Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lost -- "Dead is Dead" -- 04/08/09

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-09, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Lost -- "Dead is Dead" -- 04/08/09

We saw the back of the statue from the orchid.

Maybe the orchid lies in the shadow.

who knows.
Old 04-09-09, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Also, is everyone assuming that the guns were in the crate? I didn't...they look like old Others weapons. The redshirt just said "They found guns." I have no idea what was in the crate.

And that reminds me...am I the only one that thinks it's hilarious that this new group of people crashed on the island, and quickly found and started using the housing with electricity...and didn't think that was weird? Remember when the original plane crashed and it was this huge reveal that there was a hatch and some modern conveniences on the island? Now it's just like "yeah, we found a house. The lights work. No big deal."

Last edited by Draven; 04-09-09 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-09-09, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
Also, is everyone assuming that the guns were in the crate? I didn't...they look like old Others weapons. The redshirt just said "They found guns." I have no idea what was in the crate.
Good, glad I'm not crazy in that I missed something obvious.
Old 04-09-09, 10:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pinata242
That was basically my first thought but we know the statue isn't on the island these folks are on. And we don't know if they can even see it from their vantage.

So, more likely, they're another group of people with an agenda... That's getting a little old, imho. Ceasar was a douchebag, but if we accept that he was hired by someone to be there for a reason, it would explain why he was so adamant about being in charge.
It doesn't matter if they can see it or not. It's a password that was given to them by Widmore for sure. They know the answer but nothing more. They just need to be able to gather their people on the island and my guess is start a takeover. This is the beginning of Widmore's war he was talking about to Locke.
Old 04-09-09, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have no idea what was in the crate.
A dead/resurrected Charles Widmore.
Old 04-09-09, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cracksky
It doesn't matter if they can see it or not. It's a password that was given to them by Widmore for sure. They know the answer but nothing more. They just need to be able to gather their people on the island and my guess is start a takeover. This is the beginning of Widmore's war he was talking about to Locke.
I am not saying this isn't true. It just leaves little time and room for error for Charles to get all these people together and on this particular flight when, as far as we know, only Mrs. Hawking knew this flight would cross paths with the moving island and (according to Charles himself) he wasn't in contact with Eloise at all when he sent Desmond that way. Maybe that was a lie or changed, who knows. Maybe he has his own team for finding the island and came to the same Flight 316 conclusion but, as I recall, it was the presence of 5/6 of the O6 and a dead John Locke that created the opening.

Maybe I'm wrong. There's just a lot of jumping to conclusions here based on little to no evidence.

Something's up, that much is for sure.
Old 04-09-09, 10:51 AM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 927 Likes on 778 Posts

i totally spaced at one part...after Desmond beat the crap out of Ben and threw him in the water...what happened? did he get out and kill Penny?
Old 04-09-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
i totally spaced at one part...after Desmond beat the crap out of Ben and threw him in the water...what happened? did he get out and kill Penny?
After he was thrown in the water, they cut.. they didn't show what happened.
Old 04-09-09, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm getting sick of the lack of Faraday. And seeing Keamy again last night reignited my man-crush
Old 04-09-09, 11:23 AM
Jim
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Ackerly
After he was thrown in the water, they cut.. they didn't show what happened.
That's why I don't think we can assume he didn't kill Penny. He may not have, but we didn't see the end of that sequence.
Old 04-09-09, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mdc3000
What? I didn't get that they've changed anything at all... all of this is happening because it HAPPENED. Ben has always had these same events happen in his childhood, so I'm pretty sure he's still going to gas all of Dharma. What indicates that anything in the past has changed the timeline?
I don't think that at all. They've made it like Ben has new memories (ala Frequency) because of the events that are being caused by Jack, Sawyer, Sayid, etc. The end result may be the same but the path is different.
Old 04-09-09, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ben was pushing a young (3, 4, 5?) Alex (born 88/89) on a swing in Dharmaville and Richard walked freely up. Of course The Purge (12/19/92) still happened.
Old 04-09-09, 11:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by pinata242
I am not saying this isn't true. It just leaves little time and room for error for Charles to get all these people together and on this particular flight when, as far as we know, only Mrs. Hawking knew this flight would cross paths with the moving island and (according to Charles himself) he wasn't in contact with Eloise at all when he sent Desmond that way. Maybe that was a lie or changed, who knows. Maybe he has his own team for finding the island and came to the same Flight 316 conclusion but, as I recall, it was the presence of 5/6 of the O6 and a dead John Locke that created the opening.

Maybe I'm wrong. There's just a lot of jumping to conclusions here based on little to no evidence.

Something's up, that much is for sure.
All Widmore had to do after he hung up the phone with Ben was call his team and say to go to LAX and get on the same flight as Ben Linus.
Old 04-09-09, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jim
That's why I don't think we can assume he didn't kill Penny. He may not have, but we didn't see the end of that sequence.
I thought that Ben made the obvious choice not to shoot Penny before Desmond jumped in. When he saw her child, he lowered his weapon. Ben seems to have a soft spot for kids.

