Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Voice (NBC) Singing Competition -- Series Discussion Thread

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Voice (NBC) Singing Competition -- Series Discussion Thread

Old 04-24-15, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: The Voice (NBC) -- Season 8 Thread -- Premieres 2/23/15

Did we ever find out why the one contestant from Philly had to drop out/leave?

I think Joshua was the correct save. That said, he needs to change it up. All of the bottom 3 kept singing the same type of songs. Gotta mix it up!
Old 04-24-15, 07:21 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Of the remaining contestants, I think Koryn is my favorite.
I think Sawyer and Meghan, because of the Blake factor, are the most likely winners.
Old 05-20-15, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, not surprised who won the show last night.

I think Sawyer got the young teen girl vote. At least it wasn't some vanilla country artist.

Would have preferred Meghan, but oh well.

Once again, I don't think Sawyer will amount to a star. None of the winners from the previous 7 seasons have a hit album. Maybe a few decent performing singles at best. Hell, I'm still waiting to hear about Jermaine Paul's debut album.

Another season, 28 episodes in the books. Geez, that's a lot.

I'm still going to watch it this Fall, but I'm leaning towards not doing anymore threads in the future. The interest just isn't there in this forum. I'm guessing this show is just too time consuming for most here. Finale week for those who didn't watch was 4 hours!!!

Last edited by DJariya; 05-20-15 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-20-15, 11:18 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

If you check itunes the morning after there is no reason to watch the results. I think Sawyer had the #2 and #4 song when I looked Tuesday morning. Meghan was at #5 and that was it for the multiplier.
Old 05-21-15, 08:25 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

I'm still going to watch it this Fall, but I'm leaning towards not doing anymore threads in the future. The interest just isn't there in this forum. I'm guessing this show is just too time consuming for most here. Finale week for those who didn't watch was 4 hours!!!
I've stuck with it, but I usually only comment on these sorts of things if the thread is bumped.

That said, I think they are really overdoing it with this show. At two seasons a year, I'm honestly shocked the bottom hasn't dropped out yet. I still enjoy the early rounds, but the show becomes so anticlimactic a few weeks into the live shows when it is made clear who the favorites are. The fanbases become so entrenched and the coaches never have a bad thing to say, so there's no drama at that point. Even the performances and song choices lack any real element of risk beyond the first few weeks of voting. I'm pretty sure the iTunes income source is the reason for this... safe choices are safer bets for singles.

As cheesy as the themes got on Idol, I'm starting to wish The Voice would throw more curveballs at the contestants like that to force them out of their comfort zones.
Old 05-21-15, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I really liked the CCR stuff with JC Fogarty. But I really only like the start of the show. Almost all the songs they do sound identical to me.
Old 05-21-15, 09:13 AM

I mainly watch this show as background while I am doing work. I rarely even learn the contestant's names.
Old 05-21-15, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I really really enjoyed Josh and Adam duo, Diamonds on the Soles of her Shoes. Such a great vibe to that song, and they looked liked they had a blast doing it.

I'm happy with the Sawyer win. Think he is a unique talent. His song choices were all old school songs that I was familiar with and had a true connection with. Old Man, by Neil Young. That was pretty cool.
Old 06-06-15, 11:56 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superman07 View Post
Did we ever find out why the one contestant from Philly had to drop out/leave?
Sad update: Anthony Riley killed himself on Tuesday.

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/s/anthony-r...034713402.html

It says in the story when he dropped out he entered a rehab for substance abuse
Old 09-21-15, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

The Voice (NBC) -- Season 9 Thread -- Premieres 9/21/15

GWEN STEFANI RETURNS TO JOIN COACHES ADAM LEVINE, BLAKE SHELTON AND PHARRELL WILLIAMS IN THE NINTH SEASON OF NBC'S EMMY AWARD-WINNING HIT MUSICAL COMPETITION SERIES- In the season premiere, the "blind auditions" are held in front of the celebrity panel of musician coaches, including Adam Levine, Blake Shelton, Gwen Stefani and Pharrell Williams, who each pick vocalists for their individual teams. The strongest vocalists from across the country compete to be selected by one of the coaches and fight for a chance to win the title of being named "The Voice." Carson Daly ("TODAY Show") hosts. TV-PG L

X-Tina is taking the season off. Gwen is back.

