TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The One and Only BAYWATCH Discussion Thread

Old 09-13-13, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The One and Only BAYWATCH Discussion Thread

Firstly, i'm not even sure i saw all the series the first time around

I'm thinking of starting rewatching it from season 3 as a guilty pleasure. I remember seasons 1 and 2 being pretty dull

Has anyone rewatched Baywatch recently ? (say in last 4-5 years)
Old 09-13-13, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk God

Re: Baywatch - is it Rewatchable ?

Sure - in slow motion in certain areas.
Old 09-13-13, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Any show is rewatchable if you like it enough.

I am going thru Charlie's Angels right now because I got the set for cheap and I have been loving every minute of it. Now...are there complete series sets of Love Boat & Fantasy Island...
Old 09-13-13, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sure it is, the only problem is finding a way to watch it. Season 1 thru 3 where released, but nearly all the music was changed, and there were missing episodes. The only decent release was in Germany, but it would take some work buy them all and a decent region free dvd player. I wish they could at least release the show on Netflix in its original form.
Old 09-13-13, 09:03 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post

I am going thru Charlie's Angels right now because I got the set for cheap and I have been loving every minute of it. Now...are there complete series sets of Love Boat & Fantasy Island...
Yeah. I was hoping Love Boat would be on Netflix, but it isn't.
Old 09-25-13, 09:04 PM

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post

Yep! Baywatch is nothing but a camp-fest. The Billy Warlock/Erika Eleniak episodes in the beginning weren't the best, but aren't complete crap (though crappy enough to someone who has never experienced this phenomenon of a show). The arrival of Summer, Matt, and C.J. definitely changed the show for the better. As well as new writers that brought the show into the '90s. The show got hotter, the characters and storylines better, and remained that way for a good five/six years.

If you can get the episodes as they are meant to be seen, you'll have a ton of mindless fun. The beginning and end of the series weren't memorable, but there's enough bad acting and campy story telling in between. I haven't watched the show in eleven years, since TNN/Spike TV aired it every day, but watched enough of it growing up. If it were on at 2am somewhere, I'd definitely tune in.
Old 09-25-13, 09:14 PM

Just stay away from Baywatch Nights
Old 09-25-13, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
Just stay away from Baywatch Nights
And Baywatch Hawaii! (aka the final seasons of Baywatch)
Old 09-25-13, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BuffyBoy View Post
And Baywatch Hawaii! (aka the final seasons of Baywatch)
Brooke Burns was pretty hot though
Old 09-26-13, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For a show to be re-watchable, it first has to have been watchable.
Old 09-26-13, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You can mute it and still enjoy it.
Old 09-26-13, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The music montages were the best part about the show, and my favorite years were with Summer, Matt, and CJ. Is there any networks that still air the show?
Old 09-26-13, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Watchable?! RE-Watchable?!!
Old 09-26-13, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Itunes should put up all the series in HD

It would sell well i reckon

say what you like about the show, it had on it as stars and guest stars some of the hottest women on the planet for a decade
Old 08-06-18, 10:25 AM

Baywatch remastered in HD / possible reboot in the works

EXCLUSIVE: Lifeguard drama Baywatch is coming back to television screens around the world. FremantleMedia International has remastered the David Hasselhoff and Pamela Anderson-fronted series into HD and will start shopping it to global broadcasters, while also eyeing a new reboot of the franchise.

The RTL-owned producer and distributor has remastered all 242 episodes of the show into high definition, as well as introducing contemporary songs and moving it from 4:3 to 16:9 to try and attract the attention of a new generation of fans.

