Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part II

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-13, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts
Re: Shark Tank (ABC) -- Series Thread Part II

The sharks got a great deal on that Breathometer deal. The owner gave up too much equity to the sharks. That was a can't-miss deal with all the sharks involved and they looked like they were willing to go down to 25% equity. Even 25% was probably an overpay for their cash.
Old 09-29-13, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

The breathometer thing is a good idea. I hope that's successful.

Meanwhile I hope that Man Medals is a side business and not that guys primary source of income. That was awful.

The Mango thing was interesting. I suppose the food was really good with the way the Sharks were eating it. I'm surprised they didn't get an offer though. Those girls aren't very profitable right now but a Shark could have easily come in and helped cut down costs.
Old 10-04-13, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Man the cooking hat thing was atrocious. Robert seems all in this year. Red Dog probably hates that kid backpack, but that was pretty cool. Not sure I would buy one though.

The ramen thing was great. I think Mark was more interested in that guy than he was the product.
Old 10-05-13, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only recently discovered that Shark Tank is only one show in a long series of shows usually called Dragons' Den elsewhere. Lately I've been watching the UK and Canadian versions of DD, which thankfully can be found all over YouTube.

Check 'em out before copyright claims force them offline.
Old 10-05-13, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones
Man the cooking hat thing was atrocious. Robert seems all in this year. Red Dog probably hates that kid backpack, but that was pretty cool. Not sure I would buy one though.

The ramen thing was great. I think Mark was more interested in that guy than he was the product.
I also think he saw that Kevin and Robert were offering a total crap deal and wanted to bail him out. I absolutely hate the "I give you some money now, in return you pay me back for the rest of your life" offers. I think this was the first time a flat-out loan was offered which I'm a much bigger fan of.

Only annoyed that they kept cutting away to Cuban after he was already out, so you kinda knew ahead of time that he was coming back in and making the deal.
Old 10-05-13, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

I thought all the products sucked last night.
Old 10-05-13, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I thought that the Ramen bowl seemed like a dumb idea. It sells for $6. You're selling a $6 bowl to took ten cent noodles in? The whole idea behind Ramen noodles is they're dirt cheap.

That bowl seems like the kind of thing you'd see in a store for a three months, then they start showing up at Big Lots.
Old 10-05-13, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
I thought that the Ramen bowl seemed like a dumb idea. It sells for $6. You're selling a $6 bowl to took ten cent noodles in? The whole idea behind Ramen noodles is they're dirt cheap.

That bowl seems like the kind of thing you'd see in a store for a three months, then they start showing up at Big Lots.
yeah, but the idea is you save time and make them taste the same as the stovetop method.
Old 10-05-13, 09:37 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

I nuked ramen in a regular bowl without issue for 20 years. That product was dumb.

but not as dumb as the cooking hat.
Old 10-05-13, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM

but not as dumb as the cooking hat.
It's funny that those chicks work for major consulting firms. I've dealt with the Ernsts, Accentures, Deloittes a lot over the years, and the one thing I've learned is that it pays to be an attractive and bubbly woman. Those firms love to hire such women out of college and they rarely contribute anything of substance from what I've seen.
Old 10-05-13, 10:11 AM

