Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead -- "Infected" -- 10/20/13

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-13, 09:20 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead -- "Infected" -- 10/20/13

Who could "the mole" possibly be? It's a HUGE mystery, especially since only two new characters have been given significant screen time, and only one is still alive.
Old 10-21-13, 09:41 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think they were having people go down to the fence every day to kill zombies, but the zeds have started coming in larger numbers and more often. In show time Carol only noted the problem to Darryl the previous day. I'm assuming for the months prior to this they were keeping up with it fine.
Old 10-21-13, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The problem there is that whomever put the rat through the fence could reach high enough to feed it directly into the walker's mouth...so unless she's down there with a ladder, the little girl is a red herring. I suspect it's someone on the inside working for the Governor (perhaps...but not necessarily...the same person burning the bodies).
Or maybe it is the governor himself. The show plays pretty loose with logistics so I can see them just letting the viewer accept that he got inside the compound somehow. The man has got to be insane with revenge at this point.

The scene with the little girls and their dying dad was so messed up. Why the hell did Carol let them stay and watch him die and then almost insist that they finish him off with the knife? Have they all become this insensitive to killing their loved ones?
Old 10-21-13, 10:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wonder if Rick burned the bodies. With Scott Gimple liking foreshadowing, the scene of Rick burning the pin could be showing what he does later with the bodies. At first I thought that the scene was only there for Carl to get his gun back but the more I think about it I am thinking Rick did it. I am now done thinking about it.
As far as the fence clearing. Carol has mentioned that they have cleared them out during the day but then just build up againovernight. My guess is the way they have been handling it has worked up until recently. Could be one of the new folks they brought in after Woodbury. Would make sense why they think killing several zombies at the fence will work each day.
Old 10-21-13, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DirkUSA
The bodies would pile up rather quick this way. Creating another problem.
Stack them up by what looks to be the main route in to the jail from that road, won't that mask the scent of anything coming from the jail? The two Zombies that Michonne had worked well for her. They could also make a wall of dead walkers in the forest to do the same thing.

Spoiler:
Just thinking out loud, definitely don't want those 7500 zombies from next weeks preview stumbling on the jail!

Mod note: again (second time in this thread), please put comments about next week's preview in tags.

Last edited by Groucho; 10-21-13 at 10:59 AM. Reason: tagged spoiler
Old 10-21-13, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Flatlander
the scene of Rick burning the pin
Old 10-21-13, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 950 Likes on 724 Posts

Man, you guys are impossible to please. Last week, the complaint was too many scenes of people just plugging zombies through the fence, and this week it's "why aren't they just killing zombies through the fence all the time?"

I think the reason for them not to keep killing zombies is threefold. One, it's BORING. Create an episode where the only thing we see is them stabbing zombies through the fence. No dialogue, no story, just zombie killing for 42 minutes plus commercials. Yeah, people wouldn't complain about that.
Two (and less tongue-in-cheek), I believe that the show's mythology tells us that attacking zombies creates a commotion that only attracts more of them.
Three, the logistics of all the zombie corpses (is that a redundancy?) that would pile up. I believe they feel they're better off with just a handful of live zombies (oxymoron?) outside the fence than a metric ton of zombie bodies to dispose of.

As far as using the pigs to lure them rather than just mowing them down Dead Alive-style, the immediate concern was keeping the fence intact. Luring them away from it was the first thing to do, so that little plot point made pretty good sense. My only plot-related complaint about this episode was why they let ANYONE (especially kids!) anywhere NEAR the fence if their presence attracts the zombies.

Finally, did anyone think they were recalling Romero's Day of the Dead a bit when the zombie inside the prison leaned up and its guts fell onto the floor?
Old 10-21-13, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,303 Likes on 947 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Finally, did anyone think they were recalling Romero's Day of the Dead a bit when the zombie inside the prison leaned up and its guts fell onto the floor?
On The Talking Dead, Nicotero said it was a homage to the scene in DotD. They just piled on some guts and had the actor lean over. They liked the scene so much they kept it in, so sounded like it wasn't originally in the script.

Man, you guys are impossible to please. Last week, the complaint was too many scenes of people just plugging zombies through the fence, and this week it's "why aren't they just killing zombies through the fence all the time?"
Apples and oranges. Doing the killing through the fence is fine. They just don't have to show it so much. I think that was the complaint.
Old 10-21-13, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
The scene with the little girls and their dying dad was so messed up. Why the hell did Carol let them stay and watch him die and then almost insist that they finish him off with the knife? Have they all become this insensitive to killing their loved ones?
I think they are acknowledging that they are not in "our" world anymore. Plus, Carol lost her child to zombies. I don't think she is going to ever let a kid go out defenseless again, and taking care of people who have been bitten is a part of this world.

Like with Carl, I'd rather have a kid next to me who knew how to use a gun than one who lost their shit and I had to actively protect in addition to myself. Again, different world now.
Old 10-21-13, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I think the reason for them not to keep killing zombies is threefold. One, it's BORING. Create an episode where the only thing we see is them stabbing zombies through the fence. No dialogue, no story, just zombie killing for 42 minutes plus commercials. Yeah, people wouldn't complain about that.
Two (and less tongue-in-cheek), I believe that the show's mythology tells us that attacking zombies creates a commotion that only attracts more of them.
Three, the logistics of all the zombie corpses (is that a redundancy?) that would pile up. I believe they feel they're better off with just a handful of live zombies (oxymoron?) outside the fence than a metric ton of zombie bodies to dispose of.

