TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Voice (NBC) Singing Competition -- Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-15, 08:59 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Re: The Voice (NBC) -- Season 9 Thread -- Premieres 9/21/15

Really odd that Emily Ann was Blake's highest iTunes charting artist and she needed his save to make it.
Old 11-11-15, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Gwen looked really hot on Monday's show.

How the fuck does Gavin Rossdale cheat on her with the fucking Nanny? Idiot. Good for Blake Shelton for hooking up with her.
This quote has been going around for a long time, I'll PC it..."it doesn't matter how hot she is, there's always some guy tired of nailing it". I'm a guy and I realize its true. I'm married 19 years now and love my wife for who she is. Sure, some of the spark is gone but its more about who you can relate to later in life.

Blake will be around for a year or two and then gone. He's a celebrity.

Now back on topic.
Old 11-12-15, 09:59 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not sure I'll be sticking around too much longer this season. Way too many generic white dudes stuck around. I'll probably quit if this becomes a sausage party like season 7. Jordan is unique, but the rest of these guys just don't stand out for me.

Braiden Sunshine somehow gets worse for me each performance. Part of this I blame on the coach. Gwen gets too invested in making over these contestants, but she just seems to shave of fall their interesting touches... poor Korin had this cute, quirky indie-pop vibe and now she's been awkwardly glammed into this 'grown up' look that makes her less memorable all around.
Old 11-12-15, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

Regina Love's cover of Hello was terrible. I was surprised at how much they were gushing over her. But, glad I wasn't alone feeling the way I did since she's gone.

Pharrell should have kept Riley. I thought she did really well.

Of the remaining contestants, Jordan is the most unique and stands out. Other than that, most of the remaining finalists are pretty generic.
Old 11-18-15, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk God

Jordan is pretty much my favorite to win it at this points. His performance on Monday was really good.

A little surprised that Mark Hood was eliminated tonight. I didn't think Korin and her quirky nerdy girl schtick was anything exciting. Mark took some chances and I thought he sounded better than her in that last performance.

I agree with DRG that Braiden Sunshine is awful.
Old 11-30-15, 11:04 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Braiden Sunshine may have had the worst performance in the history of the show tonight, that was just awful.

I really like Jeffery Austin.

"Hallelujah" has been done to death so you really need to knock it out of the park, I thought Jordan's mediocre at best.

Looking at itunes 5 of them are in the top 10 right now. Jordan, Barrett, Emily Ann, Madi, and Jeffery. Shelby is at #11.

They are all in the top 50 except for 1, Braiden Sunshine at #153

Last edited by MrX; 11-30-15 at 11:10 PM.
Old 12-08-15, 08:29 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Really surprised Barrett made the top 3. His version of "Ghost" was awful.

Emily was probably the only one that could have taken out Jordan next week just because of Blake's fans, but Barrett will probably take some from her.
Old 12-09-15, 07:28 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Jordan has been awesome, would love to see him win it and make an actual impact out there...
Old 12-16-15, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Congrats to Jordan

He absolutely nailed his last performance in the performance finale on Monday. 100% deserved to win. Whether he will sell any records or become known outside the show is a different story.

I did like Emily Ann too. I think she's practically a lock to get a deal with a country label, especially with Blake helping her.

Man, the 2 hour finale was extremely bloated. It didn't need to be more than 1 hour tops. But, it was good to see Usher back.

Gwen is going to be taking a season off and X-Tina will come back. I know Blake will be bummed.
Old 12-17-15, 05:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Man, the 2 hour finale was extremely bloated
Yeah I only caught a few eps here or there and the final. I think every contest show's final ends up being bloated now. The media companies want to stuff as many of their recording artist into a show as they can.

I know the voice gets knocked for not turning their winners into singing stars but this year they might have a better chance. The runner up looks like a record label's dream artist as far as over all marketability. Good looking, blond, tiny, really young and pretty good voice. She even has a country artist sounding name, she should do fine.

The winner is not really all that marketable in today's pop world but I think he has real chance to make a really good run at the contemporary christian and gospel market. Plus hey 100k for winning goes a loooong way in say Tennessee or Kentucky
Old 12-18-15, 09:24 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DeadLamb
I know the voice gets knocked for not turning their winners into singing stars but this year they might have a better chance. The runner up looks like a record label's dream artist as far as over all marketability. Good looking, blond, tiny, really young and pretty good voice. She even has a country artist sounding name, she should do fine.
I agree. It's interesting... looking at the list of releases from Voice contestants, only four have landed songs on the Billboard Hot 100 after the show.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Vo...Voice_releases

They're all Team Blake, and the top 3 are all young females.
Old 02-29-16, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk God

The Voice (NBC) -- Season 10 Thread -- Premieres 2/29/16

"THE VOICE"

