TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Hallmark Channel's Countdown to Christmas

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-18, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts
Re: Hallmark Channel's Countdown to Christmas

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Hallmark keeps expanding their slate of originals each Christmas season. They've made something like 40+ in the past two years. That general story arc has been used quite often since they expanded.
I wasn't trying to put them down or make fun of them. They seem to have a formula that works, so I can't really blame them for using it.
Old 12-28-18, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I wish Hallmark did bluray releases. They could put multiple movies on one disc that way.
I could see them doing two movies per disc, but doubt they would devalue their product by doing more than that.
Old 12-28-18, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

What I'm surprised is they haven't bundled themed sets of certain leading stars. They could easily release a Lacey Chabert set with several of her movies together.
Old 12-28-18, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,004 Likes on 624 Posts

Yeah, I'd be all over an Alicia Witt collection.
Old 12-29-18, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The idea of star-focused collections is so obvious that I have to think they don't want to do it for whatever reason. Maybe they want people to buy a varied collection and get attached to a different star.

Witt isn't my favorite, but I like her fine, and I've seen most of hers. A year or so ago, she appeared on a fan podcast that was doing an episode about Hallmark movies, which I thought was cool.

In general, I'll always watch the Lacey Chabert movies, and I've started watching all of Emilie Ullerup's as well. I was disappointed they didn't have new ones this year by Amy Acker, Lindy Booth, or Rachel Boston. I loved Marguerite Moreau in Love Always Santa, but I guess she was a one-and-done. On the dude front, Kristoffer Polaha is really the only one who sticks out for me, though Marc Blucas is fine too.
Old 12-29-18, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 416 Likes on 301 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I could see them doing two movies per disc, but doubt they would devalue their product by doing more than that.
I have a Murder, She Baked Dvd that has three movies on it so it could be done with a bluray
Old 12-29-18, 04:01 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

I was disappointed they didn't have new ones this year by Amy Acker, Lindy Booth, or Rachel Boston.
Rachel Boston was in a Lifetime movie this year, A Christmas In Tennessee.

https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/a-...s-in-tennessee

Lindy Booth is in a Hallmark Channel "Winterfest" movie called Snowcoming on January 26th.

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/snowcoming
Old 12-29-18, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The idea of star-focused collections is so obvious that I have to think they don't want to do it for whatever reason. Maybe they want people to buy a varied collection and get attached to a different star.

Witt isn't my favorite, but I like her fine, and I've seen most of hers. A year or so ago, she appeared on a fan podcast that was doing an episode about Hallmark movies, which I thought was cool.

In general, I'll always watch the Lacey Chabert movies, and I've started watching all of Emilie Ullerup's as well. I was disappointed they didn't have new ones this year by Amy Acker, Lindy Booth, or Rachel Boston. I loved Marguerite Moreau in Love Always Santa, but I guess she was a one-and-done. On the dude front, Kristoffer Polaha is really the only one who sticks out for me, though Marc Blucas is fine too.
Amy Acker is making too much money doing her network show for a Hallmark movie these days. She's become an in-demand actress. The same appears to have happened to Taylor Cole, who used to churn out 2-3 Hallmark movies every year like clockwork. Taylor is probably my favorite actress in these Hallmark movies.

It's funny, because one of the new Hallmark movies this year used one of Amy's best Hallmark movies, Dear Santa, as a critical plot point. You had Hallmark characters watching another Hallmark movie.
Old 12-31-18, 02:55 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

The Hebrew Hammer is in TubiTV's collection of holiday movies.
Old 12-31-18, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Rachel Boston was in a Lifetime movie this year, A Christmas In Tennessee.

https://www.mylifetime.com/movies/a-...s-in-tennessee

Lindy Booth is in a Hallmark Channel "Winterfest" movie called Snowcoming on January 26th.

http://www.hallmarkchannel.com/snowcoming
I haven't watched any of the new Lifetime movies, but I've definitely noticed the ads for the January movies. I'm tempted but trying to resist going down the rabbit hole any further than I already am (saw a couple Valentine's movies earlier this year). If I start watching the mystery series, I'll know I'm really lost.
Old 12-31-18, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

I didn't watch a lot of Christmas movies this year, but the last one I watched was "A Shoe Addicts Christmas" which starred Candace Cameron Bure.

It was cute. Basically a different take on the whole A Christmas Carol storyline. Single woman who works in a department gets visited by some "ghost" who takes her on various paths in her life that she could have taken after she gets accidentally locked in the store late at night. Then she meets some handsome firefighter and sparks fly.

I have 3 left on my DVR and I doubt I will have time to watch all of them. I may watch 1 more and call it a season.

Last edited by DJariya; 01-01-19 at 01:31 PM.
Old 01-01-19, 01:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger

Christmas Made To Order, which just premiered last night, is an excellent Christmas movie. Stars Alexa PenaVega, an old Hallmark veteran. I liked the scenario about a busy office executive that hires a woman to help entertain his family for Christmas. They also didn't bring in Alexa's real-life husband this time, who is starring in some other Hallmark movie.

