TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hallmark Channel's Countdown to Christmas

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-21, 04:29 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts
Re: Hallmark Channel's Countdown to Christmas

I have a mancrush on Tyler Hynes. He makes many of these movies tolerable. Never seems like he over-acts, and comes across a "a real guy". Big fan.
Old 02-19-21, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Inhumans99
You are right that it would be neat if more of the city a movie is supposed to take place in was incorporated into the film but I suspect this is strictly a cost cutting measure. Imagine the logistics of trying to squeeze in a scene in at the Space Needle while it is open to the public, or the cost of filming at this location even during off hours. It would be hard to even "steal" a shot if they decided to film the stars amongst the regular crowd at locations like the Space Needle. I just think it would involve extra work in the editing bay and could get messy trying to make it work. Certain locations like Banff (at first I typed Bamf, the sound Nightcrawler makes when he teleports, lol) probably are much easier find a spot that is wide open for some quick filming and not worry about external beyond the film runner's control distractions intruding on the filming of the scene.

I will even say that while sometimes Hallmark will film in a European country or in Africa, they pick places that are still probably cheaper to film at than they would be in the States. In Africa sure you paid a lot to get Lacey Chabert to the safari location, but once there I bet costs to film were no longer prohibitive. You pick a spot with animals, film Lacey interacting with the animals and have some handlers around to make sure she does not become a lion's tasty treat and you are good to go. I bet filming at the Space Needle is surprisingly expensive compared to filming on-site in Africa.

ETA: I could be wrong and I bet some googling would reveal the typical costs to film on-site at certain popular attractions/locations.
Yeah, I wouldn’t expect anything flashy especially during these times. I was just looking for a rain joke or something. Then again, I think they did make a Mariners reference, so I withdraw my complaint.

Watched a couple older ones. Love at First Dance had former Glee villain Becca Tobin, who seemed pretty stiff, and the guy’s storyline became the more interesting one. But I’m always fond of the dance-themed films. (I also like the food films, and I forgot to mention that Playing Cupid slipped a little of that in.)

The Irresistible Blueberry Farm had one of my faves, Marc Blucas, but I realized his roles tend to alternate between heroic serviceman and smarmy cad. This was more of the second one. It had a surprise small role for Shirley Jones of Partridge Family and movie-musical fame, and it was one of those “go8mg on a quest” light dramas. Fine but not one I’m likely to rewatch.
Old 02-21-21, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Mix Up in the Mediterranean was pretty good. I think I mentioned during the holidays that I’m a fan of Jeremy Jordan, not so much of Jessica Lowndes, who I first saw as a villain in one of these movies, and I think she works better in that role. She was ok here, though. Pretty standard switching-twin plot crossed with a food competition. Added bonus that my wife sat through her first Hallmark film because of Jordan!
Old 02-22-21, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Romance In The Air with Cindy Busby was enjoyable. Kind of weird resolution with her former boyfriend but she's a perfect fit for the girl-next-door romance angle. The Lake Tahoe setting didn't hurt.
Old 02-22-21, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, the Lake Tahoe scenery is great in that one.

I just watched You’re Bacon Me Crazy (2020), which I might’ve skipped last year because of the title. But I liked the food-truck setting, and the chemistry was good.

I really liked A Country Wedding. It has the standard plot of “big star returns to home town and finds old flame,” and I like Autumn Reeser better than Jesse Metcalf, but the story had an unexpected sweet element that made it stand out. This one often goes on sale so I might pick it up next time.
Old 02-26-21, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Caught up on a few recently, some recent broadcasts from other seasons and some I still had from last fall.

Falling for Vermont was the standard amnesia plot with Julie Gonzalo, but I thought it was good. A Taste of Summer had Eric Winter from the current cop show The Rookie as a restauranteur playing opposite his real-life wife.

I also saw a couple HOF movies, The Beach House with Andie McDowell and Minka Kelly and Remember Sunday with Zachary Levi and Alexis Bledell. I can see why people talk about the higher production values of the HOF movies, and both were very good (the latter pretty frustrating, though, by design).

After those, I needed lighter fare and watched a couple leftover fall movies. Falling for Look Lodge was meh, with two first-time leads. Sometimes when they cast these dudes as soulless corporate sticks-in-the-mud, they do too good of a job. Love on a Limb was a comedy with Ashley Williams trying to save a town’s old tree and felt different and fun.
Old 03-14-21, 01:46 PM

Received 514 Likes on 370 Posts

Vudu's adding some new bundles next week. These should be $19.99 each.

