Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Jon & Kate announcement: 06/22/09

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: What's the announcement going to be?
Divorce
39.73%
Separation
26.03%
Quitting the Show
24.66%
Other (explain)
9.59%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Jon & Kate announcement: 06/22/09

Old 06-22-09, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Re: Jon & Kate announcement: 06/22/09

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I can understand hating the show, but hoping for them to get a divorce is pretty shitty.
I feel bad for the kids, but they decided to put their home life on the national stage and whore out their "cute family" to make money. I have zero sympathy for anything that happens to either of the adults.

I just wish they cared as much about their family as they did about being celebrities.
Old 06-22-09, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Ratings heaven. Expect more.

The C in TLC stands for Circus.
Old 06-22-09, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well this didn't take long to get ugly:

Originally Posted by CNN
Just when it seemed we were finally getting answers in the Jon and Kate saga, there’s more. Minutes after their special “announcement” episode aired, Kate and Jon released individual statements implying there’s much more to the story!

Kate Gosselin released the following statement to PEOPLE magazine Monday night:

“Over the course of this weekend, Jon’s activities have left me no choice but to file legal procedures in order to protect myself and our children. While there are reasons why it was appropriate and necessary for me to initiate this proceeding, I do not wish to discuss those reasons at this time, in the hope that all issues will be resolved amicably between Jon and myself. As always, my first priority remains our children.”

Jon released his own statement to the magazine as well:

“This afternoon, Kate filed for divorce. Our kids are still my number one priority. I love them and want to make sure they stay happy, healthy and safe. My job is being the best, most supportive and loving father that I can be to my kids, and not being married to Kate doesn’t change that. This will be a difficult transition for all of us, but Kate and I will work out a schedule that enables our kids to have plenty of quality time with both of us at home in Pennsylvania. In terms of my marriage, it’s no secret that the past six months or so have been very difficult for Kate and me. We are no different than other couples and parents who are facing a crossroads in their marriage. I am of course deeply saddened that we are divorcing.”
Old 06-22-09, 10:56 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 254 Likes on 192 Posts

I just watched the opening. Kate sounded like the ice queen I expected, Jon sounded like one of those guys who's just been released from prison after he's served 10 years for a crime he didn't commit. Bar skanks in his hometown better be ready.
Old 06-22-09, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Draven
I feel bad for the kids, but they decided to put their home life on the national stage and whore out their "cute family" to make money. I have zero sympathy for anything that happens to either of the adults.

I just wish they cared as much about their family as they did about being celebrities.
agreed. I can't stand what they're doing but they completely deserve anything bad that goes their way.
Old 06-22-09, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This smells orchestrated. I expect a reconciliation and a continuation of the show. Lovely.
Old 06-22-09, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I can understand hating the show, but hoping for them to get a divorce is pretty shitty.
If they break up and the public loses interest in them as a couple and they just fade away into obscurity, I think the kids might benefit from that. Do you want to see the continuing to grow up in front of the camera as TLC plans the events of their lives? Won't somebody think of the kids!
Old 06-23-09, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Sorraffy
With Jon paying the outrageous child support Kate will probably ask for (the amount it actually takes + the amount she just wants to have), will he even be able to live in a NY Apartment?
Can Kate even get child support? She's making a shit load of money from the show. I dont see how she would need extra money to help her out.
Old 06-23-09, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I was amazed at how in denial the both of them were about how much the show is impacting their lives. In their separate interviews they each mentioned how this was basically inevitable and the show had nothing to do with it, aside from accelerating the process a bit. Bullshit. If they focused on just raising their kids rather than having this constant media attention, wanted or not, I don't think they would be in the same situation they are in now. The problem is neither of them are good at communicating at all with the other: Kate just yells and demeans Jon and he just shuts down and says nothing until he can't take it. I used to be more on Jon's side, but after tonight, I can't say I have any sympathy for either of them. He's acting like a petulant little kid.
Old 06-23-09, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by FinkPish
I was amazed at how in denial the both of them were about how much the show is impacting their lives. In their separate interviews they each mentioned how this was basically inevitable and the show had nothing to do with it, aside from accelerating the process a bit. Bullshit. If they focused on just raising their kids rather than having this constant media attention, wanted or not, I don't think they would be in the same situation they are in now. The problem is neither of them are good at communicating at all with the other: Kate just yells and demeans Jon and he just shuts down and says nothing until he can't take it. I used to be more on Jon's side, but after tonight, I can't say I have any sympathy for either of them. He's acting like a petulant little kid.
They would have found some other way to screw up their kids if the issue is that neither one of them has the maturity to handle the situation. I haven't watched a moment of this show, but people I know are so obsessed with it, I'm monitoring this situation until the end of the drama just so I can know what they're talking about.
Old 06-23-09, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i wonder if the big announcement would've been that they were quitting the show to work out their marriage, if tlc would've sued them?
Old 06-23-09, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by kevin75
i wonder if the big announcement would've been that they were quitting the show to work out their marriage, if tlc would've sued them?
I was thinking the same thing.. but then I thought that the possible huge backlash against TLC would squash any thoughts of a lawsuit.

