Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Voice (NBC) Singing Competition -- Series Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-14, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Voice (NBC) -- Season 7 Thread -- Now with Gwen Stefani and Pharrell Williams

Those country folks are voting fanatics! Surprised Matt didn't win and I thought Chris was really bringing the momentum towards the end. I actually enjoyed his bring back numbers and his duet the best. Also enjoyed his duet with Adam. I don't get country music. To me, it's all the same melody and tone every time. The singers are all interchangeable, but I must be missing something because it is a force to be reckoned with.
Old 12-18-14, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: The Voice (NBC) -- Season 7 Thread -- Now with Gwen Stefani and Pharrell Williams

Originally Posted by DJariya
I will say this about The Voice, the show loses a lot of momentum once they go into the live shows. I noticed the ratings were its highest during the blind auditions and then the battle rounds. And then declined a lot these last few weeks during the live performances and results.
Yeah, they really need to fix this somehow. After all the banter & suspense building the teams, then guest coaching & battle rounds, it seems somewhat of a letdown when it settles into yet another routine singing show. I really enjoy the first half, but I've never made a season all the way to the end.
Old 12-18-14, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Back half of the season I enjoy the coaching segments. Pharell' s ere especially good this season. By the time the person comes on to sing I'm ready to add forward.
Old 12-19-14, 01:58 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
Back half of the season I enjoy the coaching segments. Pharell' s ere especially good this season. By the time the person comes on to sing I'm ready to add forward.
Ha, I'm the same way. Half the time they give away the big moment of the song in the rehearsal segment anyway.
Old 12-20-14, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Everything else is garnish to the singing meal for me. I watch singing competitions for the singing. Admittedly, the judge interplay on The Voice can be fun, but it's not why I tune in. As for the coaching, for the most part the singers are who they are. The coaches have a lot of knowledge, but just because you're Michael Jordan doesn't make you a good coach. And no matter how much MJ tells me how, I'm not dunking from the free throw line anytime soon. Pharrell is slightly different because as a prominent producer, he really is used to getting singers to step up.

Unfortunately, although I've recorded every episode, I'm horribly behind. Here's hoping I can catch up before American Idol comes back. From what I've seen, I don't remember thinking there was a breakout star in the group. I don't think I have any saved performances so far.
Old 02-23-15, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts
The Voice (NBC) -- Season 8 Thread -- Premieres 2/23/15

"THE BLIND AUDITIONS PREMIERE"

02/23/2015 (08:00PM - 10:00PM) (Monday)

CHRISTINA AGUILERA RETURNS TO JOIN COACHES ADAM LEVINE, BLAKE SHELTON AND PHARRELL WILLIAMS IN THE EIGHTH SEASON OF NBC'S EMMY AWARD-WINNING HIT MUSICAL COMPETITION SERIES- In the season premiere, the "blind auditions" are held in front of the celebrity panel of musician coaches, including Adam Levine, Blake Shelton, Christina Aguilera and Pharrell Williams, who each pick vocalists for their individual teams. The strongest vocalists from across the country compete to be selected by one of the coaches and fight for a chance to win the title of being named "The Voice." Carson Daly ("TODAY Show") hosts. TV-PG

Season 8 premieres tonight. Yes, 4 hours per week to fill up your DVRs yet again.

Christina Aguilera is back. I don't know what the status is of Gwen Stefani. Pharrell is back this season.
Old 02-23-15, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: The Voice (NBC) -- Season 8 Thread -- Premieres 2/23/15

I bailed after the blind auditions last season. I'll probably do the same this season. They're a blast to watch and after that the show is ridiculously padded (4 hours a week? Seriously?) and annoying.

Looking forward to the return of the cleavage...er Christina.
Old 02-23-15, 09:08 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts

@ Adam

Looks like people are figuring out that he always has the most talent and almost always blows it for them.
Old 02-24-15, 07:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Too funny. Blake's dig was hilarious, "Do we need to call Usher."

Christina seems more mello, but there are hints of diva.

The acapella singer from Jersey - really cool move from Pharrel, but she crashed and burned. I can't recall the last time an audion was that bad. And this show doesn't put through goofballs to blinds. Guess nerves got the best of her.

That last kid seems legit. I'll be curious to see how he can develop. He sounds very mature for 15.
Old 02-24-15, 08:37 AM

Season 8 premieres tonight. Yes, 4 hours per week to fill up your DVRs yet again.

Christina Aguilera is back. I don't know what the status is of Gwen Stefani. Pharrell is back this season.
sweeet
Old 02-24-15, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

So which coach won the last season?
Old 02-24-15, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
So which coach won the last season?
Blake won. It was a country artist Craig Wayne Boyd.
Old 02-24-15, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I bailed after the blind auditions last season. I'll probably do the same this season. They're a blast to watch and after that the show is ridiculously padded (4 hours a week? Seriously?) and annoying.

