Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Survivor: Cagayan -- 2 Hour Finale & Reunion Show -- "It's Do Or Die" -- 5/21/14

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Who will be the Sole Survivor?
Tony
55.00%
Spencer
35.00%
Kass
0%
Woo
10.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Survivor: Cagayan -- 2 Hour Finale & Reunion Show -- "It's Do Or Die" -- 5/21/14

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-14, 10:25 PM
Mok
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Survivor: Cagayan -- 2 Hour Finale & Reunion Show -- "It's Do Or Die" -- 5/21/14

Congrats to Tony.
Old 05-21-14, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts
Re: Survivor: Cagayan -- 2 Hour Finale & Reunion Show -- "It's Do Or Die" -- 5/21/14

Woo proves that being loyal only goes so far. The jury loves someone who plays hard.

I wonder what twist they are going to do with the Blood vs Water? Will they get to compete with their loved ones this time or will it be like the first one?
Old 05-21-14, 10:56 PM
Mok

You know I thought Woo had in the bag, but when Spencer gave that speech I think it gave the win to Tony.
Old 05-21-14, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was a big Spencer fan until that dick move at the end convincing the jury to vote for Tony. DICK. MOVE.
Old 05-21-14, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Mok
You know I thought Woo had in the bag, but when Spencer gave that speech I think it gave the win to Tony.
I can't say I was pulling for Woo, but it sure looked like he had some support. Then Spencer's speech to the jury came out of nowhere. I thought it was ironic that he was critical of Woo for being Tony's dog, then felt the need to campaign for Tony. I don't know if it made a difference or not, but it sure seemed like it might have the way it was shown.
Old 05-21-14, 11:26 PM

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
I was a big Spencer fan until that dick move at the end convincing the jury to vote for Tony. DICK. MOVE.

A bunch of people did not change who they will give a million dollars to based on a speech.

Just like Erik's speech in Samoa did not change a bunch of peoples vote.

A. TC last hours and it's highly edited and condensed

B. The speeches don't even always happen in the same order they show them on tv.
Old 05-21-14, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Spencer spoke nothing but truth to a butt hurt jury. Tony successfully played a Russel game.
Old 05-22-14, 12:29 AM

As bad a move as Woo's final decision was, Kass was still the biggest idiot (and most clueless) out there. Even at Final 4 - when she is going to get Spencer out (which is her ONLY remote chance), she has to open up her mouth and validate that yeah she would vote against Tony if she won at Final 3. WHY validate that? Even if everyone knows it why say it out loud right before they are about to cast a vote? She seems to have a massive inferiority complex, and maybe it was just the edit, seems to be an incredibly petty person (despite taking emotion out of her decisions )

Also can we just nickname Probst "Hyperbole Man"? I get he's trying to talk things up but good grief man , not every thing has to be the "best ever". When he says that over and over, it kind of loses any meaning and makes it sound like he's just trying to artificially prop things up.
Old 05-22-14, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

It is pretty funny that if Woo had been a second slower on his gear puzzle, he would have won a million dollars.
Old 05-22-14, 01:58 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
It is pretty funny that if Woo had been a second slower on his gear puzzle, he would have won a million dollars.
Ha! Good catch...never thought of it that way.

Another lame "reunion" show...made worse by the "live updates" in the earlier two hours. One of the fun things about going to the live show is seeing how the contestants look months (or, according to them, nearly a year) later. This time they gave it away by the completely irrelevant visit to the 'sequester room' with the contestants.

No gripes with Tony winning the Tony Show (about 80% assured as soon as he got the Tyler Perry Idol)...almost felt sorry for him during F.T. when petty contestants started ripping him for actually playing the game the way it's supposed to be played). Not his fault that his way was paved for him; in fact, the stupid comments made by others made it apparent why Tony was able to manipulate them so easily.

Big gripes (as usual) with the afterbirth, though.

(1) Once again, several contestants get ignored (including two jury members) and don't get a chance to speak. Probst repeatedly came back to Tony so that he could repeat what we'd heard countless times before. Didn't ask Jefra why she didn't switch alliances when she had the chance or Jeremiah why he took Tony's oath-taking so seriously. Several others ignored so that we could get shots of Cochran, talk to Parvati, interview some anonymous kids, let T. Perry blather on about the special idol (and plug his new project), talk to Spencer's mom & a wounded vet, talk to a N.J. cop, and do otherwise forgettable segments.

