Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Recent HBO shows that you absolutely hate or dislike a lot?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What recent HBO shows do you absolutely hate or dislike alot?
True Blood
14.55%
The Leftovers
27.27%
Girls
45.45%
The Newsroom
18.18%
Looking
5.45%
The Comeback
7.27%
Entourage
5.45%
Enlightened
7.27%
Hello Ladies
3.64%
Silicon Valley
7.27%
Veep
5.45%
Luck
3.64%
Hung
10.91%
Treme
5.45%
Other
3.64%
One of the "cool" shows like Game of Thrones or Boardwalk Empire
10.91%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Recent HBO shows that you absolutely hate or dislike a lot?

Old 07-23-14, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
Re: Recent HBO shows that you absolutely hate or dislike a lot?

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Yeah, well you have the discerning intellectual palate of a sump pump!!
I'm just being mean, like the characters in Veep, though I don't have the wit to be as brilliantly mean as they are.
Old 07-23-14, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 602 Likes on 486 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
I couldn't get into The Newsroom despite liking the cast and loved Sorkin's The West Wing.
Same here, though I really enjoy the actual news scenes on it. The rest is hard to take. I watch it, but dislike much of it.

As for shows on the list I actually watched, Girls. Some, like True Blood and Game of Thrones, I know I would dislike simply based on the genre. Some I've never even heard of.
Old 07-23-14, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I probably will get killed for this, and I don't think hate or even strong dislike is the right term, but True Detective is/was so horribly overrated. And I was a fan the whole way through. It's just that when it was all said and done, it was pretty much a bunch of nothing. All style and no substance. And yeah I know, "it's not about the crime(s). It's about the detectives and blah blah blah." That's just a bunch of nonsense.

The show did a great job of creating intrigue and word-of-mouth buzz faster than anything I can remember. It was well-acted, well directed and overall well done. There was just nothing there! It was a fun and fantastic ride but I don't think I would ever care to watch that season over again. The ride kind of reminded me of Lost. I have nothing but fond memories of watching the entire run of Lost, but when it was all said and done, that show was a bunch of nonsense.

True Detective created such a mythology and had all these questions which not only were unanswered, but they were completely irrelevant. And seemingly nobody rebelled against the show when it was over. Like Lost, it was more a weekly event than a great show.
Old 07-23-14, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by Trelach24
True Detective created such a mythology and had all these questions which not only were unanswered, but they were completely irrelevant. And seemingly nobody rebelled against the show when it was over. Like Lost, it was more a weekly event than a great show.
I don't know that TRUE DETECTIVE didn't answer all the questions - the problem was there were a ton of fan theories circulating that really had nothing to do with the show (people were seeing things that weren't really there - or at least interpreting things in a way the writer/producer never intended).

I think people were miffed that after 7 great episodes, the conclusion was rather run-of-the-mill. But you can't say the series didn't wrap things up - I don't think it's like LOST at all (where there WERE lots of unanswered questions).
Old 07-23-14, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 546 Likes on 399 Posts

A bunch of old white guys don't like Girls? I never would have guessed.
Old 07-24-14, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Questyen
What, you think old black guys would like it any better?
Old 07-24-14, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 680 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
What, you think old black guys would like it any better?
I did. Although I'm mixed-race and is 43 old?
Old 07-24-14, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Leftovers is the only clear answer for me. Infuriates me that good surreal/stranger shows like Carnival and John from Cincinatti were canceled well before their time.

I can watch Girls and get some enjoyment from some of the humor though all of the characters (except Adam) are very unlikeable.

True Blood was once a good show but last several seasons have sucked bad. Now just watching it as it is the last season.
Old 07-24-14, 08:07 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't necessarily hate it, but Boardwalk Empire was definitely the most disappointing for me. I had such high expectations going in and the show just deflated my interest from episode to episode until I dropped it.
Old 07-24-14, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 323 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
I didn't necessarily hate it, but Boardwalk Empire was definitely the most disappointing for me. I had such high expectations going in and the show just deflated my interest from episode to episode until I dropped it.
I agree with you, but it's also one of the few series on HBO that has actually gotten better as it's proceeded. I would say each successive season has been a notch better than the prior one.
Old 07-24-14, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,033 Likes on 4,118 Posts

I went with The Newsroom which I didn't enjoy at all and am still amazed that it took the Best Actor Emmy award last year over Cranston, Hamm and Spacey. Treme did nothing for me, though I didn't really hate it. I bet I would have hated Enlightened, but the trailers and that horrible mascara drenched publicity shot turned me off so much I never even bothered watching one episode.

