The Walking Dead -- "Infected" -- 10/20/13

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 10-20-13, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,550 Likes on 2,542 Posts

Synopsis:

As the group faces a brand new enemy, Rick and the others must fight to protect the livelihood they worked so hard to create at the prison.

Written by: Angela Kang
Directed by: Guy Ferland

Episode 2 of 16
Old 10-20-13, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead -- "Infected" -- 10/20/13

I've never seen so many different previews on AMC in a given week for a single episode. I have a feeling shit hits the fan tonight.
Old 10-20-13, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

MTV is on crack if they think TWD will kill Darryl off this episode.
Old 10-20-13, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chowderhead
MTV is on crack if they think TWD will kill Darryl off this episode.
Yea, I just can't see them killing him now with the ratings they are getting. Very risky. That plus they sort of hinted at a ongoing storyline with Beth last week.
Old 10-20-13, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only way Darryl dies if he gets a spinoff as a zombie just killing everyone taking over the world.
Old 10-20-13, 09:31 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Tough crowd tonight, eh?
Old 10-20-13, 10:19 PM
Banned

Those poor pigs.
Old 10-20-13, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, had a hard time with that part. My wife definitely didn't like it.
Old 10-20-13, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Pretty good episode even though it really didn't advance anything
Old 10-20-13, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Everything kind of happened as predicted from last week, the zombie pushing through the fence and cutting his face was pretty cool. Season is starting a little slow for me, but glad to see some fat trimmed with all the people in the prison.

The pigs was definitely sad and tough to watch.
Old 10-20-13, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why don't the stupid fuckers just go outside the gates and kill the zombies out there? It would be much faster and easier to take them out in open ground and it would take the stress off the fence. Rick's plan was just fucking stupid as was their plan at that store. They should be exterminating every one they see not just moving them around.
Old 10-20-13, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I also didn't get why they didn't have people killing zombies at the fence all day, what with all the adults they brought in that could do it. I know they were being attracted by the rats, but it really doesn't make sense that there were more then they could kill along the fence to me.
Old 10-20-13, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by sven
Why don't the stupid fuckers just go outside the gates and kill the zombies out there? It would be much faster and easier to take them out in open ground and it would take the stress off the fence. Rick's plan was just fucking stupid as was their plan at that store. They should be exterminating every one they see not just moving them around.
What? On the open ground you can easily get swarmed. At the fence the fucking kids can help if they have to.

And they are killing a lot of them. The problem is more are coming all the time and someone in the prison is drawing them to specific parts of the fence.

Not sure I get the "not much happened" critiques. Between the infection, Rick getting his gun out again, Tyrese losing his lady (to the "mole" in the prison), Carol basically getting her "kids" back, and a few other things, I'd say quite a bit happened.
Old 10-20-13, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

Spoiler:
The only thing I didn't like about this episode was the preview for Tyrese in the next episode. I'm glad his balls will finally drop but dismayed that they're using the tired "I will the kill the person who killed my woman" plot device. That's almost as overused a plot device as amnesia.

Mod Note: Please put discussion of future episodes, including previews, in spoiler tags.

Last edited by Groucho; 10-21-13 at 08:40 AM. Reason: tagged spoilers
Old 10-21-13, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
What? On the open ground you can easily get swarmed. At the fence the fucking kids can help if they have to.
The walkers are so damned slow it would be pretty hard to get swarmed unless you are just completely and utterly inept physically. With that much open space it would be hard for 60 able bodied people to catch me. This would be more like trying to keep away from 60 extra stupid 4 year olds.

And they are killing a lot of them. The problem is more are coming all the time and someone in the prison is drawing them to specific parts of the fence.
No the problem is their stupid fence method is way too slow. 6 people could have cleared out that entire bunch in an hour instead of standing there all day waiting for each one to stick it's face up to the fence only to kill 1/3 of the pack.

Last edited by sven; 10-21-13 at 12:14 AM.
Old 10-21-13, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Oh my, totally forgot Carol had kids. Good point about that. And season, to me, is kind of picking up. It's only 2 episodes and Carl already has his gun back and the relationship with his father is repaired. Wondering what happened to Carol and Daryl though. Wonder who burned the bodies and feeding the zombies rats, though. And for everyone crying about the pigs last episode, well you got the answer. It was tough to watch as others have said, though.

