Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sherlock (BBC/PBS) Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-12, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Sherlock (BBC) begins tonight on PBS...

I didn't really feel the episode that much. I think the premier was so good, that it made this otherwise ok episode feel less than stellar to me. I'm guessing my biggest problem with this episode was that I prefer when Sherlock is at wits with another competent genius person. Whether that's Moriarty, The Woman, or the cab driver from the first season -- those are the episodes that I groove on most.
Old 01-10-12, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gatiss...
Old 01-10-12, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Hounds was probably my least favorite of the series so far. I can appreciate what they were trying to do with it but it just didn't grab me.
Old 01-10-12, 03:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

I found it to be pretty funny, especially with Sherlock acting nuts with the harpoon. But overall, this episode was a small step back from the last one.
Old 01-11-12, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
Spoiler:

Don't worry, I hear George Washington is going to be removed from the Dollar bill any day now..

In any case the episode doesn't romanticize terrorism in the slightest.

Spoiler:

Remove the sexiness of Adler. Instead have Adler as a man.
You have a person who revealed state secrets for no reason to another criminal. Like the joker. Just to have fun. This persons actions most likely will result in the death of many innocent people.

What makes this person worth saving?
Or made an object of desire?

Old 01-12-12, 06:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

I agree - this was pretty good, but paled in comparison to the premier.

The final scene was weird.
Spoiler:
was that supposed to be Moriarty, or somebody else obsessed with him? Likewise, was Moriarty the face he saw in the mask at the end and said, "Not now. Not here."?
Old 01-12-12, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hero

To your spoilerized questions: yes and yes.
Old 01-12-12, 12:19 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 98 Posts

Really enjoyed this. Loved the atmosphere, nice to be out of London.
Old 01-15-12, 09:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What an incredible finale. I don't know how the ending can be explained, though I'm sure they'll come up with something.

My favorite episode of the show so far. Wow.
Old 01-15-12, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Can't wait! But I have to wait until my 11 year-old daughter gets back from her mom's house. She loves the series too and I just can't bear to watch it without her.
Old 01-15-12, 10:56 PM

Can somebody please explain the ending for todays episode. it's going to be a few days before I can watch and considering the wailing and weeping I'm reading on Twitter and Tumblr I'm not sure if I want to..

Moffett already confirmed a third season/series so what I have read couldn't be correct, Right?
Old 01-16-12, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, I guess we know what he needed Molly for. Though I thought they'd leave the ending a lot more vague than they did.

I do admit it was a lot darker than I usually like, but props to Moffat and the actor whp played Moriarty. What an amazing character he turned out to be.

Last edited by Panda Phil; 01-16-12 at 07:15 AM.
Old 01-16-12, 07:08 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts

"Reichenbach Falls" was excellent, the best of the three.
Old 01-16-12, 08:18 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
https://twitter.com/#!/steven_moffat/status/158680970130751488

Originally Posted by draven31
Can somebody please explain the ending for todays episode. it's going to be a few days before I can watch and considering the wailing and weeping I'm reading on Twitter and Tumblr I'm not sure if I want to..

Moffett already confirmed a third season/series so what I have read couldn't be correct, Right?
Don't know exactly what you've read - and why it'd be replete with wailing/weeping from anyone that'd been watching "properly" - but I would suggest that you don't spoil your fun by seeking/reading too much by way of explanations in advance of watching the episode for yourself...
Spoiler:
...Following a mobile/cell phone conversation twixt Holmes & Watson from top and bottom of a tall building (Bart's Hospital), a body fell from said structure apparently landing face down. Via news headlines and sequences with Watson and Mrs Hudson, we were told that Holmes had committed suicide in shame at being found to be a fraud. We didn't immediately get a close up on the fallen body's face, Watson was dazed at the time due to an "accidental" collision with a cyclist, and we didn't learn precisely what it was that (Bart's morgue-worker) Molly had been asked to do for Holmes (or for that matter, why the kidnapped young girl had earlier seemed familiar with/scared of Holmes' countenance). I'm not even fully sure that the "IOU" motif was fully explained but I could easily have overlooked this. The final graveside scene included a cut away to Holmes observing in the background...
Old 01-16-12, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Where does Reichenbach Falls compare to the series as a whole? Better than both season premieres?
Old 01-16-12, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

I completely flaked on the second season broadcast.

