Reload this Page >

Hallmark Channel's Countdown to Christmas

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hallmark Channel's Countdown to Christmas

Old 12-18-20, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 540 Likes on 443 Posts
Re: Hallmark Channel's Countdown to Christmas

Jingle Bell Bride was pretty good. I don’t recall seeing an interracial romance between the leads before, though they seem to have several in this year’s movies. They also leaned hard into Gonzalo’s character’s Hispanic background. Diversity on Hallmark Channel!

Good Morning Christmas! was fun. I like Mark Blucas. The ending felt
Spoiler:
a little intrusive, though.

A Nashville Christmas was pretty good. Not a huge country fan, but I liked the music they used. I’m unfamiliar with RaeLynn but remember Sara Evans from way back in the day.
Old 12-21-20, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 165 Likes on 142 Posts

I recently rewatched an oldie but a goodie (from 2017) that I think first aired on the ion network called The Spruces and the Pines. Jonna Walsh was adorable in this film. I am also shocked (as I had forgotten that) it aired first on the ion network as their Holiday films from the past couple of years have been meh at best but this film would be considered on of the better ones if it was part of Hallmark's line up. I think this film has received some love from DVD Talkers in the past. It was worth the time to watch it again.

Another film I watched that aired on the Lifetime network that was also pretty darn good is The Christmas Break with Cindy Sampson. Nice and enjoyable film. Also, I have an insta-crush on Samora Smallwood who played Cindy Sampson's friend in the film. She is gorgeous.

Excited that at least with Lifetime, we are still getting some original films heading into Christmas. There is a Lifetime original airing tonight, and I think at least 2 more films airing later this week (another on Tuesday/Wed?, and I think another on the 24th or Christmas Day).

From the promos, it appears that Hallmark is a lean mean machine when it comes to cranking out the seasonal original films and their Movies & Mysteries films because it looks like both channels will have a fair amount of original content to air in 2021, which answers my questions of how much original content had been already filmed and was waiting in the wings to air, the answer is apparently a lot(!) of originals that Hallmark will dole out in the New Year. Yay to that news!
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (12-21-20)
Old 12-21-20, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 490 Likes on 422 Posts

The Spruces and the Pines is one of my holiday favorites. While Ion doesn't make as many Christmas movies as Hallmark, their batting average in recent years is generally better. Many familiar Hallmark actors appear in them.
Old 12-22-20, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 293 Posts

I think Hallmark has finished its run for 2020 and no more new Xmas movies.
Old 12-22-20, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Enjoyed the final new Hallmark entry of the season Cross Country Christmas starring Rachael Leigh Cook and Greyston Holt. Another one that did well in the ratings on Sunday.
I thought after hopping from one kooky mode of transportation to another that the lead characters would wind up taking a victory sleigh ride to their final destination. But I think they already did that with another movie on their sister channel (family room Tivo stuck on Hallmark chs, so most of these movies are starting to blend together )

Also caught:
The Christmas Temp on Lifetime (2019) - struggling artist is hired to put up a Christmas installation for a hotel manager and impress a pretentious art critic

On the Twelfth Day of Christmas (2015?) - newspaper columnist attempts to rekindle an old radio DJ crush's Christmas spirit via 12 Secret Santa gifts
Both titles starring Robin Dunne, the latter he co-wrote. Held my attention from beginning to sweet last gift ending, definitely a top 3 Hallmark xmas movie in my book. Love Mr. Dunne - just getting into Sanctuary (Amanda Tapping ) with the release of the complete series Australian Bluray set.
Old 12-23-20, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Despite the forced title, I liked Holly & Ivy. This is the second movie this season with an Asian lead, and she was charming. I like Jeremy Jordan’s stage and TV work, and while he didn’t have a ton to do, he was very likeable. It pushed the emotional buttons hard as they do in some of the drama movies, but it worked for me.

