Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Heroes -- "One Of Us, One Of Them" -- 09.29.2008

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-08, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mercury&Solace
ummmm note to writers, Sylar has more powers than his telekinesis.
He pretty much had most of his powers taken away from him somewhere between the end of season one, and the beginning of season two. When we first encounter him in season two, he has been completely stripped of all his powers, and doesn't really get any back until the end of the season, when he injects himself with the serum Mohinder made from Claire's blood. Then he only get's back the very first power he stole from someone, which was telekinesis. Since then, he has acquired a few more (which I forget exactly what they are at the moment), but personally, I think he's keeping those to himself until he needs to reveal them. It would give him the advantage, in that other people don't know everything else he's capable of doing.
Old 09-30-08, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Aegean2007
Was I the only one who couldn't stop laughing at this?

I don't call Peter "Stroke Boy" for nothing.
Old 09-30-08, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Originally Posted by ckw4b
Atleast they could have come up with a better foil for him instead of the the stupid speedster gal.
Actually, the Speedster Girl is a great match to Hiro's powers due to the Time Space thing. As shown they negate each other. Speedsters and the Time and Space thing go hand in hand and it makes perfect sense. At least they do in DC comics.

Now, one thing I would do is give Hiro a legit love interest. It doesn't look like the Speedster Chick will be one. Apparently Hiro suffers the "Asian Man Syndrome" popular in American films where the Asian guy -NEVER- gets the girl or any girl for that matter. Even when he found a girl, there was some fucked up reason why the relationship couldn't be and White guy got her.
Old 09-30-08, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hahn
Ma Petrelli introduces a girl (Bridgette?) who walks in willingly to sacrifice herself to Sylar. Huh? Ma Petrelli made some comment about feeding him. Thought we established last week that he doesn't eat their brains.
I took it as Ma Petrelli maybe led her into thinking she was going to "read" Sylar's history and ended up letting Sylar tinker with her brain. The feeding part I thought was feeding his hunger to figure out how things work and not actual feeding.
Old 09-30-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
He pretty much had most of his powers taken away from him somewhere between the end of season one, and the beginning of season two. When we first encounter him in season two, he has been completely stripped of all his powers, and doesn't really get any back until the end of the season, when he injects himself with the serum Mohinder made from Claire's blood. Then he only get's back the very first power he stole from someone, which was telekinesis. Since then, he has acquired a few more (which I forget exactly what they are at the moment), but personally, I think he's keeping those to himself until he needs to reveal them. It would give him the advantage, in that other people don't know everything else he's capable of doing.
I don't think that's how it went down. That illness he contracted in Season 2 just subdued his powers, not erased them. He got them back once he injected himself with the antidote. It's just poor writing (and I love this show) that they haven't had him use any of his other powers.

But now that I think of it, what powers did he really get in Season 1 that were so useful? Painting the future, super hearing, liquefying metal... What else? I can't imaging those were really helpful in a hostage situation.
Old 09-30-08, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
When they talked about Dr. Zimmerman, I half expected Robert Picardo to be playing the role.

What was up with all the comic relief in this episode?
Old 09-30-08, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CKMorpheus
Painting the future, super hearing, liquefying metal... What else? I can't imaging those were really helpful in a hostage situation.
He had freezing at one point, and Ted Sprague's radioactivity. Telekinesis is clearly his most useful power in situations like that.
Old 09-30-08, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
I don't think that's how it went down. That illness he contracted in Season 2 just subdued his powers, not erased them. He got them back once he injected himself with the antidote. It's just poor writing (and I love this show) that they haven't had him use any of his other powers.

But now that I think of it, what powers did he really get in Season 1 that were so useful? Painting the future, super hearing, liquefying metal... What else? I can't imaging those were really helpful in a hostage situation.
You are correct!

Agreed the telekinesis is the most useful in these type of situations, I would just like to see a little more out of this character.

