Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S5E09) - "The Dance of Dragons" - 6/7/15

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-15, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S5E09) - "The Dance of Dragons" - 6/7/15

I'm a book reader and none of it bothers me because it's a fictional show about dragons. It's a long intricate story that hasn't been finished in any medium other than GRRM's mind and a few select people he has let on (if those rumors are true). Because there is no end to the story I can't fathom people calling events unnecessary just because they morally don't like it.

Is Sansa's story a story of revenge? Retribution? A wasted life? We don't know and I'd assume the number of people that do know are few and far between.
Old 06-07-15, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Arya's is the worst Faceless Person ever: we're supposed to believe that she's learned something while she bumbles around?
Well she is still in training.
Old 06-07-15, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Someone posts an opinion and the "I'm much smarter than you" internet tough guys come out. What a bunch of children.
I'll admit that the ire behind my statement was an accumulation from reading the reactions from the episode two weeks ago to tonight's episode and not necessarily at just your comment. But I still stand behind my main point.
Old 06-07-15, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This show is asking serious questions about what we should consider "entertainment" to be. I don't think it's ever pushed the limit this far. The degradation the show subjected Sansa to a few weeks ago was unnecessary.
You definitely wouldn't have liked the wedding night in the book if you thought that was bad.
Old 06-07-15, 09:59 PM
Banned

Good episode but probably Nutter's weakest. Some spotty writing and pacing here. The 180° of Stannis after the earlier Melisandre scene wasn't convincing. I realize he was desperate but it just didn't ring true. Maybe if they had him receive word that Book Spoiler
Spoiler:
Balon had fallen off that bridge at Pyke and died, taking it as a sign during his darkest hour

Last weeks' was superior.
Old 06-07-15, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Nausicaa
I have to laugh a little now the show is going in a different direction from the books. I recall all the book readers in previous seasons reacting to show watchers surprise at all the awful shit that happens in the series. "Just WAIT until you see what happens to so and so". Now a lot of book readers seem to be shocked and offended at what's happening on the show?
It's one thing for a show to be dark. It's another thing for a show to be sadistic and about half as smart as it thinks it is. This show has never cut from blood curdling scream of a child being burned to death to a slightly cheesy Gladiator rip off. The idea that somehow we can immediately shift gears and empathize with b-grade character Jorah's pointless story indicates to me that the show runners have lost the plot. They seem to be doing things just because it's shocking. The show seems to have decided that's since it's known for going places no other show will, it will do so at every turn. That's predictable and not clever. Say what you want about GRRM's books: they're not predictable and they are clever.
Old 06-07-15, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

It seems like Stannis is causing some problems for himself. His wife seems to be past childbearing years, so who will succeed him now that his one heir is dead?

After the mom seeming so cold to her daughter throughout the series, it was nice to see her be the one to speak up for her. Just too late.
Old 06-07-15, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Whoa, that scene with Shireen might be the most heartbreaking in the entire series.
Pretty much.

I guess we were due to lose a beloved character sooner or later.

Assholes.

I was finally starting to like Stannis, too.

Blah.

And then the end of the ep gave me goosebumps.
Old 06-07-15, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
It seems like Stannis is causing some problems for himself. His wife seems to be past childbearing years, so who will succeed him now that his one heir is dead?

After the mom seeming so cold to her daughter throughout the series, it was nice to see her be the one to speak up for her. Just too late.
I'm sure Melisandre will bear him an evil as fuck shadow spawn to succeed him.
Old 06-07-15, 10:58 PM

What does it say about me that I was disappointed that they didn't show the actual burning

Pretty good episode, but anything was probably going to be a drop off from ep. 8.
Old 06-07-15, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Excellent episode.

The scene with Shireen was telegraphed when Stannis sent Davos off and Davos said goodbye in his actions. So sad... but I think it sets many things in motion.

Pure conjecture on my part, but I will put it in spoilers anyway

Spoiler:

I can't imagine Davos ever supporting Stannis again. Hoping he'll return with Jon, The Night's Watch and a certain giant and win Stannis' men away from him and give him some of his pwn medicine. Then, head to Winterfell and take it from the Boltons... with Sansa exacting revenge on Ramsay in a very familiar way... only Ramsay will experience it from the other end of the knife... and, Jon could get his revenge on Roose Bolton for the Red Wedding.

This could set the stage for a showdown with the White Walkers and the wights. It would mainly need for Jon and company to join forces with Dany and some other matters to work themselves out. I would LOVE to see Tyrion rule in King's Landing (karma!).

