TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jeopardy! Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-21, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

Originally Posted by movieguru
What daytime show are you referring to? Jeopardy! does not have a daytime edition.
Jeopardy airs at 3:30pm in Chicago... it's between Inside Edition and before the 4pm evening news. Wheel of Fortune comes later at 6:30pm as the buffer between local news and primetime tv.
Old 08-25-21, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
It's syndicated. Just because that's your time doesn't mean it's everyone's time. Jeopardy airs where I live at 3 pm, which doesn't seem very late to me. Since Wheel of Fortune airs at 6:30 pm in my area, should it no longer be considered a daytime show anywhere? But as stated, before prime time equals daytime.
I'm used to it being on at 7 PM where I'm at and most of the other areas where I have vacationed at. I had never heard they aired it earlier unless accounting for time zones in some areas. I know back in the 1980's when the original Wheel of Fortune was on in the mornings and new show came out with Pat Sajak, they were always referred to as the morning Wheel of Fortune and the nighttime Wheel of Fortune. Same thing in the 1970's when The Price is Right had a night time version that was aired at 7 pm.

According to the rules for the Emmys, syndicated shows can be entered in either the Daytime Emmys or the Primetime Emmys. Star Trek TNG while syndicated, won awards in the Primetime Emmy's even though the show aired early in some markets.
Old 08-25-21, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

The times of day for TV are Morning Shows which run form early morning until 10am, Daytime Shows 10a-7:30p, Primetime Shows 8-11 pm and Late Night 11:30-2(?). Jeopardy is a daytime show.
Old 08-25-21, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Primetime in AZ is not 8-11. It is 7-10.
Old 08-25-21, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Primetime in AZ is not 8-11. It is 7-10.
Pfft, everybody knows Mountain and Central time zones are bogus (though with the lack of daylights savings in AZ makes it sync up somewhere.) /s
Old 08-25-21, 06:25 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,834 Likes on 1,229 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
The times of day for TV are Morning Shows which run form early morning until 10am, Daytime Shows 10a-7:30p, Primetime Shows 8-11 pm and Late Night 11:30-2(?). Jeopardy is a daytime show.
what about the poor shows that run from 7:30pm to 8pm? Do they just have to suck it?
Old 08-25-21, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

I don't get it if Richards has all of these problems why can he still stay on as a producer?

Wouldn't it be better to just get rid of him completely?
Old 08-25-21, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,201 Likes on 4,228 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
what about the poor shows that run from 7:30pm to 8pm? Do they just have to suck it?
A 7:30 pm show (ET or PT) is a daytime show. An 8 PM show is Prime Time show. So your example is a daytime show. .
Old 08-25-21, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I don't get it if Richards has all of these problems why can he still stay on as a producer?

Because they’re flailing. I expect he’ll be gone really soon.
Old 08-25-21, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca

Yes, and they probably will very soon. It's not like it was with Trump where we pretty much had to wait until the four years were up.
Old 08-25-21, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
And in the extensive The Ringer article, it says that Richards manipulated the focus group so that he would appear the best, deciding which episodes the focus group would see from every candidate, That’s a huge conflict of interest on his part, especially considering as the article pointed out, that it was a widely known secret that he desperately wanted to host the show.
As stated, that source may not be the best. But even if it is correct, it seem to fuel the same paradoxical argument. That Richards was simultaneously pre-picked before all the guest hosting happened and also not picked at all because he was manipulating focus groups so whoever does the picking would pick him? The whole thing doesn't make a ton of sense either. Besides the fact that there's little difference between shows for most hosts, are we to believe that focus groups were dictating the selection of the next Jeopardy host? I don't doubt someone at least looked into that, but what actual weight did these focus groups carry?

I'll admit I'm not mining the internet looking for every fact I can find on the Jeopardy host selection process. Frankly, I doubt most of what actually happened is even public knowledge. There's a few small tidbits, a lot of conjecture, and a lot of complaining for a show that I think most doing the complaining barely (if ever) watch. But, based on what I saw, Richards seemed like he did a good job and would be a good host. So while he certainly had an inside advantage, it was not superficially a bad pick (I checked out some rankings people had out of curiosity. And was genuinely surprised at some of them. But, on the whole, Richards rated very, very well). If it was just based on hosting, Richards probably would have been fine. It's the off-air persona that did him in.

