TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Jeopardy! Discussion

Old 09-18-21, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 320 Likes on 233 Posts
Re: Jeopardy! Discussion

[QUOTE=movieguru;13985434]
Originally Posted by tanman View Post
I thought the same thing his first go round. I was kind of thinking who the hell is this guy and why is he hosting. Oh he's the producer that's convenient. But then he was actually good. Good delivery and seemed sincere. Guess that was all a lie. Now I wonder if the entire premise of him hosting, that they couldn't find anybody because of the pandemic, was all a lie as well.[/QUOTE

He always seemed like the sleazy corporate executive type that works for retail companies.
I did not pick up on that at all his first go round. I actually thought he was pretty likeable. Guess I was way off.
Old 09-18-21, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,063 Likes on 1,327 Posts

[QUOTE=tanman;13985967]
Originally Posted by movieguru View Post

I did not pick up on that at all his first go round. I actually thought he was pretty likeable. Guess I was way off.
Some of that impression was baked into “Wow the EP had to improvise at the last minute and host the shows himself? That’s super-impressive, he seemed like a Pro!”. And all that was a lie.
Old 09-19-21, 05:21 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 336 Likes on 297 Posts

When do new shows, with new hosts air?
Old 09-19-21, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Monday starts the post-Richards host era. Mayim Bialik should be hosting
Old 09-19-21, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 235 Likes on 195 Posts

^Yes. I believe I read that she will host for 3 weeks. I'm guessing Ken will follow. Not sure how it's going to be split up, though.
Old 09-20-21, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
New episodes started last week, and new episodes run straight through July.
To summarize the hosts, the only things we know for sure are week 1 (which was last week) was Mike Richards and weeks 2-4 are Mayim Bialik. We know hosting duties are supposed to be split between Bialik and Ken Jennings for the rest of 2021, so assumably Ken Jennings will start at week 5.

I'm interested in whether they refer to Bialik and Jennings as hosts or guest hosts.
Old 09-20-21, 07:22 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 336 Likes on 297 Posts

^ I meant the new shows post Richards, obviously. I know it started with him already. Just didn’t know how many he filmed.
Old 09-20-21, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 2,063 Likes on 1,327 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman View Post
To summarize the hosts, the only things we know for sure are week 1 (which was last week) was Mike Richards and weeks 2-4 are Mayim Bialik. We know hosting duties are supposed to be split between Bialik and Ken Jennings for the rest of 2021, so assumably Ken Jennings will start at week 5.

I'm interested in whether they refer to Bialik and Jennings as hosts or guest hosts.
I didn't watch last week. How did they refer to Mike Richards?
Old 09-20-21, 07:06 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by joltman View Post

Not 100% certain, but on tonight's show, I'm pretty sure they referred to Bialik as "The Host of Jeopardy..."
Old 09-20-21, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 359 Likes on 283 Posts

Yeah, they did not say "guest host"

The girl could have won had she gotten the FJ answer, because Matt didn't.

And Mayim Bialik is my personal hero. After Matt's first "What's McCarthy?", she corrected him with "WHO is Charlie McCarthy?", then let it go for the rest of the show. I guess the pet peeve of so many viewers annoys her too but she could only do it once without seeming petulant.
Old 09-21-21, 08:25 AM

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I didn't watch last week. How did they refer to Mike Richards?
Simply as Host. Since Bialik was also referred to as Host, I bet Jennings will be as well. Not to mention Bialik and Jennings are both referred to as Hosts on the Jeopardy! about production page
Last season was the guests hosts, I guess this season will be the co-hosts.
Old 09-21-21, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff View Post
And Mayim Bialik is my personal hero. After Matt's first "What's McCarthy?", she corrected him with "WHO is Charlie McCarthy?", then let it go for the rest of the show. I guess the pet peeve of so many viewers annoys her too but she could only do it once without seeming petulant.
I loved that. I seem to remember her doing it again but a little less obvious.

Matt's annoying but he's a good player
Old 09-21-21, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mikehunt View Post

Yeah, I don't deny his talent and knowledge, as well as skill at playing the game. Just as I said so many times before, I prefer a competitive game rather than the runaway blowouts he does on a regular basis.

And the funny thing about Bialik's correction was that it was probably the most accurate Matt has been about using "what's" instead of "who is", as Charlie McCarthy is not a person but rather a wooden dummy.
Old 09-21-21, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 180 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehunt View Post

Didn't recognize that. I've gotten over the 'what's' by now. That was the first time I've seen Bialik host. She's dry, but announces things cleanly and clearly.