Hallmark Countdown To Christmas 10-Movie Collection (Bundle)
This bundle includes: Crown For Christmas, A Christmas Detour, Christmas Under Wraps, A Very Merry Mix-up, Snow Bride, Debbie Macomber's Trading Christmas, Christmas Cookies, Christmas Ornament, Best Christmas Party Ever, Tis the Season for Love
https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/...undle-/1694486

Hallmark Countdown To Christmas 10-Movie Collection 2 (Bundle)
This bundle includes: Broadcasting Christmas, Northpole, The Santa Suit, Christmas Note, Charming Christmas, Christmas at Cartwright's, I'll Be Home For Christmas, Mistletoe Over Manhattan, Angel of Christmas, Angels and Ornaments
https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/...undle-/1694489

Hallmark 10-Movie Romance Collection (Bundle)
This bundle includes: So You Said Yes, Duke, Banner 4th of July, For Love & Honor, Karen Kingsbury's A Time to Dance, Lead with Your Heart, Love, Again, Lucky in Love, My Boyfriends' Dogs, Summer of Dreams
https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/...undle-/1694483

The following 3 users liked this post by TheBigDave:
Cellar Door (03-16-21), davidh777 (03-14-21), PhantomStranger (03-15-21)
Old 03-15-21, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Those are obviously great prices. And of course a lot of them have been put on sale or combined into bundles for years. I own only one selection in each of the romance and second Xmas collections, so I’ll see if the other films appeal to me. There’s probably a reason I haven’t pulled the trigger on them yet.

I’ve been catching up on a bunch of the mysteries lately. It’s a running gag in all of them that the civilian is interfering in the investigations. In Mystery 101, Jill Wagner tries to explain she’s a consultant. “So, like Sherlock?” a real officer asks. She then mockingly calls Wagner Sherlock then calls Kristoffer Polaha (also a real officer) as “Dr, Watson.” An easy and dumb joke, but I laughed.

Murder She Baked is probably the lightest of the batch, and for me the least appealing, but I have only one to go so I’ll probably watch it when it airs next month just to see if she chooses between the two identical guys.

Martha’s Vineyard I’d say is the most serious, with Jesse Metcalf still haunted by the death of his former partner. Coincidentally I just saw Metcalf in the lead of a B-grade action movie that had Bruce Willis in a minor role to drum up viewer interest.

The last chunk I’m clearing from the DVR is Ruby Herring, and I’m glad Taylor Cole’s counterpart acknowledged in the first episode what a silly name she had.
Old 03-16-21, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Vudu's adding some new bundles next week. These should be $19.99 each.

Hallmark Countdown To Christmas 10-Movie Collection (Bundle)
This bundle includes: Crown For Christmas, A Christmas Detour, Christmas Under Wraps, A Very Merry Mix-up, Snow Bride, Debbie Macomber's Trading Christmas, Christmas Cookies, Christmas Ornament, Best Christmas Party Ever, Tis the Season for Love

Hallmark Countdown To Christmas 10-Movie Collection 2 (Bundle)
This bundle includes: Broadcasting Christmas, Northpole, The Santa Suit, Christmas Note, Charming Christmas, Christmas at Cartwright's, I'll Be Home For Christmas, Mistletoe Over Manhattan, Angel of Christmas, Angels and Ornaments

Hallmark 10-Movie Romance Collection (Bundle)
This bundle includes: So You Said Yes, Duke, Banner 4th of July, For Love & Honor, Karen Kingsbury's A Time to Dance, Lead with Your Heart, Love, Again, Lucky in Love, My Boyfriends' Dogs, Summer of Dreams
So I signed up for a Vudu account just to buy the Xmas bundle because Vudu and MoviesAnywhere talk to each other. I figured this way it would also link to my Amazon account (also in MoviesAnywhere) and I could watch them on my Fire TV. No dice though.....all the MoviesAnywhere stuff shows in Vudu but my Vudu purchase does not show in MoviesAnywhere.
Guess I will have to download another app.
Old 03-16-21, 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by mewmartigan
So I signed up for a Vudu account just to buy the Xmas bundle because Vudu and MoviesAnywhere talk to each other. I figured this way it would also link to my Amazon account (also in MoviesAnywhere) and I could watch them on my Fire TV. No dice though.....all the MoviesAnywhere stuff shows in Vudu but my Vudu purchase does not show in MoviesAnywhere.
Hallmark movies are not available on Movies Anywhere.

When you shop at Vudu, look for the Movies Anywhere logo at the bottom (under More Info). If it's not there, then it's not eligible.

The following users liked this post:
mewmartigan (03-17-21)
Old 03-17-21, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

ah, thanks for the tip.
Old 03-17-21, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, unfortunately it’s only the big studios (and not all of them) that are on MA. I bought a few 99-cent Lifetime films on Amazon that I ended up buying for the same price on Vudu because I rarely use Amazon. Hope Vudu works well for you.

After the first Ruby Herring mystery, Taylor Cole lost the weird hair coloring that provided some winking references to her name.

