Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Game of Thrones (S5E09) - "The Dance of Dragons" - 6/7/15

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones (S5E09) - "The Dance of Dragons" - 6/7/15

Old 06-08-15, 03:03 AM

Re: Game of Thrones (S5E09) - "The Dance of Dragons" - 6/7/15

Since I assumed all along that Stannis brought his family with him because he planned to sacrifice Shireen if he had to, I'm frankly a little surprised by people's reaction to it. Hell, even Davos suspected. Granted I was hoping I was wrong, but I'm far from surprised.
Old 06-08-15, 03:08 AM
Banned

Did the end scene remind anyone else of that pos Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones?
Old 06-08-15, 03:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
It's one thing for a show to be dark. It's another thing for a show to be sadistic and about half as smart as it thinks it is. This show has never cut from blood curdling scream of a child being burned to death to a slightly cheesy Gladiator rip off. The idea that somehow we can immediately shift gears and empathize with b-grade character Jorah's pointless story indicates to me that the show runners have lost the plot. They seem to be doing things just because it's shocking. The show seems to have decided that's since it's known for going places no other show will, it will do so at every turn. That's predictable and not clever. Say what you want about GRRM's books: they're not predictable and they are clever.
I don't agree that it's pointless and sadistic. What happened was horrible, but it emphasized Stannis' desperation. He can't wait this out, or go back to Castle Black. He felt this completely shitty thing was his only chance. And it sounds like a lot of your issue was the transition to the Mereen scene? That wasn't just Jorah's story--it might've changed the whole course of Mereen, which also includes Tyrion now. But would the burning scene really have been less offensive if it had closed the episode? I feel the arena scene was much more impactful as a closer.

Originally Posted by fumanstan View Post
Either way, none of these things offend me at all. I still don't really get the complaints about the Sansa thing even weeks later still, and it's still strange to me that anyone takes offense to what happens on a TV show, especially after everything that's happened. I don't see how anything here is any more gratuitous or shock value then in the past.

Originally Posted by fujishig View Post
It wasn't clear to me at the end, was Dany ditching them or just showing off the dragon with the ground war already pretty much won? Was she coming back to help them? I know those guys aren't dying after that, just seemed weird that she almost ran away.
I was wondering too. In fact, I was thinking she might just be done with Mereen and she was just going to fly off.

I did feel the Drogon entry was telegraphed by the episode title, and the fact that they were totally screwed without some kind of deus ex machina. When Dany closed her eyes (they said in the post-episode rundown
Spoiler:
that she was resigning herself to her fate
), I thought she was calling to him. I know, she probably can't do that even if she wanted to.

Originally Posted by EctoCooler View Post
Did the end scene remind anyone else of that pos Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones?
Yes, plus callouts to the Viper and the Mountain battle, of course.
Old 06-08-15, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'll watch the season finale, but I might really be done with GoT after that. I remember season 2 being very heavy on the suffering/torture...and it was hard for me to get through then, but I think this yr might have the most. The simple truth is I've never really gotten any enjoyment out of the series - it's always felt like I've just endured it.. week after week. Not really seeing a net gain for me personally anymore.
Old 06-08-15, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

If you're going to be done with the show, then why even bother watching the season finale? Come on now, this whole "I'M DONE WITH THIS SHIT! buuuuuuutt I'll just watch one more" nonsense that people seem to be stomping on about here and elsewhere on the internet is just stupid considering the show started off the way it did and has continued to use children in violent situations.
Old 06-08-15, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton View Post
If you're going to be done with the show, then why even bother watching the season finale? Come on now, this whole "I'M DONE WITH THIS SHIT! buuuuuuutt I'll just watch one more" nonsense that people seem to be stomping on about here and elsewhere on the internet is just stupid considering the show started off the way it did and has continued to use children in violent situations.

People have been "DONE WITH THIS SHOW!!" since the second episode of the first season when Sansa's direwolf died.
Old 06-08-15, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've been mulling over what to think of this episode and I leaning towards it sucked. I'd rather they not even have shown the Wall if we weren't gonna get Jon telling the other about what happened. Really just Ollie yet again shooting daggers with his disgust.

Am I right that they're using an entire different crew to shoot those Dorne scenes on location in Spain. What an incredible waste of money and time. I liked Oberyn so I was hoping for some cool stuff in Dorne.

