Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Vice Principals (HBO) -- S: McBride, Goggins -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 7/17/16

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Vice Principals (HBO) -- S: McBride, Goggins -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 7/17/16

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-16, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Re: Vice Principals (HBO) -- S: McBride, Goggins -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 7/17

Originally Posted by Original Desmond
No i haven't because when ever he deviated from his core character he was rubbish
I thought he was fantastic as a sleazy, manipulative lawyer, which was obviously very against type.
Old 07-31-16, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Vice Principals (HBO) -- S: McBride, Goggins -- Season 1 Thread -- Premieres 7/17

^Agreed - Michael J Fox was freaking awesome on The Good Wife and it worked so well because it was against type.
Old 07-31-16, 12:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 922 Likes on 776 Posts

i'm watching this, but aside from Goggins, i'm not really liking it...
Old 08-01-16, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Third ep was tough to get through. Gamby is just so thick-headed it's too ridiculous.

To be honest, they kinda lost me after burning down the house. If this show dialed it back a little it could be much better. As outrageous as it is most of this material, and the writing, just isn't sticking with me like I'd hoped.
Old 08-02-16, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
i'm watching this, but aside from Goggins, i'm not really liking it...
Same. So I bet you REALLY didn't care for the third episode which he was barely in.

Since there are only 18 episodes, I was thinking I'd stick it out but after "The Field Trip" I'm having my doubts I can. Gamby without Russell didn't work for me at all.
Old 08-02-16, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

This latest episode felt like a filler episode. However, with how limited in scope the main plot of the show is - I suspect we'll be seeing more episodes like this to chew up time.
Old 08-02-16, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by islandclaws
Third ep was tough to get through. Gamby is just so thick-headed it's too ridiculous.

To be honest, they kinda lost me after burning down the house. If this show dialed it back a little it could be much better. As outrageous as it is most of this material, and the writing, just isn't sticking with me like I'd hoped.
I haven't watched the third episode yet but agree with your other thoughts. I wanted to like this show far more than I do. I'll stick it out for now, but it's no Eastbound and Down.
Old 08-02-16, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I'm starting to get a little tired of cringe/uncomfortable type of humor. This show is bordering a little too much towards unpleasant rather than funny for me.
Old 08-03-16, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I'm starting to get a little tired of cringe/uncomfortable type of humor. This show is bordering a little too much towards unpleasant rather than funny for me.
I love that type of humor but my wife hates it. I love Curb Your Enthusiasm, Hello Ladies, and any other show like that (give me suggestions if I am missing a good one).

So for that reason, my life didn't like this episode as much. I still enjoyed it but I can see if one doesn't like that kind of humor, then they would have really disliked this episode. My wife also hates dumb asses and he was a massive dummy in this one.

She did say that she is finding herself say "Motherfucker" a lot more often just from watching these three episodes.
Old 08-03-16, 01:31 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

I liked how the blonde teacher actually called him out on his bullshit, maybe the character will realize?

He does seem to have the kids interest at heart.
Old 08-03-16, 02:46 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

I think the pilot was the best episode thus far, but still liking it for the most part.
Old 08-08-16, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Surprised to read episode 3 was so unpopular here. It was the first one that worked for me. The new setting was well utilized, the episode had an actual story going on, the characters stated to feel a little richer. It was my favourite episode of the first three.

I thought last night's episode was outstanding. I love what they've done with the principal character, getting her to the point where I'm actually rooting for her. The football game set up a great dynamic where Gamby finds himself working against Russell as the needs in his personal life begin to outweigh the needs of their plan.