"THE BLIND AUDITIONS PREMIERE" ORIGINAL

02/29/2016 (08:00PM - 10:00PM) (Monday) : CHRISTINA AGUILERA RETURNS TO JOIN COACHES ADAM LEVINE, BLAKE SHELTON AND PHARRELL WILLIAMS IN NBC'S EMMY AWARD-WINNING HIT MUSICAL COMPETITION SERIES- In the season premiere, the "blind auditions" are held in front of the celebrity panel of musician coaches, including Christina Aguilera, Adam Levine, Blake Shelton and Pharrell Williams, who each pick vocalists for their individual teams. The strongest vocalists from across the country compete to be selected by one of the coaches and fight for a chance to win the title of being named "The Voice." Carson Daly ("TODAY Show") hosts. TV-PG
Old 02-29-16, 10:37 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Re: The Voice (NBC) -- Season 10 Thread -- Premieres 2/29/16

Some really odd choices. The girl Blake picked up and the girl that played Curly Sue are the only two I can see making it far.
Old 03-01-16, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Seems really odd that a woman with those kind of connections would qualify for The Voice, but that seems kind of common.
Old 03-01-16, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Connections can be overrated. They can get you in the door, but you're still at the mercy of your talent and the opinion of the person in front of you. If you REALLY believe (like Kaley Cuoco's sister) that you're better than the opportunities you've been given, getting in front of new opinion makers (and America) can be a godsend. Unfortunately, it's usually that a given person didn't make it so far because either their talent isn't "good" enough or they are lacking in any number of other mystical departments that combine to make one "it".
Old 03-01-16, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Seems really odd that a woman with those kind of connections would qualify for The Voice, but that seems kind of common.
I thought the same thing when Elizabeth Daily was on the show last time. She's an actress, has actually recorded an album or two, and is known for her extensive voice-over career. Thought it was weird that someone as well-known as her would be able to be on a show like that.
Old 03-02-16, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Loved Mike Schiavo on night 1. Had a pretty unique sound for a white guy.

His little duet with Adam was cool.

Happy for that usher Bryan returning and getting picked by Christina. I when he psyched out Blake. But I think he won't survive the Battles.

Enjoyed Alisan Porter. Totally forgot about her, which is typical with most child stars. She pulled off Blue Bayou. I'll root for her.
Old 03-02-16, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RichC2
I know you're just making an assumption with no context, but she said that she was a recovering drug and alcohol addict. She left the business to recover and start a family. She said this is her last chance, plus she's 34 too.

For most agents or casting directors, she's probably over the hill or damaged goods. Understandable she would try to use this avenue to get back in the industry. The Voice has featured several former recording artists trying to get back in the industry in previous seasons.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-02-16 at 01:35 AM.
Old 03-14-16, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Just got caught up with the season.

Thought this guy, Ryan Quinn, was really good last week. Nailed every note in his song.

And Joe Maye made a good return. Much better than last season when he did "Word Up"

I liked his little duet with Christina at the end.
Old 03-21-16, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Caught up with last week's 2 episodes. Dang man, no one other than me has posted in the last 20 days. I guess this show has really fallen off the radar here.

I honestly think that Pharrell and Christina have the strongest teams this season. Maybe with the edge going to Christina.

My favorite performance in last week's battles was Bryan vs. Malik from team Christina. That was a pretty damn good performance of James Brown's old classic.

Hannah Huston also impressed me last week too.

Old 03-25-16, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk God

http://www.thewrap.com/miley-cyrus-a...the-voice-nbc/

This article is poorly written, but The Wrap is claiming that Miley Cyrus and Alicia Keys will be new coaches next season.

They say that Pharrell Williams is leaving the show.

Edit:

http://deadline.com/2016/03/the-voic...11-1201726763/

Deadline confirms that Miley is joining the show. Miley tweeted it as well. Sounds like as of right now she's replacing Christina for the Fall cycle. Apparently Gwen Stefani is not available because she's promoting her new album.

Last edited by DJariya; 03-25-16 at 08:55 PM.
Old 03-29-16, 06:54 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Was reading a story on Jordan Smith's album sales, he had thevhighest debut of any Voice alum, and it was interesting to read just how little support the winner gets from the show.

Craig Wayne Boyd, Josh Kaufman, and Jermaine Paul have never even recorded an album.
Old 03-29-16, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by MrX
Was reading a story on Jordan Smith's album sales, he had thevhighest debut of any Voice alum, and it was interesting to read just how little support the winner gets from the show.

Craig Wayne Boyd, Josh Kaufman, and Jermaine Paul have never even recorded an album.
An link to the story? I'd like to check it out...
Old 03-29-16, 10:38 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

https://www.yahoo.com/music/jordan-s...183001048.html
Old 03-30-16, 07:46 AM

Great, thanks.

I wonder with the demise of American idol, it opens up the Voice as the only game in town to focus on TV Music stars.

Jordan was legit, happy for him.

Solid season so far, but I am gonna miss Pharell, not sure of Miley as a decent judge or not.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.