TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Game of Thrones -- "Mhysa" -- Season Finale -- 6/9/13

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-13, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- "Mhysa" -- Season Finale -- 6/9/13

Originally Posted by wishbone
If it's a problem then blame the writers since slavery in Essos encompasses a myriad of people from different places.
Besides, she has the coloring of Casper the Friendly Ghost. Next to her everyone looks "brown."
Old 06-11-13, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by bdshort
People love to read too much into things.
Not reading into things makes for a brainless, boring experience. You wanna turn off your brain, go ahead - I can't seem to do that at will.
Old 06-11-13, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lifepawn
So who was digging with Sam and Wren when Sam found the dragon-glass and told them when you find something hidden you should leave it be? I thought that was Pip with a beard. He was in a few other scenes with Wren and Sam as well.
Ed and Grenn
Old 06-11-13, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
New to these threads, I see.
I don't think so. I created 90% of the GOT threads since the show started.

(I know you're being sarcastic)

As I said earlier, this is a really difficult show for me at least to watch. I rarely have anything of major substance to say because I don't read the books and I honestly have trouble trying to follow so many characters and stories.

There are so many comments mentioning names who I have no idea who that is until I do a Google search.

For the record, I have a good grasp on maybe 10 or so core characters and that's it.
Old 06-11-13, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Best season yet. Bring on Storm of Swords Part 2!
Old 06-11-13, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya

As I said earlier, this is a really difficult show for me at least to watch. I rarely have anything of major substance to say because I don't read the books and I honestly have trouble trying to follow so many characters and stories.

There are so many comments mentioning names who I have no idea who that is until I do a Google search.

For the record, I have a good grasp on maybe 10 or so core characters and that's it.
I know. But several people (including me) have been chastised for not paying attention enough or having watched each episode 3 times before commenting.
Old 06-11-13, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I recommend watching with the captioning on - or at least re-watching with them on - which is what I typically do since this is one of the few shows I will watch twice through before deleting. There are so many names and places that sound similar and/or are pronounced slightly differently by different characters that seeing them in "print" helps connect a lot of those dots. You will probably find out there aren't quite as many names/places to keep track of as it seems. Anyway, it worked for me.
Old 06-11-13, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Am I the only one that thinks it's part of the experience. It's supposed to be an immerssive world that is overwhelming and at times confusing. While reading the books you are literally assaulted with an endless amount of characters, not sure which of them are actually important.

The author is very deliberate about what information he discloses to the reader. For example during the Red Wedding when Roose Bolton stabs Robb GRRM doesn't even use Bolton's name, he just says a northern soldier with a pink cloak stabs him in the heart. You only realize that it's Bolton if you remember that in a previous chapter GRRM describes him as wearing a pink cloak. Yes there are subtle clues, but they are so subtle that it's perfectly natural to miss them. I picked up on the Roose Bolton thing, but while reading, I had no idea that Renly and Loras were gay. I didn't realize that until the TV show showed them having sex.

I think the show, like the books, are supposed to be overwhelming with the amount of characters and details they throw at you. It makes the story seem real in that it's not just focused on a few main characters, but there is an entire world of supporting characters that inhabit it. You don't necessarily understand who everybody is when they are introduced, or what their intentions are, but discovering that as the story unfolds is part of the fun. It adds a lot of replay value to the show. For example, non-book viewers will watch every scene with Roose Bolton from the 2nd and 3rd seasons with an entirely new frame of mind after they know what he ultimately does at the RW.
Old 06-11-13, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I have read the books, and even I still have a lot of trouble with names so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I'm about to go through and read them again while taking notes.
Old 06-11-13, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

If not for the pre-opening recaps, which tend to focus on moments and characters that will be in the episode (and also can spoil what's coming up, so I understand why some people skip them) I think I'd have a much harder time remembering who's who, especially if they disappear for episodes or even seasons at a time.
Old 06-11-13, 02:59 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Is it spoiler material? I fastidiously avoid spoilers for this show but enjoy reading speculation.
No, it's all about the past. But it could sort of give some indication as to how things will go in the future that the show hasn't really shown us yet.

