Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (S8E09) -- "Honor" -- 2/25/18

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-18, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (S8E09) -- "Honor" -- 2/25/18

Originally Posted by DJariya
I did think Carl's death was well acted by Lincoln, Riggs and Gurira. However, I don't expect anyone here to have any emotional resonance to the episode. Seems like most now are just sarcastic hate watchers now and don't give a shit about any attempt at drama now.
Agreed about the acting, agreed about hate watchers. The thing is, a few decent performances by a few actors can't make-up for bad writing, bad narrative, and ruining outstanding source material.
Old 03-02-18, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelkee
Stopped watching when Negan came aboard and Glenn died ... the second time. Ridiculous way to take out a beloved character.

It was so dragged out, over the top, disturbing and morbid, for no reason apparently since the plot has not moved one bit since then. At this point there is nothing they could do to Neagan for the audience to feel any sort of justice about how he not only ruined the major character interactions but the entire show itself. So apparently he will turn into a good guy instead and all is forgiven? Nope.

Actually I believe I did watch one more show after this, the one with a CGI tiger and Knights of the Round table running around...and then it was over for me. What a waste.
Well Glenn's death is straight from the comics, so I don't get what your problem with that is. Maybe a zombie show based on a comic book isn't for you. Sorry it took so long to figure it out.
Old 03-02-18, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by JTH182
Well Glenn's death is straight from the comics, so I don't get what your problem with that is. Maybe a zombie show based on a comic book isn't for you. Sorry it took so long to figure it out.
I'm guessing the poster's complaint had more to do with combining it with the stupid dumpster fake-out just prior, which I'm guessing did not come from the comic. Also, killing a character six months before revealing who it was didn't help. Same issue with the Carl death. Don't expect your audience to get all choked up again 3 months after you know it's happening. The show gets so incredibly greedy and milks these events for way more than they are worth.
Old 03-02-18, 10:25 PM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I'm guessing the poster's complaint had more to do with combining it with the stupid dumpster fake-out just prior, which I'm guessing did not come from the comic. Also, killing a character six months before revealing who it was didn't help. Same issue with the Carl death. Don't expect your audience to get all choked up again 3 months after you know it's happening. The show gets so incredibly greedy and milks these events for way more than they are worth.
Bingo.
Old 03-03-18, 03:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I guess the rest of this season likely is gone since we know it is Gimple involved.

Since the new showrunner has so little experience other than her involvement with Walking Dead it makes me wonder if she will just follow in Gimple's footsteps and keep the show going like it has been.

The fact that she was a writer on a show that has such bad writing is not very promising and she has almost no other writing experience to look at with hope.
Old 03-03-18, 05:33 AM

The hair looked blonde to me, not gray at all.
Old 03-03-18, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

I watched a re-air of Talking Dead that I recorded on Sunday post-Carl's death. Riggs and Greg Nicotero were the guests.

It was pretty boring. Riggs seems like a really nice guy, but it was basically a Carl love/suck up fest for the 1 hour.
Old 03-03-18, 06:56 AM

Received 4,578 Likes on 3,099 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I watched a re-air of Talking Dead that I recorded on Sunday post-Carl's death. Riggs and Greg Nicotero were the guests.

It was pretty boring. Riggs seems like a really nice guy, but it was basically a Carl love/suck up fest for the 1 hour.
As opposed to being its usual TWD love/suck fest for the 1 hour?
Old 03-03-18, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Not that he's known for his TV reviews, but Richard Roeper (movie critic) is quitting the show after Sunday's episode.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/enterta...-walking-dead/
Old 03-04-18, 03:00 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Gotta love everyone who hate watches this show, complains every week...yet they are the first to post and discuss the episode. Yeah, not buying it. Just admit you like it. You are not 'sticking it out to the end' because you've invested so much time...the show has 3-5 more season left in it.
Old 03-04-18, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

35 more seasons!? Is that you Gimple?
Old 03-06-18, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by JTH182
Sorry I don't read the comic. Did Glenn die twice in the comic?
Old 03-06-18, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I haven't even watched this one yet, and even though I hate spoilers, I just read the thread. I think I'm done as well. This show has many issues, but here's one of my problems with it: to feel connected to characters, you have to understand them, and when characters constantly make stupid decisions purely for the purpose of plot advancement, I no longer understand them. The show had some great moments, but I was also just hate-watching at this point.

I've heard that Fear the Walking Dead has much better writing (after season 2), but I really disliked season one and couldn't bring myself to continue.
Old 03-06-18, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Kelkee
Sorry I don't read the comic. Did Glenn die twice in the comic?
Did he die twice in the show?
Old 03-06-18, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by GoVegan
I haven't even watched this one yet, and even though I hate spoilers, I just read the thread. I think I'm done as well. This show has many issues, but here's one of my problems with it: to feel connected to characters, you have to understand them, and when characters constantly make stupid decisions purely for the purpose of plot advancement, I no longer understand them. The show had some great moments, but I was also just hate-watching at this point.

I've heard that Fear the Walking Dead has much better writing (after season 2), but I really disliked season one and couldn't bring myself to continue.
Fear is full of dumb people doing dumb things. It's only in comparison to recent Walking Dead Proper that they don't seem as dumb.
Old 03-06-18, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Technically, Only Abraham (as we later learned) had died in the mid-season finale last year. Glenn bought it several minutes later.

But you're right. These constant cliffhangers are getting old. They're a crutch for writers who don't believe in their work. And with all the media attention about the supposed raw deal that Chandler Riggs got in dumping his character, there was little reason to get choked up at another overwrought Andrew Lincoln watches someone die scene by the time it was aired.
Old 03-07-18, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 391 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Technically, Only Abraham (as we later learned) had died in the mid-season finale last year. Glenn bought it several minutes later.

But you're right. These constant cliffhangers are getting old. They're a crutch for writers who don't believe in their work. And with all the media attention about the supposed raw deal that Chandler Riggs got in dumping his character, there was little reason to get choked up at another overwrought Andrew Lincoln watches someone die scene by the time it was aired.
Damn, its funny, I remember dissecting the sounds played at the end of the mid-season finale trying to determine who was getting killed after Abraham. My wife and I played it IDK how many times looking for clues and such damn near desperate to figure it out.
Flash forward to present and my wife went to bed early for this mid season premiere and was satisfied to hear me tell her what happened the last 40 min of the show and we haven't even watched last weeks episode yet. Mind you we would normally be re-watching an episode by this time to see if we could pick out nuance and such. That is a huge drop off in quality in my mind.... I really cant recall loving a show this much and then being left feeling empty. The only thing that comes close in my recollection is Dexter where we completely stopped watching the show and haven't seen any of the final season... I don't know or much care how Dexter ended and that's how I'm starting to feel about TWD.
Old 03-07-18, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Make sure you come back to post how much you enjoy not watching it in other threads then ask questions about the current episode.
Old 03-07-18, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

I can only assume your source is trolling you.
Old 03-07-18, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

I still maintain that the “Lucille” cliffhanger was a damned good cliffhanger. Unfortunately the shenanigans leading up to it and the over-the-top blood bath afterwards really pissed all over its effectiveness. Honestly, even the returning “premiere” was done well. It was just too gory for the casual audience and was still marred by Dumpstergate.