TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S5E09) - "The Dance of Dragons" - 6/7/15

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-15, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones (S5E09) - "The Dance of Dragons" - 6/7/15

Originally Posted by bluetoast
To all the people saying this ep went too far: I suggest you never watch Oz.
Eh, they're criminals they deserved it.
Old 06-08-15, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Didn't expect it to happen but was silently hoping that Davos would attempt to smuggle Shireen out of the camp (which obviously lacks in the picket department). Too bad Davos can't make a claim on the Iron Throne...aside from Jon, Brienne, Dany, and perhaps Tyrion, he's one of the few honorable, competent, brave characters left.
Brienne is honorable and brave but she's far from competent. She completely botched not one, but two attempts to explain her intentions to the Stark children.
Old 06-08-15, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by actionjackson29
Eh, they're criminals they deserved it.
Except for
Spoiler:
when someone's child is kidnapped at the orders of another inmate and he receives said child's hand in a package. Or other shit involving killing kids, or raping mentally handicapped people, among other things done to innocent or undeserving parties.
Old 06-08-15, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
No shit. Either dragons and the Unsullied have been massively overhyped in the GoT world, or the SotH are playing in full-on beast mode, because they were mowing down Unsullied and were about to take out the freaking dragon. Either that, or they have some stupid-strong plot armor.
I really liked this episode but this bit annoyed me too. I believe what they're going for is to show us that the SotH use these guerrilla tactics to sneak a big army around the city. The reason they can go toe to toe with the unsullied is because they outnumber them five to one. But it didn't come across like that at all on TV for some reason.
Old 06-08-15, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B.A.
I was wondering the same thing.
Probably just to have the cool scene of them standing at the gates.
Old 06-08-15, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I really liked this episode but this bit annoyed me too. I believe what they're going for is to show us that the SotH use these guerrilla tactics to sneak a big army around the city. The reason they can go toe to toe with the unsullied is because they outnumber them five to one. But it didn't come across like that at all on TV for some reason.
That's kind of always an issue I've had with this show. The numbers never seem to make sense. It seems like its just a budget thing for most scenes, but this one definitely stood out to me.
Old 06-08-15, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

I liked how the Harpy threw 3-4 spears into Drogon's neck area instead of aiming a single one at Danny as she just stood there in front of him completely unguarded.
Old 06-08-15, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Interesting.

I wonder how much of the book plots D&D actually know. Did Martin give them full outlines of what's going to happen, or did he just give them a paragraph or so about how it is going to end?
I believe it was more of an outline, but I'm not sure.
Old 06-08-15, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy shit! That was a great episode!
Old 06-08-15, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nefarious
I liked how the Harpy threw 3-4 spears into Drogon's neck area instead of aiming a single one at Danny as she just stood there in front of him completely unguarded.
Yeah, that thought came to me a few times as well.
Old 06-08-15, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
No shit. Either dragons and the Unsullied have been massively overhyped in the GoT world, or the SotH are playing in full-on beast mode, because they were mowing down Unsullied and were about to take out the freaking dragon. Either that, or they have some stupid-strong plot armor.
I think the Unsullied are trained to fight in Phalanx formations, so they are very difficult to beat when fighting as a coordinated military unit, but they are easier to beat when fighting in a one-on-one way.

(Something like this was said about the warriors of ancient Troy. When fighting one-on-one, they were no better than any other place's warriors. But when fighting as a unit, they were the best army in the world.)
Old 06-08-15, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

All the people talking about never watching this show again remind me of all the people in high school who, while puking their brains out behind the bushes of some kid's house while his parents are out of town, claim that they're "never drinking again". Yet, the next Friday night, they're under the bleachers at the football stadium throwing up again after drinking too much before the game even began.
Old 06-08-15, 09:31 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Now, HBO has gone too far. I'm sick and disgusted by what I saw last night, and am strongly considering canceling my subscription.

I think you all know what I'm talking about:

Spoiler:
Jon Oliver drinking a Bud Light Lime?
Old 06-08-15, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dhmac
I think the Unsullied are trained to fight in Phalanx formations, so they are very difficult to beat when fighting as a coordinated military unit, but they are easier to beat when fighting in a one-on-one way.