I'm pretty sure Penny is fine. The apology to Desmond was for shooting him.
Old 04-09-09, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,664 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
I don't think that at all. They've made it like Ben has new memories (ala Frequency) because of the events that are being caused by Jack, Sawyer, Sayid, etc. The end result may be the same but the path is different.
But it's also creating new objects like the photo? So that photo wasn't there and then suddenly poofed into existence when the Losties went back in time?

I can buy memories being "created"...but physical objects is a little much. Of course the whole thing is stupid but that's what they've decided to do so I guess we just have to go with it.
Old 04-09-09, 11:56 AM
Banned

But it's also creating new objects like the photo? So that photo wasn't there and then suddenly poofed into existence when the Losties went back in time?

I can buy memories being "created"...but physical objects is a little much. Of course the whole thing is stupid but that's what they've decided to do so I guess we just have to go with it.
You don't know how long that photo has been there. They've always been a part of Dharma so they were always recruits. The photo was always there (since 1977 when they arrived). Nothing has changed.
Old 04-09-09, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Palaver
He appeared to be attempting to turn Caesar against Locke, then turned on Caesar to protect Locke.
Ben wanted Caesar to turn on Locke so he could "save" Locke's life. Classic Ben Linus manipulation.

I'm pretty sure Ben came back to Dharma long before the purge. Probably while the Losties were still around.
We don't know that. We only see Ben as a young man with the Others.

I wonder if this is 2008 Ben traveling back to the 1970's since he's only a kid back then and this is certainly '70's clothes.

This looks like a 40-year old Ben in the 1970's.
I'd put that picture sometime in the late 80s.

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey
That must have been a Kevlar bag of groceries Desmond was carrying..
The bullet hit the milk jug. The liquid probably deflected the shot off course.
Old 04-09-09, 12:05 PM
Banned

And that reminds me...am I the only one that thinks it's hilarious that this new group of people crashed on the island, and quickly found and started using the housing with electricity...and didn't think that was weird? Remember when the original plane crashed and it was this huge reveal that there was a hatch and some modern conveniences on the island? Now it's just like "yeah, we found a house. The lights work. No big deal."
Who's using housing or electricity? On the Hydra island, there's only Ben's office, the cages and the runway - no electricity. On the mainland, we've only seen electricity in one house - Ben's (probably via the 'island'). other than that, it's been torches and lanterns. No one new from the plane has been to the mainland yet. Only Sun, Lapidus, Ben & Locke.
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought that Ben made the obvious choice not to shoot Penny before Desmond jumped in. When he saw her child, he lowered his weapon. Ben seems to have a soft spot for kids.

I'm pretty sure Penny is fine. The apology to Desmond was for shooting him.
[Unnecessarily Overcomplicated Internet Lost Theory]

But maybe Ben went back in time, prevented Desmond & Penny from having a child, then came back to the dock in the future to shoot her! You never know with these writers!

[/Unnecessarily Overcomplicated Internet Lost Theory]
DVD Talk Hero

You don't know how long that photo has been there. They've always been a part of Dharma so they were always recruits. The photo was always there (since 1977 when they arrived). Nothing has changed.
Exactly. People are assuming that Ben would have been so familiar with a 1977 recruit picture that he would have instantly recognized Jack, Hurley, and Kate from it when he met them in the Swan 27 years later.

Ben had no knowledge then of the survivors that just crashed will eventually go back in time to his past.

The picture was a relic of the past to Ben and certainly not worth remembering a bunch of people that either left or died on the island 12 years or more before.
Old 04-09-09, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mosquitobite
In one of Juliet's first episodes don't one of the others say "she looks just like her." I have that in my brain for some reason
Yeah, that was a definite clue that the past with the Losties had already happened, and that Ben remembers them.

It also seems as though a lot of people are unable or unwilling to grasp the meaning of the "whatever happened, happened" statement that's been made several times on the show, explained on the show, and used as an episode title. The future/present has not and does not change.

Last edited by MoviePage; 04-09-09 at 12:11 PM.
Old 04-09-09, 12:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by aintnosin
I'd put that picture sometime in the late 80s.
That may be but that shirt is from the '70's.

Plus, he was 40 in 2004 so something is still up.
Old 04-09-09, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

They were standing around the crate when Lapidus came up to them, and we saw earlier that they didn't want Ben helping them with it, which indicates that they had reason to keep other people away from it.
Old 04-09-09, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A young Ethan was with Ben when he kidnapped Baby Alex. If Ethan was born in the Dharma camp, how'd he end up over there? Is there speculation that Ethan's Mom used to be an Other that defected? When she was introduced on the show, Others were throwing a sack over her head to kidnap her. Maybe trying to take her back? The kidnapping happened before the purge, right?

We also learned in this episode where Smokey lives and that its not some kind of Dharma experiment gone bad. I like how the buzzing / clicking noise it makes are charges of electricity as it moves. I thought that was pretty cool.

Did this ep wrap up Desmond & Penny's storyline, assuming Ben didn't kill Penny after he was dumped in the water, which doesn't seem likely to me. If not, I wonder how they'll fit them in now.
Old 04-09-09, 12:44 PM
Suspended

We definitely haven't seen the last of Desmond. He's got some big role to play yet, IMO.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.