I'm very curious to see what next week will hold.
Old 08-08-16, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Gah, had to record the repeat to make room on the DVR to record a cancelled preseason NFL game. The recording cut off after Russell says to Gamby they turned her into a martyr. Anything happen after that?
Old 08-08-16, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

That was pretty much the end, except for a great final moment where Gamby says to Russell, "Let's get out of here," (meaning under the bleachers), and Russell says to him mournfully, "We live down here now."
Old 08-08-16, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Crocker Jarmen
That was pretty much the end, except for a great final moment where Gamby says to Russell, "Let's get out of here," (meaning under the bleachers), and Russell says to him mournfully, "We live down here now."
Thanks. Actually that whole sequence after they went under the influence was pretty funny. The side plot with the principal's kids could have been horrible, but actually wasn't bad. The visit to the other high school was pretty great, and really I thought the whole episode was very solid, with any scene containing both Russell and Gamby being the highlights.
Old 08-08-16, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This was my favorite episode so far. Glad I enjoyed it much more than the previous episode. I liked the principal's kids.

I hope it stays I'm this direction. I loved the principal going preacher to fire the kids up. Great performance.
Old 08-08-16, 07:33 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 922 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
You must have never seen Good Wife.
Or Rescue Me.
Old 08-09-16, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,367 Likes on 929 Posts

the drug hallucination was fantastic.
Old 08-09-16, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I gotta say, I am not a fan of McBride and never have been. Never hated him, but never really enjoyed anything he was in.

On the other hand, I have really enjoyed Goggins since The Shield premiered.

But I went in with very low expectations for this and am really surprised by how much I'm loving it. It's weird and boisterous and crazy while also somewhat finding a way to be a little grounded and even have a (small amount) of heart.

Goggins is killing me with his at any cost attitude, and I think McBride is pretty good as more of the straight man. And I think the woman playing Dr. Brown is hilarious in the two moments we've seen her go from sweet and friendly to dark and sinister and then immediately back to sweet and friendly.

Very happy I gave this show a shot.
Old 08-10-16, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
This was my favorite episode so far. Glad I enjoyed it much more than the previous episode. I liked the principal's kids.

I hope it stays I'm this direction. I loved the principal going preacher to fire the kids up. Great performance.
This.

Everything about this episode was fantastic from Dr. Brown's preacher-like rally call (with perfectly placed cuss words) to the hallucination sequence with Gamby and Russell. I was a little worried with the vandalism angle, but it escaped that with practically a 180. I'm SO cheering for Belinda now. Watching these two a-hole losers lose is the best!
Old 08-10-16, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by rfduncan
This.

Everything about this episode was fantastic from Dr. Brown's preacher-like rally call (with perfectly placed cuss words) to the hallucination sequence with Gamby and Russell. I was a little worried with the vandalism angle, but it escaped that with practically a 180. I'm SO cheering for Belinda now. Watching these two a-hole losers lose is the best!
I don't see Gamby as being completely terrible. He has shown that he does have loyalty towards the school. He may have some misguided or asshole traits where it comes to discipline, but I think he believes he's coming from a good place.

Yes, he has done horrendous things to Dr. Brown, but he was definitely provoked on some of the worst things by Russell.

I would say this will turn into a redemption story for him, but with this story going in some unpredictable ways, maybe that won't happen and we just end up with both of these characters in jail.
Old 08-10-16, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Notice that Gamby knows all the kids names. Russell's black heart doesn't know them and doesn't want to know them.
Old 08-10-16, 10:22 AM

Location: Stuck in traffic on the 5 fwy somewhere in Los Angeles
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This show is fangoddamnfuckingtastic! It keeps twisting when at moments I think it is about to become predictable. I truly felt sorry for Dr. Brown's kids when she questions them about their home burning down.

Neal trying to avoid Ms. Abbott's kiss and him saying "I love you" to her after the blow job LMFAO! That entire scene! Am I the only one that finds "bangs" (Ms. Abbott) to be super fucking hot. She's perfect playing bats hit crazy.

Absolutely loved the drug trip. This show is great. I'm bummed knowing this (according to McBride) is a one and done series but at the same time respect that they won't drag it on burning people out in the process.
Old 08-10-16, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The show is really picking up for me. 4th was the best yet and I get the feeling they've settled into the tone of the show.
Old 08-10-16, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Yeah, I like how with each episode, all the main characters seem to be gaining more and more depth.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.