TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Does Breaking Bad ever get good?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-12, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts
Re: Does Breaking Bad ever get good?

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Again I am jealous of people who got to see season 4 immediately after season 3. That one year wait was fucking insane.
Yea. And I'll try to block this out of my head for the next year. Then I can watch Season 5 at once.

It occured to me that I watched 40 hours of Breaking Bad last week. I feel like I need to readjust to civilization after taking in that much at once.

And everyone on that show needs to have a talk about answering their damn cell phones. How many times do people leave voicemails over three seasons? 100? 200?
Old 06-18-12, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Yeah, I've been going back and reading some of the threads as I watch them. Just read the 4x08 "Hermanos" thread last night after watching it. I got a chuckle out of the Gus possibly being gay talk and that no one saw that coming. I assumed he was gay pretty much from the get go. Don't want to spoil it for anyone, but everyone who's seen it should know the flashback sequence I'm referring to.
Spoiler:
I just watched Hermanos and thought for a second that Gus' excuse for being in Gale's apartment was that they were lovers! So yeah, that was the vibe I always got. Not that there's anything wrong with that!
Old 06-18-12, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, I bought season one and two of this on BD last year...watched it...didn't care for it. I tried. I'm almost positive I gave up with two eps left on season.

Now, last night, I caught those two episodes late-night on AMC...I'm back on board. I need to catch up with this show immediately. Will be borrowing them ASAP.
Old 06-18-12, 10:33 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Moopher
So, I bought season one and two of this on BD last year...watched it...didn't care for it. I tried. I'm almost positive I gave up with two eps left on season.

Now, last night, I caught those two episodes late-night on AMC...I'm back on board. I need to catch up with this show immediately. Will be borrowing them ASAP.
This is a great example of why people shouldn't stop watching a show like this after a couple of seasons. Glad you are revisiting the show. You won't regret it.
Old 06-24-12, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just finished season 4. Holy f'ing Jebus... what a masterpiece this show is.
Old 06-24-12, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I think I may have to buy Season 4. It's in my Netflix BD queue but it says "Very Long Wait"...
Old 06-24-12, 06:40 PM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
Just finished season 4. Holy f'ing Jebus... what a masterpiece this show is.
So Breaking Bad finally gets "good" in Season 4. Whew. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-24-12, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Yea. You could say that. The show gets action packed and all-around badass in Season 4. Before that, there's a lot of intensity, but nothing really adventerous. All the stuff with the cartels and Gus really brings teh epic.
Old 06-24-12, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I finished up season 4 last week myself. Fantastic beginning to end. I loved the final scene when it played out, but after sitting on it for a week, I feel it was kinda hokey.
Old 06-25-12, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I shared my thoughts on Season 1 and Season 2. Finished season 3 tonight, and thought it was the best season so far. Was a little peeved about the ending, since I was expecting some sort of conclusion like there was in season 1 and 2. Can't wait to start season 4.

I mentioned after viewing season 2, I'd personally had this show as the 6th or 7th best show currently on TV, but after season 3, I'd put it around 4th or 5th.
Old 06-25-12, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know what's better. Watching an episode and let it grow on you, for a couple of days at least. Or marathoning the series, watching an episode after an episode.

What do you think is best for Breaking Bad?

But yeah, if you have the dvd/blu set is really hard to watch an episode and wait a couple of days for the next one.
Old 06-28-12, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey I didn't ask the original question! The show had me hooked literally two minutes into the pilot! But season 4 took it from "pretty damn good show" to "possibly the best television I've ever seen."
Old 06-28-12, 09:35 PM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Hey I didn't ask the original question! The show had me hooked literally two minutes into the pilot! But season 4 took it from "pretty damn good show" to "possibly the best television I've ever seen."
I know. I was just joking around because I'm shocked that a thread with a title this dumb would last so long.

BB is simply a great show.
Old 06-28-12, 09:40 PM
Banned

I know. I was just joking around because I'm shocked that a thread with a title this dumb would last so long.

BB is simply a great show.
Well you know how some people are. You have your doubters, haters, people that love to say 'it's overrated' just to be saying it.. Can't please everybody.
Old 06-29-12, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Raul3
I don't know what's better. Watching an episode and let it grow on you, for a couple of days at least. Or marathoning the series, watching an episode after an episode.

What do you think is best for Breaking Bad?
I prefer marathoning with any show but I gotta say I felt season 3 suffered that way. For some reason it seemed to really drag in places - more than when I watched it week to week.
Old 06-29-12, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's turned into the "I just started watching BB" thread, which is cool.

Originally Posted by Gunde
I prefer marathoning with any show but I gotta say I felt season 3 suffered that way. For some reason it seemed to really drag in places - more than when I watched it week to week.
I hated the first half of season 3 when I burned through the BDs. It probably would have been better week-to-week.
Old 06-29-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Shit, I bumped an old Breaking Bad thread and didn't even see this one on the first page. Well, yeah, it gets better, dolphinboy, if you even still care.
Old 07-06-12, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Just finished season 4 and it has been exhausting (in a good way), now I can finally take a break before next week's season premiere. I agree that this show may suffer from marathoning it compared to watching it on a weekly basis, especially since the show has a "slow-burn" approach for each season. It's a great show, but I still have Mad Men, Game of Thrones, and Justified ahead of it. It's crazy to think how much Walt has evolved since the beginning, but unlike other anti-heroes I rooted for (Tony Soprano, Vic Mackey, Dexter, etc), I do want Walt to fail in the end.

Also I really enjoyed reading the episode threads with the constant misspelling of .

Last edited by outcastja; 07-06-12 at 04:08 AM.
Old 07-06-12, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by outcastja
\unlike other anti-heroes I rooted for (Tony Soprano, Vic Mackey, Dexter, etc), I do want Walt to fail in the end.
Ab-so-fucking-lutely.

Jesse on the other hand, I'd like to see riding off into the sunset with a "happily ever after" vibe.
Old 07-06-12, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I was thinking more a "I'm a badass motherfucker" vibe.
Old 07-06-12, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, yeah, that too. I just don't want him to meet a grisly fate or end up in jail. I still think he's not near as gone as Walt and is capable of being a respectable human being.
Old 07-06-12, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Again I am jealous of people who got to see season 4 immediately after season 3. That one year wait was fucking insane.
Just watched Season 3 and 4 together this summer after catching Seasons 1 & 2 a while ago. Great effing television.
Old 07-06-12, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm on the fence on wanting Walt to pay the price for his misdeeds. I was firmly on the "I want him to live and get away with it" until the end of Season 4. Now, I don't know.
Old 07-06-12, 05:05 PM

I'm on the fence on wanting Walt to pay the price for his misdeeds. I was firmly on the "I want him to live and get away with it" until the end of Season 4. Now, I don't know.
Spoiler:
Hence 'Breaking Bad'. To me it became abundantly clear he was a man that adapted to the moment at hand. Fatal consequences usually happened. I have a hard time thinking anyone he was responsible with being killed was exactly 'innocent'. He tried to live in a normal family template. You know, like we are all told to be from birth.

Took us awhile to see how he can be unlike Gus who was ruthless from the beginning (though the eventual back-story gave us a view on why).

Walt has been responsible for deaths due to survival. Unlike the others that do it just to make a point. I believe Walt knew the kid would make it though from the poisoning. This is all just how I grasped the story individually so don't flame me. I welcome a discussion if anyone disagrees though.
Old 07-06-12, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a feeling that this show is going to end with Walt getting away with everything but some other universal disaster happening to him.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.