Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Survivor: Cagayan -- 2 Hour Finale & Reunion Show -- "It's Do Or Die" -- 5/21/14

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be the Sole Survivor?
Tony
55.00%
Spencer
35.00%
Kass
0%
Woo
10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: Cagayan -- 2 Hour Finale & Reunion Show -- "It's Do Or Die" -- 5/21/14

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-14, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts
Re: Survivor: Cagayan -- 2 Hour Finale & Reunion Show -- "It's Do Or Die" -- 5/21/14

Originally Posted by thebunk
Also, I am really shocked at all of those in this thread saying as matter a fact about Spencer's speech not having an impact. Between Sarah, Trish, Jeremiah and Jeffra, a good portion of that jury was EXTREMELY butt hurt. Spencer spoke the absolute truth and his appeal to the jury was very refreshing. Not sure what the final vote was but I have to think it made a bit of an impact and maybe brought some people back to the real world to consider how they would look if they were all sour-pusses once the show aired.
The vote was 8-1. If Woo hadn't gotten more votes, they would have shown them.

My guess is that the they had their mind pretty much made up before the vote including who would throw the token vote to Woo. That really is the only way to explain Tasha (a huge gamer) voting for Woo.

Spencer's speech was probably partially for TV and partially just in case any one was wavering.
Old 05-24-14, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Survivor: Cagayan -- 2 Hour Finale & Reunion Show -- "It's Do Or Die" -- 5/21/14

I would have loved to see Spencer in another Survivor immediately following this one, so that the others weren't familiar with his gameplay. Not much chance of that, unless they let him come back and play with his sister (she looked pretty young... I hope she'd meet the age req.).
Old 05-24-14, 11:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by leeta
I would have loved to see Spencer in another Survivor immediately following this one, so that the others weren't familiar with his gameplay.
Yeah, there's no chance of that. I believe that the next season starts shooting sometime next week.
Old 05-25-14, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by leeta
I would have loved to see Spencer in another Survivor immediately following this one, so that the others weren't familiar with his gameplay. Not much chance of that, unless they let him come back and play with his sister (she looked pretty young... I hope she'd meet the age req.).
I don't think Spencer's gameplay this season will hurt him. In fact, in a mixed cast he should have both new and returning players wanting to work with him b/c he showed himself to be fairly trustworthy. Tasha should be ok too.

Tony, on the other hand, would have had problems in a returning season. It's a good thing he won this time. If they bring back Kass (ugh!) she'll have the same problem. No one will trust her b/c she's out for "ChaosKass#"
Old 05-25-14, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by thebunk
Also, I am really shocked at all of those in this thread saying as matter a fact about Spencer's speech not having an impact. Between Sarah, Trish, Jeremiah and Jeffra, a good portion of that jury was EXTREMELY butt hurt. Spencer spoke the absolute truth and his appeal to the jury was very refreshing. Not sure what the final vote was but I have to think it made a bit of an impact and maybe brought some people back to the real world to consider how they would look if they were all sour-pusses once the show aired.
Agreed 100%!

Spencer's speech had a significant impact and easily changed four votes that would have went for Woo. There were some seriously butthurt people on the jury that hated the way Tony played - his lies and swearing on his family members did not sit well with some of them. I think Spencer's speech made some of those people take a step back and realize that even though Tony did lie, cheat and steal his way to the end, he played the game and played it better than Woo did.
Old 05-25-14, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Were they really butthurt or did they just act butthurt because they really had nothing else to talk about?
Old 05-25-14, 03:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For an interesting twist, the producers should have just immediately starting filming at the end of the season...bringing back the same cast.

Be nice to see how things would play out differently now when the same cast knows how everyone plays. Also would be interesting to see how things would be different with a rested cast of early cast-offs vs. an exhausted cast of finalists.

And to see if Trish would just fall over from hunger and if she would still be T's lapdog.

As incentive to get everyone to return, they could double the payouts. And they could bring back Tyler Perry, the gaggle of kids, Johnny Cochran, Parv, and all of the other folks at the reunion.

Oh, yeah, and bring back Win Duffy's eyebrows.

Another possibility for a twist: have two-hour episodes featuring two different groups of 12 on two different islands. When they get down to final six, merge the two tribes into one 1-hour show and let them have at it.