The Arya plot wasn't bad if not a little boring. I sort of expected more of this storyline most of the season she's just swept floors and washed corpses. Ser Meryn showing is fortuitous but, I'm hoping she leaves Braavos after this season.

When Tyrion showed up in Mereen I thought he'd saved this storyline. I was wrong. I guess the Sons of the Harpy vs. the Unsullied are supposed to be a Vietnam or Iraq metaphor but, seeing it happen just makes me roll my eyes. It was like they teleported in with how fast they overwhelmed everyone. What bothers me so much is how incompetent the Unsullied are against an armed opponent. People said they got slaughtered in that alley because they were boxed in but this was a more open space and they still got beaten. Drogon coming to save the day was good and hopefully the other dragons get released now. I'd be very afraid if I were one of the great families of Mereen as she might annihilate them all after this.

And lastly, I knew Stannis was desperate but, I didn't think he would go through with it. And I don't think it'll reward him in the way he wants it to. And the act itself makes me hate both Stannis and Melisandre who were some of my favorite characters there irredeemable in my eyes.
Old 06-08-15, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by EctoCooler View Post
That is exactly what I thought of when they were all surrounded in the Coliseum, as I was watching for Yoda to appear with the Clones!

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post

I don't want to be one of those "never watching this show again" people but I have to say that I'm genuinely offended tonight.
I just don't understand statements like this as Game of Thrones is in its 5th season and they have done horrible stuff to all sorts of characters, so how can anyone be offended at anything at this point? It's like listening to Howard Stern for 5-6 years, and then getting offended at one thing he says about a particular group of people, yet that what he does day in and day out!

Yes that scene was tough to watch with Stannis's daughter, but I give the creators credit for having the balls to say that nothing is off limits. I will never undestand why there is certain 'unwritten' rules by the viewer that a TV can't do this, and can't do that. This is an ugly world from day one and lets not forget in the very first show a little boy getting thrown off the tower and being paralyzed? Honestly, last nights episode was just par for the course IMO.

Last edited by mcnabb; 06-08-15 at 05:17 AM.
Old 06-08-15, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

OMG Horrible people doing horrible things in a fictional TV show, which makes me upset... I'm offended! /quit
Old 06-08-15, 07:03 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

One thing that didn't make sense is why Jon and company came to Castle Black when they could have sailed down to Eastwatch and around the wall.

Let's get off the ships and march through the woods where the army of the undead is and hope that a group of people who are completely against what I'm doing open the gate.
Old 06-08-15, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
OMG Horrible people doing horrible things in a fictional TV show, which makes me upset... I'm offended! /quit
You guys are being silly now the fucking writers want us to be upset when bad things happen to the characters. This mocking of fellow posters is pointless.
Old 06-08-15, 07:31 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.

Originally Posted by actionjackson29 View Post
You guys are being silly now the fucking writers want us to be upset when bad things happen to the characters. This mocking of fellow posters is pointless.
Upset, yes, but offended? If this episode offended you, then this show isn't for you.

Last edited by Bandoman; 06-08-15 at 08:07 AM.
Old 06-08-15, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have no problem with someone who loves a character in any TV show and is upset after their death. The problem is people are complaining they are done with the show because of specific plot points that they disagree with and that certain things should be off-limits.

As I said, the very first episode had a little boy gets thrown out of a window and is paralyzed so this wasn't some normal show. You then had a pregnant women gets stabbed at a wedding, a man get mutilated, an 8 year old kid getting breast fed, etc.

But when you have a popular character raped or burned then people are offended? That's why we are mocking them because you can't pick and choose what is so offensive in a world where a character rode off on a dragon last night!
Old 06-08-15, 07:37 AM
Banned

So Stannis has officially joined the ranks of those vying to become the new Mad King? Or at least, the new Darth Vader?

Didn't expect it to happen but was silently hoping that Davos would attempt to smuggle Shireen out of the camp (which obviously lacks in the picket department). Too bad Davos can't make a claim on the Iron Throne...aside from Jon, Brienne, Dany, and perhaps Tyrion, he's one of the few honorable, competent, brave characters left. Guess I should include Bran. Arya's gone rogue, and Sansa isn't competent enough. Rickon is...well, Rickon.

Or the vote could swing to Hodor. At least everyone knows where he stands on every issue.

