TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Does Breaking Bad ever get good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-12, 08:17 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Does Breaking Bad ever get good?

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I figured I'd watch this during a so far boring summer after having quit watching the show in the middle of season 2 and starting this thread.

Wow, it's still so boring and dumb. I tune in and the writing is so offensive and flat. Walt goes to get breakfast and then leaves the entire meal on the table and not, at least, giving it to the poor. Come on, the economy is in tank and he orders eggs, plays games with the bacon and then doesn't even eat? What a waste...the show is so stupid and boring and now insensitive to people who are hungry.

A show glorifying drug use and now the wasting of food and not starting off the day with a good meal. Terrible show. Total waste of time!

Spoiler:
I'm just kidding. I'll watch season 5 and then go on to see how it ends even though I don't find the show to be as great as most of you do.
Old 07-17-12, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
I figured I'd watch this during a so far boring summer after having quit watching the show in the middle of season 2 and starting this thread.

Wow, it's still so boring and dumb. I tune in and the writing is so offensive and flat. Walt goes to get breakfast and then leaves the entire meal on the table and not, at least, giving it to the poor. Come on, the economy is in tank and he orders eggs, plays games with the bacon and then doesn't even eat? What a waste...the show is so stupid and boring and now insensitive to people who are hungry.

A show glorifying drug use and now the wasting of food and not starting off the day with a good meal. Terrible show. Total waste of time!

Spoiler:
I'm just kidding. I'll watch season 5 and then go on to see how it ends even though I don't find the show to be as great as most of you do.
That's a pretty good parody of some serious Amazon reviews.
Old 07-18-12, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Sondheim
That's a pretty good parody of some serious Amazon reviews.
Honestly, I wasn't parodying anything and never read those reviews, but I'm at least glad you have a sense of humor.
Old 07-18-12, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

Not every show works for everyone, surprised you're sticking with it. And yes, that is very much a Amazon.com review
Old 07-18-12, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

YOU CAN GO DIE NOW!!!...oh..you were kidding, carry on then with living.
Old 07-18-12, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Something I noticed recently while rewatching the pilot episode:

Walt's birthday party was before the cancer diagnosis. At the birthday party, he looked awfully curious when they were watching TV on Hank's $700K drug bust.

At first, I thought Walter White was a good man who chose to go down a dark path in order to do good for his family. Now, I think that he always wanted to cook meth. The cancer didn't lead him down that path, it just removed the roadblock.
Old 07-19-12, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
Something I noticed recently while rewatching the pilot episode:

Walt's birthday party was before the cancer diagnosis. At the birthday party, he looked awfully curious when they were watching TV on Hank's $700K drug bust.

At first, I thought Walter White was a good man who chose to go down a dark path in order to do good for his family. Now, I think that he always wanted to cook meth. The cancer didn't lead him down that path, it just removed the roadblock.
It was his 50th birthday party and in typical mid-life crisis mode Walt was shocked by how much money the drug dealers made compared to his crappy salary. Remember Hank was busting on him with Walt Jr. about being the old boring guy. That was probably the first time he held a gun also. I think he was just questioning his place in life.

I think Cranston did a good job of summarizing Walk's situation in the past.

All people in the real world can be tempted to do bad things but the real question is what makes a person step over that straight and narrow line Walt lived his entire life on. For Walt, it was the knowledge that he would soon be dead and unable to provide for his own family.
Old 07-28-12, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I haven't read all of this thread because some spoilers started getting tossed around, but i'm early in season 4 (episode 4) after spending the last couple weeks working through the series. Spoilers ahead, just in case.

Spoiler:
While i'm enjoying the series well enough, I'm not anywhere near in love with the show as everyone else it seems. I've been genuinely enjoying Walt's progression and how he's learned, adapted, and juggled this new life of his, but I just haven't been particularly fond of Jesse and everything he does (it was most interesting to me when he was actually clean, but since it reverted I'm back to not caring about his character). I thought the arc with his girlfriend that overdoses just ended poorly.