FremantleMedia International COO Bob McCourt told Deadline that despite the mixed reviews of the Dwayne Johnson and Zac Efron-fronted 2017 feature film, the big-screen attempt rejuvenated the brand and encouraged the company to update the original 35MM prints of the series. Overseen by original Baywatch producers Michael Berk, Greg Bonann and Doug Schwartz, the company worked with two post-production companies, Warner Bros and Illuminate, to transfer the original series into the new format. “The results are phenomenal. When you have the sea and obviously it’s set on the beach, it was such a colorful series, so that color really comes out when you put it into HD,” he said. It has also replaced 300 songs with contemporary songs from new artists with the help of original composer Corey Lerios, while keeping the original theme tune.

The distributor will now approach international broadcasters as well as streaming platforms. The show has continued to perform well globally, particularly in Europe, where it still airs on RTL in Germany, TF1 in France and Mediaset in Italy. McCourt said the show doesn’t looked “dated”. “It still looks quite contemporary and the storylines stand up. It doesn’t actually look that old fashioned,” he added.

This comes after FremantleMedia unravelled a relatively complex rights situation. The show was originally produced by Gannett for NBC but was cancelled after one season. Then the Baywatch producers bought the rights and produced a version with All American Television for syndication, with the help of financing from German distributor Beta Taurus, part of the Kirsch group in Germany and ITV.

All American Television was later subsumed into Pearson, then FremantleMedia, giving the latter the rights. However, Beta, which distributes series such as Babylon Berlin, had the international rights until recently, when FremantleMedia took over global control.

Given the current trend of remaking series from the 1980s and 1990s, McCourt said a remake has “definitely been discussed”. “I think we thought the film might have given us reason to reboot the TV series, but given the mixed reviews that didn’t happen straight away. I think if this remastered version is sold extensively and a new audience comes to Baywatch, then it will give us a real indication as to whether a new series could be successful. We would definitely think seriously about making a new series and maybe we’ll get approached by some broadcasters about making one,” he added.
https://deadline.com/2018/08/fremant...hd-1202440619/
Old 08-06-18, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

re: The One and Only BAYWATCH Discussion Thread

I'm fine with this.
Old 08-06-18, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I’d like to see Amazon or Netflix pick up these HD 16:9 remasters. I would binge the shit out of this.

Since Baywatch was shot on film, the 16:9 look should be fine.

It’s currently airing on the Pop network, but in 4:3 SD.
Old 08-06-18, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

As for a "reboot" I think it could work. But, I would make it a continuation of the original show and then cast new characters. But it sounds like it's heavily dependent on how these new remasters are received.

The link showed an example of the remastering. Top is the old look, bottom is a remastered look:

Old 08-06-18, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm definitely in for this in HD, also a reboot

And this thing about the song replacement was more about necessity than anything else. The music rights would have killed this project otherwise, they had no choice but to change the music. Given it's not a huge part of the show, most won't know any difference

I am looking forward to gawking at the extras in HD

90s bikinis really do it for me
Old 08-06-18, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post

It’s currently airing on the Pop network, but in 4:3 SD.
It's POP still airing this? Haven't seen the show there in a while.
Old 08-06-18, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If we can't get the whole series on dvd, this is the next best thing. Does it mean all the music will be replaced? Replacing the theme song is pretty unforgivable. I've been waiting for the news that Baywatch could be rebooted.
Old 08-06-18, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial View Post
If we can't get the whole series on dvd, this is the next best thing. Does it mean all the music will be replaced? Replacing the theme song is pretty unforgivable. I've been waiting for the news that Baywatch could be rebooted.
300 songs. The original theme wasn’t replaced. The info is in the OP.

I would guess a physical release is likely.
Old 08-06-18, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I only hope its done better than the three seasons that were released on dvd. It sounds like it will be.
Old 08-06-18, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Red Hood View Post
It's POP still airing this? Haven't seen the show there in a while.
Looks like you're right. Not showing up there.

I guess their rights expired and that's why the series went in to get remastered and is now up for sale.
Old 08-07-18, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Music rights are a big reason why there are many old shows which haven't made their way to dvd/bluray/streaming

It can be an expensive endeavour for a little bit of music here and there

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.