Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The One and Only TV FAQ Thread Plus Renewal and Cancellation News

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-16, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts
Re: The One and Only TV FAQ Thread Plus Cancellations and Renewal News

Pretty much everyone expects POI to end this season. It would be a miracle if CBS renews it. Most thought it was charity by CBS giving us a fifth season in the first place.
Old 01-10-16, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
http://deadline.com/2016/01/saving-h...on-1201676826/

Saving Hope, which stars Erica Durance and airs in Canada and on the ION network here in the States, was renewed for a 5th season for 18 episodes.

I'm sure most here have no clue this was even still airing. I think it's currently on season 2 on the ION Network right now.
Had no clue, although I never finished season 1.
Old 01-10-16, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Without spoilers, why is POI so likely to get cancelled? We've started watching through Netflix - currently near end of season 2 - and it's exceptional. It's almost like what Gotham should have been - complex tapestry of characters, multiple villains (including a fleshed out mob structure) and engaging cases.
Old 01-10-16, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

http://tvline.com/2016/01/10/superna...enewed-the-cw/

Supernatural will never end. CW President fully expects a 12th season as long as Jared and Jensen want to keep doing it.
Old 01-10-16, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Superman07
Without spoilers, why is POI so likely to get cancelled? We've started watching through Netflix - currently near end of season 2 - and it's exceptional. It's almost like what Gotham should have been - complex tapestry of characters, multiple villains (including a fleshed out mob structure) and engaging cases.
Because CBS doesn't own it and they don't have a long-term vested financial interest in keeping it.
Old 01-10-16, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The show has changed a great deal since its first season. Ratings have declined as the show morphed from a criminal procedural to serialized sci-fi action. Renewing past season five would also require signing up the leads to new contracts, which is expensive.

It remains a solid show past season two but casual audiences drifted away for the most part.
Old 01-10-16, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The show has changed a great deal since its first season. Ratings have declined as the show morphed from a criminal procedural to serialized sci-fi action. Renewing past season five would also require signing up the leads to new contracts, which is expensive.

It remains a solid show past season two but casual audiences drifted away for the most part.
A lot of the "casual" fans complained on the shows Facebook page when the show became too serialized. Most CBS viewers prefer case of the week stories.
Old 01-10-16, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

http://tvline.com/2016/01/10/superna...enewed-the-cw/

Supernatural will never end. CW President fully expects a 12th season as long as Jared and Jensen want to keep doing it.
I would have never guessed that this show will be going towards a 12th season when it first premiered. I stopped watching after the 7th season so I don't know if this show is still good or not.
Old 01-10-16, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Whew! I was worried in a drop off in quality. I'm okay with them finishing if they can wrap up storylines in a good manner.
Old 01-10-16, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.spoilertv.com/2016/01/rec...-season-4.html

Rectify renewed for a 4th and final season on Sundance.
Old 01-10-16, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's owned by WB and they only sell DVD's and BD's during BF (joking [mostly]).

There is a plot point that you haven't reached yet, that many were fine with, but upset some fans.

And I'm sure it's true that some didn't want to follow the show as it became more serialized. In my case, pretty much every other show I watch is serialized (almost all extremely so), and I'd found this to be the one procedural that I could watch. I thought of it as a very nice palate cleanser. I've continued with the show since it changed, but there are times I miss what it did at the beginning.
Old 01-10-16, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

http://www.spoilertv.com/2016/01/rec...-season-4.html

Rectify renewed for a 4th and final season on Sundance.
Great show, but not one that should keep going too long. I wonder how much they will resolve and how much they will leave open?
Old 01-10-16, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I would have never guessed that this show will be going towards a 12th season when it first premiered. I stopped watching after the 7th season so I don't know if this show is still good or not.
Supernatural today? No, it's a shell of its former self. You haven't missed anything that essential if you stopped watching after season 7. It remains on the air because it gets the same ratings no matter where the CW places it on the schedule. It would have been canceled long ago on the bigger broadcast networks.
Old 01-12-16, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

CBS officially put Mike and Molly in the coffin today...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...112-story.html
Old 01-13-16, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Supernatural today? No, it's a shell of its former self. You haven't missed anything that essential if you stopped watching after season 7. It remains on the air because it gets the same ratings no matter where the CW places it on the schedule. It would have been canceled long ago on the bigger broadcast networks.
Thanks! Good to know.
Old 01-13-16, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk God

http://deadline.com/2016/01/heroes-c...on-1201682054/

Heroes: Reborn is done for good after the finale. There will not be another season.
Old 01-13-16, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk God

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/chic...-d-1201679085/

Chicago Law is in development at NBC. It would be the 3rd spinoff of Chicago Fire if it happens.
Old 01-13-16, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gosh darn it! I've been hoping for either Chicago Sanitation or Chicago Parking Enforcement.
Old 01-13-16, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

I think the move to Tuesday nights at 10:00 pm EST played a huge part in the ratings drop as well. Thursday nights at 9:00 pm was a great timeslot for the show. People watched TBBT at 8, then POI aired one hour later. Without that huge lead in, the show started to lose viewers as only the hardcore fans like myself followed the show when it moved to a new day and time.
Old 01-13-16, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
Gosh darn it! I've been hoping for either Chicago Sanitation or Chicago Parking Enforcement.
Hang in there. Keep the faith. I was joking just that way about Chicago Law a few weeks ago and here it is!
Old 01-13-16, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I think the move to Tuesday nights at 10:00 pm EST played a huge part in the ratings drop as well. Thursday nights at 9:00 pm was a great timeslot for the show. People watched TBBT at 8, then POI aired one hour later. Without that huge lead in, the show started to lose viewers as only the hardcore fans like myself followed the show when it moved to a new day and time.
I agree about the time slot change. I've seen good shows crippled by time changes before. CBS is also the genius network that ran Supergirl up against Gotham.

The problem is that the networks have eliminated Friday and Saturday nights for scripted content, leaving a much tighter schedule for everyone left.
Old 01-13-16, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

The problem is that the networks have eliminated Friday and Saturday nights for scripted content, leaving a much tighter schedule for everyone left.
IDK about that. 1/5th of the shows I'm watching this season air on Fridays.

Sleepy Hollow, The Vampire Diaries, The Originals, Bitten, and Grimm. They're all Friday night shows for the rest of the season.

As for Saturday, yeah about the only shows that come on Saturdays are from BBC and Starz usually. This season only Black Sails out of everything I'm watching however is a Saturday show.
Old 01-14-16, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk God

http://deadline.com/2016/01/playing-...sa-1201682985/

Playing House on USA was renewed for a third season
Old 01-15-16, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

I agree about the time slot change. I've seen good shows crippled by time changes before.
(More generally).

Wonder which came first:

- declining ratings --> change to crappier time slot

- or vice versa?

On the other side of the coin, has there been any tv shows with ascending ratings, which were moved to a crappier time slot while the ratings were still going up?
Old 01-15-16, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 196 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
I don't know whether it would have made much of a difference for the latter half of season 4 of POI.

Hypothetically if POI was not moved, it certainly would have had to compete directly with The Blacklist, which the latter was moved to the 9pm Thursday time slot on February 5, 2015.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.