Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Crisis on Infinite Earths (The CW) -- 5 part crossover event

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-20, 10:54 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts
Re: Crisis on Infinite Earths (The CW) -- 5 part crossover event

Is Earth 12 home to Ryan Reynold's Green Lantern or to the upcoming HBO Max show? I'm guessing that the Reeves/Routh Superman is Earth 96 based on the same year the Kingdom Come mini-series was released.

Old 01-18-20, 12:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
Is Earth 12 home to Ryan Reynold's Green Lantern or to the upcoming HBO Max show? I'm guessing that the Reeves/Routh Superman is Earth 96 based on the same year the Kingdom Come mini-series was released.

https://youtu.be/9qou7bvnv-M
these have been addressed several times in the last few pages.
Old 01-18-20, 08:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by whotony
these have been addressed several times in the last few pages.
I'm asking because it seems that it hasn't been confirmed by the executives that Earth 12 is Reynold's GL movie. This is more speculation on our part.
Old 01-18-20, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Hood
I'm asking because it seems that it hasn't been confirmed by the executives that Earth 12 is Reynold's GL movie. This is more speculation on our part.
Guggenheim, basically head writer for the crossover, worked on that movie. It's almost certainly a nod to the GL film.

I kind of figured a Crisis crossover on the CW would be a fan service spectacular and clearly plotting took a back seat this time. Not that there is anything wrong with that - the action on these big CW crossovers has always been so-so. It's more about seeing all these superheroes together on screen. I was spoiled for the surprise Ezra cameo but it was still nice of him to make an appearance. Supposedly Ezra really wanted to be in the crossover. Seeing the differing Flash costumes next to each other was a stark reminder of how different they really are.

I did get a big goofy grin on my face when Gleek's cage showed up and the Superfriends theme was playing.

Casting has already gone out for Superman's sons. They are going to be
Spoiler:
teenagers

Old 01-18-20, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Eric F
Nobody gives a shit about Wally.
That actor ended up being really unhappy working on the shows up in Vancouver. Supposedly the showrunners wanted him to stick around and rebuffed their offers when he left.
Old 01-18-20, 07:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
That actor ended up being really unhappy working on the shows up in Vancouver. Supposedly the showrunners wanted him to stick around and rebuffed their offers when he left.
He was unhappy with acting in general it seems from the video he posted over a year ago on Instagram. I heard recently that he wanted to return so I was expecting him to be part of the crossover.
Old 01-19-20, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Guggenheim, basically head writer for the crossover, worked on that movie. It's almost certainly a nod to the GL film.

I kind of figured a Crisis crossover on the CW would be a fan service spectacular and clearly plotting took a back seat this time. Not that there is anything wrong with that - the action on these big CW crossovers has always been so-so. It's more about seeing all these superheroes together on screen. I was spoiled for the surprise Ezra cameo but it was still nice of him to make an appearance. Supposedly Ezra really wanted to be in the crossover. Seeing the differing Flash costumes next to each other was a stark reminder of how different they really are.

I did get a big goofy grin on my face when Gleek's cage showed up and the Superfriends theme was playing.

Casting has already gone out for Superman's sons. They are going to be
Spoiler:
teenagers

But isn’t he also working on the upcoming HBO Max GL series? It seems just as likely to be a nod to that.
Old 01-20-20, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

After watching the first post Crisis Supergirl:
Spoiler:
Earth - Prime was the only universe that was saved!? With Oliver's ending monologue I thought the entire multiverse was rebooted. Apparently not so. Might explain something on Batwoman too.

Old 01-20-20, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kdogg
Spoiler:
Earth - Prime was the only universe that was saved!? With Oliver's ending monologue I thought the entire multiverse was rebooted. Apparently not so. Might explain something on Batwoman too.

Elements of all the prior Earths have now been merged into one unified Earth. This is exactly how it was like in the comics, though the comics actually rebooted many characters at the same time.
Old 01-20-20, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdogg
Spoiler:

The Earth Prime heroes don’t have knowledge of the Multiverse
Old 01-21-20, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

The end of the crossover was basically them saying, "Don't worry, all your favorite superheroes are still out there somewhere. But we're going to be focusing on one unified Earth from now on."

Just like the comics! The multiverse eventually came back in the comics, but the characters had to rediscover it first.
Old 01-21-20, 12:19 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Old 01-21-20, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

That's the rumor I mentioned in the new LoT thread. Seems too good to be true though. And I just don't see us getting two Superman shows with two different actors at the same time.
Old 01-21-20, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

I'm highly skeptical about that rumor. The CW has already greenlit the Hoechlin version as a full series next season, so I can't see them running two Superman shows concurrently. And the CW renewed all their currently airing shows with exception of the two that are ending. So they have almost no timeslots available.

So it would have to be HBO Max or bust. But, unless I see a legit outlet report it, I'm not expecting it to happen.
Old 01-21-20, 12:31 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Poor Cavill...
Old 01-21-20, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

If you had told me in 2013 that 7 years later people would be cheering Brandon Routh as Superman and saying “Poor Cavill,” I would assume reality was broken.
Old 01-21-20, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

For those wondering...

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Old 01-21-20, 04:28 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

a Routh superman show would be great. I feel bad for that other puny Italian superman guy
Old 01-21-20, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Neither Routh nor Cavill were the problems with the films they were in. Both are great ambassador's for the character and I'd be down for a Routh return in some fashion. Also, Routh dressed as Supes standing next to Hochlin makes Hochlin look like a kid cosplaying Superman.

Just now chiming in. The cross-over was epically nerdy and I loved every minute of it. The TV budget kind hurt the look of Anti-Monitor and some of the action but it was still fun. And at that Flash surprise. I am super fucking impressed that wasn't spoiled along the way. I wasn't a fan of Miller's Flash but he's growing on me(with each JL viewing) and his tiny appearance here went a long way to putting him in the positive column.
Old 01-22-20, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I could see a limited Superman show with Routh back playing Superman. Many fans still have a great affection for him in the role and he looked fantastic in costume on the Crisis episodes. The CW is moving towards shorter commitments and having more options on its schedule. I don't think HBO is a viable option
Old 01-23-20, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

I guess I have to re-read CoIE. The whole thing with the paragons was a little confusing and I don't remember it.
Old 01-23-20, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

I could see a limited Superman show with Routh back playing Superman. Many fans still have a great affection for him in the role and he looked fantastic in costume on the Crisis episodes. The CW is moving towards shorter commitments and having more options on its schedule. I don't think HBO is a viable option
HBO Max is already doing a Green Lantern show. For budgetary reasons alone, this happening at HBO Max is the much more preferable option, and it would be a way to at least try to separate it from the upcoming CW show. Still don't think it's real though.
Old 01-23-20, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
And at that Flash surprise. I am super fucking impressed that wasn't spoiled along the way. I wasn't a fan of Miller's Flash but he's growing on me(with each JL viewing) and his tiny appearance here went a long way to putting him in the positive column.
A part of me was wishing he was the Barry that died on the treadmill and they retcon it back to BvS when he appears to Batffleck. Instead of talking about Superman, he could have been talking about the Anti-Monitor.
Old 01-23-20, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I guess I have to re-read CoIE. The whole thing with the paragons was a little confusing and I don't remember it.
You don't remember it in the comics because the CW writers invented the Paragon nonsense wholesale for television. Outside of taking some familiar Crisis characters like the Anti-Monitor and Pariah, the CW's Crisis only vaguely adapts the original comics. The CW's crossover was mostly about smashing alternate versions of familiar characters from other television and movie realities together.