TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Challenge: Free Agents (MTV) - Premieres 4/10/14

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-14, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: The Challenge: Free Agents (MTV) - Premieres 4/10/14

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I think if they tried to do that, they would probably need to up the monetary prizes to entice people. As much as people here like to complain about the same people coming back and how they have no lives and only do these shows, I imagine a lot of those people from the past have actually moved on and have jobs and families. Plus old age
That's why I don't want to see that. I like bringing in fresh blood every few years. I don't want to see a bunch of people in their mid 30's partying and trying to win a sum of money that isn't all that much in the grand scheme of things. It would just be depressing to watch.

I know a lot of people don't like the new crop but I bet they'd be the same people complaining if MTV was trotting in the same group every season.

I think they should focus Real World casting on bringing in people that will be good to watch on the Challenge. Make it the NCAA to the NFL. Give us a chance to watch these people in the minors for a season so we can enjoy watching them succeed/fail at the Challenge.
Old 05-15-14, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I was wondering if he was playing a character. I was wondering how anyone could be such a dick in real life and get along. He certainly plays an asshole well.

How did he forward his career?
Basically he invests in startups for a piece of the company.

Wes Bergman

Wes is one of the most hated guys in ‘Challenge’ history, but he’s also a college-educated businessman! When he’s not brawling with his MTV cast mates, Wes is the lead investor for a company called BetaBlox, which helps entrepreneurs through the beginning stages of opening their businesses. Wes has a Bachelors degree in Entrepreneurial Management and Marketing from Arizona State University.
Old 05-16-14, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

TJ is having so much fun with the trivia questions, this was probably one of the funnest trivia rounds i've seen on the Challenge. I'm glad they didn't ask Challenge specific questions, as I like the random trivia questions much better. I love how so many of these people are dumb as bricks

I had read that they changed the Looper game to make it easier for someone to win after Cara/Nia went on forever, and also that the bells were closer together and the ropes shorter for wider camera shots, and it looks like they added a rope to grab on to as well. Swift still went out easily though, bummed Jordan won. Camilla looked like she just broke down.

Last edited by fumanstan; 05-16-14 at 02:32 AM.
Old 05-16-14, 04:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dutch?
Old 05-16-14, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

TJ was hilarious during the trivia questions.
Old 05-23-14, 10:31 AM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

A real bonehead move by Jordan. But it would've been awesome if he really did win. Honestly...if I saw a climbing challenge and only had 1 hand...I wouldn't have gone through with flipping all the cards. It's just dumb to talk such a big game. He wasn't this bad last challenge. I was rooting for him to take it all last time.

I would've been just like Zak in that challenge. I hate being constrained like that.

Also, is it just me or does Laurel have a mustache?
Old 05-23-14, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Big balls on Jordan, but yeah it seems like the climbing challenge would have been the worst for him to do. I would have loved to see the one where they put the ball in the bucket just to really see those two go at it physically.
Old 06-06-14, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I expected to see more hits in that challenge, especially with the guys. It's funny that Nany took the best hit. That Laurel/Cara Maria fight seems so silly, but Laurel really comes up as a bitch cheering on Jessica and everything.
Old 06-06-14, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

I expected to see more hits in that challenge, especially with the guys. It's funny that Nany took the best hit. That Laurel/Cara Maria fight seems so silly, but Laurel really comes up as a bitch cheering on Jessica and everything.
Cara said the real reason for the fight didn't even make the TV show edit. Sometimes friends fight. They appear to be fine now so it's just TV show drama at this point.
Old 06-06-14, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Cara said the real reason for the fight didn't even make the TV show edit. Sometimes friends fight. They appear to be fine now so it's just TV show drama at this point.
Where'd she say that? And did she say what the real reason was?

Also, women.
Old 06-06-14, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Where'd she say that? And did she say what the real reason was?

Also, women.
I'll always root for her, but CM is a strange girl.

Twitter. @CaraMariaMTV

"the "you are ugly" comment stems from something that was said by Laurel about a production member. The fall out happened from another moment"

"The big fight happened from a huge ugly blow up in another situation- nothing to do about worrying about being voted in.#fortherecord"

"Seeing all the mean things said about @laurelstucky honestly hurts me as much as the things we said to each other. This is uncomfortable."

"@laurelstucky is not a cold hearted girl. she held my hand and got me ninja turtle onsies for my blood draw."
Old 06-06-14, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts

I expected to see more hits in that challenge, especially with the guys.
Yeah, they really seemed to just avoid each other which was disappointing.

I was kinda sad they didn't reshow the massive hit CT put on Johnny Bananas and his teammate (cannot remember his name) on a Rivals episode several seasons back in the same challenge. CT delivered a blow that knocked them both down that would make an NFL player proud. CT wanted blood on that season.

And yes, Laurel is a CUNextTuesday and has a mustache. My wife is always screaming at the TV for her to WAX!!!!!
Old 06-06-14, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'll always root for her, but CM is a strange girl.

Twitter. @CaraMariaMTV

"the "you are ugly" comment stems from something that was said by Laurel about a production member. The fall out happened from another moment"

"The big fight happened from a huge ugly blow up in another situation- nothing to do about worrying about being voted in.#fortherecord"

"Seeing all the mean things said about @laurelstucky honestly hurts me as much as the things we said to each other. This is uncomfortable."

