjoyed Cryer's Lex in this. Kevin Smith was fawning all over this portrayal. I don't have the comics frame of reference but I can see that. Spacey was terrible, Eisenberg was terrible and Hackman was campy. Rosenbaum was solid though.

I never watched the original Flash but as a current Flash viewer, Shipp's final scene was very touching. At first I thought they de-aged him like Marvel's done. It never even crossed my mind that they just used footage from the old show.

Helluva cliffhanger too.

I do hope none of you jizzing your pants over these cameos have been in the Mandalorian threads complaining about “fan service,” because these 2 episodes so far have been so heavy on the fan service that the plot has barely had a chance to progress.
The two are nothing alike. Comics and Crisis specifically was written to bring everyone together one last time before resetting their comic line. DC has a rich history of their IP to pull from to make this work despite not getting to use some of the bigger characters like Wonder Woman, Batman & Aquaman.

Originally Posted by fujishig

Did I miss an explanation on why they don't just round up heroes from every universe instead of, you know, unleashing Lex Luthor to ruin hundreds of Earths?
For the same reason you build a squad of criminals to fight a witch hell bent on destroying the world instead of calling Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, et al.... Comic Book Logic.
Old 12-11-19, 09:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So still hoping there's not a giant reset in the final 2 hours. Any thoughts/rumors on what stays permanent (such as Spect-arrow?)?
Old 12-11-19, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

I’m willing to bet 98% of content is reversed. I’ve never watched Black Lightning, but can’t imagine they’d essentially kill an entire show. It’ll probably end up as normal and he’ll have memories from this.

I thought the entire Oliver plot was stupid. They wander for 5 minutes, find him, John talks him down in 2 seconds even though he’s not supposed to have memories; then to cap it all off some rando dude walks up and changes his mind?!

Instead of having the whole Batman sub plot, they should have used the setup for he last Arrow episodes on the island, to take place across these two episodes, it have the trio fighting there way through encounters against time to get to Oliver. Would have been a lot more suspenseful.*

The JWS piece was great. I have an incline of memories of the original show, but not some great affinity. However, all his characters have a great gravitas and fatherly vibe, so it was great to have those brief moments between he and Barry.

Ive enjoyed Routh as Superman redux. I really loved seeing Welling and Durance again. But Lucifer F’n Morningstar with John Constantine has to be the icing on the bloody cake!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.