Christmas Made to Order was a good one, although those Christmas decorations used throughout the movie were surprisingly ugly. Carlos PenaVega's Hallmark Christmas film, Midnight Kiss, was also very enjoyable. The two leads had some nice chemistry together.
Old 01-02-19, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm still trying to clean out the backlog of Christmas movies on the DVR. Despite Lacey Chabert, Pride, Prejudice & Mistletoe was only so-so. Token references to Pride & Prejudice and a barely-there Christmas sub-plot weren't an inspired combination.
Old 01-29-19, 12:21 PM
mk1

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

A couple of Hallmark movies are on sale on Vudu for a Valentine's Day sale. Will post the titles once I have a chance to go back and view the list. Prices seem to be $6.99 for each title.

Updated with List:
All of My Heart
All of My Heart: Inn Love
The Lost Valentine
Love at First Bark
Love at First Glance
Valentine Ever After
Love Locks
Anything For Love
My Secret Valentine
Very, Very Valentine

Last edited by mk1; 01-29-19 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-29-19, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Winter Love Story with Jen Lilley has been my favorite new movie so far—really good chemistry and dialogue. One of the plot points is that she has stage fright, and an older movie they just showed had her as a character who kept getting cold feet at the altar. Winter Castle with Emilie Ullerup was also good. I wasn’t crazy about Taylor Cole’s A Winter Proposal—the secondary couple seemed more interesting than the leads—but I guess it’s a sequel to a movie I never saw. Also watched an older one with Rachel Boston called Stop the Wedding, but it was just OK. The male lead seemed kinda smarmy,
Old 01-29-19, 07:00 PM
mk1

Winter Love Story with Jen Lilley has been my favorite new movie so far—really good chemistry and dialogue. One of the plot points is that she has stage fright, and an older movie they just showed had her as a character who kept getting cold feet at the altar. Winter Castle with Emilie Ullerup was also good. I wasn’t crazy about Taylor Cole’s A Winter Proposal—the secondary couple seemed more interesting than the leads—but I guess it’s a sequel to a movie I never saw. Also watched an older one with Rachel Boston called Stop the Wedding, but it was just OK. The male lead seemed kinda smarmy,

I liked Winter Love Story the best and I didn't finish watching Snowcoming! It did not hold my interest and I like Lindy Booth.
Old 01-29-19, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I've only watched the first half of Winter Love Story but I already like it.
Old 01-29-19, 09:22 PM
mk1

On another note, I finally got a chance to watch a $1 Lifetime movie with Andrew Walker and Bethany Joy Lenz that I bought in early Dec called Snowed Inn Christmas. I really enjoyed it...and the price was excellent. I know a few others had said it was a good one.
Old 02-14-19, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mk1
I liked Winter Love Story the best and I didn't finish watching Snowcoming! It did not hold my interest and I like Lindy Booth.
i watched Snowcoming, and it was fine. If not for Booth, I might’ve skipped it.

The Story of Us with Maggie Lawson was OK. Mostly I’ve been watching Jen Lilley reruns. A Dash of Love had Peri Gilpin of Frasier fame as an out-and-out villain, which seemed unusual. The adversaries generally only have diverging goals or simply aren’t the right person for a match.
Old 03-14-19, 11:02 PM

Received 511 Likes on 368 Posts

Hallmark Channel drops Lori Loughlin amid college admissions bribe scandal

I guess we won't see her next Christmas. That's too bad. I hope they don't blackhole her previous movies. I really liked Northpole: Open For Christmas.

Her daughter Isabella was in Every Christmas Has A Story and Homegrown Christmas.

Old 03-15-19, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
Hallmark Channel drops Lori Loughlin amid college admissions bribe scandal

I guess we won't see her next Christmas. That's too bad. I hope they don't blackhole her previous movies. I really liked Northpole: Open For Christmas.

Her daughter Isabella was in Every Christmas Has A Story and Homegrown Christmas.

I think you can bank on that, I doubt you will see her for at least a few years...
Old 03-15-19, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Yeah, they’ll black out Loughlin movies for now and hope it blows over. And they just removed Garage Sale Mysteries from their app schedule. Oddly, Loughlin was one whose movies I never really made it a priority to watch.

They listed the spring movie slate, but it looks like second-tier talent that I don’t recognize.
Old 04-10-19, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 809 Likes on 598 Posts

I didn't see this posted, but 40 new Hallmark Christmas movies are coming this year. First one airs in July. https://ew.com/tv/2019/04/04/hallmar...s-movies-2019/
Old 04-11-19, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, they’ll black out Loughlin movies for now and hope it blows over. And they just removed Garage Sale Mysteries from their app schedule. Oddly, Loughlin was one whose movies I never really made it a priority to watch.

They listed the spring movie slate, but it looks like second-tier talent that I don’t recognize.
As a frequent Hallmark viewer, Lori Loughlin's movie projects on the channel were never that great and were never much of a priority for me. However, she was an asset on When Calls The Heart.

Old 06-04-19, 08:42 AM
mk1

Hallmark sale on Vudu starts today. Sale titles about 14 are $5.99. Will list when I get home and have access to my laptop.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.