Last night presented the opportunity to knock him off, but 2nd place failed on FJ. She was a very good challenger (particularly for not finding a DD in DJ).

Pretty obvious that Matt's biggest hole is pop culture.
Old 09-21-21, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Didn't recognize that. I've gotten over the 'what's' by now. That was the first time I've seen Bialik host. She's dry, but announces things cleanly and clearly.
If you watch her more often, you'll see she throws in a little personality from time to time, but not so much as to make it all about herself. Like last night where she showed off her Spanish by providing the proper pronunciation of "vigilante" (I go total Peggy Hill when I try to pronounce anything with a "g" in Spanish....it's not like any of the ways the letter is pronounced in English, I fail miserably trying to emulate the proper way).

I remember from her guest host stint, one time there was an obvious answer (lowest dollar amount) and everyone missed it and she admonished the contestants, "C'mon, guys!".

So she does add a little flavor without being overbearing.
Old 09-22-21, 07:14 AM

If you watch her more often, you'll see she throws in a little personality from time to time, but not so much as to make it all about herself. Like last night where she showed off her Spanish by providing the proper pronunciation of "vigilante" (I go total Peggy Hill when I try to pronounce anything with a "g" in Spanish....it's not like any of the ways the letter is pronounced in English, I fail miserably trying to emulate the proper way).

I remember from her guest host stint, one time there was an obvious answer (lowest dollar amount) and everyone missed it and she admonished the contestants, "C'mon, guys!".

So she does add a little flavor without being overbearing.
Fortunately, she seemed to get over the snickering she did at all the 'fun' answers from her initial run, which was really my only complaint.
Old 10-04-21, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 93 Likes on 66 Posts

Not sure what time current Jeopardy shows air on the mainland. But here in Hawaii it's 4:30pm HST. I found a channel "yeti" on YouTube that airs them about 3.5 hours before we get them.
The channel also removes all the commercials. Run time is about 20 minutes. It's the same for Wheel of Fortune which airs 6:30pm HST. I ran across this channel last week Wednesday. But
today was the first time watching Jeopardy on the YouTube channel.
Old 10-04-21, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 503 Likes on 334 Posts

Today's episode was just embarrassing. They went into the first commercial break with Matt: $13,000, and the other two in the red.

Matt has been working on getting rid of his poker face and creating a better persona. I'd bet that a producer took him aside and said, "You need to be better television. It's supposed to be entertainment. Come on, help us out here."
Old 10-05-21, 07:30 AM

Based on this list (which hasn't been updated yet this week), Monday's win of 83,000 is the highest one-day total won by someone not named James Holzhauer (who still has the top 12 spots)
Old 10-05-21, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Matt has been working on getting rid of his poker face and creating a better persona. I'd bet that a producer took him aside and said, "You need to be better television. It's supposed to be entertainment. Come on, help us out here."
I wouldn't be surprised if the guys who excel at Jeopardy!, like James and Matt, are on the shallow end of the spectrum, so whenever one of these guys shows up they're probably going get someone who is poker-faced and not very chatty.
The following users liked this post:
chowderhead (10-05-21)
Old 10-07-21, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 69 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
Today's episode was just embarrassing. They went into the first commercial break with Matt: $13,000, and the other two in the red.
I know a lot of people probably love it, but these endless runs by people who just dominate the game really turn me off. Yes, some people will excel at the game, but retire them after a week or so. The rest of the contestants never have a chance. Imagine your life's goal is to compete on Jeopardy and ten questions in one player has already buried you.

The following users liked this post:
Norm de Plume (10-14-21)
Old 10-07-21, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

That's what I've been saying.

And even though it wouldn't have made a difference, I thought that one guy got a raw deal just because he misspelled "Biathlon"
Old 10-08-21, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 180 Likes on 146 Posts

And even though it wouldn't have made a difference, I thought that one guy got a raw deal just because he misspelled "Biathlon"
That was weird. You are allowed a misspelling (there was actually one earlier this week that was allowed), but apparently not if it adds a syllable.
Old 10-08-21, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 503 Likes on 334 Posts

That's what I've been saying.

I'm starting to agree with you. After six weeks, I'm waiting for Matt to lose.
Old 10-08-21, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
That was weird. You are allowed a misspelling (there was actually one earlier this week that was allowed), but apparently not if it adds a syllable.
They wouldn't have accepted "biathalon" instead of "biathlon" if it was a spoken answer. They're really picky about shit like that.

They claim that they don't penalize you for spelling in final Jeopardy, but Barry Gordy says otherwise...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.