Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Apprentice (Original version) -- Season 10 Thread -- Premieres 09/16/10

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-10, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts
Re: The Apprentice (Original version) -- Season 10 Thread -- Premieres 09/16/10

Thankfully this won't be a drawn-out, two-hour live television extravaganza.
Old 12-06-10, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
Of the two biggest blunders (Brandy's cheap golf sets as gifts vs. Clint's misspelled promo materials), I think Brandy's is less potentially crippling and thus, she wins. Plus, having golf pro Liza gives them a major advantage.

And didn't think it possible, but Liza ended up being my favorite contestant. She wasn't as talented as the others, but she's got a super interesting back story that I wish they'd explored more. (And yeah, I get that she screwed up by suggesting $500 golf sets as gifts for these guys who probably own $1000 putters, but I chalk that up to her being naive, not dumb.)
Actually, I think it's been clear for the last few weeks that there's no way for Clint to lose. Based on previous "Final Challenges", the mistakes are always blown out of proportion to create a cliff-hanger, and it always easily resolved. Its just that this is Television and Cliff makes a better story, -the "Heartland' Family Man who's had a few bad breaks but he "reads" as a decent guy. Brandy is attractive and competent and went to all the right schools but she's also pretty generic. In the "Real" world Brandy would win hands down, but for Televsion, its going to be Cliff.
Old 12-13-10, 06:57 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think I fell asleep toward the end of this. I've never seen a finale with less life or excitement in it.
Old 12-13-10, 09:03 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wonder if they had originally planned on going with the live finale but, due to the bottom-dwelling ratings, they just decided to film a quickie boardroom finale to get it over with?
Old 12-13-10, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

I couldn't have been more disappointed with the finale or the decision. The choice is certainly in line with the way things go today, - the attractive young woman beats the middle-aged guy, -but I tend to agree with a friend of mine who's in a similar situation to Cliff, -that choosing Brandy was kind of a slap in the face.

I was particularly offended by how the episode played out, -Cliff gets "fired" and they essentially drop him through a trap door. Brandy goes back to join the rest of the cast to celebrate her win and Cliff is nowhere to be seen.

Of course, all of this is because the show bombed. I'm betting that if they had followed tradition and had a "Live" finale with a studio audience, -considering how the show built up Cliff as a hard-working guy struggling to save his family while Brandy was portrayed as young and attractive, -the decision would have gone the other way.

Last edited by DWilson; 12-13-10 at 12:23 PM.
Old 12-13-10, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What is the reason they gave for Brandy winning anyways?

I think they got rid of Clint so quickly so they wouldn't have to explain.
Old 12-13-10, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by DWilson
I couldn't have been more disappointed with the finale or the decision. The choice is certainly in line with the way things go today, - the attractive young woman beats the middle-aged guy, -but I tend to agree with a friend of mine who's in a similar situation to Cliff, -that choosing Brandy was kind of a slap in the face.

I was particularly offended by how the episode played out, -Cliff gets "fired" and they essentially drop him through a trap door. Brandy goes back to join the rest of the cast to celebrate her win and Cliff is nowhere to be seen.

Of course, all of this is because the show bombed. I'm betting that if they had followed tradition and had a "Live" finale with a studio audience, -considering how the show built up Cliff as a hard-working guy struggling to save his family while Brandy was portrayed as young and attractive, -the decision would have gone the other way.
+1. Worst finale ever -- and I genuinely liked this season.

I guess I don't understand why Trump couldn't have found a role for Clint in his organization. He made that beeyootch Stephanie a liason for the Trump Org.
Old 12-13-10, 01:17 PM

if they going do the finale this way, why have a lame duck finale? you will probably never see normal Apprentice anytime soon, and that suck because i like normal Apprentice over Celebrity Apprentice
Old 12-13-10, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rob V
+1. Worst finale ever -- and I genuinely liked this season.

I guess I don't understand why Trump couldn't have found a role for Clint in his organization. He made that beeyootch Stephanie a liason for the Trump Org.
We don't know that they didn't do that for Clint.

They didn't do one of those bits that show what the "loser" is doing after the show so its entirely possible he got a job somewhere in the organization and they just didn't mention it.
Old 12-13-10, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did anyone else notice how out of shape The Donald was while he was golfing? Makes you realize how much sitting behind that big desk hid his weight.

Ivanka got really big there for a while too, but in the last episode it seemed she got a little better.
Old 12-13-10, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I only picked this show up half way through the season out of boredom, but I'm glad Brandy won. She genuinely seemed more competent and professional. I've worked with people who have Clint-like personalities and they annoy the hell out of me.
Old 12-14-10, 05:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DWilson

Shows how bad this season was - You didn't remember what his name was...
Old 12-14-10, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Aphex Twin
What is the reason they gave for Brandy winning anyways?
Donald seemed to go gaga over her answer to the question, "Why should I hire you?". Clint's answer was run-of-the-mill, I've got the bigger dick while her answer was original.