I have nothing to say that hasn't been already said.
I never watched this show before and will admit that I watched last night... I found it deeply disturbing that two grown adults would use a television camera to announce their separation and pending divorce. Even more disturbing: they are continuing the show.
What a wonderful legacy to leave their children.

I think everyone would have applauded them if they decided to pull the cameras, move to Siberia and do what ever it took to make it work.

On a positive note: I did like the crooked houses.. they were adorable.. and Kate was right: no way they should have been in those woods.
Their kids are adorable and extremely well behaved. I didn't get the sense they are robot like or afraid to be silly... they just seem like good kids.
Old 06-23-09, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Will they have to change the name of the show to "Kate + 8 - Jon"?
Old 06-23-09, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Old 06-23-09, 09:31 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Will they have to change the name of the show to "Kate + 8 - Jon"?
John OR Kate + 8
Old 06-23-09, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Palaver
i tried the website last night during the show and it was completely crashed.
Old 06-23-09, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kevin75
TLC probably would have had to sued them especially if they pay them upfront for the episodes, I'd imagine that money is long gone.
Old 06-23-09, 10:01 AM

Received 796 Likes on 519 Posts

There are some days that I still wish Celebrity Deathmatch was still around.
Old 06-23-09, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe
John OR Kate + 8
I think The Soup called it "John +4" and "Kate +4".
Old 06-23-09, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I cannot abide either of these people and their excuse for a show. People being famous for no reason....and she seems like the biggest bitch in the world.

So i guess if their show continues its going to be called: John minus Kate divided by 8.
Old 06-23-09, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dx23
My question, how longer are studios and TV networks going to continue milking this shit? I'm sure that right now there is some network out there that is thinking of throwing millions of dollars to Kate to start a show Kate plus 8. Then it will spin-off to Kate trying to find a husband. Then it will go to Kate dealing with rehab. Then Kate trying to mend the relationship with Jon. Then Kate going back to rehab again. Then Kate fighting for custody. And on and on and on.
Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Don't give them any ideas.
Exactly, I can see it now, like a disturbing version of the bachelorette called the divorcee and on one of the dates one of the 50 guys has to impress the kids.

Kate is going to try to play the sympathy card big time, now it will be "who loves the kids more" and Kate will try to really push home that card to get the sympathy vote.
Old 06-23-09, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Kate plus 8 plus John every other weekend.
Old 06-23-09, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FinkPish
The problem is neither of them are good at communicating at all with the other: Kate just yells and demeans Jon and he just shuts down and says nothing until he can't take it. I used to be more on Jon's side, but after tonight, I can't say I have any sympathy for either of them. He's acting like a petulant little kid.
Agreed. They're both awful at communicating and resolving issues amicably, and the show has definitely had a negative impact on their relationship. But of course they can't admit that, because doing so means they have to admit the show has therefore had a negative impact on their kids as well.

Kate's unequivocal statement that she would be with all the kids on every holiday, no matter what: Nice compromise, I'm sure this will be really amicable.

This "sharing the house" thing will work until Jon gets a job or a serious girlfriend. I don't think any job is going to be really open to the idea of Jon leaving every couple of weeks. And Kate's not going to tolerate him having a girlfriend over in her "kids' house".
Old 06-23-09, 11:15 AM
Banned

Jon & girlfriend and Kate & dates + 8 + sexy nanny that sleeps with both Jon and Kate.
Old 06-23-09, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
Jon & girlfriend and Kate & dates + 8 + sexy nanny that sleeps with both Jon and Kate.
Now this is something i would watch weekly.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.