TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC renews Heroes for 5th season coming in 2015 - Heroes Reborn

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-14, 05:35 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 407 Likes on 255 Posts
Re: NBC renews Heroes for 5th season coming in 2015 - Heroes Reborn

the only person I really DON'T want to see in this, is the one person I fear WILL be in this, because he's a one trick fucking pony, and that's Hiro.
Old 04-18-14, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,121 Likes on 1,632 Posts

Originally Posted by MikahC
I hope there is no mention whatsoever of time travel. Just pretend it doesn't exist and never did. Hiro was a great character until time travel. Even Peter was a good character until he gained the ability to time travel. It's too difficult for TV writers to keep straight on their demanding schedule, so just don't go there.
Time traveling ninja Hiro was a mainstay from really early on, though, wasn't he?
Old 04-18-14, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 938 Likes on 661 Posts

No, in season one he could only freeze time. Season 2 is when they decided to give everyone a second power.
Old 04-18-14, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM
the only person I really DON'T want to see in this, is the one person I fear WILL be in this, because he's a one trick fucking pony, and that's Hiro.
How so?

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
No, in season one he could only freeze time. Season 2 is when they decided to give everyone a second power.
Hiro had all of his powers in season one.
Old 04-18-14, 08:43 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 407 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
How so?
I meant the actor.
Old 04-18-14, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,281 Posts

He could slow/freeze time, teleport, and time travel in the first season. The problem is that he was so insanely overpowered. The only way to keep him on the show and have any plot credibly work is depowering or mindwiping, a well Heroes kept going back to over and over and over and over. Same problem with Peter, although the one-power-at-a-time solution was a pretty good way of dealing with that.
Old 04-18-14, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Time traveling ninja Hiro was a mainstay from really early on, though, wasn't he?
I don't have a photographic memory of the situation, but I remember really liking Hiro in the beginning. He was the geek everyman. Everyone who'd ever read comics for any length of time could see some of themselves in Hiro. We initially got to see his discovery story. We got to see him think he could do something without knowing he could do it. Why did he think it could? Who knows? But he kept trying. And then... he did. What a feeling of elation that'd be. He froze time. Or at least slowed it down an awful lot (the really fast girl episode implied he slowed it, not stopped it).

I remember him teleporting as well. Now granted, it was fairly early on when Future Hiro came back on the train (I'm doing my best to describe this stuff from memory). THAT may have been fairly early on, but it was of no real consequence other than we had his warnings hanging out there. OUR Hiro wasn't time jumping. But whenever that occurred was indeed the beginning of Hiro going off the rails. But Hiro as a character didn't fully come off the tracks for me until OUR Hiro started jumping.

Anyway, of course opinions vary. But I really liked the first season of Heroes and I will be watching this reboot to at least see what the do. Maybe they learned something about how to make this work.
Old 04-19-14, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
He could slow/freeze time, teleport, and time travel in the first season.
Time travel or teleport? My memory is fuzzy, but I thought the first time he actually time travelled was in season 2 when he ended up in feudal Japan.

Like mikah said, we had 'future Hiro' but did 'our' Hiro time travel in season 1?

*edit - wait, he traveled back in time for Charlie (Jayma Mays). Was that was season 1?
Funny how 3 terrible seasons can basically erase the entire series from memory.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 04-19-14 at 07:39 AM.
Old 04-19-14, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,946 Likes on 1,281 Posts

*edit - wait, he traveled back in time for Charlie (Jayma Mays). Was that was season 1?
Yeah.
Old 04-19-14, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hiro was great. In the first season.

Like the show.
Old 04-19-14, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Time travel or teleport? My memory is fuzzy, but I thought the first time he actually time travelled was in season 2 when he ended up in feudal Japan.
It teleported to Future New York (rather quicky) by a few months and that's how he found out about the huge explosion.
Old 04-19-14, 03:57 PM
ATX

i watch the worst show on tv currently since Mork and Mindy called "Crisis"

also watched NBC classics like "The Event" all the way thru

all the railing on Heroes shows people have a short memory

Heroes wasnt terrible like people make it out to be... it suffered from some writing issues in the later seasons but that shit happens all the time...the show had mystery, cool music, and a cool villian

better then alot of the bullshit on tv now

perspective
Old 04-19-14, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nope. Season 2 was the writers strike and started out with the twins in Mexico and Hiro in Japan. That was terrible. Season 3 I don't remember and 4 with the carnival was abysmal.