(2) Once again, no memory walk. I used to think that was lame but now realize that it was a good way to remind viewers of the early ones who got jettisoned (as well as remind us of what a long journey the show goes through). I barely remembered David, Garrett, and several others until Jeff called on them to speak.

(3) Agree about Probst's hyperbole. Gets worse every season, it seems.

Any bets on how long until Spencer & Tony return? I'd say that Morgan has a big edge over Kass re: returning...Jeff lingered on Morgan while pretty much dissing Kass. Playing the tweet about bringing back Tasha might be a little foreshadowing, too, and Woo has a good shot.

How much did Woo get for 2nd place? Kass for 3rd? That might explain some of her disappointment...I'm sure she was looking forward to arguing her case before the jury (her forte), but she also might have eyeballing the 2nd-place cash in case she didn't have a realistic shot at winning. [Edit: Just looked this up...seems that most seasons 2nd place gets $100K while 3rd gets $85K.]
Old 05-22-14, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I was hoping Woo would win but I would have voted for Tony. Would have liked to see Kass get questioned.
Old 05-22-14, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spencer was the best part of the season for me and I hope that he gets another shot to play.

Kass redeemed herself a bit in taking her eviction well and also laughing at herself being called out by other jury members, being a good sport about the fact she would have lost to Woo (who didn't deserve a single jury vote against either Kass or Tony, but it just goes to show you again how the social game is taken WAY too seriously in my opinion.) and she didn't come to the reunion show looking to embrace the "villain" part of her "character" like someone like Russell. I was annoyed by her constantly while watching, but I think that she's mostly right that if she were a guy, she'd have gotten far less flack about it. As a viewer, it was really her smugness that I didn't like anyway

Morgan really did nothing to deserve an invite back, but I could understand that her looks alone could open the door for a repeat appearance. Again, I see nothing in Woo that would make me want to see him given another chance. He didn't do the "honorable" thing by taking the stronger opponent to the final 2. It's a game for one million dollars...it was a ridiculously bad decision no matter how he justifies it. Tasha also seems like a lock to get asked back.

Jeremiah actually seemed sort of likable during the season, but he lost me completely with his crazy jury "question." Not that there's ever really more than 1-2 decent questions/comments anyway. I'll never understand how people take the swearing on your wife and kids or badge or dead father thing so seriously. Trish seemed completely out of her mind focusing on whether Tony's dead father's soul was important or not to Tony. I mean, either he's in heaven, where things are perfectly wonderful and no one wastes their time paying attention to the idiots things the living still do OR he doesn't exist anymore and would have even less interest in what Tony says. As if any of that really should mean anything when the goal for Tony was to win that money for the wife and kid he swore on and give them a better life.

I did not think Tony was really that Russell like at all. The guy always seemed like he had a heart even when he was backstabbing and being completely neurotic.

I'm surprised that so many of you thought that Woo was doing so well with the jury. I thought Tony was taking the beating that the villain player always takes, but I didn't get the sense at all that Woo was going to get more than 1or 2 votes tops.

How did they make a beauty tribe with so many people wanting be on Survivor and end up choosing Jefra? Cute...yes...Beauty? I didn't think so at all.

Pretty decent season overall.
Old 05-22-14, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

More than anything, Tony lucked into that position by having some of the dumbest tribe members possible. His paranoia was off the charts and I don't know how many times he burned people, but by the end of the day he gained them back as loyal as ever.

I am glad he won and that Khaos Kass got voted the fuck out. But seriously, the amount of dumb moves this season shocked me.
Old 05-22-14, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
How did they make a beauty tribe with so many people wanting be on Survivor and end up choosing Jefra? Cute...yes...Beauty? I didn't think so at all.
Jefra was an actual beauty queen. She was Miss Teen Kentucky, was in the Miss Teen USA Pageant, and was a runner-up in the Miss Kentucky Pageant.

http://starcasm.net/archives/262478

Beauty is subjective, but it can be argued that Jefra actually has more beauty "cred" than the others.

I agree with you about Tony though. He played hard and lied, but he never came across as mean-spirited or cruel towards the other players.
Old 05-22-14, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 243 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper

I'm sure she was looking forward to arguing her case before the jury (her forte),
I never even thought about that, but Tony should have played that angle when he was pleading with Woo to keep him instead of Kass.