P.S. As an additional comment on the rankings, I was shocked how high many had Levar Burton. He still generally was not ranked that high on average, but he'd probably be bottom 3 for me and I still don't get the grand push. He got a shot, it didn't go well. C'est la vie. There are better options.

The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (08-25-21)
Old 08-25-21, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

Originally Posted by Jericho
P.S. As an additional comment on the rankings, I was shocked how high many had Levar Burton. He still generally was not ranked that high on average, but he'd probably be bottom 3 for me and I still don't get the grand push. He got a shot, it didn't go well. C'est la vie. There are better options.
He's very likeable. I like him.. Always have. Wasn't a good host though and yeah I think that should matter
Old 08-26-21, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jericho
As stated, that source may not be the best. But even if it is correct, it seem to fuel the same paradoxical argument. That Richards was simultaneously pre-picked before all the guest hosting happened and also not picked at all because he was manipulating focus groups so whoever does the picking would pick him? The whole thing doesn't make a ton of sense either. Besides the fact that there's little difference between shows for most hosts, are we to believe that focus groups were dictating the selection of the next Jeopardy host? I don't doubt someone at least looked into that, but what actual weight did these focus groups carry?

I'll admit I'm not mining the internet looking for every fact I can find on the Jeopardy host selection process. Frankly, I doubt most of what actually happened is even public knowledge. There's a few small tidbits, a lot of conjecture, and a lot of complaining for a show that I think most doing the complaining barely (if ever) watch. But, based on what I saw, Richards seemed like he did a good job and would be a good host. So while he certainly had an inside advantage, it was not superficially a bad pick (I checked out some rankings people had out of curiosity. And was genuinely surprised at some of them. But, on the whole, Richards rated very, very well). If it was just based on hosting, Richards probably would have been fine. It's the off-air persona that did him in.

I think there would be an issue with looking at ratings and comparing episode ratings based on who was hosting the episode. Most shows get higher ratings right at the beginning of the season, then during sweeps weeks. Whomever is host during those times will by default have an unfair advantage over those that are hosting during times when there is lover overall television viewership. Also since guest hosting Jeopardy was a novel thing at the beginning of this season, people were more likely to tune in for the fist couple of guest hosts and later in the season the novelty would wear off and viewership would be less because peoples' interest in guest hosts may have waned somewhat as time progressed.

Last edited by movieguru; 08-26-21 at 11:04 AM.
Old 08-26-21, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by movieguru
I think there would be an issue with looking at ratings and comparing episode ratings based on who was hosting the episode. Most shows get higher ratings right at the beginning of the season, then during sweeps weeks. Whomever is host during those times will by default have an unfair advantage over those that are hosting during times when there is lover overall television viewership. Also since guest hosting Jeopardy was a novel thing at the beginning of this season, people were more likely to tune in for the fist couple of guest hosts and later in the season the novelty would wear off and viewership would be less because peoples' interest in guest hosts may have waned somewhat as time progressed.
I wasn't talking about viewership ratings. I was talking about random places on the internet ranking how they thought the guest hosts did and who was "best".
Old 08-27-21, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 724 Likes on 590 Posts

Who knew becoming the new host of Jeopardy would be the equivalent of running for the presidency where they go back and bring up all of your past transgressions.

The following 3 users liked this post by JeffTheAlpaca:
Boondock Saint (08-28-21), ddrknghtrtns (08-29-21), mikehunt (08-28-21)
Old 08-28-21, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

Were the people who like LaVar Burton today all watching Reading Rainbow when they were impressionable children? I have different associations. To me, it would be like wanting Brent Spiner as the new Jeopardy host. Besides, although I have an undying love of Mr Rogers, I wouldn't want him hosting a game show. It just doesn't make sense to me.
Old 08-29-21, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I was probably in the right age range to watch Reading Rainbow when it started, but never watched it. Even when I was eight, it seemed like it would have been too "kiddie" for my tastes.

