Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

True Detective - Season Finale - "Form and Void" - 3/9/14

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-14, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,021 Likes on 630 Posts
Re: True Detective - Season Finale - "Form and Void" - 3/9/14

Yeah, the "green ears" clue breaking the case was the worst part to me.
Old 03-13-14, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

So the Yellow King turns out to be a nobody on a lawnmower painting the school facilities. In some ways, that's the most frightening revelation of all.
Exactly - that evil can be the "everyman."
Old 03-13-14, 04:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seen folks come into the ER with worse wounds than that to the abdomen and recover. I've seen others die with less. This was nowhere out of the realm of possibility.
Old 03-13-14, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coladar1
Only one comparable is your second one - 10inch blade, hunting knife. The woman? Stabbed 40 times in the gut, had to be a pair of nail clippers - plus, for a woman I'd imagine the lower abdomen might be slightly rearranged from a male, especially if she'd given birth before. But that's whatever - on the fake show, he got stabbed hard with a long blade. Probably six inches penetration?

The attacker made a point of slicing upwards, then jerking it around. Then, lastly, lifting the dude up with it - so figure 180-200lb of weight supported by the blade - it was either the dullest knife ever or got caught on a rib, lest it should've rended him in two.

Finally, there's another vital fact here versus your cases - this dude was a killer. Of humans. Like, a lot of them. No way he doesn't have a basic knowledge of anatomy and killing blows. It makes the 'Maybe it was a miracle and missed everything's unbelievable. He knew where organs are, where arteries are - and even if he did and aimed intentionally not to kill Rust, *lifting an adult male in the air by a knife in their gut* is game over, man. Game. Over.

And secondly, as with your case about the 10 inch blade - I imagine when someone stabs another normally, there's shock and "holy shit. What did I just do?" They are likely to hesitate, or failing that lost in an all out rage, stopping the second they realize what they did. Here, a murderer is going to keep going - exactly like Errol did. Not letting go, not hesitating; shoving it in angled, twisting and jerking, etc. Probably every Googled miracle stabbing survival has the normal human reaction to stabbing another working in it's favor to increase the likelihood of minimizing damage.

So I just cannot accept him surviving that, whether from sepsis, organ damage or bleeding out after pulling the knife out when EMTs were still a good ten minutes away from getting to work on him.
Hollywood consistently makes people far more killable then people really are. Unless your brains are splattered on the wall, or you take one to the heart, you got a good chance at surviving.

In fact, Rusty there had about a 95% chance of being surviving since he was close to getting medical help.

http://scienceblogs.com/deltoid/1993.../knives-00000/

The study is in Annals of Surgery Vol 153 pp 639-649 “Civilian
Penetrating Wounds of the Abdomen” by Wilson and Sherman. It covers stab
(5% mortality) and gun shot wounds (17% mortality) to the abdomen.
Heck, even if you get stabbed in the heart, 1 out of 3 people survive.

Cracked did a great article on this:

http://www.cracked.com/article_19698...e-survive.html
Old 03-13-14, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

Someone pointed out elsewhere that the one episode where Rust borrowed Marty's lawnmower and came over to cut the grass was some huge foreshadowing no one picked up on. That was before they visited the school and met Errol for the first time, right?
Old 03-13-14, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by thelwig14
The knife stab was by far the least goofiest thing of that whole 25 minute stretch starting with WH's Scooby Doo moment with the house paint job and ending with the beginning in the hospital room.
Are you kidding me? Errol lifting him a foot off the ground with a knife in one hand and a hatchet in the other and keeping him in the air while being headbutted three times is probably the most ridiculous thing in the entire series.
Old 03-14-14, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
Seen folks come into the ER with worse wounds than that to the abdomen and recover. I've seen others die with less. This was nowhere out of the realm of possibility.
Also replying to the Hollywood making people more vulnerable than they really are, but worse wounds than a brute shoving a big, long knife hard, jerking and twisting, then lifting the dude up by the knife lodged in his gut for over a minute? Like I said, the mere fact he didn't get rended in two - or at least the knife ended up several inches further up his chest - after being hoisted by it is ridiculous.

For stomach stabbings in particular and the 'more killable than they really are', I'd always understood that getting stabbed in the stomach is something Hollywood actually gets wrong the other way around - that a good hard stabbing in the gut is often fatal and Hollywood under-represents the consequences of your digestive system mixing with your blood. Sepsis = game over, and that if the knife or bullet goes through intestines medicine has few cures once all that $#!t, literal $#!t, mixes in with one's bloodstream. Then again, there's a reason I can't practice medicine (seeing as I never went to Med school), so who knows.