If these events could come together, it would be epic and the long wait will have been worth it. Everyone united south of the wall, fighting together with the dragons in the battle to end all battles (for a few centuries at least). I know a lot of character's paths have to be cleared up along the way before this or anything similar could happen.
Old 06-07-15, 11:51 PM
Banned

Interesting to note about tonight's episode:
Spoiler:
It was G.R.R.M. who posited the idea to have Shireen sacrificed to D&D. Perhaps like the reveal of the Night's King last season, it may be a glimpse of what to expect in Book 6.
Old 06-07-15, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Yeah, Davos obviously believes he owes a lot to Stannis, but he also betrayed him when he freed Gendry. He's not a blind follower. I really can't see Davos accepting what was done to Shireen, though I'm not sure what form that will take.
Old 06-07-15, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by EctoCooler
Interesting to note about tonight's episode:
Spoiler:
It was G.R.R.M. who posited the idea to have Shireen sacrificed to D&D. Perhaps like the reveal of the Night's King last season, it may be a glimpse of what to expect in Book 6.
Interesting.

I wonder how much of the book plots D&D actually know. Did Martin give them full outlines of what's going to happen, or did he just give them a paragraph or so about how it is going to end?
Old 06-08-15, 12:09 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Shireen being burned didn't bother me as much as a lot of you because I for some reason assumed she would survive it or come back later somehow. If not, then yes, brutal.
Old 06-08-15, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Random thoughts.

Did Jorah give Dany greyscale? Did Dany give greyscale to Missandrei and Drogon? Can a dragon get greyscale?
Old 06-08-15, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts

This series began with someone pushing a child out of a window. I'm not sure why anyone is surprised with what happened tonight. Also it's a fictional show. The actress who played Shireen is just fine in reall life. No reason to get upset about the ADR sounds of her screams that she probably recorded in a sound stage some place.

That was a hell of an episode. The Harpys showing up was an "oh fuck" moment and then Dany closed her eyes. That was an even bigger OH FUCK.

Goddamn I love this show.
Old 06-08-15, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
Surprised nobody has mentioned the child prostitution yet.
I'm sure there will be offended parties out there.
Old 06-08-15, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMadMonk
Fuck you, Stannis.
Glad to see this so early in the thread. I can only hope his death is excruciatingly painful, and slow. And Melisandre should have a slow painful, but naked, death.

Drogon was awesome! I did fear for his life, though, at times.

And also, fuck you again, Stannis!
Old 06-08-15, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The child prostitution thing, only because of the way it played out and what seemed like the lady dragging out some random girl and the sleezy way the guy looked, actually felt worse to me then Shireen getting burned. A lot of that is because it felt like her sacrifice was projected and we just hear the screams off screen.

Either way, none of these things offend me at all. I still don't really get the complaints about the Sansa thing even weeks later still, and it's still strange to me that anyone takes offense to what happens on a TV show, especially after everything that's happened. I don't see how anything here is any more gratuitous or shock value then in the past.

Anyway, the attack on Dany totally surprised me and loved the way it ended. Although it just made me think of How to Train Your Dragon and that she would totally fall off
Old 06-08-15, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by aktick
Shireen being burned didn't bother me as much as a lot of you because I for some reason assumed she would survive it or come back later somehow. If not, then yes, brutal.
I'm pretty sure she's gonna come back somehow.

A lot these things that people are having "trouble" with are things used to the make the bad guys so bad, that when they get their comeuppance, it'll feel that much better.
Old 06-08-15, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

at Dany's "peace out" at the end while just leaving her crew there in the murder pit.

She should hire the Sons of the Harpy as her army since they're apparently the best fighting force in the world despite the fact that they're mostly old rich guys in togas wielding small knives.
Old 06-08-15, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
He would have needed a son anyway.
Old 06-08-15, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,497 Posts

Yeah, davos's return is going to be interesting to say the least. I can kind of see it from Stannis's perspective. While it didn't justify what he did, I'm pretty sure most other options included Shireen either dying in a losing battle or something just as bad. Though I also wondered what his succession plan was. And I hope he got a three for one deal again, because if he gets to Kings Landing he'll be out of Baratheon sacrifices...

I'm sure we would have had a lot of ticked off viewers had Stannis had a change of heart at the last minute and saved Shireen after all that foreshadowing, so I'm not sure what people expected, other than her surviving, which is still at least a little up in the air.

It wasn't clear to me at the end, was Dany ditching them or just showing off the dragon with the ground war already pretty much won? Was she coming back to help them? I know those guys aren't dying after that, just seemed weird that she almost ran away.

I dunno if sending my son and heir to Kings Landing would have been what I would have done, but we'll see. I guess word hasn't gotten to Dorne about what's going on yet.
Old 06-08-15, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

It looked to me that Danny was saving Drogo by getting him out of there. I didn't really that spears could get through his skin. I guess he isn't old enough to have tank armor like skin yet?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.