Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

"Shark Tank" (ABC) - Series Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-09, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 798 Likes on 566 Posts
"Shark Tank" (ABC) - Series Thread

Anyone here watching this? It's a reality show about entrepreneurs approaching a panel of investors to ask for seed money for their inventions/ideas.

I think it's not bad. It's a ripoff of a Canadian show called "Dragon's Den", which is much better (I think), and which is itself a derivation of a British show of the same name.
ABC must like the Canadian version, because it has snagged two of the Canadian "dragons" for its five-person panel. What I have found so far is that the two Canadians hog the spotlight on the show, with the other panelists deferring to their "experience". The other panelists are actually quite lame, but maybe they will improve with time as they grow more comfortable with the format (if the show isn't cancelled before that happens).
Of course the one guy, Kevin O'Leary, is considered the show's villain (he plays the same role on "Dragon's Den"), a guy purely and solely interested in how a deal will benefit him. Don't come to him with any sob stories about how this invention/innovation was inspired by your late father; he'll eat you alive and spit you out.
The other Canadian, Robert Herjavec, is O'Leary's foil, and they will often argue over the morals and ethics of O'Leary's avarice and cruelty.
On "Dragon's Den", O'Leary has four much stronger (equals, actually) co-panelists, the interplay is much more passionate and interesting, and the show is put together in a more inspired, eccentric fashion. But we're not talking about that show.

Edit: Sorry about typo in title. Mod, please fix if you see this request.

Last edited by Norm de Plume; 09-16-09 at 04:53 PM.
Old 09-16-09, 08:57 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
re: "Shark Tank" (ABC) - Series Thread

The show's been on for 6 weeks already, it aired on Sunday nights at 9pm. Now they've moved it to Tuesdays for the fall, with new episodes starting in a few weeks..

As an eutrepreneur myself (and having dealt with VCs in the past), I really enjoy the show, even if it's a bit dramatic..
Old 09-16-09, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, I didn't realize it had been airing for that long. I thought it was in its third or fourth week.
Old 09-16-09, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 214 Likes on 189 Posts

I don't believe its a rip-off, but an adaptation, much like "Hell's Kitchen"...
Old 09-17-09, 05:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This show has been on in Canada for a few years, called "Dragon's Den" with a few of the same entrepreneurs.
Old 09-17-09, 08:51 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's also a UK Dragon's Den that has been playing on BBC America for a while now. I think this one precedes the Canadian version.

Okay... Wikipedia reports this concept originated in Japan.
"Dragons' Den series have been produced in numerous different countries. Apart from in Japan, where the original show format was maintained, in all other locations the show names, structures, and styles are based upon the UK version."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragons%27_Den
Old 09-17-09, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by Norm de Plume
Of course the one guy, Kevin O'Leary, is considered the show's villain (he plays the same role on "Dragon's Den"), a guy purely and solely interested in how a deal will benefit him. Don't come to him with any sob stories about how this invention/innovation was inspired by your late father; he'll eat you alive and spit you out.

Love that guy. I enjoy the show. ABC must love this show since I figure it costs them next to nothing to produce.
Old 09-17-09, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Love that guy. I enjoy the show. ABC must love this show since I figure it costs them next to nothing to produce.
Really? I find him despicable, although I'm sure he's exaggerating his asshole-ness for the show's sake. He must be.
Old 09-17-09, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really? I find him despicable, although I'm sure he's exaggerating his asshole-ness for the show's sake. He must be.
I'd be an asshole, too. If I'm an investor instead of a good Samaritan, I want a return on my money, not a chance to give someone a shot at their dreams.

I find it hysterical how these entrepreneurs value their companies. Some of these people have had literally NO SALES, but value their companies at over a million dollars. I understand that people who put so much blood, sweat and tears into their business would be unwilling to give up half or 51% of their company, but I'd rather make 49% of a lot than 85-90% of a little.

How bout that guy who wanted to implant bluetooth devices inside people's heads?
Old 09-17-09, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RoyalTea
I'd be an asshole, too. If I'm an investor instead of a good Samaritan, I want a return on my money, not a chance to give someone a shot at their dreams.

I find it hysterical how these entrepreneurs value their companies. Some of these people have had literally NO SALES, but value their companies at over a million dollars. I understand that people who put so much blood, sweat and tears into their business would be unwilling to give up half or 51% of their company, but I'd rather make 49% of a lot than 85-90% of a little.

