Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Family Guy (FOX) -- Discussion Thread [merged]

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to have to rewatch this to get some of the references - good thing I have it DVR'd.
Old 09-25-07, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
I liked this episode a lot. Some really funny bit that stood out for me...

- The "Bush/Cheney" bumper sticker on the Star Destroyer at the beginning

- Peter/Han "de duh da da da"-ing the Star Wars music when manning the Falcon's guns against the TIE fighters

- Peter/Han's "Great kid - don't get Penis-y!"

- Darth Stewie's whole conference room scene about the 2-meter exhaust port

- Peter/Han's "I'm Han Solo, captain of the Millennium Falcon and the only actor who's career isn't destroyed by this movie."

- The "Tom Baker" Doctor Who reference

- The used couch installed in the Millennium Falcon's cockpit at the end

I thought it was interesting that they stuck more to the original Star Wars instead of the Special Edition (i.e. Han shoots first, no explosive rings from Alderaan or the Death Star, etc.). Also interesting that they skipped the final medal ceremony scene - probably because "Family Guy" spoofed that scene already in an earlier episode.
Old 09-25-07, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
I don't watch Family Guy, but I caught this one on YouTube (in 6 parts!) and thought it was HILARIOUS. Very well done. Like lordwow said, some of the scenes were animated so well, I wondered if they had intermingled video of the actual movies in with the animation. Of course, I was watching it in a box the width and height of a deck of cards, so it was hard to tell. :P
Old 09-25-07, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 174 Likes on 122 Posts
Golf Intro

"And Nicholson here trying to save par. And there's Nicholson's wife! God is she hot."

"Look at that rack; there's a downhill lie for you."

"Argh! They're just out there begging to be touched, pleading... how many golf balls do you think she can fit in her mouth?"

"I'd hit that one in the rough if you know what I'm saying?"

"Who are you kidding Greg? You'd (beep) her for a week and then get tired of her."

"Yeah, you're right. That's what I do, that's my thing... be a hell of a week though."

"Hell of a week."
Old 09-26-07, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Did anyone else notice that this was a remake of the 1977 original theatrical version and not the 2004 special edition?

You had Han shooting first, original explosions, and the original lightsabers!
Old 09-26-07, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
I have mixed feelings about this episode. The animation was good and some parts were really funny....But, I didn't like that they just ripped off Star Wars' plot entirely without putting any new spin on it....Plus it felt long at 1 hour. The "Time of my life" skit was fucking lame and creepy. If there is anything that I really hate about this show is that creepy old man who's obsessed with Chris.
Old 09-26-07, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by CreatureX
I would love for them to do Empire next season!
That's what I was thinking yesterday. Do the whole trilogy for season openers.
Old 09-26-07, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by emachine12
Did anyone else notice that this was a remake of the 1977 original theatrical version and not the 2004 special edition?
I'd say it was much more a combination of the two. I noticed plenty of shots from the 1997 SE edition: the Falcon leaving Mos Eisley, X-wing shot approaching the Death Star, dewbacks, etc.
Old 09-26-07, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,034 Posts
Great episode. It was clear to me this was done by true fans of the film, and not just out to make fun of Star Wars. (see the Simpsons episode "Cosmic Wars").

FG has really had some "off" episodes since their resurrection, but this shows they can really be funny if they set their minds to it.
Old 09-26-07, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Wade Kainer
I saw Bender from Futurama, and as mentioned, Roger from American Dad and the Evil Monkey. I don't know who the last two were sitting with...looked like Dr. Orpheus' daughter from Venture Brothers.

Judging from the collar, I think that's supposed to be one of these chicks:

That's the Mistryl Shadow Guard warriors Shada D'ukal and Karoly D'ulin, masquerading as Brea and Senni Tonnika, duh.

The episode had some good gags - Danny Elfman launching into his standard oom-pah crap and having his capa detated was awesome - but lots of dead space with no laughs, too.
Old 09-26-07, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya
I have mixed feelings about this episode. The animation was good and some parts were really funny....But, I didn't like that they just ripped off Star Wars' plot entirely without putting any new spin on it....Plus it felt long at 1 hour. The "Time of my life" skit was fucking lame and creepy. If there is anything that I really hate about this show is that creepy old man who's obsessed with Chris.
There wasn't supposed to be any new spin on it... it was Peter telling the "Story of Star Wars". It was an homage, not a spoof or parody.
Old 09-28-07, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
Overall, I thought this was a really funny episode. It's definitely one of the best post-cancellation ones.

At least the FG haters can't bitch about a reliance on "Remember when..."/"It's like the time..." cutaways in this episode.
Old 09-28-07, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I loved it.....I liked at the very end about the Robot Chicken discussion, that was pretty good.
Old 09-30-07, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts
Family Guy -- "Movin' Out (Brian's Song)" -- 09/30/07

"Movin' Out (Brian's Song)"
Spoiler:
Peter convinces Brian to move in with Jillian. Stewie moves in with them as well to help pay the rent, but he tries to interfere with Brian and Jillian's relationship by throwing Brian a drinking party. Meanwhile, Meg and Chris get jobs at the local convenience store. While Chris and the manager, Carl, talk about their favorite movies, Meg is stuck with all the hard work. She eventually stands up for herself and as a result, gets fired.

First Aired: Sunday September 30, 2007
Old 09-30-07, 09:21 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
This episode was really dissapointing- Hopefully next weeks will be better
Old 09-30-07, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
looks like that creepy old man Herbert is gonna be in every episode. He's one of my favorites characters.
Old 09-30-07, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Was the audio off for portions of this? There was the segment where Brian was making out with his girlfriend and yelling directions to Stewie, but I didn't hear any of Stewie's responses. Then, during the founding fathers bit it seemed like Ben Franklin was supossed to have some dialogue, but I didn't hear his responses either.

My girlfriend also didn't hear the lines, so it's not that I need a hearing aid.
Old 09-30-07, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I heard all those lines so something must have been wrong with your audio. I like Chris in small doses. He was terrible in this episode.
Old 09-30-07, 11:40 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Peter on the other end of the line when Meg was the phone sex operator was good

I hope we never see Carl again
Old 10-01-07, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes...Carl sucks!
Old 10-01-07, 08:06 AM

Baseball player with no arms.

"The last time the got a hit was in never."
Old 10-01-07, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
Peter on the other end of the line when Meg was the phone sex operator was good

I hope we never see Carl again

But it was nice hearing Ben from Dr. Katz!
Old 10-01-07, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I heard all those lines so something must have been wrong with your audio. I like Chris in small doses. He was terrible in this episode.
Awww, give him a break, he never had to learn this much dialogue before!
Old 10-01-07, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dgmayor
But it was nice hearing Ben from Dr. Katz!
The first thing I always think of when I hear his voice is Coach McGuirk from Home Movies!

Anyway, not a great episode. A few chuckles here and there.
Old 10-01-07, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Was the audio off for portions of this? There was the segment where Brian was making out with his girlfriend and yelling directions to Stewie, but I didn't hear any of Stewie's responses. Then, during the founding fathers bit it seemed like Ben Franklin was supossed to have some dialogue, but I didn't hear his responses either.

My girlfriend also didn't hear the lines, so it's not that I need a hearing aid.
I could barely hear Stewie and did not hear Ben at all. I was thinking that it was a joke that dogs have good hearing but I guess not. In both of the instances the dialog was coming from voices off screen, I guess they used a different channel. I have regular cable and I have been having issues with sound going out completely for some channels so I did some troubleshooting and changed my VCR sound from SAP to Stero that that solved the channel sound problems but may have added issues like the Stewie/Ben audible problems.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.