@ Better than most shows on. It was a guilty pleasure but barely a step above reality tv in terms of quality. It was 4 years of good vs bad where no one ever fought each other.
Old 04-19-14, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 864 Likes on 725 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX

Heroes wasnt terrible like people make it out to be... it suffered from some writing issues in the later seasons but that shit happens all the time...the show had mystery, cool music, and a cool villian

perspective
True, but Crisis was never a good show for even one episode. Heroes inexplicably went from Lost-quality writing and characterization one season, to throwing everything against the wall and seeing what sticks.
Old 04-19-14, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 177 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX

perspective
I have no doubt there are/were much worse shows, but Heroes was one of the worst shows I ever actually kept watching for more than a few episodes, mostly because the wife seemed to enjoy it for the first two seasons. I will say that Under the Dome has since taken over the top spot of that category of my personal library. But at least Under the Dome provides loads of unintentional humor. The threads for the show are full of universal and entertaining ridicule, spiked with a dose of amazement that such pure awfulness is actually broadcast on network TV. If I recall correctly the Heroes threads were mostly full of pissed off fans.
Old 04-19-14, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Forgot all about Under the Dome. What a fucking terrible show. If it was on in the fall instead of during the doldrums of summer, it would have been canceled by episode 4. How it managed a second season I just don't get.
Old 04-19-14, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 200 Likes on 162 Posts

Nope. Season 2 was the writers strike and started out with the twins in Mexico and Hiro in Japan. That was terrible. Season 3 I don't remember and 4 with the carnival was abysmal.
Season 3 is where they were lucky enough to get Robert Forster to come in and play Arthur Petrelli and then completely and totally wasted him. Oh and Sylar switched between good and evil like 20 times.
Old 04-19-14, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Season 3 is where they were lucky enough to get Robert Forster to come in and play Arthur Petrelli and then completely and totally wasted him. Oh and Sylar switched between good and evil like 20 times.
They should have just stuck with what they wanted to do with him instead of flip flopping. When they said it was not something he could control.........okay..........then it goes back to crazy........then not............then.................stop it!
Old 04-20-14, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Ahh, yes. Goody Sylar, bad Sylar. It was basically a sitcom for a season it was so laughably bad.
Old 04-20-14, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That to this day is what I remember most about that show. I actually thought the second season was OK but you could tell by season 3 they had no idea what the hell they were doing. Come to think of it, outside of "Save the cheerleader" I couldn't tell you anything that happened in any other season.
Old 04-20-14, 12:44 PM
ATX

ahaha

lmao @ the "carnival" comment

yeah who could forget t-bag as a "hero"

there was also a gem of a story arc with a deaf chick and a magic violin or something

those are some of the writing issues i was speaking of

oh shit, i forgot about under the dome yeah that was the worst series until crisis came along

i guess you got a point about heroes "starting off good" something crisis never did haha

i'm a weirdo though, i tell you i liked that short season of heroes, i buss out the bluray from time to time...it was actually a blessing because on the dics they show the direction the were originally going and i was thankful for the abbreviated season because that other direction was even more terrible than what we ended up with
Old 04-20-14, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX

yeah who could forget t-bag as a "hero"
Am I forgetting something about the final season? Wasn't he pure villain? Was there any pretense?
Old 04-20-14, 08:13 PM

Season one was, by far, the best in the series. However, I still thought that all of them were good. Yeah, certain things could've been a little different, but that's with any show. I just want to say, as an observation, not an argument, but anyone who says they hated the show but watched it for some unknown reason, obviously had something they liked about the show. Even though they want to talk bad about a show simply because everyone else is. I'm just saying, there's nothing wrong with admitting that you liked a show that you actually like. Again, I'm just saying.
Old 04-20-14, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by silverdragonfly
Season one was, by far, the best in the series. However, I still thought that all of them were good. Yeah, certain things could've been a little different, but that's with any show. I just want to say, as an observation, not an argument, but anyone who says they hated the show but watched it for some unknown reason, obviously had something they liked about the show. Even though they want to talk bad about a show simply because everyone else is. I'm just saying, there's nothing wrong with admitting that you liked a show that you actually like. Again, I'm just saying.
It's not that at all. Maybe for some, but I'd argue the following was true for most: season one was so good and showed so much promise that everyone stuck around. Season 2 was short, so it kinda got a pass at the time. Once we we midway through season 3 it was clear the show was off the rails bad and was never gonna recover. At that point you finish out the season anyway and still linger to that long lost hope that maybe, just maybe season 4 could capture that season 1 magic. IIRC they brought back some season one writers which helped keep that hope alive. Alas, our hope was misplaced and our grand finale was two bad ass superheroes pushing dirt back and forth. Dirt. Seriously. Dirt. It was fucking dumb.

FWIW, the deaf violin plot was the lone bright spot of season 4 for me. It was a unique story about someone discovering their power. It was very reminiscent of season 1.
Old 04-20-14, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I find it odd that someone created a dvdtalk account to stick up for a show as bad as Heroes. Sure...season one was good, but I would never create an account on dvdtalk with the purpose of justifying seasons 2-4.

At least with a new cast the budget can focussed on writing, directing, and special effects......instead of paying for an over bloated cast. Remember when Sylar fought Peter and Nathan behind closed doors? Man that show made me mad at its wasted potential, and a lot of the characters ended up annoying me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.