As far as using the pigs to lure them rather than just mowing them down Dead Alive-style, the immediate concern was keeping the fence intact. Luring them away from it was the first thing to do, so that little plot point made pretty good sense. My only plot-related complaint about this episode was why they let ANYONE (especially kids!) anywhere NEAR the fence if their presence attracts the zombies.

No one says they want to see people killing zombies at the fence all day. Obviously the show doesn't have to JUST show that to tell the audience they're doing it.

Still, even if there is a pile up of zombies it seems like they've been clearing them out some way or another during their stay there, so I imagine they could do body cleanup. I do wonder if they had to use the pigs though; seems like zombies mindlessly chase any live human and racket; wouldn't they follow anyone in the truck and not just pig blood if they wanted to draw people away?
Old 10-21-13, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good episode. I wondered about the piling up bodies too... I just assumed that they dragged them off and burned them every so often. Otherwise the stench would just be too awful after a week of doing that. Just considered it a day-to-day task that didn't need to be shown.

Regarding the girls (bit of comic book spoiler-talk, remember to hide responses):

Spoiler:
I think they'll do the twins story-line with them and it looks like Carol will replace Carl's role in it.

So we got a doctor, an army medic, and a vet in the group. At least they finally got some decent medical care going for them.

So is the Army medic the first pick for who burned the bodies?

I was thinking a fairly simple solution would be to sleep in the cells with the doors closed. Keeps everyone safe, and traps the zombies.
Old 10-21-13, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

I was just wondering why he had guts to begin with since that zombie nerd kid was feasting and digging around in that guy's chest cavity.
Old 10-21-13, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo
I was just wondering why he had guts to begin with since that zombie nerd kid was feasting and digging around in that guy's chest cavity.
On The Talking Dead, Chris asked Nicotero why zombies stop eating humans when there is so much more meat. Greg said once the human turns, the zombie is no longer interested. They want meat that's still alive.
Old 10-21-13, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

He had both hands in that guy's chest cavity, pulling out entrails, no way should there have been all those guts to spill out after he turned. And if that was the case, why did the one zombie that found dead Lori pig out on her?
Old 10-21-13, 01:22 PM
Cool New Member

Re: the sleeping with the cell doors open.

I asked a guy that I know who is a guard at a medium security prison. He said that nearly all prisons, old and new, do not have keys for each cell for security purposes. That prevents prisoners from trying to pick the locks at night and also protects the guards, none of whom want to be part of a crew that goes around and manually lock and unlock each cell door. He also said that prison policy is to minimize guard and prisoner contact to prevent hostage situations and to prevent guards from giving contraband to the prisoners.

Instead, he said that most prisons usually have an electronic locking mechanism for the cells on each block that locks/unlocks all of the cell doors at once. For the older prisons, it's a manual locking system, but all the cell doors lock at the same time once the system is engaged. For these systems, each cell door is generally programmed to lock automatically if a prisoner wishes to lock himself in for whatever reason.

After hearing this, I can understand why they slept with the cell doors open. A bike chain and lock wouldn't even work either because if they closed the door, they would be locked in regardless.
Old 10-21-13, 01:25 PM

Except one guy was sleeping with the door closed.
Old 10-21-13, 01:29 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by Groucho
Except one guy was sleeping with the door closed.
They mentioned he had a sleep walking habit so he chose to lock himself in at night. Good thing he did that because he was locked in after he died in his sleep and turned.
Old 10-21-13, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo
He had both hands in that guy's chest cavity, pulling out entrails, no way should there have been all those guts to spill out after he turned. And if that was the case, why did the one zombie that found dead Lori pig out on her?
Don't kill the messenger
Old 10-21-13, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

13.9M viewers for episode 2. Understandably down, especially since there was a huge football game on NBC last night that took up most of the ratings.
Old 10-21-13, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

When Rick sees the dead rats piled by the fence it looks like they are on the inside of the fence. It would have to be somebody on the outside of the prison pushing them through.
Old 10-21-13, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
When Rick sees the dead rats piled by the fence it looks like they are on the inside of the fence. It would have to be somebody on the outside of the prison pushing them through.
Why? Person on inside of fence holds rat up...zombie chews on it for a bit...person drops it on the ground. In fact, we saw this happen (except for the dropping part).
Old 10-21-13, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The opening scene shows a flashlight shining through the fence at the face of a zombie. The person would have to be inside the fence. They are probably letting the zombie eat half the rat then dropping it in the ground, inside the fence.

Edit: Draven beat me.
Old 10-21-13, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by TomOpus
The opening scene shows a flashlight shining through the fence at the face of a zombie. The person would have to be inside the fence. They are probably letting the zombie eat half the rat then dropping it in the ground, inside the fence.

Edit: Draven beat me.
Draven should not beat you or anyone else. There is to be no beatings on this forum.

You have been warned Draven.
Old 10-21-13, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by MScottM
Draven should not beat you or anyone else. There is to be no beatings on this forum.

You have been warned Draven.
It's okay. They have a safe word.
Old 10-21-13, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

IIRC

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.