DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead -- "Prey" -- 3/17/13

Yea. Needs more Ted Nugent.
Old 03-17-13, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
One thing they have GOT to do is get rid of the hipster music that they've been starting to play at the end of each episode.

Besides the fact that it's totally out of place, it's distracting and takes you out of the moment.
Agreed, it's a bad recent development.
Old 03-17-13, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
This...is season three. If you meant season two, then no, season two only had 13 episodes.
Getting ahead of myself.
Old 03-17-13, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

The Bee Gee's Saturday Night Fever album would be playing in my zombie appocalypse soundtrack.
Old 03-17-13, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Yea. Needs more Ted Nugent.
Yeah, he's been a brain-dead zombie for years now, so a perfect fit.
Old 03-17-13, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

One thing they have GOT to do is get rid of the hipster music that they've been starting to play at the end of each episode.

Besides the fact that it's totally out of place, it's distracting and takes you out of the moment.
Music is used sparingly now, but it's just the first step on the show becoming Sons of Anarchy, where musical montages make up about 35% of each episode.
Old 03-17-13, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Music is used sparingly now, but it's just the first step on the show becoming Sons of Anarchy, where musical montages make up about 35% of each episode.
Is it sparingly? I think we're all talking about its use at the end, not for montage sequences during the show.
Old 03-17-13, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oh, I think the Governor is going to go Jigsaw next week. Oh, the show will earn the new TV-MA rating rating next week. Hope Milton saves Andrea. I think he burned the Walkers and not Tyrese. Apparently they can still function burned, whatever is "in the brain" that you have to destroy is apparently not destroyed by fire. And that was some of Nicotero's finest makeup work yet. The production values on this episode were pretty high, apparently the director isn't anyone in particular, just a TV veteran. Nicotero himself directs next week, and then Dickerson directs the finale, for which they'll doubtlessly pull out all of the stops, especially given that he's tended to direct more action-packed episodes. I still can't believe Rick is dumb enough to still be considering handing over Micchone in the preview for next week.

Originally Posted by mhg83
I think the Governor is infected.
He is, with the rage virus from 28 Days Later. That's how he ran faster than Andrea to the prison and killed all of the zombies.

I realize that just because the show takes place in a post-apocalyptic world, that doesn't mean they can't have pop music on the soundtrack, but every time they do, it yanks me out of the scene. I just find it jarring. Maybe it's just their choices of songs.

Nice set piece in the house, probably pretty run of the mill for TV these days, but as I don't watch much, I thought it was impressive production value and direction for a TV series since I'm still digging my way out of the 90s.

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 03-17-13 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-17-13, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Well at least Game of Thrones premieres in 2 weeks so I can watch a show where something you know actually happens.

Season 3 second half -how to take 8 episodes to show 2 episodes worth of material. Snooze.
Old 03-17-13, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

Darn.. I thought this would have been the opportunity for Carol to be on watch and she accidentally shoots and kills Andrea as she approaches the prison, because she was practicing her marksmanship and all.
Old 03-17-13, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll go on record as saying I enjoyed it. Yeah, it only took up about a day's time, but it was good to see what was happening at Woodbury between the meeting and the showdown. Andrea gets close to redemption, and then she gets put in the chair (which we HAD to assume was being set for Michonne, in a callback to the comics).

I don't know what the comics say (if anything) about Michonne and her walkers, but I was surprised to find out that those walkers she had with her weren't family members; I expected them to be a brother and a boyfriend or something, not someone who had done harm to her before.

I don't know what to make of Tyrese, his sister, and their companions. Tyrese is either stupid or playing the Governor and taking advantage of his fractured demeanor.

The scene in the warehouse/wherever they were was really good, IMO. The Governor seemed like a true madman, and it was one of the of the most tense scenes I've scene in the show.

Of course he was going to get out of there alive, but I didn't expect him to catch Andrea.

The scorched biters were really disgusting. Also, I like that the Woodbury group calls them biters and the prison group calls them walkers. It's a nice sign of the difference between them, the competing cultures, and what they view them as. Woodbury sees them as completely dangerous and needing to be eliminated/used as a weapon. The prison group just sees them as just another danger in the world, but there's no need to prescribe a certain characteristic to them (like "biter"). Maybe I'm thinking too much about that.
Old 03-17-13, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great episode. Intense, and some nice character development with Tyrese's group.

This I will agree with, for sure.
Old 03-17-13, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

She didn't say they weren't family, just that they deserved what they got.
Old 03-17-13, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
She didn't say they weren't family, just that they deserved what they got.
You're right. I think she said, "They weren't human to begin with."
Old 03-17-13, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Good thing Andrea left the truck or at least did not puncture tires. Did she lose her knife? Why not stab the governor?
Old 03-17-13, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Hope Milton saves Andrea. I think he burned the Walkers and not Tyrese.
Were you watching the show?
Old 03-17-13, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Astrofan
Were you watching the show?
I would think Tyrese would raise flags if he took a truck out at night.
Old 03-17-13, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by reubs82
Andrea gets close to redemption, and then she gets put in the chair (which we HAD to assume was being set for Michonne, in a callback to the comics).
Were you watching the show? It was obviously for Michone. Who else, my Auntie Faye?
Old 03-17-13, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Episode's actually pretty eventful tonight. 4chan spoiled it days ago.
Wish that was true.

I didn't really care for the Governor hunting down Andrea, and the slow hunt in the building was kind of boring and led nowhere. The conflict between Tyrese and the guy and his son was kind of a waste of time too, since I don't know enough about those characters in the show to really care.
Old 03-17-13, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Cusm
I would think Tyrese would raise flags if he took a truck out at night.
Were you watching the show? I think you'd better go back and review. ObV that Tyrese did the burning using gasoline that Milton gave him.
Old 03-17-13, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It didn't seem obvious to me that Tyrese did it, especially after the exchange with the governor.
Old 03-17-13, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
It didn't seem obvious to me that Tyrese did it, especially after the exchange with the governor.
Were you watching the show? Tyrese essentially admitted it and even said why he did it. The Governor wanted to know where he got the gasoline from and said "forget it" because he figured it out.
Old 03-17-13, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

What? His exact words were "come again" with a look of puzzlement. How does that equate to admitting anything?
Old 03-17-13, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Astrofan
Were you watching the show? Tyrese essentially admitted it and even said why he did it. The Governor wanted to know where he got the gasoline from and said "forget it" because he figured it out.
Originally Posted by DthRdrX
What? His exact words were "come again" with a look of puzzlement. How does that equate to admitting anything?
Yeah, Tyrese didn't admit anything obvious to me. Everything seemed to point to Milton. Not sure why you keep questioning whether people watched the show or not and being a dick about it.
Old 03-17-13, 11:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan
Wish that was true.
Yeah, my mistake; it was next week's episode. Spoilers are out there for the final two now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.