I suppose that just the awareness that he hosted Reading Rainbow is enough to put him on the Jeopardy radar. LeVar Burton was also on Celebrity Jeopardy, and won, so he does have some Jeopardy pedigree. He also seemed to have the right kind of temperament for Jeopardy, sort of mild-mannered and intellectual.

I could see Brent Spiner hosting a game show like Family Feud or Match Game that would play more to his demeanor, a little snarky and sarcastic, laid back, and funny.
Old 08-30-21, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

In a post-Trump/Covid world where everything is falling to shit, I think we need more people like LaVar front and center. Just a wholesome person hosting a family friendly show.

That being said, I don't watch Jeopardy frequent enough to have a dog in the fight.

And yes, I was the right age-ish for Reading Rainbow, but wasn't an avid watcher.
GoldenJCJ (08-31-21)
Old 08-30-21, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
Were the people who like LaVar Burton today all watching Reading Rainbow when they were impressionable children? I have different associations. To me, it would be like wanting Brent Spiner as the new Jeopardy host. Besides, although I have an undying love of Mr Rogers, I wouldn't want him hosting a game show. It just doesn't make sense to me.
I was a teenager when Star Trek TNG came out, so I was a little too old for the Reading Rainbow at that time. I was aware of the show and that he was on it but I never watched the show. I only saw a bits and pieces of it when I was channel surfing. From the segments that I saw of Reading Rainbow, he sounded like he was a good host. I hoped he would be a good host for Jeopardy. On Jeopardy he didn't sound the same. He no longer had that youthful, exuberant voice he displayed on ST:TNG and the RR. I barely recognized his voiced. Obviously he has aged a bit and looked a lot older. It felt out of place seeing him in a suit instead of a uniform or sweater and without the eye piece.
Old 08-31-21, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I was right in the sweet spot. My dad worked the graveyard shift when I was young and sometimes I would only see him on weekends. Between Reading Rainbow when I was under 10 and Star Trek when I was 12/13+, Lavar was like a surrogate father to me. He probably taught me more life lessons than my parents did.
story (09-06-21)
Old 08-31-21, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I was a kid when Reading Rainbow was on the air. I didn’t watch it all the time or anything, but it was a program I watched as a kid. I later became a fan of Star Trek: The Next Generation.

I don’t think LeVar Burton was the best guest host, but I didn’t think he was that bad either. Also I think whoever gets chosen it’s hard to see how they’ll be based off of just a week. The longer a person is in a role like that they’re going to become more comfortable, and over time make it more their own.

You can’t just throw a guest host in and expect them to be great right away. Especially when the previous host was beloved, and did the show for so long.
Old 08-31-21, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/mik...ne-1235052887/

Variety says he was fired as EP. sounds like it’s uncertain if his five episodes that are in the can will even air. I think Sony has to dump them now. Too awkward.
Old 08-31-21, 11:40 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

Variety says he was fired as EP. sounds like it’s uncertain if his five episodes that are in the can will even air. I think Sony has to dump them now. Too awkward.
Dont they legally have to air them so the people who participates get paid?
Old 08-31-21, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya

Originally Posted by Gizmo
Dont they legally have to air them so the people who participates get paid?
I read the article more as they weren't sure whether the season would have the same start date. Like Gizmo says, I think they have to air those episodes. Plus, if the current champ lost during those episodes and it doesn't air, people will be upset about that, too.
Old 08-31-21, 12:17 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I read the article more as they weren't sure whether the season would have the same start date. Like Gizmo says, I think they have to air those episodes. Plus, if the current champ lost during those episodes and it doesn't air, people will be upset about that, too.
I remember there being some stupid game show that shot episode but never aired until years later on CW and the participates never got “paid” until they aired.

no reason not to air these. The general population doesn’t give a shot about Mike Richards or know anything going on. This is yet again another stupid ass thing where they bow down to a vocal minority. No one gives a shit.
Boondock Saint (08-31-21)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.