Likewise, that ain't even my point of contention here: I'd begrudgingly buy Rust surviving. But not when he has his feet lifted off the ground by a knife lodged in his stomach. Obviously the damage they showed, I can believe someone had seen worse in an ER than that somewhat small stomach wound. I just don't believe supporting 180+lbs. of weight with a hunting knife in soft fatty tissue, and then a struggle ensuing during 45-70 seconds of being suspended mid-air solely with said knife, doesn't result in only a basic stabbing wound. No way.
Old 03-14-14, 06:02 PM

Not knowing the statistics of the likelihood of Rusty surviving a stabbing like that, I was surprised that he survived it. Though abdominal wounds are often portrayed as fatal in many shows and movies. But for me, the most unbelievable aspect of that encounter is how Errol somehow turned into Michael Myers, shrugging off multiple gunshot wounds like they were mosquito bites until only a head shot finished him off. Overall, I liked the fact that for such a bleak series, it ended on a positive note.
Old 03-14-14, 06:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Coladar1
Also replying to the Hollywood making people more vulnerable than they really are, but worse wounds than a brute shoving a big, long knife hard, jerking and twisting, then lifting the dude up by the knife lodged in his gut for over a minute? Like I said, the mere fact he didn't get rended in two - or at least the knife ended up several inches further up his chest - after being hoisted by it is ridiculous.

For stomach stabbings in particular and the 'more killable than they really are', I'd always understood that getting stabbed in the stomach is something Hollywood actually gets wrong the other way around - that a good hard stabbing in the gut is often fatal and Hollywood under-represents the consequences of your digestive system mixing with your blood. Sepsis = game over, and that if the knife or bullet goes through intestines medicine has few cures once all that $#!t, literal $#!t, mixes in with one's bloodstream. Then again, there's a reason I can't practice medicine (seeing as I never went to Med school), so who knows.

Likewise, that ain't even my point of contention here: I'd begrudgingly buy Rust surviving. But not when he has his feet lifted off the ground by a knife lodged in his stomach. Obviously the damage they showed, I can believe someone had seen worse in an ER than that somewhat small stomach wound. I just don't believe supporting 180+lbs. of weight with a hunting knife in soft fatty tissue, and then a struggle ensuing during 45-70 seconds of being suspended mid-air solely with said knife, doesn't result in only a basic stabbing wound. No way.
Do you understand how long it takes for sepsis to kick in? Do you know around 50% of those that develop septic shock recover? Trust medical professionals, not movies. Your ribs are much stronger than you understand. Sure they can be broken relatively easy by sheer instant blunt force, but they can easily support 180lbs while other musculature is intact to assist. That stab could have easily missed the abdominal aorta.

The part I would have trouble with, is that he was so quick to grab on to the stabbing arm and the swinging arm, BUT we had been shown prior in the series that he meditates and has learned to calm himself in strenuous situations.
Old 03-14-14, 07:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
Someone pointed out elsewhere that the one episode where Rust borrowed Marty's lawnmower and came over to cut the grass was some huge foreshadowing no one picked up on. That was before they visited the school and met Errol for the first time, right?
Before we saw Errol watching tv, we saw Marty watching TV. Could be a connection.
Old 03-14-14, 07:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Before we saw Errol watching tv, we saw Marty watching TV. Could be a connection.
Old 03-15-14, 07:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lt Ripley
Trust medical professionals, not movies.
Well, my medical professional says that both Rust & Marty are prime candidates for liver transplants, so there!
Old 03-15-14, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Neil M.
Are you kidding me? Errol lifting him a foot off the ground with a knife in one hand and a hatchet in the other and keeping him in the air while being headbutted three times is probably the most ridiculous thing in the entire series.

Negative. You need to rewatch the finale.

The "aaaaha" moment was so painful I was waiting for either MM or WH to bust out laughing. It was only missing Frank Drebin face.
Old 03-15-14, 03:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Well, my medical professional says that both Rust & Marty are prime candidates for liver transplants, so there!
All that darn drinkin', and all the other fun stuff Rusty used!
Old 03-20-14, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Apparently they're still courting Brad Pitt for season 2 of the show.
Old 03-20-14, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Apparently they're still courting Brad Pitt for season 2 of the show.
Only if Morgan Freeman is his partner. I hear he'll be around.
Old 03-24-14, 06:15 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Zd6nx-KnTwo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-25-14, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

HBO is submitting the series as a drama (as opposed to a miniseries) for this fall's Emmy Awards:

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/true...ys-1201146631/
Old 03-25-14, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Zd6nx-KnTwo?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
there are many different ways people can use this
Old 03-25-14, 09:38 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
there are many different ways people can use this
I'm waiting for Marty Hart watching the Downfall remix where Hitler is told that the Yellow King is just the maintenance man and none of Tuttles get punished.
Old 03-25-14, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 76 Posts

omg... I can't even dream of hbo being able to land both freeman and pitt. That would blow my mind... lol
Old 03-26-14, 09:12 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
HBO is submitting the series as a drama (as opposed to a miniseries) for this fall's Emmy Awards:

http://variety.com/2014/tv/news/true...ys-1201146631/
Interesting. Displays confidence (rightfully so). Sounds like it frees up a slot for an upcoming mini-series they have high hopes for. I'm sure the HBO brass is dreaming of a sweep.
Old 03-26-14, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

So it'll be True Detective vs Breaking Bad for Best Drama. That's a good year right there

Now watch Good Wife swoop in and take it.
Old 03-26-14, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

I really liked this show, but I can't get on board with 'one of the greatest shows ever' side. I guess I'm in the minority because most people on social media seem to feel that way, but I just cant go that far. Still an enjoyable 8 episodes!
Old 03-26-14, 03:52 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just marathoned this over the last 2 days. Whenever I marathon a show, I have vivid dreams relating to it. Needless to say, I didn't sleep well last night.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.