(Something like this was said about the warriors of ancient Troy. When fighting one-on-one, they were no better than any other place's warriors. But when fighting as a unit, they were the best army in the world.)
Sure, that makes sense, but they are still being defeated by nobles with knives, not well equipped and well trained warriors.
Old 06-08-15, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by John Galt
All the people talking about never watching this show again remind me of all the people in high school who, while puking their brains out behind the bushes of some kid's house while his parents are out of town, claim that they're "never drinking again". Yet, the next Friday night, they're under the bleachers at the football stadium throwing up again after drinking too much before the game even began.

The funniest was after they would puke their guts out they would start to apologize to everyone as they were coming down from being so drunk. Then they would get all philosophical about changing the way they were doing things in life cause they would get so depressed.
Old 06-08-15, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Okay, no one needs to give shit to George R.R. Martin at this point . D&D are the ones taking it into all of this dark territory . They've given us the rape of an already suffering character , pedophilia for sale, and the cold blooded killing of a young defenseless girl in the last half of this season . Lord help them if they actually follow the books next week.
That was actually similar to something in a released chapter from book 6.
Old 06-08-15, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hiro11
It's one thing for a show to be dark. It's another thing for a show to be sadistic and about half as smart as it thinks it is. This show has never cut from blood curdling scream of a child being burned to death to a slightly cheesy Gladiator rip off. The idea that somehow we can immediately shift gears and empathize with b-grade character Jorah's pointless story indicates to me that the show runners have lost the plot. They seem to be doing things just because it's shocking. The show seems to have decided that's since it's known for going places no other show will, it will do so at every turn. That's predictable and not clever. Say what you want about GRRM's books: they're not predictable and they are clever.
Shireen's burning has been heavily foreshadowed in the books and the show. Stannis has been set up as a tragic figure since his introduction. The promo for next week showed the snow melting to allow Stannis' army to march, so as awful as the burning was, it worked.
Old 06-08-15, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Now, HBO has gone too far. I'm sick and disgusted by what I saw last night, and am strongly considering canceling my subscription.

I think you all know what I'm talking about:

Spoiler:
Jon Oliver drinking a Bud Light Lime?
Speaking of that though, aside from FIFA, does he ever follow up on any of the shit he talks about? He rails on a topic but then it's rarely heard from again, and the audience is temporarily outraged then forgets about it the next day.
Old 06-08-15, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,027 Likes on 726 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Except for
Spoiler:
when someone's child is kidnapped at the orders of another inmate and he receives said child's hand in a package. Or other shit involving killing kids, or raping mentally handicapped people, among other things done to innocent or undeserving parties.
Man, I forgot about some of those things. What a brutal, but great, show!

Regarding Arya, in this episode, "A girl is far too obvious in her observing."

Seriously, was it three times she got caught staring at Trant?
Old 06-08-15, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

On that note, I assume Jaqen anticipated Trant's arrival? Because he didn't slap/hit her for lying about the Thin Man not being hungry.
Old 06-08-15, 09:58 AM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see Kit Harington is making the rounds on talk shows this week. Kimmel Wednesday and Corden Thursday.
Old 06-08-15, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I liked the way in the fighting pit scene how it began with the stands being safe with the danger being located in the arena where the gladiators were fighting. And then it switched to the stands being the more dangerous place and it being safer to climb down into the arena's fighting pit.

And I had suspected that Hizdahr was secretly working somehow with the Sons of the Harpy, but I guess I was wrong about that. (Either way, I never liked the character and am glad he's dead.)
Old 06-08-15, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too am disappointed that the Unsullied are so easily taken down even if this was supposed to be an ambush of some sort.

I'm self rationalizing that the Harpy's are hiring sell swords to fight for them or at least with them. That's how I'm thinking of it until the show explains how this is happening.
Old 06-08-15, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Guys, I don't think the Sons of the Harpy are old nobles with knives, there are too many of them to be the Meereenese upper class. I'm sure the nobles are the ones orchestrating the attacks, and the ones we see fighting are mercenaries paid off by the nobles.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Interesting.

I wonder how much of the book plots D&D actually know. Did Martin give them full outlines of what's going to happen, or did he just give them a paragraph or so about how it is going to end?
The producers spent a week with Martin at his place in Santa Fe getting detailed outlines of what happens to each character and plot line in the remaining books. Rest assured, Shireen gets sacrificed in book 6.
Old 06-08-15, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

The sullying of the Unsullied has been a big problem this season, and it didn't make sense to not see Greyworm there.

Was Jorah really taking a shot at Dany?

I thought it was a big episode, but not the level we've seen in previous seasons. It sounds like the producers are switching up the formula to emphasize episode 10 instead of 9--at least I hope that's what happens.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.