Currently watching Fixer Upper Mysteries, in which Jewel uses her home-renovation skills to spot clues. Unusually neither lead is an official police person (Colin Ferguson is a crime writer).
mewmartigan (03-24-21)
Old 03-23-21, 02:43 PM

There's a new Hallmark sale on Spring Romance movies at Vudu.

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/...ling-Sale/9893

I'm not too familiar with the non-Christmas movies. Although I'm interested in You're Bacon Me Crazy just based on the name. Any of these worth owning?
mk1 (03-27-21)
Old 03-24-21, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts

You're Bacon Me Crazy sounds fun after reading the plot synopsis. I haven't really watched any of the Spring Fling movies so maybe that would be a good one to start with.
Old 03-24-21, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I watched Bacon during the Valentine’s window and liked the leads and the food-truck setting. That might be the only one I buy this round. I’ve also seen Paris/Wine and Romance/Chocolate and liked both. I bought Wine in the Paris/Rome two-pack but haven’t watched the other, nor have I watched the Darcy two-pack I bought. I can probably go either way on whether I need to buy Romance/Chocolate.
Old 03-29-21, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I liked the new Mystery 101 installment. Apparently this is one of their more successful series being on #6. Jill Wagner isn’t my favorite, but I really like Polaha, and they work well together. Erin Cahill plays a new character, and she’s enough of a Hallmark regular that I wouldn’t be surprised if this were a backdoor pilot. I’d watch that.

I’ve fallen into the trap of logging my watches in the Hallmark app, but my mystery coverage is weak. Too many Aurora Teagarden and Hailey Dean movies.
Old 03-29-21, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I like the Mystery 101 series but agree that this latest installment was surprisingly fun to watch. Polaha and Wagner make for a great pairing and yes, Erin Cahill slipped right into the cast with ease and any warmth towards Cahill's character did not feel forced or like it was just playing to the cameras.
Spoiler:
I also liked the fake-out in that the serial killer turned out not to be the main threat and instead it was a creepy dude who cyber-stalked Wagner's character, and upon learning that her actions would affect the plans he had with his new found relationship/love he decided to eliminate Wagner. That made for a more intense ending for this particular 101 installment.

I actually enjoyed this 101 installment a bit more than the latest Aurora Teagarden, which was fun to watch but the 101 movie was a better watch.

Old 05-14-21, 05:48 AM

Candace Cameron Bure's mystery movies are on sale at Vudu.

Aurora Teagarden: 6-Movie Collection (Bundle) - $33.99

https://www.vudu.com/content/movies/...undle-/1725760
Old 05-20-21, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Bubbly Sesh podcast announced that Hallmark was pulling their plug. It’s long and a little too too, but I’d listen to the recaps of my favorite movies. They didn’t give a reason why.

I’m doing a poor job of keeping up with the new movies. I did watch a Cindy Busby double gesture—Love Down Under and Chasing Waterfalls—in which she plays a big-city girl who falls for the charms of the simpler life.
Old 05-25-21, 03:43 AM

Hallmark 10-Movie Romance Collection (Bundle) - $14.99

So You Said Yes
Duke
Banner 4th of July *
For Love & Honor *
Karen Kingsbury's A Time to Dance
Lead with Your Heart
Love, Again
Lucky in Love *
My Boyfriends' Dogs
Summer of Dreams

* = Only available in the bundle.
Old 05-29-21, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I passed on the 10-pack when it first came out because it was mostly older films, but fir five bucks less, I’m considering it again. I only own one, and the Karen Kingsbury one is currently on my DVR.
Old 06-02-21, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

I should read the Deadline article in its entirety, but it sounds like Hallmark is giving us Christmas in July with some original Christmas films throughout the month. Can't wait! It's Christmastime....in July, hah....I love that old JC Penney's jingle.
Old 06-04-21, 01:17 PM

Hallmark Countdown To Christmas 10-Movie Collection (Bundle) - $16.99

Crown For Christmas
A Christmas Detour
Christmas Under Wraps
A Very Merry Mix-up
Snow Bride
Debbie Macomber's Trading Christmas
Christmas Cookies
Christmas Ornament
Best Christmas Party Ever
Tis the Season for Love
PhantomStranger (06-04-21)
Old 06-04-21, 01:23 PM

This one's on sale too.

Hallmark Countdown To Christmas 10-Movie Collection 2 (Bundle) - $16.99

Broadcasting Christmas
Northpole
The Santa Suit
Christmas Note
Charming Christmas
Christmas at Cartwright's
I'll Be Home For Christmas
Mistletoe Over Manhattan
Angel of Christmas
Angels and Ornaments
Old 06-04-21, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I saw Marc Blucas in a non-Hallmark movie the other day, and it was so weird to see him out of context that I recognized him but couldn’t think of his name. If it had been a Hallmark movie about honoring service members, I would’ve known who he was immediately.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.