I am a little surprised that Girls is the runaway leader here. I have to assume some backlash due to the show's popularity in the media and to Lena Dunham's defensiveness and outspokenness in interviews. Personally, I think the show is so well written and different from any other comedy on TV. It certainly isn't my favorite show and I get the hate of these self-absorbed white girls, but still it's a smart and often very funny show. I've liked at least something in very single episode.
Old 07-24-14, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thebunk
The Leftovers is the only clear answer for me. Infuriates me that good surreal/stranger shows like Carnival and John from Cincinatti were canceled well before their time.

I can watch Girls and get some enjoyment from some of the humor though all of the characters (except Adam) are very unlikeable.

True Blood was once a good show but last several seasons have sucked bad. Now just watching it as it is the last season.
Agreed, watching the Leftovers compared to cancelled greats like Carnivale and Deadwood, it's very disheartening. HBO still has some good shows, but creatively they could really use something new and different. Game of Thrones and Boardwalk Empire are their only A list shows at the moment IMO. Everything else is pretty mediocre.
Old 07-24-14, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I did. Although I'm mixed-race and is 43 old?
I'm 42, so yes, 43 is old. Maybe that's why I find Girls entertaining - I may be white, but I'm not old...
Old 07-24-14, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by The Questyen
I'm only 6 years older than Lena Dunham and I can't stand it. I have no idea what being white would have to do with it though.
Old 07-24-14, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
I am a little surprised that Girls is the runaway leader here. I have to assume some backlash due to the show's popularity in the media and to Lena Dunham's defensiveness and outspokenness in interviews. Personally, I think the show is so well written and different from any other comedy on TV. It certainly isn't my favorite show and I get the hate of these self-absorbed white girls, but still it's a smart and often very funny show. I've liked at least something in very single episode.
Actually, the ONE thing I do like about Girls is the bolded text above. I may not really care for the show but I always applaud Dunham's courage in showing a real female's body and not being ashamed of it. The only reason I think she gets defensive is because in every single interview she does ignorant interviewers ask her the same offensive questions. It's like the media is comprised of 13 year old boys.
Old 07-24-14, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

Originally Posted by Jory
I watched two episodes of Entourage and was done with it forever.
Well if those two episodes were the ones with Dom in it then that's completely justified.
Old 07-24-14, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
I may not really care for the show but I always applaud Dunham's courage in showing a real female's body and not being ashamed of it.

I didn't know the prerequisites for a "real female's body" was doughy, pale and numerous terrible tattoos.

Last edited by covenant; 07-24-14 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-24-14, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

And here we go...
Old 07-24-14, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 166 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by covenant

I didn't know the prerequisites for a "real female's body" was doughy, pale and numerous terrible tattoos.
Now we got us a thread!
Old 07-24-14, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

I've seen women who are heavier than Dunham who also look much better nude. Her body is just fucking WEIRD. It reminds me of Chester Cobblepot in Batman Returns.
Old 07-24-14, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Oswald Cobblepot was in Batman Returns, Chester Copperpot was the explorer who was never heard from again in The Goonies.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (03-12-22)
Old 07-24-14, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Liked the first two season of Girls well enough, watched three or four episodes of season three and bailed.

Watched two episodes of The Leftovers and found nothing compelling about it whatsoever.
Old 07-24-14, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Go figure this forum mostly occupied by middle aged men and social introverts hates Girls the most

Seriously though I think Girls can be a really funny show. I know it's not for everyone, but I don't think you need to be a 20-30 something woman or hipster to like it. It's one of the few mostly female led shows that has a cast that mostly doesn't look like hot super models.

Last edited by DJariya; 07-24-14 at 03:55 PM.
Old 07-24-14, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Oswald Cobblepot was in Batman Returns, Chester Copperpot was the explorer who was never heard from again in The Goonies.
I can't believe I did that. Must have Goonies on the brain.

I think I'd rather look at Sloth nude than Dunham though.
Old 07-24-14, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 306 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Go figure this forum mostly occupied by middle aged men and social introverts hates Girls the most

Seriously though I think Girls can be a really funny show. I know it's not for everyone, but I don't think you need to be a 20-30 something woman or hipster to like it. It's one of the few mostly female led shows that has a cast that mostly doesn't look like hot super models.
I'm a 30-something who many would label as at least partially a hipster and I can't stand the show (based on the handful of episodes that I've seen). I don't care what gender the leads are and I don't care what they look like. Humor is highly subjective and I simply don't find it funny. Beyond that, it has absolutely no substance that I can get behind or identify with. If it was the exact same show, but all of the leads were hot super models I still wouldn't watch it.

All that said, it's possible that I'm just at the transition point of becoming a crotchety old man who dislikes most twenty-somethings-and-younger pop culture.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.