Reload this Page >

The One and Only BAYWATCH Discussion Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The One and Only BAYWATCH Discussion Thread

Old 04-15-23, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 416 Likes on 333 Posts
Re: The One and Only BAYWATCH Discussion Thread

Baywatch could be a good IP for a reboot, but don't go the route the movie took. They tried to copy the 21 Jump Street recipe, but it just didn't work. The scirp wasn't funny Johnson and Efron did not have the chemistry Tatum and Hill shared. After 10 minutes I wanted to stop watching, but gave it a little more time, after 30 minutes I still wanted to stop, but didn't. When I was have way through the movie, I said to myself it's to late to stop watching and when the movie ended, I was angry, I didn't stop have way through.
Old 04-15-23, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,912 Likes on 2,792 Posts

If they do re-boot it, I say start completely fresh. No tie-ins to Hasselhoff or the original TV series and bring in some fresh faces and maybe a known veteran or two. Otherwise, you're just going to lead yourself to failure like other reboots that tried tying themselves into the original.
Old 04-15-23, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DJariya
If they do re-boot it, I say start completely fresh. No tie-ins to Hasselhoff or the original TV series and bring in some fresh faces and maybe a known veteran or two. Otherwise, you're just going to lead yourself to failure like other reboots that tried tying themselves into the original.
Although as German I'm obligated to say you must have David Hasselhoff on the show, I wouldn't tie-in the old cast, either. Most of the actors weren't that talented anyway and Jason Momoa is the only one who worked on Baywatch Hawaii who's known to today's audience. Like you set get some veteran actors for the higher ranks and a couple of new faces for the lifeguards.
Old 03-04-24, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Back from the dead, FOX has ordered a reboot Pilot

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/bay...73e828aa12daf1

There is a penalty attached. Meaning if FOX passes on it, they will have to pay Fremantle a lot of money. It's rare, but there have been shows with penalties attached that the network still passed on.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-04-24 at 03:10 PM.
Old 03-04-24, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 901 Likes on 760 Posts

I doubt a modern Baywatch in any way, shape or form will resemble the '90s show. If i had the rights, I'd remake the show as an anime. I'm not joking, you could turn it into an anime formula fairly easily.
Old 07-10-24, 10:47 AM

Received 4,815 Likes on 3,260 Posts

Hulu, which touched on the legacy of “Baywatch” as part of its 2022 scripted limited series “Pam & Tommy,” is heading back to the beach. The streamer is set to premiere the four-part ABC News Studios docuseries “After Baywatch: Moment in the Sun” on Wednesday, Aug. 28.

Matthew Felker (“Public Figure”) is the producer and director behind the project, which began production in 2019 as “Baywatch: The Documentary” before evolving into “After Baywatch: Moment in the Sun” and landing ABC News Studios as the series’ production company.

Per the longline, the docuseries promises “a nostalgic and insightful exploration of ‘Baywatch,’ the cultural phenomenon that defined an era, and an unprecedented look into the stars who brought the world’s most famous lifeguards to life. Through dozens of new cast interviews and never-before-seen footage, this docuseries unpacks how the show captured the mythology of California’s beach culture, set physical beauty standards for an entire generation, and capitalized on the adage ‘sex sells.'”

Among cast members and producers interviewed are Nicole Eggert, Carmen Electra, Billy Warlock, Alexandra Paul, Gregory Alan Williams, David Chokachi, Jeremy Jackson, Traci Bingham, Erika Eleniak, Michael Newman, Michael Berk and Douglas Schwartz. Glaringly missing from that confirmed list: Series star David Hasselhoff. But Hasselhoff had been reportedly interviewed for “Baywatch: The Documentary,” so it wouldn’t be surprising to see him show up on this as well.

According to ABC News Studios, the docuseries will also feature a “never-aired interview with Pamela Anderson and over a decade’s worth of never-before-seen home videos shot by the cast themselves. These candid and intimate clips offer viewers a unique glimpse into the real dynamics, struggles, friendships and moments that happened off-camera. The series also explores the show’s impact on pop culture and its enduring legacy.”

