Game of Thrones -- "Mhysa" -- Season Finale -- 6/9/13

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-13, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Game of Thrones -- "Mhysa" -- Season Finale -- 6/9/13

Originally Posted by bluesix
Spoiler:
Do the books explain anywhere why Dany is able to tolerate the fire? Is this a trait that all in her bloodline share? I would assume in GRRM's character development he might have imagined her family line developed some mutant gene that allowed them to never get burned because they dealt so much with dragons? Or maybe its all just magic? If Jon really is one of her side I can't wait to see the scene where he is threatened to be burned and survives or where his clothes all burn off....
Spoiler:
I don't think it's clear, it's definitely not all in her bloodline though, her brother would have survived his 'crowning' she even states afterwords, he is not a true dragon.

Jon is not impervious to fire, I'm not sure if it was made as big a deal of it in the show but in the book he clearly badly burned his hand in book/season 1 when he saved Mormont from the wight by grabbing the lantern with his bare hand and throwing it at the wight.
Old 06-12-13, 02:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by EEz28
Have those who get lost from GoT watched it? Did this show make you confused as well? It definitely took multiple views for me to get everything straight and I think GoT warrents that as well. Just want to know if I experienced what you are going through when I first watched The Wire.
I was lost for most of season 1 of The Wire. But by the end it starts to come together and later seasons were much easier to follow.
I never had problems with Game Of Thrones but that's probably because of how much I love the show I want to concentrate while watching and I want to understand it all. Granted the "History and Lore of Westeros" on the blu-rays helps immensly, so do rewatching. But I never felt lost or confused.
Old 06-12-13, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

This guy asked his dad to name the characters of GoT, the results are pretty good:
Spoiler:

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/11bIw/embed"></iframe>

Last edited by DaveyJoe; 06-12-13 at 11:09 AM.
Old 06-12-13, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

If they really need to kill time to let Martin catch-up, they can always do little one-off episodes that serve as , well, filler. While we have mentioned Sack of Kings Landing as one, maybe one that explores supporting characters might work. I think it would be interesting to have one that explored the relationship of Theon and Ros at Winterfell. Maybe have a story about two young people in love who are about to run but circumstances arise where they couldn't. The final shot could be of the respective characters where they either met their end or where they currently reside in the story.
Old 06-12-13, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Theon and Ros: A Touching Love Story.
Old 06-12-13, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, Ros, how I miss you.
Old 06-12-13, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since GRRM already gave an outline to the producers I would think they would just proceed the way they have been to the end.
Old 06-12-13, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
This guy asked his dad to name the characters of GoT, the results are pretty good:
Spoiler:

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/11bIw/embed"></iframe>
This is why I do find it funny to hear some book readers say that people haven't been paying attention when asking questions. Pretty sure a large number of TV show watchers are in this same boat, not knowing who's who and the different character names.
Old 06-12-13, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by arminius
Since GRRM already gave an outline to the producers I would think they would just proceed the way they have been to the end.
You know HBO would love being the sole source of new material for this series.
Old 06-12-13, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

I'm sure there will be some embellishments...

Frasier: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times...."
Norm: "Wait, which was it?"
Frasier: "Just stay tuned, Norm. It was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness..."
Cliff: "Boy, this Dickens guy really liked to keep his butt covered, didn't he?"
Frasier: "There was a King on the throne of England with a strong jaw, and a queen with a plain face."
[Everyone loses interest and begins turning back to their beers.]
Frasier: "...and there was a bloodthirsty clown... who beckoned innocent children into the sewers and swallowed them whole! And suddenly, an Apache attack chopper hovered over the guillotine! Pumping hot lead into the crowd. As Darnay climbed aboard the chopper, sweat streaming from his blood-stained brow... he could be heard to mutter: 'It is a far, far better thing I do... than I have ever done. It is a far, far better... butt-kicking I give... than I have ever butt-kicked!'"
Old 06-12-13, 03:01 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
This is why I do find it funny to hear some book readers say that people haven't been paying attention when asking questions. Pretty sure a large number of TV show watchers are in this same boat, not knowing who's who and the different character names.
Come on -- if the best you can do is "Blonde Dragon Chick," you haven't been paying attention.
Old 06-12-13, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fuckin' A. Her name is Khaleesi!
Old 06-12-13, 03:33 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, and they should.

I'm conflicted about whether I should support GRRM's right as an author to take the time needed to do the job right and his obligation to his readers to finish the thing. Obviously, he had the first three books ready to go, and they just poured forth over a very brief period considering their lengths. I guess I'd be more supportive if the long wait for books 4 & 5 had produced masterpieces; instead, we got some good-but-not remarkable 'tweener' books (much of which will be jettisoned for the show, according to Dan & Dave). It's easier to be patient when the results are stunning; not so much so otherwise (especially when a host of new characters and subplots emerge and the overall plot threatens to expand beyond control).

What bothers me most is GRRM's attitude of "the books will be done when they're done...and the saga might or might not be finished in seven books"...coupled with statements he made indicating that he'd be pretty irked if the producers decide to continue with the books unpublished (meaning "unwritten"). It's especially galling since GRRM worked so long in television and knows the industry and what he signed on for. He should't blame HBO for wanting to proceed on schedule even though EVERYONE wants the books to be published first. And remember that HBO took on an unfinished series in good faith not knowing exactly what GRRM would come up with aside from his outline.

I'm inclined to think that GRRM is being self-indulgent here. Whether he can't bear to part with his characters, thinks he's going to create a 20-installment epic, has writer's block, or is just being obstinate, he shouldn't complain if they continue without him when HE is the only one who can do something about it by sitting down and finishing the thing. He can always do what he did with the Red Wedding...go on and write the parts he has fully envisioned and come back later to polish off other chapters.

ASOIAF is really, really good, but it's not the end-all of fantasy literature (FOC & DOD demonstrated that). Just get on with it and quit griping. At least you can finish it the way YOU want without having to see someone else's version come out first (or keeling over from heart failure and having leaving your brainchild to be finished by someone else).
Old 06-12-13, 03:40 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bluesix
Spoiler:
Do the books explain anywhere why Dany is able to tolerate the fire? Is this a trait that all in her bloodline share? I would assume in GRRM's character development he might have imagined her family line developed some mutant gene that allowed them to never get burned because they dealt so much with dragons? Or maybe its all just magic? If Jon really is one of her side I can't wait to see the scene where he is threatened to be burned and survives or where his clothes all burn off....
Easy.

'Cause she's amazingly hot.
Old 06-12-13, 03:45 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Spoiler:
Not being thrown into the river on camera leads me to believe you are correct
Not surprised that they didn't show this but was sort of hoping for a long-distance shot of this since it just added to contempt shown toward the Starks.

As for Wolf Robb, can you imagine the reaction if they had sown Robb's head onto Grey Wind's body?
Old 06-12-13, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonF
Come on -- if the best you can do is "Blonde Dragon Chick," you haven't been paying attention.
I'd say some of those are obviously exaggerated for comedic effect, but that doesn't mean there's a ton of characters that people wouldn't be able to name. How many TV-only people do you think could spell Daenerys Targaryen?

Last edited by fumanstan; 06-12-13 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-12-13, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by creekdipper
Yeah, and they should.

I'm conflicted about whether I should support GRRM's right as an author to take the time needed to do the job right and his obligation to his readers to finish the thing. Obviously, he had the first three books ready to go, and they just poured forth over a very brief period considering their lengths. I guess I'd be more supportive if the long wait for books 4 & 5 had produced masterpieces; instead, we got some good-but-not remarkable 'tweener' books (much of which will be jettisoned for the show, according to Dan & Dave). It's easier to be patient when the results are stunning; not so much so otherwise (especially when a host of new characters and subplots emerge and the overall plot threatens to expand beyond control).

What bothers me most is GRRM's attitude of "the books will be done when they're done...and the saga might or might not be finished in seven books"...coupled with statements he made indicating that he'd be pretty irked if the producers decide to continue with the books unpublished (meaning "unwritten"). It's especially galling since GRRM worked so long in television and knows the industry and what he signed on for. He should't blame HBO for wanting to proceed on schedule even though EVERYONE wants the books to be published first. And remember that HBO took on an unfinished series in good faith not knowing exactly what GRRM would come up with aside from his outline.