2 hours episodes twice a week at least for the next month. I know most here who sort of still watch this show are burnt out of it and the 2 hour running times are brutal.

There are rumors on the internet that Blake and Gwen have started secretly seeing each other since both are now divorced.
Old 09-22-15, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Re: The Voice (NBC) -- Season 9 Thread -- Premieres 9/21/15

Loved the fat kid Jordan who looks like Sylvester from Scorpion.

He really shocked me. That voice was so different and didn't match his appearance at all.

Felt bad for the young girl Alyssa who's step Dad died. She's really pretty, but she chose a pretty hard song for her age.

The last guy Barrett was cool. I liked his swagger and confidence. Perfect fit for Blake.
Old 09-22-15, 07:48 PM

Just catching up on DVR and that 15 year old girl with the braces was amazing!
Old 09-23-15, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Loved James Dupree, the last country guy who chose Adam. Great tone to his voice. Think he can do a lot with it. A lot of good voices so far. Too bad after this show is over, we will never hear of any of them again.
Old 09-23-15, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Did this series ever fix those stupid battle rounds to be less, uh, stupid?
Old 09-23-15, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by magiccmom View Post
Loved James Dupree, the last country guy who chose Adam. Great tone to his voice. Think he can do a lot with it. A lot of good voices so far. Too bad after this show is over, we will never hear of any of them again.
I liked James too. Very smooth tone.

However, it was so telegraphed that he was going to pick Adam. Especially after Adam got shut out by the last 2 contestants who he begged for.

Blake is way too country heavy on his team.

Not surprised they passed on the usher Brian. He had some pitch problems and it was a bad choice for him to take that Bruno Mars song.
Old 09-24-15, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Last guy of night 2 and blue haired chick, also from night 2, have been the standouts so far who I think can make it pretty far.

We'll probably watch most of the season, but the show does need a break or a chang in format. We watched some audition rounds from UK xfactor on axis tv as the summer was winding down and it was a nice change of pace. Sure some things are still telegraphed, but a lot less so than the Voice. Example: "coach x has been struggling to get team members all night long." Oh look, coach x got the next contestant!
Old 09-29-15, 09:36 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

I was when Adam told the twins at the end that song selection was a strength of his.
Old 09-29-15, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Monday's show had some pretty good contestants.

Liked:

Manny Cabo, who sang Here I go again

Lyndsey Elm, who sang Lips are Movin

Chris Crump, who sang Thinking out Loud was actually not bad either.

So far the 3 shows I've watched have been pretty enjoyable.

Edit: The last couple that performed Jubal and Amanda was pretty good. That marriage proposal was a surprise.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-29-15 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-02-15, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The young blonde singer who went to Blake, Manny Cabo, and the last pair from Tuesday's show have all stood out to me. No front runner is obvious yet, but there are some strong contestants.
Old 10-06-15, 10:41 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

No real stand out this season.

The girl from Alabama, who I liked a lot less hearing her performance again this morning, made a big mistake going with Adam. She seems like the front runner to make it to around the top 5 before Adam gives her a terrible song and she is eliminated.

I am sure team Gwen has to love seeing who the other three teams have as advisors and they get Selena Gomez.
Old 10-07-15, 09:39 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Season 10 news: Christina once again replacing Gwen in the spring, the other three will be back.
Old 10-07-15, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Last nights show was a 2 hour clip show, so you all can delete that if it's sitting on your DVR unwatched.

I really liked the last girl Sydney from Monday's show. Very mature vocals for her age.

I also liked Amy Vachal. I think she's part Asian. But I think she won't make it past the battle rounds.
Old 10-07-15, 11:28 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

I also liked Amy Vachal. I think she's part Asian. But I think she won't make it past the battle rounds.
The way they were all gushing over her I think she'll make it to the live shows, but I can't see her making it very far past that and certainly not winning it like the other coaches were saying.
Old 10-08-15, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anybody know what happened to that guy from a few seasons back who was picked, but dropped out before the battles? I think he was from Philadelphia.
Old 11-11-15, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Gwen looked really hot on Monday's show.

How the fuck does Gavin Rossdale cheat on her with the fucking Nanny? Idiot. Good for Blake Shelton for hooking up with her.

Ugh, the Adele Hello cover from Monday's show by Regina Love was pretty bad. Very rough

Last edited by DJariya; 11-11-15 at 08:15 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.