The Christmas House was about as generic as could be, from the no-name leads to the as-boring-as-possible title. It was fine, but completely forgettable.
Old 12-24-20, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This year's Unlocking Christmas was a delight with Taylor Cole, one of the more enjoyable new Hallmark productions. Loved the fun-loving chemistry between her and the male lead, who I've seen before on various non-Christmas projects. She married this year.
Old 12-25-20, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Caught Return To Christmas Creek on one of the Hallmarks. The listing indicated it was from 2018. Double-barrel romances with a side of family estrangement thrown in for good measure. Enjoyably light and its star Tori Anderson is perfect for these Christmas roles. Interesting mostly because the plot deviates from the usual Hallmark formulas.
Old 12-26-20, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just didn't feel much for A Taste of Christmas, which aired on Lifetime. A busy career woman falls for an Italian chef. The little romance between two teenagers as a b-story was more likable. Mostly boring and felt like a limp romance script repurposed for the holiday.
Old 12-29-20, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A Glenbrooke Christmas is surprisingly dull and formulaic. This is the first dud I can remember from Autumn Reeser.
Old 12-29-20, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,968 Likes on 1,440 Posts

I had about 4 unwatched Hallmark and Lifetime Christmas movies recorded that I just had not gotten around to. With Christmas now over, I really don’t have the motivation to watch them now, so I just deleted them. I think I got enough in this shitty holiday season. Until next year when things are hopefully better.
Old 12-30-20, 01:03 AM

Received 372 Likes on 269 Posts

Two new movies I really liked this year were Christmas with the Darlings and Love, Lights, Hanukkah!

https://www.hallmarkchannel.com/chri...h-the-darlings

https://www.hallmarkchannel.com/love-lights-hanukkah
Old 12-30-20, 10:33 AM

TheBigDave, good call. Christmas with the Darlings is one of the top Hallmark Holiday films that aired this year, but it helps that it had a great cast...big fan of Katrina Law Hallmark films. I had to Google to double check, but yes...the Hanukkah film starred Mia Kirshner and was also a pleasant surprise. I agree that A Glenbrooke Christmas was just meh despite being a fan of Autumn Reeser. There were some meh holiday films but for the most part I was very happy to chalk up another year where I pretty much watched all of them. Bring on the 2021 films!

Phantom brought up a movie where the kids in the film were the standouts in the film and this is something I have noticed this year, there have been several films where I literally said to myself when the films were done, wow...they are doing a much better job casting kids/teens for these films, as the story line involving the kids worked in these films. It just feels like a higher caliber of kids showed up in these films so kudos to the casting folks. Between the acting and dialogue the kids/teens were handed in these films it feels a notch above what I have encountered in past Holiday films.

ETA: Skatefan already brought up Cross Country Christmas which was another top tier Hallmark film, great cast and I actually also watched that one twice. Speaking of kids, when Rachael Leigh Cook's character asks the father with kids that catches them stowed away on the train if he has a phone she can use, I love it when the father lights up and looks at his daughter (who is clearly a modern child and is all about the mobile device) to say they got this. The kids in that scene were awesome little scene stealers (especially during the nativity scene).

Last edited by Inhumans99; 12-30-20 at 10:44 AM.
Old 12-30-20, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Iím still enjoying the films but get Djariyaís point about being out of the holiday mood. Iíll see how long I keep watching, but Iíve left my favorite stars for last so I have incentive to continue.

Deliver by Christmas is yet another take on the Youíve Got Mail plot device, and another interracial romance, but the leads were good, and it was fine.

One Royal Holiday was one of my favorites this year, but Iím a Laura Osnes fan. They didnít even contrive ways for her to sing other than a couple moments. Iím not as familiar with Aaron Tveit, as I donít see many Broadway shows, though Iíve probably heard him on cast recordings.

Christmas with the Darlings I didnít expect much from, but liked it. I didnít realize Katrina Law was part Asian until they named her character ďJessica Lew,Ē so I guess Hallmark HAS had interracial romances in the past. Not as clear-cut as itís been this year, though.

Cranberry Christmas had a different take in that it involved a couple growing apart. Not that they havenít done that before, but itís rare, and it worked pretty well. Still a happy ending, of course.