As for all the other character, I don't care for Skyler, and even less so after she slept with Tom. She just seems bitchy and unlikable. Walt Jr. just feels kind of worthless lately. Marie is just really annoying, especially when she's talking to Skyler. I do like Hank and the DEA stuff, particularly after the gunfight with those 2 guys. And of all the main drug distribution guys, I haven't been interested in any of them and find the hit man/cleaner/investigator guy the most fun to watch.

I don't know, maybe all the raving about it raised my expectations too high. I'll continue watching the rest of the series, but I guess i'm like dolphinboy. It's ridiculous to me that people were calling him a troll at the start of this thread.

EDIT: For what its worth, i actually liked the way the first season started a lot more and seeing the chemistry put to use like with the bodies. I think i've gotten less interested as the story went on, which seems counter to what people were saying. I'm weird, I guess.

Last edited by fumanstan; 07-28-12 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-29-12, 01:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by fumanstan

Spoiler:
While i'm enjoying the series well enough, I'm not anywhere near in love with the show as everyone else it seems. I've been genuinely enjoying Walt's progression and how he's learned, adapted, and juggled this new life of his, but I just haven't been particularly fond of Jesse and everything he does (it was most interesting to me when he was actually clean, but since it reverted I'm back to not caring about his character). I thought the arc with his girlfriend that overdoses just ended poorly.

As for all the other character, I don't care for Skyler, and even less so after she slept with Tom. She just seems bitchy and unlikable. Walt Jr. just feels kind of worthless lately. Marie is just really annoying, especially when she's talking to Skyler. I do like Hank and the DEA stuff, particularly after the gunfight with those 2 guys. And of all the main drug distribution guys, I haven't been interested in any of them and find the hit man/cleaner/investigator guy the most fun to watch.

no1curr
Old 07-29-12, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by bootsy
no1curr
Butt hurt that people don't agree with you in both movie talk and sports talk, eh? Who the hell uses that term anyway

Last edited by fumanstan; 07-29-12 at 03:05 PM.
Old 07-29-12, 03:26 PM
Banned

Butt hurt that people don't agree with you in both movie talk and sports talk, eh? Who the hell uses that term anyway
People that don't care about useless info you provided. 'Well I like the show but I don't think it's all that but I do like Hank and the guy that did this and the two guys that looked like this but it isn't that great.'

What?

For the good of people that do enjoy the show just stop watching.
Old 07-29-12, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by bootsy
People that don't care about useless info you provided. 'Well I like the show but I don't think it's all that but I do like Hank and the guy that did this and the two guys that looked like this but it isn't that great.'

What?

For the good of people that do enjoy the show just stop watching.
Sounds like you're in the wrong thread if it bothers you so much. Most of this thread is discussion on what people liked or didn't like.

Last edited by fumanstan; 07-29-12 at 03:38 PM.
Old 07-29-12, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

I haven't read all this thread, either, but I felt compelled to jump in here in say that I FUCKING LOVE THIS SHOW! I decided to start it up last week on Netflix from the pilot episode, and haven't stopped watching it since. Just finished watching the season four finale before typing this. I am blown the fuck away. It had its lulls here and there, and all of the characters have their good and bad points, just like pretty much everyone you meet in life. But everyone involved in the story affects the outcome in some way or another, great or small, even a character with not a whole lot to do, like Walt, Jr.

I thought they could have ended the series with the final episode of season four, and I was sitting there wondering how they were going to continue it, knowing they're already into season five. It wasn't until the final shot when they showed what Walt had apparently done as part of his plan, and I just sat there in shock, open-mouthed, while the credits rolled.

I don't have cable or satellite, so I either have to wait for them to add the new episodes to Netflix, or find someplace online that shows the episodes. Maybe Hulu, or even AMC's website. Looking forward to continuing the story, however I have to watch it.

Last edited by The Infidel; 07-29-12 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-29-12, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't read all of this thread because some spoilers started getting tossed around, but i'm early in season 4 (episode 4) after spending the last couple weeks working through the series. Spoilers ahead, just in case.

Spoiler:

I don't know, maybe all the raving about it raised my expectations too high. I'll continue watching the rest of the series, but I guess i'm like dolphinboy. It's ridiculous to me that people were calling him a troll at the start of this thread.