Created by Michael Berk, Douglas Schwartz and Gregory J. Bonann, and starring David Hasselhoff, “Baywatch” originally ran from 1989 to 1999. It was retooled as “Baywatch: Hawaii” from 1999 to 2001. Besides Hasselhoff, the show’s cast over the years included Pamela Anderson, Yasmine Bleeth, Alexandra Paul, Erika Eleniak, Nicole Eggert, Parker Stevenson and many others. Hasselhoff also starred in a spinoff series, the private eye drama “Baywatch Nights,” which aired from 1995 to 1997. “Baywatch” was a syndication sensation, airing in more than 145 countries at one point, more than any other TV show.

The show was originally inspired by Bonann’s time as a Los Angeles County lifeguard. Most recently, a “Baywatch” film starring Dwayne Johnson and Zac Efron was released in 2017.

The series comes as Fox is developing a reboot of “Baywatch” with Fremantle. Lara Olsen (“Spinning Out”) is attached as showrunner and EP, along side EPs Berk, Bonann and Schwartz.

Felker is director and executive producer of “After Baywatch: Moment in the Sun,” while Eggert is a producer and Ari Shofet is executive producer. ABC News Studios’ David Sloan is the senior executive producer and Muriel Pearson is executive producer.

Recent ABC News Studios productions include “Pretty Baby: Brooke Shields,” “Sound of the Police,” “The Lady Bird Diaries,” “Aftershock” and Andrew McCarthy’s “Brats.”
https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/bay...lu-1236064560/
Old 07-10-24, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 470 Likes on 341 Posts

Erika Eleniak is covered in tattoos now so I wonder how the producers will handle that. It's so sad.
Old 07-10-24, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
Erika Eleniak is covered in tattoos now so I wonder how the producers will handle that. It's so sad.
Why does that need to be “handled”? It’s a documentary.
The following 3 users liked this post by dex14:
Boondock Saint (07-10-24), majorjoe23 (07-10-24), whotony (07-10-24)
Old 07-10-24, 01:52 PM

Received 162 Likes on 117 Posts

Because he has problems with women aging and having agency over their bodies?
The following users liked this post:
whotony (07-10-24)
Old 07-10-24, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,292 Likes on 791 Posts

I googled her just to see and I don't think I would recognize her if I saw her on the street today.

Old 07-10-24, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No she would have looked better without the tats and there's nothing empowering about destroying your body with all that ink.
Old 07-10-24, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No she would have looked better without the tats and there's nothing empowering about destroying your body with all that ink.
Not that I disagreeing, but there is still the question, what could or should be handled about it? It's just not relevant for the documentary.
Old 07-10-24, 03:43 PM

Received 162 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Runaway
Not that I disagreeing, but there is still the question, what could or should be handled about it? It's just not relevant for the documentary.
"This program includes footage of a woman over the age of 40. Viewer discretion is advised."
Old 07-10-24, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by HeIsTheZissou
"This program includes footage of a woman over the age of 40. Viewer discretion is advised."
That's disgusting!!!

*The woman over 40. Not the disclaimer.
Old 07-10-24, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm guessing Eliniak will be wearing some sort of shirt with long sleeves. The documentary sounds cool but not having Hasselhoff included is strange. I hope Nicole Eggert's health is improving as she's currently being treated for breast cancer.
Old 07-10-24, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk God

I don't like Tattoos either, but who am I to judge her? She's 53 and just living her life.
Old 07-10-24, 05:37 PM

I'm guessing Eliniak will be wearing some sort of shirt with long sleeves.
Or she'll wear whatever she wants and could be a tank top showing her arms. Again... what does it matter or have anything to do with the content of the program? It is like asking... what are the producers going to do to handle this:
Nicole Eggert's health is improving as she's currently being treated for breast cancer.
because she doesn't have any hair.

You're acting as if this was some reunion episode where they all need to look like they did 30 years ago.
Old 07-10-24, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't care that Nicole Eggert is bald my comment was meant to be nice as I hope her health is improving. I can watch Baywatch now and look at the women then as they were feminine and weren't covered in tattoos. That's not the norm today. I look at the picture above of Erika Eliniak and it makes me sad she likely has bigger problems.
Old 07-10-24, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 376 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I googled her just to see and I don't think I would recognize her if I saw her on the street today.

Well, having to kiss Steven Seagal will undoubtedly change a person.
Old 07-11-24, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Old 07-11-24, 06:58 PM

Oh, no! Her arms are showing!!!
Old 07-11-24, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend