TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Willow (Disney+) - sequel series - premieres 11/30/22

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-23, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,504 Posts
Re: Willow (Disney+) - sequel series - premieres 11/30/22

Originally Posted by Gizmo
So for streaming shows, residuals are based off SUBSCRIBERS count and not view COUNT. So the residuals for this show might be high due to the talent when no one is watching. Disney can now 'sell' this off to a FAST or other steamer, make some money, and have residuals paid by the new streamer. If this show doesn't drive subscriber count, or no one is watching, why pay to keep it around? I think Zaslav said 80% of the content people are watching on HBO MAX is. the top 20 shows. Some shows received 0 views over the course of a year but still had to pay out residuals to keep it on the service. How stupid is that?
This seems like a lack of foresight for Disney then, if they based this on subscribers: what did they think was going to happen, the subscriber number is just going to go up. You'd think residuals negotiated for streaming services would have some kind of clause that isn't just about how successful the overall service is (views or even a share when it first launches and there's a bump in subs or something)
Old 05-31-23, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,943 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Well the removal did get me off my behind to finish watching this. I can't believe they actually fridged a dude in this for as progressive as this was trying to be. Like he literally "dies" to motivate someone else. And then is just discarded.

I watched the making of, which was amusing, but I don't get how Kasdan is such a huge fan of this property but then made this, which didn't seem all that true to the original in terms of tone or even world building. There were times when it seemed like I missed an episode, and other times where things just dragged on... the pacing was driving me crazy. Especially in that last episode with the disjointed fighting scenes and basically Willow being a deus ex machina out of nowhere. Like how dumb are our protagonists to fall for this dream world? Please.
Old 05-31-23, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Well the removal did get me off my behind to finish watching this. I can't believe they actually fridged a dude in this for as progressive as this was trying to be. Like he literally "dies" to motivate someone else. And then is just discarded.

I watched the making of, which was amusing, but I don't get how Kasdan is such a huge fan of this property but then made this, which didn't seem all that true to the original in terms of tone or even world building. There were times when it seemed like I missed an episode, and other times where things just dragged on... the pacing was driving me crazy. Especially in that last episode with the disjointed fighting scenes and basically Willow being a deus ex machina out of nowhere. Like how dumb are our protagonists to fall for this dream world? Please.
"Disjointed" is a good, single-word summary of this series.