TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Craig Ferguson Appreciation Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-10, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Re: The Craig Ferguson Appreciation Thread

Originally Posted by shaun3000
Well you can only fake liking a band in so many ways. Letterman has good taste in music and it is quite obvious when he really likes a band:
<object width='400' height='300'><param name='movie' value='http://www.cbs.com/e/PMZn0ZshOfdkqPhyLc_5uASnrFZKAgkd/cbs/1/'></param><param name='allowFullScreen' value='true'></param><param name='allowScriptAccess' value='always'></param><param name='FlashVars' value='config=http://www.cbs.com/thunder/player/1_0/partner/cbs/skin_cbs_norelated'></param><embed width='400' height='300' src='http://www.cbs.com/e/PMZn0ZshOfdkqPhyLc_5uASnrFZKAgkd/cbs/1/' allowfullscreen='true' allowScriptAccess='always' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' FlashVars='config=http://www.cbs.com/thunder/player/1_0/partner/cbs/skin_cbs_norelated'></embed></object>
Wow, that was cool. "The Heavy"...I must hear more of this band.

Just back from Youtube. "The Heavy" is tight!!

Last edited by Giantrobo; 01-30-10 at 10:17 PM.
Old 01-30-10, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Wow, that was cool. "The Heavy"...I must hear more of this....
http://www.myspace.com/theheavy73
album is out now. You can prob find it at Hot Topic
Old 01-30-10, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

And iTunes and Amazon. Or, wait, was that a joke?
Old 01-31-10, 02:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
http://www.myspace.com/theheavy73
album is out now. You can prob find it at Hot Topic
Hmmm either a lame joke or you didn't even listen to the band. Doubt you'd find them at Hot Topic.
Old 01-31-10, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Shamus McAnally

(As an aside, as I watch the DVR'ed episode the next day, it always gets the last few seconds of Letterman. It's usually him coming over to the stage after a musical guest has completed their song. The same robotic, disingenuous comments when he comes over just make me sick. I understand you might not like the artist/song, but just repeating the same schtick every night seems so hokey. I never really had a problem with Dave, but seeing this moment 5 times a week is just bleh.)
These comments make me think you don't really watch his show. Letterman often talks up the musical artist before they play, often making a funny comment that clearly makes it a challenge for the singer to not crack up, he's been supportive of countless bands, he used to joke when Concrete Blonde came on that Johnette was his ex-wife, same thing with Natalie Merchant, he established a close relationship with Pearl Jam/Eddie back when they were still in the grungy phase of not wanting to do anything that seemed commercial, he loves the Foos and calls Everlong his favorite song, he used to be very supportive of Mary-Chapin Carpenter (diffferent genre from what he typically seems to really like), he fawns all over Karen O when the YYYs are on, and the list goes on and on.

I have no idea what show you're watching.
Old 01-31-10, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ardathbey
Hmmm either a lame joke or you didn't even listen to the band. Doubt you'd find them at Hot Topic.
i only mention this because the link for the cd on their myspace is to shockwave.com, and thats Hot Topics general suplier, so ya never know
Old 01-31-10, 11:49 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
These comments make me think you don't really watch his show.
I think you completely missed what he was saying.

When he DVR's Craig Ferguson's show, it records the last 10-30 seconds of Letterman's show. My DVR does the same, and i feel exactly the same way about Letterman's way of closing out the show. The comments to the band are, most of the time, very generic. He rarely says anything that sounds genuine.

Again, that's only the last 10-30 seconds when the band has just finished, so it's definitely not a fair representation of the entire show (which neither of us are claiming, I think).
Old 01-31-10, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dolphinboy
These comments make me think you don't really watch his show.

I have no idea what show you're watching.

Really? What gave it away? It certainly couldn't have been the whole "last few seconds" part of my comment.

Seriously, that comment wasn't meant to get any Dave fans up in arms and feel the need to come to his defense. Maybe my comments were a little strong, but it was an observation I made after seeing Friday's episode. Like I said, every night, the DVR catches the last 10-15 seconds of his show, which is him coming out in the same monotone "Great job, nice to meet you, thanks for coming, what is that" etc, etc. And it just gets old hearing it. I enjoy his show once in a great while. No problem with him. I wasn't making an assumption about him, the rest of his show, his musical taste, etc. Just a comment about the last 15 seconds of his show and what I perceived to be a repetitive drone. I really have no idea about what he does beforehand. I watch Craig. (And much as I love the show, very occasionally find something I don't like too.)

That'll teach me to talk about Dave in the Craig Ferguson thread!

Back to your regularly scheduled Late Late Show talk.

Last edited by Shamus McAnally; 01-31-10 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-31-10, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

I understood ya fine Shamus and I agree with you.
Old 02-01-10, 05:14 PM

^ Danke schoen Michael. (***Edit - And I just read SM's comments. That was exactly what I was trying to say. Thanks.)

I just decided to delete the Alicia Witt and Adrienne Palicki episodes, but I'm giving them one more watch before they go. I just watched the Adrienne interview again. Regardless of how stunningly hot she looks (or how enticing her laugh sounds), I just can't wait to see what Craig pulls out of his hat this week. Honestly, depending on the catalogue of guests each week, the monologue overshadows the interviews quite often. But last week, especially T-Th, I think the interview segments were absolutely the best part of the shows. (Not that the monologues, mail, etc weren't top-notch, just like normal.)