45 people were in the prison at the start (thank you Talking Dead) and about 14 are dead.
Old 10-21-13, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,607 Likes on 1,006 Posts

It would be pretty hard to get swarmed unless you are just completely and utterly inept physically. With that much open space it would be hard for 60 able bodied people to catch me. This would be more like trying to keep away from 60 extra stupid 4 year olds.
A location where they will line up and stand there when you jab them in the head versus running around a field trying to clear them out before one comes up behind you? Good luck with your method.

No the problem is their stupid fence method is way too slow. 6 people could have cleared out that entire bunch in an hour instead standing there all day waiting for each one to stick it's face up to the fence.
I believe the point is that they DO clear them out, and then a bunch more come back to the same location.

This is not a great example but I did a "zombie run" 5K a few years back and one of the things we did was run across a wide open field where about 50 "zombies" were trying to catch us. We didn't all make it across without getting tagged and it was extremely tiring trying to constantly dodge everyone. But hey, have fun running all over a field for an afternoon.
Old 10-21-13, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Did anybody else catch next weeks preview at the end of Talking Dead?
Old 10-21-13, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

No the problem is their stupid fence method is way too slow. 6 people could have cleared out that entire bunch in an hour instead of standing there all day waiting for each one to stick it's face up to the fence only to kill 1/3 of the pack.
The fence method would easily be enough, but it is failing on the show in order to manufacture some drama. A small group of people could easily kill enough walkers to keep things in order. Whether or not another method might be better is irrelevant, because the writers want you to ignore the fact that in reality, it would be really easy to keep the fences from being overburdened.
Old 10-21-13, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by ddrknghtrtns
Did anybody else catch next weeks preview at the end of Talking Dead?
Hell yeah, can't wait to see where they go with it.
Old 10-21-13, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure I get the "not much happened" critiques.
I agree. A lot happened in this episode to set up various characters for the rest of the season. The only way you'd think nothing happened is if you weren't paying attention.
  • Carol is being secretive and manipulative, and taking an extra-aggressive stance to protecting the people in the prison. This isn't going to end well.
  • Tyrese has been given a reason to take a more active role.
  • We now know Michonne had a baby.
  • The little girl (Lizzy?) is being set up as a sociopath. She was more concerned with the death of the walker, Nick, than her own father.
  • Someone inside the prison is drawing the walkers to the fence by feeding them.
  • We're reminded that there were plenty of things in the world that killed people before modern advances in medicine. Now that things like clean drinking water are a thing of the past, those old diseases have returned as a threat on top of the zombie apocalypse.
  • Rick has to go into a cell full of infected children and kill them, which leads to him strapping on his gun again and giving Carl his gun back. I'd say his post-Lori pacifism is over with.

That's off the top of my head.
Old 10-21-13, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,014 Likes on 721 Posts

My nitpick for the episode is why the hell would Rick use gas to start his fire? And to top it off, they show the piles of hay in the background. What an idiotic waste of a resource.
Old 10-21-13, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, don't get the "not much happened" complaint either. I found this episode to be pretty dense.

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
The fence method would easily be enough, but it is failing on the show in order to manufacture some drama. A small group of people could easily kill enough walkers to keep things in order. Whether or not another method might be better is irrelevant, because the writers want you to ignore the fact that in reality, it would be really easy to keep the fences from being overburdened.
Yup. I'm cool as long as the characters don't do things that are completely asinine, and I don't think they have this season. Also, it is easy to talk about how it would be fine to go out in the field to take out some zombies from the comfort of your lazy boy (I'm guilty of this too, not judging), but I think if in this actual situation the idea of staying safe behind the fence would be preferred. The only nitpick I would give the fence scenario is that the patrol could be bigger. There are a lot of people in the prison, so you could have more people working the fence. That would spread the zombies out a bit as well. But I fully admit this is nitpicking.
Old 10-21-13, 12:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by andicus
My nitpick for the episode is why the hell would Rick use gas to start his fire? And to top it off, they show the piles of hay in the background. What an idiotic waste of a resource.
Didn't even think about this, but good point. But it seems like the crew doesn't cherish resources like they once did. I'm not sure how the water rationing works, but the one woman got some water just to splash on her face.

Did the show establish that they have a replenishable fresh water source or something? Not that it really matters, I'm just curious. Also, I would be hella nervous about drinking from a fresh water stream because you never know what's dead in it upstream. Everything would get boiled if that option was there.
Old 10-21-13, 12:55 AM
Banned

Please tell me you're joking. What you just suggested is too stupid for words.

"Hey yeah, why don't they just go get swarmed by zombies instead of stabbing them through a fence!?"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.