Guess I need to look for repeats on my local station or wait for Netflix streaming later this year.
Old 01-16-12, 12:28 PM

Re: https://twitter.com/#!/steven_moffat/status/158680970130751488

Originally Posted by benedict
Don't know exactly what you've read - and why it'd be replete with wailing/weeping from anyone that'd been watching "properly" - but I would suggest that you don't spoil your fun by seeking/reading too much by way of explanations in advance of watching the episode for yourself...
Spoiler:
...Following a mobile/cell phone conversation twixt Holmes & Watson from top and bottom of a tall building (Bart's Hospital), a body fell from said structure apparently landing face down. Via news headlines and sequences with Watson and Mrs Hudson, we were told that Holmes had committed suicide in shame at being found to be a fraud. We didn't immediately get a close up on the fallen body's face, Watson was dazed at the time due to an "accidental" collision with a cyclist, and we didn't learn precisely what it was that (Bart's morgue-worker) Molly had been asked to do for Holmes (or for that matter, why the kidnapped young girl had earlier seemed familiar with/scared of Holmes' countenance). I'm not even fully sure that the "IOU" motif was fully explained but I could easily have overlooked this. The final graveside scene included a cut away to Holmes observing in the background...
oh excellent. thanks..
Old 01-16-12, 06:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Loved this season. All three episodes. I thought season one was disappointing aside from the pilot, but these episodes raised the game.
Old 01-16-12, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

Originally Posted by B.A.
I completely flaked on the second season broadcast.

Guess I need to look for repeats on my local station or wait for Netflix streaming later this year.
It hasn't aired yet in the United States. It airs this summer. Apparently we have alot of posters here from Great Britain.
Old 01-16-12, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Wow, that was a great episode. Can't believe we have like...who knows how much longer to wait but this was an excellent season.
Old 01-17-12, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hopefully that is the last time we will have to put up with Moriarty - terrible portrayal which didn't really help this weak episode. So far only the two season openers have been class while the other 4 have struggled to match up. I'm not sure if that's a problem with this adaptation or the source material.
Old 01-17-12, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by Burnt Thru
Hopefully that is the last time we will have to put up with Moriarty - terrible portrayal which didn't really help this weak episode. So far only the two season openers have been class while the other 4 have struggled to match up. I'm not sure if that's a problem with this adaptation or the source material.
I actually like the OTT portrayal of Moriarty. Took a while but I warmed to it. And I loved the 'stuntcasting' of Katherine Parkinson.
Old 01-17-12, 10:53 AM
Mod Emeritus

[Yeah... right]

Originally Posted by DJariya
It hasn't aired yet in the United States. It airs this summer. Apparently we have alot of posters here from Great Britain.
As a BBC licence-paying Brit, it sometimes strikes me that those of my transatlantic cousins who piggybank on my fees - and watch the shows earlier than they perhaps ought - should ensure that they do the honourable thing and buy the DVDs on their eventual release, thereby enriching BBC Enterprises and helping fund future UK programming...
Old 01-17-12, 11:44 AM

Re: [Yeah... right]

Originally Posted by benedict
As a BBC licence-paying Brit, it sometimes strikes me that those of my transatlantic cousins who piggybank on my fees - and watch the shows earlier than they perhaps ought - should ensure that they do the honourable thing and buy the DVDs on their eventual release, thereby enriching BBC Enterprises and helping fund future UK programming...
In most cases I buy the DVDs, even the ones never released in R1.
Old 01-17-12, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: [Yeah... right]

Originally Posted by wendersfan
In most cases I buy the DVDs, even the ones never released in R1.
Hmm. You can rent the DVD from Netflix...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.