In the pantheon of current late night hosts, Craig seems to stand out from everyone else. I'll admit I watch everyone else very rarely, but no one's kept me interested long enough to watch (DVR) like Craig and the Late Late Show.

I'm not crazy about waiting until Friday for a new episode. (But tonight is the Jim Parsons one. I'll probably watch that one and maybe Jason Segel's (Thursday) too.)

Last edited by Shamus McAnally; 02-03-10 at 03:31 PM. Reason: Learning how to read
Old 02-03-10, 03:39 AM
dg3
Banned

Ferguson has always seemed a little too smug for my tastes. Seems like a nice of enough person, he just preens too much.

But I've watched a lot of Conan over the years, and I've heard the same complaint about him. I guess it's just whoever you're used to is the one you like.

Last edited by dg3; 02-03-10 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-03-10, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by dg3
Ferguson has always seemed a little too smug for my tastes. Seems like a nice of enough person, he just preens too much.

But I've watched a lot of Conan over the years, and I've heard the same complaint about him. I guess it's just however you're used to is the one you like.
That is said a lot better than if dg2 said it. He was very abrasive.
Old 02-06-10, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

Just watched Friday's show, and I found his interview with Claire Danes (that they taped in mid-Jan) very entertaining. I wonder if they will get her father-in-law (the British moral philosopher in leather pants) on the show.

Of course, Kristen Bell will be on show this week so we have that to look forward to.
Old 02-06-10, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Just watched Friday's show, and I found his interview with Claire Danes (that they taped in mid-Jan) very entertaining. I wonder if they will get her father-in-law (the British moral philosopher in leather pants) on the show.

Of course, Kristen Bell will be on show this week so we have that to look forward to.
Ah thats why there was a little laugh and kind of a wink when Craig said something to the likes of "her movie airs..tomorrow, February 6th.." wonder why they taped the interview a month ago to air it last night?

BTW, Bell appears wed
Old 02-07-10, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 154 Posts

Ah thats why there was a little laugh and kind of a wink when Craig said something to the likes of "her movie airs..tomorrow, February 6th.." wonder why they taped the interview a month ago to air it last night?

BTW, Bell appears wed
He actually joked about that interview in one of his monologues (that if in a few weeks he talked to Claire Danes...). I imagine it was probably when she was available, and they set it to air to coincide with her HBO movie.

I know he pretapes stuff from time to time. It works well when they decide to go an extra segment with a guest like with Jason Segal a few weeks ago. They just taped the interview with Shiri Appleby (the second guest) and aired it the next week. It's a good way to get around having to bump guests.
Old 02-07-10, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I find it pretty funny that when he does the pre-taped interviews he makes it pretty obvious that's what's happening. And still they always make him change his tie to something else so they can match it on the night when it airs- so no one will notice. But of course, he'll comment about the tie and say something like how it's obviously the tie he's been wearing all night (wink) and no way would he have worn it a couple weeks ago just to do one interview.

BTW, I just finished reading "American On Purpose" and it's a great read. A very interesting book. Lots of his humor and some pretty poignant stuff too as he goes into his alcohol and drug use and his various relationships. As soon as I finished I got his novel "Between the Bridge and the River" as well. I haven't started that one yet but I'm looking forward to it.
Old 02-07-10, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 912 Likes on 647 Posts

For your own personal fun: Wavy
Old 02-07-10, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
For your own personal fun: Wavy

"Whadda-do, everybody!"

Last edited by Fist of Doom; 02-07-10 at 07:36 AM.
Old 02-07-10, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mwbmis

I know he pretapes stuff from time to time. It works well when they decide to go an extra segment with a guest like with Jason Segal a few weeks ago. They just taped the interview with Shiri Appleby (the second guest) and aired it the next week. It's a good way to get around having to bump guests.
i was wondering, in the Jason Segal episode, he kept teasing that he would hold off reading a specific email till the monday episode (as it was a friday show), my question is, did he read that email on the monday show?
Old 02-07-10, 02:40 PM

Loved the Claire Danes interview. She was laughing the whole time, seemed caught off guard a bit, but rolled with Craig and made it a wonderful segment.

I think it'd be great if they got her FIL on and he wore the getup that Craig had described. If Craig had no prior knowledge, I could see that getting a genuine laugh out of Craig.

Seems this show just sets up its own future punchlines so well, not to mention capitalizing on the ones dropped into their laps.
Old 02-07-10, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i was wondering, in the Jason Segal episode, he kept teasing that he would hold off reading a specific email till the monday episode (as it was a friday show), my question is, did he read that email on the monday show?
No. He forgot, then a couple days later in the email segment it was clipped together with another email from some wondering why he didn't read the teased email. Er, I wish I could remember what happened after that... I'm thinking it was pretty anti-climatic and he quickly moved on.
Old 02-08-10, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Craig's Twitter: http://twitter.com/craigyferg

Loved the Mythbusters cover on his phone.
Old 02-08-10, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

he's updating right now. Yes, yes you can say fuck.
Old 02-08-10, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Is it really him? I know RUSH's(the group) FB page got hacked a few weeks ago.
Old 02-09-10, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Watching Letterman, he said Craig [badly dubbed-in] Ferguson [/bad] is next." It threw me off, so I rewinded. It looked like he said Kilborn.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.