No shit. It's fucking capitalism, not charity.
Old 09-17-09, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fair enough, but you don't have to completely abandon any hint of humanity. The guy puts the worst possible face to capitalism. He's a caricature of everything there is to hate about it.
With a lot of these people, I don't know why they need these Shark folks at all. Many are already quite well-established and have plenty of sales. Don't give away 51% of your company for a measly 200 large. Continue going it alone and slowly building, as you have been. Where's the benefit to going on these shows? Maybe the free publicity for their products and businesses.
Old 09-17-09, 07:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Fair enough, but you don't have to completely abandon any hint of humanity. The guy puts the worst possible face to capitalism. He's a caricature of everything there is to hate about it.

Nobody would watch the show without him. I sure wouldn't. As you said - it's a caricature. It's not real. Everyone loves a good villian.
Old 09-17-09, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^^I suppose that's true, and maybe a sadder reflection of us viewers (including me) than him.
Old 09-17-09, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

some of these inventors don't have a chance in hell. I'm not sure if his assholeness will discourage them or strengthen their resolve, but some people need to be told the blunt truth as to how fucking stupid their ideas are.

edit: changed investors to inventors (or entrepenuers)

Last edited by RoyalTea; 09-17-09 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-17-09, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk God

some of these investors don't have a chance in hell. I'm not sure if his assholeness will discourage them or strengthen their resolve, but some people need to be told the blunt truth as to how fucking stupid their ideas are.
Old 09-17-09, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Royal Tea
some people need to be told the blunt truth as to how fucking stupid their ideas are.
That's something we can all agree on. He's much nastier on the Canadian show, probably because it's on CBC, which has more latitude than the Amnets.
Old 09-17-09, 09:06 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

I definitely like Dragon's Den more than Shark Tank, but they're both fun to watch. They should both be on every day!
Old 10-02-09, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Good episode this week. The silly putty guy did really well. He went in wanting $125K for 25% and got $300K for 51%. That's the first time I've seen someone get higher than what they asked for originally. Seems like a very good product.

at how all the guys were falling all over the grill-charm woman.

I hope when they do future "where are they now" segments, they do some people who later succeeded after being turned down by the sharks. Assuming that happens.
Old 10-02-09, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Those 2 guys who wanted to open up a circus / side show resturant in times square were nuts!!

They were only asking for like $200k or some small amount.. that would cover the rent alone on 25,000sqft in times square for one month.
Old 10-02-09, 09:45 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Great episode.
I can tell that Kevin O'Leary is all about the crazy one-liners: "Do you love money as much as I do?" I'm sure he only makes comments like that so they can throw them into the commercials.

Robert is still my favourite of the 5.
Old 10-03-09, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't for the life of me figure out why they were fighting over that grill tags thing. Who the hell wants some metal button embedded in his steak? And $19.95 for 4? Are you kidding, lady? Maybe I'm missing something.
Old 10-07-09, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by DRG
There's also a UK Dragon's Den that has been playing on BBC America for a while now. I think this one precedes the Canadian version.

Okay... Wikipedia reports this concept originated in Japan.
"Dragons' Den series have been produced in numerous different countries. Apart from in Japan, where the original show format was maintained, in all other locations the show names, structures, and styles are based upon the UK version."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragons%27_Den
Just watched Dragon's Den (I presume the UK original) on BBCA. I can see where Shark Tank came from.

There's more balance here when it comes to truthfulness (brutal meanness ) in this version than Shark Tank, but there's no Kevin.

The other problem with DD is that it looks like they are meeting in someone's basement whereas ST appears to be in a Manhattan power office.

Last edited by Red Dog; 10-07-09 at 07:35 PM.
Old 10-07-09, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Throcks.
Old 10-07-09, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

http://www.cbc.ca/dragonsden/video.html
Old 10-22-09, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Another good ep this week. at the Uro Club. The shark on the left (I can't remember his name) actually invested in something....barely! But damn, he is so much more conservative than the others.

I'm a bit baffled by the value of the college recruiting website. I completely didn't understand the patented mobile blocker product. The website automatically blocks/warns the coach calling a recruits number? They did a great job though to get $600K from Kevin and Robert.

I might have to go check out that BBQ restaurant that those guys from a previous episode opened - it's closeby.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.