Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Recent HBO shows that you absolutely hate or dislike a lot?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What recent HBO shows do you absolutely hate or dislike alot?
True Blood
14.55%
The Leftovers
27.27%
Girls
45.45%
The Newsroom
18.18%
Looking
5.45%
The Comeback
7.27%
Entourage
5.45%
Enlightened
7.27%
Hello Ladies
3.64%
Silicon Valley
7.27%
Veep
5.45%
Luck
3.64%
Hung
10.91%
Treme
5.45%
Other
3.64%
One of the "cool" shows like Game of Thrones or Boardwalk Empire
10.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Recent HBO shows that you absolutely hate or dislike a lot?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-14, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Recent HBO shows that you absolutely hate or dislike a lot?

Yeah, stop trying to create a formula of people that don't like "Girls", just like the ones that liked, it can be anyone.

I'm 39, non white, married with kids, etc. watched the first two episodes and thought it was crap.
Old 07-25-14, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I think Girls is ridiculously well written, well acted, and whip smart. And I never gave it an even chance at first; the pilot episode turned me off. But then I watched the first season with my wife just after Season 2 started and we thought it was something unique and vastly entertaining.
The following users liked this post:
covenant (03-11-22)
Old 07-25-14, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I'm 42, so yes, 43 is old. Maybe that's why I find Girls entertaining - I may be white, but I'm not old...
Well you can go to the dickens, sir!

At least black don't crack...
Old 07-25-14, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

Let's see...

True Blood - I really, really dislike Alan Ball and anything he does. American Beauty was a pile of pretentious shit. While Six Feet Under was much better... I dunno. I just feel like Ball has issues with his sexuality and wants us to either endure it with him or crowdsource his therapy or something. But even my friends who like this show say it's been going downhill (rapidly) for the past few seasons.

The Leftovers - I don't hate this show... I just couldn't care less about anything to do with it. After forcing myself to watch the first three episodes, if this show ceased to exist at this very moment I'd be fine with that.

Girls - I don't get this show at all... which is fine. I mean, I'm a 43 male and there's nothing on The CW that I want to watch, either. I just don't get all the media hoopla over a show that routinely gets beaten (badly) in the ratings by re-runs of The O'Reilly Factor.

The Newsroom - Like someone else said, there's nothing really "wrong" with this show... it's just not nearly as good as Sorkin thinks it is. And his schtick is wearing thin, too. He's a good writer, but needs someone to rein him in (like The Social Network, for instance).

Hello Ladies - I love British comedy, but just didn't get this at all.

Luck - Sometimes HBO just tries too hard.

Treme - Watched the first couple of episodes, and it did nothing for me. Then one of my close friends married a HORRIBLE woman from New Orleans. She's literally the worst person on earth. So I always call this show "Treem", 'cos I know it would piss her off.

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Last Week Tonight With John Oliver
I like the show, but having one really long segment in the middle of the show is risky, 'cos people aren't always going to agree on the subject at hand. I loved the "Net Neutrality" and "Dr. Oz" bits, but thought the "Prison" and "Wealth Gap" bits were shoddily researched cheerleading pieces for liberals. And yes, his constant mentioning of "GLBTGQBGTQGG issues" does get old. I'm not "against" gay rights - I just don't care enough to tweet and Facebook about it every single day like many of my friends do. So, uh, yeah, I could do without it. And the puppets and dance numbers need to stop. But I still like it, though.

Last edited by Rex Fenestrarum; 07-26-14 at 05:01 PM.
Old 07-26-14, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We tried to watch Newsroom and only got a few episodes in before I couldn't take anymore. Sometimes Sorkins characters are over the top to the point of being jarring, they are so witty or sarcastic they don't come across as having any real interaction, just delivering a bunch of punch lines. Sometimes it works, but it didn't for me with Newsroom.

I like Entourage, but they really stretched that show thin.

A lot of the shows I haven't seen, my wife watches Veep and Girls so I catch bits of them now and then. Veep I think I would really like if I sat down to watch it. I know my wife loved the first season of Girls, but now it's almost if the shtick has worn off.

Last edited by msdmoney; 07-26-14 at 01:36 AM.
Old 07-26-14, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum
Let's see...

True Blood - I really, really dislike Alan Ball and anything he does. American Beauty was a pile of pretentious shit. While Six Feet Under was much better...
I agree with all that, though I liked most of 6FU, but you should check out Banshee - it's a blast and it's so not like anything else Ball has done. Though the sexual stuff is there in droves.
Old 07-26-14, 05:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

I've only seen Games Of Thrones based on that list and I saw season one on DVD and didn't bother with the rest aside from skimming. It's just too dark, cruel, depressing, nasty, death, with no real joy at all and I can only do so much of that. I watch The Walking Dead and that's no happy show yet it's about as much as I want to do with programs that dark.
Old 07-26-14, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
I've only seen Games Of Thrones based on that list and I saw season one on DVD and didn't bother with the rest aside from skimming. It's just too dark, cruel, depressing, nasty, death, with no real joy at all and I can only do so much of that. I watch The Walking Dead and that's no happy show yet it's about as much as I want to do with programs that dark.
I'd say Walking Dead is far more relentlessly bleak than Game of Thrones. GoT at least has some humor here and there, funny character moments and dialog which makes the show more fun. WD has zero humor and no fun character moments whatsoever.
Old 07-26-14, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
I'd say Walking Dead is far more relentlessly bleak than Game of Thrones. GoT at least has some humor here and there, funny character moments and dialog which makes the show more fun. WD has zero humor and no fun character moments whatsoever.
There is something about Game Of Thrones that bothers me more. A bit hard to pin point it.
Old 07-27-14, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't really hate any of them. Hell, there are shows I have not even heard of on that list. Or if I did, I forgot them. I'm not sure what The Comeback is, and Looking only sounds vaguely familiar. Hung and Enlightened I've heard of, but never watched. Ditto for Girls. so can't comment on any of them.

From what I've watched, I've found both Veep and Silicon Valley to be excellent. I know people like to hate on True Blood now, but peoplealso generally acknowledge the early seasons to be quite good. And I still enjoy the show overall. The Newsroom is solid. doesn't measure up to other Sorkin, but its very watchable. I rather enjoyed the Entourage overall. It wasn't great, but I found it entertaining. And it was the perfect vehicle for cameos (still love the Matt Damon one).

So that leaves: The Leftovers, Hello Ladies, Luck, and Treme. I actually only watched Treme because it was from a co-creator of the Wire. Otherwise, I probably would not have cared. That said, I think Liz Lemon summed up Treme best. I never really felt in the mood to watch it, but once I got started I'd burn off several at a time. Solid show. Just watched the pilot for The Leftovers, so too early to tell. Luck and Hello Ladies cancelled after one season. I suppose Hello Ladies was the most disappointing. It was in the vein of the British office humor, but I never really loved it. Hoped it would be more. And now its gone. Luck was alright, but it's gone too. Tough to judge after such short runs.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (03-12-22)
Old 03-11-22, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by covenant

I didn't know the prerequisites for a "real female's body" was doughy, pale and numerous terrible tattoos.
I sort of stand by my statement, she does have a weird shape. but I’ve been watching Girls and it’s hilarious. Up to season 4 so far. And Adam Driver is amazing.