I'm inclined to think that GRRM is being self-indulgent here. Whether he can't bear to part with his characters, thinks he's going to create a 20-installment epic, has writer's block, or is just being obstinate, he shouldn't complain if they continue without him when HE is the only one who can do something about it by sitting down and finishing the thing. He can always do what he did with the Red Wedding...go on and write the parts he has fully envisioned and come back later to polish off other chapters.

ASOIAF is really, really good, but it's not the end-all of fantasy literature (FOC & DOD demonstrated that). Just get on with it and quit griping. At least you can finish it the way YOU want without having to see someone else's version come out first (or keeling over from heart failure and having leaving your brainchild to be finished by someone else).
I agree. He can also save time by not describing any more meals. Maybe he should eat a big meal before writing.

He should also learn from The Wheel Of Ti,.$%$@%ARGGH.

Last edited by arminius; 06-12-13 at 04:59 PM.
Old 06-12-13, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

'Cause she's amazingly hot.
Not really my type. Talisa (sadly departed), Melisandre or Margaery... now you're talking.
Old 06-12-13, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree. He can also save time by not describing any more meals. Maybe he should eat a big meal before writing.

He should also learn from The Wheel Of Ti,.$%$@%ARGGH.

He can also save time by writing instead of attending tons of conventions and consuming what I am sure are a lot of free meals.
Old 06-12-13, 07:43 PM

I had no idea about how many books were written and how it lines up with the show as I tried my best to avoid spoilers (though assholes did ruin the red wedding for me) but here's a good article talking about it:
Game Of Thrones’ Creator Writing Faster To Finish Books 6 & 7
http://screenrant.com/game-thrones-g...release-dates/

It seems they are shooting for 9 season of GOT which is interesting and I'm all for it.

I have one question from this episode though. Arya had that coin from that one dude and I think she called his name. I don't remember but when he gave her that coin didn't he say if you ever need me call my name or something? I forgot about how all that played out.
Old 06-12-13, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by xx2000xx
I have one question from this episode though. Arya had that coin from that one dude and I think she called his name. I don't remember but when he gave her that coin didn't he say if you ever need me call my name or something? I forgot about how all that played out.
It wasn't his name (Jaqen H'ghar) he said to go to Braavos, show the coin and say "Valar Morghulis" if she wanted to find him. Arya said Valar Morghulis before stabbing the guy.
Old 06-12-13, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

I'm inclined to think that GRRM is being self-indulgent here. Whether he can't bear to part with his characters...
I don't think that is a problem he has.
Old 06-12-13, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dalbowski
It wasn't his name (Jaqen H'ghar) he said to go to Braavos, show the coin and say "Valar Morghulis" if she wanted to find him. Arya said Valar Morghulis before stabbing the guy.
I'm nitpicking here, but Jaqen actually told her to find any man from Braavos, give him the coin and say, "Valar Morghulis".

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hkFnTT6vebc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And to be *really* nitpicky, Arya said it after stabbing the guy.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/amcG-ebJb_E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I wouldn't have corrected you, but in GoT, the details seem to somehow end up being important.
Old 06-13-13, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
You know HBO would love being the sole source of new material for this series.
You know how many book readers DVR or wait for the Blu-Rays because they know what is going to happen?

If they started on new material the first viewing numbers would be astronomical
Old 06-13-13, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by hahn
I wouldn't have corrected you, but in GoT, the details seem to somehow end up being important.
In Season Two Jaquen dispensed with the guards at Harrenhal so Arya, Gendry, and Hot Pie walked out of the gate when they saw all was clear. What happened in the book was more akin to this scene shown in Season Three.
Spoiler:
Arya then decides to flee Harrenhal, and eventually convinces Gendry and Hot Pie to come with her that night. They meet at the Tower of Ghosts, Gendry says the postern gate is guarded, and Arya says she will get rid of the guard. She approaches him openly and tells him that Lord Roose has her giving a silver piece to all the guards for their service. She takes out the coin Jaqen gave her and drops it, when the guard reach for it, she slits his throat and the three ride out through a sally port and away from Harrenhal.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.