"@laurelstucky is not a cold hearted girl. she held my hand and got me ninja turtle onsies for my blood draw."
Thanks, while I haven't seen much of it on camera it seemed like a lot of people have said she's childish and annoying so all that isn't too surprising.
Old 06-06-14, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks, while I haven't seen much of it on camera it seemed like a lot of people have said she's childish and annoying so all that isn't too surprising.
Laurel has referred to her as a little sister. You might love your little sister, but she can also drive you nuts.

Not that I think Laurel is blameless and doesn't have faults of her own.
Old 06-13-14, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Laurel vs Cara on the wall? Sorry Cara
Old 06-13-14, 09:05 PM

Johanna looked soooo good on that aftershow.
Old 06-13-14, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The sad thing is that Nany had first choice. If she had continued to say Teresa, then there is NO WAY JB would have stuck to his guns put himself in the duel. He would have said Teresa too, and Laurel would have sent her home.

I hope CM doesn't even try to do the wall. She could hurt herself doing that. I know she is still getting rehab for her shoulder injury from earlier this year.

The aftershow should also quell any "Kenny is banned" gossip.
Old 06-13-14, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The aftershow should also quell any "Kenny is banned" gossip.
To be fair, that whole lawsuit was settled so it's not surprised he was banned or kept off the show for the last couple of years while that was going on, returning now only after its done with.
Old 06-13-14, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

There was an after show? Damn. Mine didn't record.
Old 06-13-14, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Not much of an after show, just a special that did various top 3 moments in various categories.

It's online - http://www.mtv.com/shows/challenge_f...st/#id=1728262
Old 06-14-14, 07:39 AM

To be fair, that whole lawsuit was settled so it's not surprised he was banned or kept off the show for the last couple of years while that was going on, returning now only after its done with.
This isn't the first time Kenny was on an MTV related after show. Him and Snooki hosted some other Challenge clip show maybe a year or 2 ago. Kenny and Evan were never "banned" but MTV just distanced themselves from them for a little.
Old 06-14-14, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by dex14
This isn't the first time Kenny was on an MTV related after show. Him and Snooki hosted some other Challenge clip show maybe a year or 2 ago. Kenny and Evan were never "banned" but MTV just distanced themselves from them for a little.
Well it looks like the lawsuit was settled back in 2012, so I'd be surprised if it was before the settlement.

Regardless, I'd love to see either Evan or Kenny back on the actual challenge.
Old 06-18-14, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts

Just watched this the other night. I know Cara Maria is a good competitor but wouldn't it be smarter to keep her around if she has a broken bone in her hand? On the final challenge, this could be a solid advantage against her since the finals have become uber-crazy in the last few years.
Old 06-18-14, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Just watched this the other night. I know Cara Maria is a good competitor but wouldn't it be smarter to keep her around if she has a broken bone in her hand? On the final challenge, this could be a solid advantage against her since the finals have become uber-crazy in the last few years.
Yes, Theresa is clearly a bigger threat than Cara now. Just looking at her before the vote proves that she has passed her breaking point and is more likely to roll over in the Final than Theresa. For all the talk about strategy, these people are pretty damn stupid. It's clear that Bananas was out to get Cara since she spearheaded throwing him in before. Nany is just dumb. She could have said Theresa on the last vote and Bananas would have had to agree with her.

Johnny is ice cold. It doesn't even matter to him which girl goes in yet he had no problem looking a broken and crying Cara Maria in the eye and saying her name. I respect that.
Old 06-18-14, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
Yes, Theresa is clearly a bigger threat than Cara now. Just looking at her before the vote proves that she has passed her breaking point and is more likely to roll over in the Final than Theresa. For all the talk about strategy, these people are pretty damn stupid. It's clear that Bananas was out to get Cara since she spearheaded throwing him in before. Nany is just dumb. She could have said Theresa on the last vote and Bananas would have had to agree with her.

Johnny is ice cold. It doesn't even matter to him which girl goes in yet he had no problem looking a broken and crying Cara Maria in the eye and saying her name. I respect that.
I agree with most of what you wrote. I guess I respect JB for being so prepared for these challenges and making moves that are only in his best interest. That said, this is his entire life so he has a lot more reason to be prepared than anyone else. I don't think anyone has lived entirely off of MTV challenges like Bananas. Also, while it was ice cold to say Cara Maria, why was it even a good decision? I admire her fight, but I think Theresa is tougher and with a demolished hand, CM would be even weaker in the final challenge.

The Nany decision does, in fact, highlight just how stupid most of these people really are. Yes, it's still very fun to watch, but you get a better overall group of people with some intellect on Big Brother than on the Challenge. As has been stated before, there was ZERO chance Bananas would have put himself into a duel, but Nany just panicked and gave no thought to what she did and let Bananas totally off the hook, when he most certainly would have said Theresa before putting himself at risk.

I'd like to see CT and Laurel win (I'm assuming CM has no chance on the wall). There is going to be 1 female winner and 1 male winner, right? If CT wasn't pretty dumb himself and just one drink or one bad moment away from being a dangerous sociopath, he might be the perfect guy. Even I'm attracted to the him sometimes.

I really like how he's been so super supportive to Cara this season.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.