FWIW I try to completely avoid spoilers as well. I enjoyed reading it and don't think it will spoil the experience for coming seasons.
Old 06-11-13, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Is it spoiler material? I fastidiously avoid spoilers for this show but enjoy reading speculation.
I didn't think so, mostly backstory from the books.
Old 06-11-13, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I recommend watching with the captioning on - or at least re-watching with them on - which is what I typically do since this is one of the few shows I will watch twice through before deleting. There are so many names and places that sound similar and/or are pronounced slightly differently by different characters that seeing them in "print" helps connect a lot of those dots. You will probably find out there aren't quite as many names/places to keep track of as it seems. Anyway, it worked for me.
on the Closed Captioning for the names alone.
Old 06-11-13, 04:21 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by B.A.
on the Closed Captioning for the names alone.
Yeah I've been doing this for most shows for a few years now, and sadly I have a hard time following the dialogue on a show without it now (my hearing is fine, I just use the CC as a crutch).
Old 06-11-13, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,281 Likes on 732 Posts

Old 06-11-13, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Glad to see I'm not the only one with that problem. Although, usually I can figure out the function or role of a character. The ones that come back after a long absence (several episodes or more) are the ones that cause trouble for me.

I guess as long as I can follow the main storylines without much confusion I'm fine with not knowing every character.

Really wish they'd just skip through the Theon Greyjoy and Ramsey storyline. I hate both guys and ever time they are on the screen I'm thinking about how much screen time is wasted on this and how it could be better used.
Old 06-11-13, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by aktick
Not looking for any future book spoilers, but if true this would mean
Spoiler:
Jon is Dany's nephew? And that Jon might be the "Ice" and Dany the "Fire" of A Song of Ice and Fire? And presumably that Jon will play a big role at some point...
Spoiler:
Yes, her nephew; and couldn't he be considered both Ice and Fire himself? (offspring of Stark + Targaryen)
Old 06-11-13, 05:55 PM
Suspended

Spoiler:
Yes, her nephew; and couldn't he be considered both Ice and Fire himself? (offspring of Stark + Targaryen)
Yeah I suppose so. And that's what IMO can sort of make this a spoiler, that
Spoiler:
we can probably assume Jon isn't dying anytime soon.
Old 06-11-13, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah I suppose so. And that's what IMO can sort of make this a spoiler, that
Spoiler:
we can probably assume Jon isn't dying anytime soon.
Spoiler:
They don't often write songs about the living.
Old 06-11-13, 06:47 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by pinata242
Spoiler:
They don't often write songs about the living.
Jerk.
Old 06-11-13, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.happyplace.com/24434/game...n-3-episode-10
Old 06-11-13, 07:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I said this in the book spoilers thread but I really really wish I had not have read the books just to see if I would have a hard time following along with the show. The books were very confusing at times because you have many more background characters than the show. So many more Houses to keep track with tons of family members within.

The only show I can think of that has ever confused me with keeping characters straight is The Wire. Now granted there was one central location (Baltimore) but you can basically say that all the different locations within were like the multiple locations within the GoT world.

Have those who get lost from GoT watched it? Did this show make you confused as well? It definitely took multiple views for me to get everything straight and I think GoT warrents that as well. Just want to know if I experienced what you are going through when I first watched The Wire.
Old 06-11-13, 07:13 PM
Suspended

Oh yeah, Pycelle sticking up for Joffrey was sad. Can't wait until someone finds out he's a lying SOB.

Hodor likes this.
Old 06-11-13, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Originally Posted by EEz28
I said this in the book spoilers thread but I really really wish I had not have read the books just to see if I would have a hard time following along with the show. The books were very confusing at times because you have many more background characters than the show. So many more Houses to keep track with tons of family members within.

The only show I can think of that has ever confused me with keeping characters straight is The Wire. Now granted there was one central location (Baltimore) but you can basically say that all the different locations within were like the multiple locations within the GoT world.

Have those who get lost from GoT watched it? Did this show make you confused as well? It definitely took multiple views for me to get everything straight and I think GoT warrents that as well. Just want to know if I experienced what you are going through when I first watched The Wire.
I was completely lost at first watching the Wire, but I definitely felt I had a good handle on the characters as the first and subsequent seasons progressed. I think this show may be a little tougher with the names though.
Old 06-11-13, 09:20 PM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Not looking for any future book spoilers, but if true this would mean
Spoiler:
Jon is Dany's nephew? And that Jon might be the "Ice" and Dany the "Fire" of A Song of Ice and Fire? And presumably that Jon will play a big role at some point...
Spoiler:
Do the books explain anywhere why Dany is able to tolerate the fire? Is this a trait that all in her bloodline share? I would assume in GRRM's character development he might have imagined her family line developed some mutant gene that allowed them to never get burned because they dealt so much with dragons? Or maybe its all just magic? If Jon really is one of her side I can't wait to see the scene where he is threatened to be burned and survives or where his clothes all burn off....

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.