Iíve said before that I wonít go out of my way for a Jill Wagner movie, and The Angel Tree was a decent, run-of-the-mill effort.
Old 12-30-20, 11:24 AM

The Angel Tree was surprisingly bland...just the type of film that you quickly forget about considering how many Holiday films are thrown at you to watch.
Old 12-30-20, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Inhumans99 View Post
The Angel Tree was surprisingly bland...just the type of film that you quickly forget about considering how many Holiday films are thrown at you to watch.
Thatís pretty much my reaction to every Jill Wagner movie. Nothing wrong with them, but just kinda there. From the title I was expecting something generic, then seeing she was in it pretty much sealed the deal.
Old 12-30-20, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Finally finished Christmas In Vienna, which I had hoped would be awesome. The setting is very cool, they definitely filmed parts of it in Austria. Christmas always looks so beautiful in Vienna. And it was about music, a concert violinist that had lost her passion for performing, which is usually right up my alley. I just wasn't feeling the tepid screenplay. The leads didn't share enough screen time together, hurting the romance. Probably worth catching for the spectacular backdrop but it took like three separate occasions to make it all the way through.

I'll eventually get through about ten more Hallmark holiday movies saved on the DVR.
Old 12-31-20, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A Little Christmas Charm is easily my favorite Hallmark movie of this Christmas season. A nearly perfect romance about a man and woman finding the lost owner of a small Christmas charm. Ashley Greene is the star. This is one I'll probably buy down the road.

A Christmas Carousel is the fairly standard tale of an American that falls in love with a European prince. She restores carousels with her dad, the prince hasn't settled down yet because he fears assuming the crown. Nice Euro setting (though I'm pretty sure it was filmed here), the first act just didn't do much for me. The movie does get better but I doubt I'd ever want to rewatch it.
Old 01-01-21, 01:10 PM
mk1

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I stopped watching the movies mid month as other stuff came up. Hoping to catch a few more before they disappear from my Philo DVR. On a side note, Fandango Now has a couple of Winter Movies on sale for $4.99 that include Winter Castle, Royal Matchmaker, Winter in Vail, One Winter Weekend and Love in Winterland.

Love reading the above perspectives above on the various movies.
Old 01-02-21, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Christmas She Wrote was solid, a fine offering starring Danica McKellar. Solid premise despite the presence of a clumsily-added ex that could have been dropped.
Old 01-03-21, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Picture a Perfect Christmas is great. Merritt Patterson blew me away, easily the best Hallmark movie I've caught starring her. There's not a single thing I can criticize about Picture a Perfect Christmas. The movie even juggled multiple Hallmark tropes with class and elegance. First came out in 2019. This is another one that is a keeper.
Old 01-03-21, 06:47 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 260 Likes on 166 Posts

I liked Five Star Christmas a lot. Especially the female lead and the girl playing her sister.
Old 01-03-21, 06:47 PM

Received 372 Likes on 269 Posts

I'm looking forward to next week's movie A New Year's Resolution. I like Aimee Teegarden in just about everything she's done. She was great in that Christmas Miracle movie. Hopefully she'll become a Hallmark regular.

https://www.hallmarkchannel.com/a-new-years-resolution
Old 01-09-21, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Some Hallmark titles in Vuduís monthly bundle sale. Most have been on sale before, but thereís also a Valentineís four-pack for US$17.99.

Valentine Ever After with Autumn Reeser
Anything for Love with Erika Christensen
Appetite for Love with a blonde Taylor Cole
All Things Valentine with Sarah Rafferty

Iíve seen about half the Valentine movies but none of these.
The following users liked this post:
mk1 (01-10-21)
Old 01-10-21, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Cranberry Christmas - Good stuff, this new Hallmark movie was more grounded than some of their other romances. It also took the unusual tact of featuring a long-time married couple on the verge of divorce, which I don't remember seeing before. Nikki DeLoach was the star, she even changed up her usual hair style. Well-written and warm chemistry between the whole cast. Highly recommended and one of this season's better entries.

Project Christmas Wish - They can't all be winners, lol. Starring Amanda Schull (you'd probably know her from 12 Monkeys: The television series), this limp production did almost nothing for me. Schull does her very best trying to save the messy and inept screenplay, but the male lead is written as a bad caricature. Probably not worth catching but I think Schull got a couple relatives in the cast - the woman playing her mother is a dead ringer for Schull.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.