EDIT: For what its worth, i actually liked the way the first season started a lot more and seeing the chemistry put to use like with the bodies. I think i've gotten less interested as the story went on, which seems counter to what people were saying. I'm weird, I guess.
I hate Skyler and Marie too, but that doesn't detract me from thinking the show is the best drama in the history of TV.

It doesn't sound like you're paying much attention if you have to refer to Mike as "hit man/cleaner/investigator".

I guess I'm confused to what you were looking for in this show, since as great as the first season is it's only gotten better in terms of story development as the series has progressed.

Your favorite version of Jesse is when he was clean, which as a character who's a crank user and a drug dealer, totally negates everything he's supposed to be.
Old 07-29-12, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mcfly
I hate Skyler and Marie too, but that doesn't detract me from thinking the show is the best drama in the history of TV.

It doesn't sound like you're paying much attention if you have to refer to Mike as "hit man/cleaner/investigator".

I guess I'm confused to what you were looking for in this show, since as great as the first season is it's only gotten better in terms of story development as the series has progressed.

Your favorite version of Jesse is when he was clean, which as a character who's a crank user and a drug dealer, totally negates everything he's supposed to be.
It's funny, because I swear now that i'm in the episodes where Jesse is working with Mike, his name has been said more in the last few episodes i've seen then all of Season 3. Or maybe i'm just not paying enough attention like you said.

As for Jesse, I simply liked seeing his character evolve. Not just the fact that he was clean, but that he got there after his experiences. I think I've just been rooting for him.

Oh well, I'm certainly entertained by the show. That's good enough I suppose.
Old 07-30-12, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For some of us, hardcore fans, it's more of: It's OK if you don't like the show, it's not your kind of show, etc. But if you start watching the show and think it's good, and after the third season think it's just OK, well, that's just kind of weird for us, hardcore fans. For us it's like sex, it gets better with time.

But yeah, opinions and stuff.
Old 07-30-12, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I just started Season 1 last week out of boredom and man I was hooked. I ended up catching up the the current Season 5 episode 3 that aired Sunday night. I never tried it out before because for some reason I thought this show was that awful show with Ray Romano that was on recently. Something about midlife crisis or other crap. Needless to say, I was pleasantly surprised to find this show was nothing like what I thought.

Truly one of the best shows I have ever seen.

One thing,
Spoiler:
I was kinda suprised at the episode Aaron Paul submitted for his Emmy win. I actually thought the episode earlier in the season when he was in the hospital was better. In fact, after the scene where he rejects Walt's offer I was so convinced that was the scene that led to his win that I immediatley went to Wikipedia to check and was suprised to find out otherwise. Not that he wasn't great in Half Measures, I just thought that scene was off the charts good.
Old 07-30-12, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone else think this will end with Skylala being the one to kill Walt?
Old 07-30-12, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,027 Likes on 814 Posts

That to me would be terribly trite and soap-ish.
Old 07-30-12, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,038 Likes on 734 Posts

Yeah, it's totally got to be Walt Jr.

"WHERE'S MY FUCKING BREAKFAST?" Boom!
Old 07-30-12, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 918 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by andicus
Yeah, it's totally got to be Walt Jr.

"WHERE'S MY FUCKING BREAKFAST?" Boom!
Old 07-30-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
That to me would be terribly trite and soap-ish.
I didn't say I'd like it but you are right. I think and I may be wrong it will end in his death.
Old 07-30-12, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
Does anyone else think this will end with Skylala being the one to kill Walt?
I think she's reached the point where she will start thinking about and planning to kill him (i.e. fight or flight). I don't think she will succeed. I never thought I would feel sympathy for her, but being awoken by the sound of bullets and then walking into that living room with her infant daughter being subjected to that monster would have been too much.
Old 08-01-12, 03:59 PM

i just watch on Netfilx, and i can't enough of it! i am mad at myself i didn't started this a few weeks earlier so i could watch the new season
Old 08-02-12, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I finally finished season 4 yesterday then watched the first three episodes of season 5 that were on my DVR. Awesome show, as I'm sure I've said before somewhere in this thread.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.