Looking forward to the return of the cleavage...er Christina.
I only watch the blind auditions and skip the Christina seasons, can't stand her.
Old 02-24-15, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I tried watching this for the nth time last night and I still can't stand it. They always gush about every person singing like they're the greatest singer ever it's sickening. And I've yet to hear anybody who's won this competition that actually became popular.

Lastly, wtf is Pharell doing as a coach? This is a guy who sang out of fucking tune with Stevie Wonder at the fucking Grammys for crying out loud.
Old 02-24-15, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Blake won. It was a country artist Craig Wayne Boyd.
Joy. Over/under on how many times he cites his four wins and/or brings out the trophies?
Old 02-24-15, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Pharell is probably one of the best coaches of the 8 (?) So far. He has a real knack for helping contestants find themselves and come up with something fresh. I will admit his singing leaves a lot to be desired.
Old 02-24-15, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Just finished watching night 1

Some decent, although unspectacular talent. That young girl Bryce was cute, but her voice lacked maturity. It sounded rough in some points. That was a really cool thing that Pharrell did going up on stage and singing with her. Someone that age could easily have their confidence shattered, but I think that helped boost her confidence a lot.

I liked the last kid Sawyer. He had a very bluesy vibe. And damn, he was only 15?
Old 02-25-15, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk God

Just finished night 2

Really liked the last girl Deanna Johnson. I do remember her from season 5. She improved a lot from then. She's really cute and her vocals are pretty unique.
Old 03-18-15, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk God

Anyone keeping up with this? I know The Voice can be a chore to watch, especially when you fall behind.

Just went through a 6 episode marathon over the last 2 days. A competition show like this is a horrendously difficult show to binge watch. 2 episodes in 1 week take almost 3 hours to watch. Imagine trying to binge 7 hours worth in 2 days. I'm worn out after my marathon. Going to try to avoid letting this build up again, but sometimes I don't have the time to watch these the night it airs.

These were probably my favorite performances from the Battle Rounds

<iframe src="//player.theplatform.com/p/NnzsPC/widget/select/media/LCEREVBj5ubA?carouselID=224286" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" seamless="seamless" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Briar vs Caitlin

<iframe src="//player.theplatform.com/p/NnzsPC/widget/select/media/mjqPwrUs9qc3?carouselID=224286" width="480" height="270" frameBorder="0" seamless="seamless" allowFullScreen></iframe>

Barry vs Jack

Barry has no chance in hell of winning it, but I do like his voice. It's very old school R&B which I like.
Old 03-18-15, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I've been watching with my kids. Never watched before last season and enjoyed pharell and Gwen. I don't mind Christina.

Adam and Blake play off each other well.

It's good family entertainment and some of the talent is amazing.

Now that adam from wantagh li, is gone from idol, I'm down on idol and focusing on the voice.

Some of the battle rounds have been crazy good.
Old 03-18-15, 07:16 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 258 Likes on 195 Posts

I record it and fast forward through the rehearsals. You can make it through 2 hours of the show in 30 minutes.
Old 03-28-15, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just thought I'd mention for "Voice" fans that Prince produced a CD for Voice alum Judith Hill and it's free for download for one day.

Judith Hill - Back In Time

There's a bit of controversy and Prince is being sued because reportedly Judith was signed to Sony. Apparently Prince is in "your shackles don't fit me" mode again as he seemingly didn't care about her existing contract. Courts, however, tend to care. We'll see.

NOTE: It's in *.wav files (not MP3 or FLAC) so it's about a 1.2GB download. Also, he used double quotes in a folder name, which is illegal under windows so you'll get errors unless you navigate into the folder, then extract.
Old 04-09-15, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have not watched the first results show from last night yet, but I didn't want to provide some thoughts on the season.

The contestant pool for those that are good is better than last year. That said, I think more than a few snuck through to the lives that didn't have any business. Likewise, nobody is my favorite. I'd classify most of them as serviceable, but not extraordinary.

Until the lives Christina has been much improved. Unfortunately on Tuesday she was back to random blathering and relating things back to herself or people she knows in the industry. The other coaches may liken people to artists they know, but ultimately make it about the contestant. Not the case with Christina.
Old 04-24-15, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk God

Finally caught up after being behind a few weeks

I know this show doesn't get much discussion here weekly due to the huge time commitment. 3-4 hours per week in addition to other shows is tough.

Not surprised that Josh Davis from Team Adam was saved. He was good and I think he appeals to women and older viewers.

I thought that Koryn Hawthorne from Team Pharrell had a hell of a week. Great performance.

Of the remaining contestants, I think Koryn is my favorite.
Old 04-24-15, 02:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 722 Likes on 589 Posts

Cee-Lo, Gwen Stefani, and Usher will return for 1 episode.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.