(As some have perhaps alluded to, Shireen could possibly return & solve an unresolved story issue for many readers/viewers. Although not sure how this would work considering the circumstances of her death. I'd say that we've seen the last of Shireen. )

Last edited by creekdipper; 06-08-15 at 07:45 AM.
Old 06-08-15, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Am I right that they're using an entire different crew to shoot those Dorne scenes on location in Spain. What an incredible waste of money and time. I liked Oberyn so I was hoping for some cool stuff in Dorne.
In this Behind the Scenes featurette, they talk about filming the scene of Dorne in a real place called Alcazar of Seville that's difficult to get filming permits for.

And I heard elsewhere that they were only allowed to film in the location for just 1 week so maybe they had to rush filming all the Dornish scenes in order to get all of these scenes for the entire season filmed within that narrow window of time. Such a rush may be why so many of the Dorne scenes seem poorly done.

Old 06-08-15, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by MoviePage View Post
She should hire the Sons of the Harpy as her army since they're apparently the best fighting force in the world despite the fact that they're mostly old rich guys in togas wielding small knives.
No shit. Either dragons and the Unsullied have been massively overhyped in the GoT world, or the SotH are playing in full-on beast mode, because they were mowing down Unsullied and were about to take out the freaking dragon. Either that, or they have some stupid-strong plot armor.

I was surprised Jorah fared as poorly as he did in the arena, for being one of the best swordsman (even though he ultimately won, after he got his ass saved by the spear wielder). The Braavosi with the rapier just utterly owned him. Maybe Grayscale is slowing him down some?
Old 06-08-15, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by MoviePage View Post
at Dany's "peace out" at the end while just leaving her crew there in the murder pit.

She should hire the Sons of the Harpy as her army since they're apparently the best fighting force in the world despite the fact that they're mostly old rich guys in togas wielding small knives.
Yeah, this whole Harpy thing is confusing. First, they rich people but somehow better fighters then the Sullied (who were raised to fight).

Second, where the hell were Grey Worm and all of the other Sullied. She had a large army but there were not many of them in the area.

And yeah, Danny taking over to go to do some site seeing and to chill with Drogon was hilarious.
Old 06-08-15, 08:12 AM
Banned

Was this the episode that was supposed to "break the internet?" Or is that the finale?

Agree that the Sons of the Harpy appear to be overly-accomplished fighters compared to the Unsullied with their deadly reputation. Although the SOH appeared to be a little slow on the uptake after the initial Drogon barbecue.

Pretty decent flying scenes with Dany. Hard to pull off that kind of thing...found it actually kind of inspiring & moving.

If having to rush through the Dorne location shoot accounts for some of the lack of quality, hope they've learned their lesson. Just CGI the sets & concentrate on getting good takes. The location was beautiful but not worth the aggravation if that's what happened.

I'd give Ser Jorah a break. He's aging, has been through quite a journey, has already fought several people, has had his hopes crushed, and is suffering from greyscale. His opponents were well-rested, younger, and probably didn't have a lot of mental conflicts going on.
Old 06-08-15, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by creekdipper View Post
Was this the episode that was supposed to "break the internet?" Or is that the finale?
That's episode 10, the finale. And a lot of people from the show have claimed that it's the best episode of this whole season.
Old 06-08-15, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

GOT creators talk about last nights episode:

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainme...nce-of-Dragons
Old 06-08-15, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dhmac View Post
That's episode 10, the finale. And a lot of people from the show have claimed that it's the best episode of this whole season.
Oh boy, the SJWs and morality police will be unbearable I assume. I swear I'm waiting for PETA to be outraged over the mistreatment of the dragons at some point.
Old 06-08-15, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

To all the people saying this ep went too far: I suggest you never watch Oz.
Old 06-08-15, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
To all the people saying this ep went too far: I suggest you never watch Oz.
They'd never use a spoon again!
Old 06-08-15, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Artman View Post
I'll watch the season finale, but I might really be done with GoT after that. I remember season 2 being very heavy on the suffering/torture...and it was hard for me to get through then, but I think this yr might have the most. The simple truth is I've never really gotten any enjoyment out of the series - it's always felt like I've just endured it.. week after week. Not really seeing a net gain for me personally anymore.
So stop watching and get out of this thread then Francis.
Old 06-08-15, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MrX View Post
One thing that didn't make sense is why Jon and company came to Castle Black when they could have sailed down to Eastwatch and around the wall.

Let's get off the ships and march through the woods where the army of the undead is and hope that a group of people who are completely against what I'm doing open the gate.
I was wondering the same thing.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.