Last edited by creekdipper; 05-25-14 at 03:16 PM.
Old 05-25-14, 03:33 PM

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Setzer
Agreed 100%!

Spencer's speech had a significant impact and easily changed four votes that would have went for Woo. There were some seriously butthurt people on the jury that hated the way Tony played - his lies and swearing on his family members did not sit well with some of them. I think Spencer's speech made some of those people take a step back and realize that even though Tony did lie, cheat and steal his way to the end, he played the game and played it better than Woo did.
Watch the Ponderosa clips or read any of their exit interviews almost no one was ever considering voting for Woo unless he was 1 on 1 against Kass. His nicname by a lot of the cast was Woo The Weasle.Similiar to Matthew in Amazon the likeable underdog who was edited to us in the episodes was not how people who played with him viewed the guy.

The only juror's vote that seems wtf is Sarah's.
Old 05-25-14, 03:36 PM

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Were they really butthurt or did they just act butthurt because they really had nothing else to talk about?
I dunno. Would you be pissed if you thought you were close to possibly winning a million dollars and someone took it from ya.
Old 05-25-14, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

As "likeable" as Woo was, he cast every single vote that Tony did so it's not like he wasn't betraying too. Would you rather vote for the guy who came up with the plan or would you rather vote for the guy he convinced to do it every time.
Old 05-26-14, 07:01 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez
I dunno. Would you be pissed if you thought you were close to possibly winning a million dollars and someone took it from ya.
Depends upon whether I were a long-time Survivor viewer who understood that the object of the game is to win by any means including blind-sides, false promises, game-changing shakeups from producers, etc....or if were a naive person expecting everyone to play a completely honest, straight-up, "fair" game in a way that mirrors what I expect from people in the real world.

Thankfully, it appears that everyone this season was realistic when they placed their final vote (although they indicated that they would have chosen Woo over Kass...presumably because Woo played a better "social game" while making no moves other than to attach himself to Tony).
Old 08-14-14, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Wasn't sure where to put this or if it deserved it's own thread.

'Survivor' editors go on strike, might delay premiere

The editors have spoken: Just six weeks before the 29th cycle of Survivor is set to premiere, the long-running reality hit’s editing team has gone on strike.

Sources say the Guild notified the Survivor producers that their editors wanted a union contract and requested that negotiations start immediately. When their letter did not receive a reply, the editors went on strike. As first reported by by Deadline, the roughly two dozen employees are primarily seeking health coverage and pension benefits.

“This wildly successful program has helped to define the genre of reality television, and editors play a critical role in shaping the show” said Editors Guild President Alan Heim, A.C.E. in a statement. “They seek the same health benefits, pensions, and basic protections that their counterparts elsewhere in the industry have long enjoyed. After 28 successful seasons and 16 Emmy nominations, that doesn’t seem too much to ask.”

The strike has the potential to delay the return of the series—this cycle is officially titled Survivor: San Juan del Sur – Blood vs. Water—which is scheduled to launch Sept. 24. Last week, CBS announced Survivor‘s premiere would be extended to 90 minutes, a move that increases the workload for the show’s editors. The Survivor team shoots about 250 hours of footage to create one episode, host Jeff Probst said in a 2012 interview, and we’re told this fall’s premiere cut is due at the network next week.

“There’s a lot of work that remains to be done before they have anything that they can actually broadcast, and right now that work is not happening,” said a person close to the situation. “This definitely starts to become more problematic the longer it goes on.”

The editors on at least two of Survivor executive producer Mark Burnett’s other hit shows—ABC’s Shark Tank and NBC’s The Voice—are already unionized under MPEG’s parent union IATSE. Survivor is also up for two Emmys this year—one for editing and the other for cinematography.

CBS and Mark Burnett Productions did not reply to an official request for comment.
Old 08-14-14, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

That's interesting. I'd go so far as to say the editing pretty much MAKES the show, so they should certainly have the same benefits other Mark Burnett show gets. Especially since this is the most successful.
Old 08-15-14, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After Probst they most certainly are the MVPs of the show.
Old 08-15-14, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

The reason networks went into the reality business? So they could avoid paying expensive Hollywood unions like they have done for decades with their scripted programming.