I hope Woo doesn't beat himself up too much about his choice because of the jury members who claimed they would have voted for him. Keep in mind they were saying that many months after the fact. As much as I hate ****face Kass, I have a hard time believing they would have given the million to Woo over her when it was time to actually cast their votes.

And I really hope we have seen the last of the special idol. That is way too much power.
Old 05-22-14, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by AaronHernandez

A bunch of people did not change who they will give a million dollars to based on a speech.

Just like Erik's speech in Samoa did not change a bunch of peoples vote.

A. TC last hours and it's highly edited and condensed

B. The speeches don't even always happen in the same order they show them on tv.
I don't think the ONLY reason Tony won was Spencer's impassioned plea. And I agree that Tony deserved to win. I guess what I mean is that is sounded like sour grapes or a tantrum to me that he'd go off like that for either one of the contestants.

Switching gears, did I miss it, or did they ever address how disliked Kass was?
Old 05-22-14, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

Switching gears, did I miss it, or did they ever address how disliked Kass was?
They didn't really address it but seeing how everyone including Jeff kept calling her a goat, I think she got the picture. Everyone seemed to be in agreement.
Old 05-22-14, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Russel seemed to be diabolical. He seemed to relish his role as the villain. I didn't get that sense from Tony. I got the sense he was throwing as much shit against the wall as possible and seeing what stuck. The only thing they have in common is they both hustled to stay on top.

And I think Kass' point that if she was a man people wouldn't judge her so harshly is bullshit. It's not as if she made great strategic moves for starters, but the thing that annoyed the living hell out of me was how smug she came across. Smugness from a man or a woman is annoying. Period.
Old 05-22-14, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by stingermck
Spencer spoke nothing but truth to a butt hurt jury. Tony successfully played a Russel game.
Except he is a big ole hypocrite . If Kass was in the f2 he would have been just as butt hurt as the other jurors were and would have been tore into her for flipping at f11 even though it was the best move for her.

It's easy to be "don't be bitter guys respect Tony" when you are voted out at f4 for being a jury threat and not lied to about the vote.
Old 05-22-14, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
Morgan really did nothing to deserve an invite back
You mean having the funniest juror speech and being very expressive during every tribal council. Any time the focus was on her she delivered great confessionals. Her major flaw from what was said is she was physically weak and did not contribute but I don't think that should be a major factor in who they invite back unless people are hankering for bores like LJ.
Old 05-22-14, 11:15 AM

I'd like to see Morgan back just to see if she did actually try doing something instead of just relying on her looks since she claims to now realize she can't do that.

Ok, maybe not just for that.
Old 05-22-14, 11:16 AM

And I think Kass' point that if she was a man people wouldn't judge her so harshly is bullshit. It's not as if she made great strategic moves for starters,
Except Jeremiah,Sarah and Spencer confirmed they have a f3. Her logic may have been off but she had no gurantee of f3 sticking with the 6. The flaw with her game was entirely like Hantz the way she treated people guranteed her a loss against anyone.
Old 05-22-14, 12:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Tony should be giving Spencer a cut of his winnings for his final jury speech. I think Woo wins otherwise. Lots of bitter, butthurt people and Spencer knocked some sense into them. Russell could have used someone like him on his jury.
Old 05-22-14, 01:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Russel seemed to be diabolical. He seemed to relish his role as the villain. I didn't get that sense from Tony. I got the sense he was throwing as much shit against the wall as possible and seeing what stuck. The only thing they have in common is they both hustled to stay on top.

And I think Kass' point that if she was a man people wouldn't judge her so harshly is bullshit. It's not as if she made great strategic moves for starters, but the thing that annoyed the living hell out of me was how smug she came across. Smugness from a man or a woman is annoying. Period.
Russell and Tony played a very similar game. They both were willing to lie, cheat & steal their way to the end. The only difference was Tony didn't do stuff to ruin camp life for everyone like hide the machete or socks.
Old 05-22-14, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Setzer
Tony should be giving Spencer a cut of his winnings for his final jury speech. I think Woo wins otherwise. Lots of bitter, butthurt people and Spencer knocked some sense into them. Russell could have used someone like him on his jury.
I doubt anyone changed their vote because of that speech. No one was directly asked if it influenced their vote but from the the interviews it didn't sound that way.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.