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

What was up with Lori's face? Looks like she had a major Botox injection before the show.
Old 10-05-13, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by blairwitchfan
What was up with Lori's face? Looks like she had a major Botox injection before the show.
I heard she had major Botox injections before the show.
Old 10-05-13, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by blairwitchfan
she's looked like that all season so far. she's had some major work done to her face and i think her boobs.
Old 10-05-13, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by sydonesia
I also think he saw that Kevin and Robert were offering a total crap deal and wanted to bail him out. I absolutely hate the "I give you some money now, in return you pay me back for the rest of your life" offers. I think this was the first time a flat-out loan was offered which I'm a much bigger fan of.
Almost no one ever accepts the royalty deals on Shark Tank from Kevin. They are a huge drain on business if the product ever becomes successful.
Originally Posted by Red Dog
It's funny that those chicks work for major consulting firms. I've dealt with the Ernsts, Accentures, Deloittes a lot over the years, and the one thing I've learned is that it pays to be an attractive and bubbly woman. Those firms love to hire such women out of college and they rarely contribute anything of substance from what I've seen.
One said she was a collegiate recruiter for the firm, which made sense. Consulting firms love outgoing, good-looking women in those types of jobs.
Old 10-06-13, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Those Kooking Karp girls have definitely been in a threesome together.
Old 10-06-13, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Kooking Karp. What a stupid product. They were pretty bubbly and I'm sure they are great party girls, but the product made no sense. Barbara was right saying that if she cooked something, the chances of her putting on a hat like that are pretty much none.

I agree, I think Mark is more or less investing in the guy as a salesman instead of the Ramen cooker product.
Old 10-06-13, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Package the ramen cooker with 3 ramen packets
Sell for $9.99
Profit
Old 10-07-13, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You can also put that Ramen cooker on display at Bed Bath and Beyond during the school year. Lots of college kids getting all their dorm stuff there will see it and pick it up.

Was the price point 9.99? Seems a bit pricey.
Old 10-07-13, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It was $9.99, it's $6.99 on the site.

I don't get how it's any different than a bowl.
Old 10-07-13, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Red Dog

I totally nodded with an "ahhh, I can see that" when she said she was a manager at KPMG. I used to be in public accounting and you are so right - the proportion of attractive women at these firms is astonishing. I won't say anything about their competence as a whole (although I have a dim view of the value these firms offer in general), since it ran the gamut in my experience, but these two had personalities very much in line with those firms.

I loved Cuban with the Ramen guy - first he says he's out and then ends up going in at 15%. That was definitely a strong and confident pitch. I don't know if the product is great, I could see it going either way. I think it would be a great "gift" item for college prospects on their way to school.

Originally Posted by Jory
I only recently discovered that Shark Tank is only one show in a long series of shows usually called Dragons' Den elsewhere. Lately I've been watching the UK and Canadian versions of DD, which thankfully can be found all over YouTube.
Yeah, I had been watching DD before Shark Tank aired. I think the UK and especially the Canadian versions are far superior to Shark Tank, although I still enjoy Shark Tank. The UK version is very British and serious, so the entrepreneurs are drilled much more comprehensively about their businesses and plans. They tend to rush through all of the weak pitches in a 5 minute segment towards the middle of the show, rather than showing the whole pitch.

The Canadian version is my favorite, both because of the quality of the products and businesses on the show, and the casual friendly nature of the dragons. They tend to be more jovial and aren't at each others throats all the time like in Shark Tank and UK DD. Shark Tank really falls somewhere between the two in terms of tone.
Old 10-07-13, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Way to perpetuated Canadian stereotypes, Dragons Den Canada.
Old 10-07-13, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by sydonesia
I absolutely hate the "I give you some money now, in return you pay me back for the rest of your life" offers.
Kevin was absolutely right when he said something about having millions of unsalable units in a few years. I work with surplus/overstock. That Ramen bowl will be cool and sell for awhile (at least, until someone rips it off). On "fad" crap like that, you get the sales while they last. And then you sell the remaining inventory off to overstock/surplus, before your company collapses from overhead. Or, you sell it off to another company, and they trash the old packaging and repackage it (since the packaging probably costs more than the product, they trash the whole thing).

I've never cooked Ramen in the microwave. I eat it several times a week.
Old 10-07-13, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I wonder if Robert took flak last year for making so few deals.
Old 10-07-13, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Keep in mind Robert was also on Dragon's Den Canada, although I don't believe he was on that show last season, so it wouldn't excuse how few deals he made on Shark Tank last year.
Old 10-07-13, 12:24 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Yeah, he was on the Canadian DD for a long time. He was always my favourite.
I find the Canadian version to be less enjoyable than it used to be, but it's still a good show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.