List of powers:

Telekinesis Brian Davis "Six Months Ago"
Cryokinesis Unknown N/A
Enhanced Memory Charlie Andrews "Seven Minutes to Midnight"
Liquification Zane Taylor "Run!"
Enhanced Hearing Dale Smither "Unexpected"
Precognition
(expressed through painting) Isaac Mendez ".07%"
Radiation manipulation Ted Sprague "Landslide"
Rapid cellular regeneration Claire Bennet "The Second Coming"
Alchemy Bob Bishop "The Butterfly Effect"
Psychometry Bridget Bailey "One of Us, One of Them"
Sound manipulation Jesse Murphy "One of Us, One of Them"
Old 09-30-08, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mercury&Solace
You are correct!

Agreed the telekinesis is the most useful in these type of situations, I would just like to see a little more out of this character.

List of powers:

Telekinesis Brian Davis "Six Months Ago"
Cryokinesis Unknown N/A
Enhanced Memory Charlie Andrews "Seven Minutes to Midnight"
Liquification Zane Taylor "Run!"
Enhanced Hearing Dale Smither "Unexpected"
Precognition
(expressed through painting) Isaac Mendez ".07%"
Radiation manipulation Ted Sprague "Landslide"
Rapid cellular regeneration Claire Bennet "The Second Coming"
Alchemy Bob Bishop "The Butterfly Effect"
Psychometry Bridget Bailey "One of Us, One of Them"
Sound manipulation Jesse Murphy "One of Us, One of Them"
Sylar never did get Charlies power of Enhanced memory, Hiro went back in time and altered things so that she would not be killed by Sylar
Old 09-30-08, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 730 Likes on 532 Posts
I'm just tired that the telekinetic beings feel the need to force grip people instead of learning how to reach beyond spatial awareness.
Old 09-30-08, 05:55 PM

Super hearing would be incredibly useful in a hostage situation.

How will the "feds" explain the mutilated body in the bank to the local authorities?

If Sylar's "destructive copy" ability is the source of his murderous bent, it would seem to be the only power so far with psychological side effects.

Ma Petrelli's power doesn't seem to be straight-up mind control. Sylar still seems to do what he wants. It's unclear whether she can outright order somebody to do something. As for her mysterious agenda, she's insane if she thinks she can control Sylar in the long run. Eventually he's going to take a power that makes him immune to her ability (Parkman?). Deliberately giving him extra powers makes him that much harder to bring down. An intelligence-gathering ability like that "object reading" ability she "fed" Sylar is one of the most dangerous powers Sylar has, because it makes it much easier for him to locate and hunt down his prey.
Old 09-30-08, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I dig the Tracy storyline a lot better then Nikki/Jessica. In fact, I really like how they flipped it to possibly having a bunch of clones/creations. Genetically engineered powers maybe could tie in well with the formula that Hiro is dealing with and Mohinder's work.

Sylar's stuff was ok, but I agree that more stuff with him and Noah would be nice. I think they reverted him back to just a mad killer too soon in the bank. Seemed kind of an odd change in personalities that don't make sense to me, with him being nice all of a sudden shortly after the Claire situation and now.

Parkman meeting the dude with the same vision power is kind of lame.

It was annoying as hell with them showing Peter's body the whole time when he was trapped in the other dude's outside of mirrors. Do they think the audience was too stupid to get that Peter was trapped?
Old 09-30-08, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Mama Petrelli scene where she sacrifices the girl to Sylar was so mean-spirited. He didn't even use the power. I'll be looking forward to seeing Sylar turn on her and take her brain. Which will be nice, that whole generation of Heroes will be off the show.

Also, are we going to learn that every hero is actually part of 1 family. Let's see what we have so far... Mama Petrelli is the mother of Nathan and Peter and Sylar. Claire is the daughter of Nathan which makes her Sylar's niece.

Maybe this has been discussed before... who is Nathan and Peter's father?
Old 09-30-08, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
The Mama Petrelli scene where she sacrifices the girl to Sylar was so mean-spirited. He didn't even use the power. I'll be looking forward to seeing Sylar turn on her and take her brain. Which will be nice, that whole generation of Heroes will be off the show.

Also, are we going to learn that every hero is actually part of 1 family. Let's see what we have so far... Mama Petrelli is the mother of Nathan and Peter and Sylar. Claire is the daughter of Nathan which makes her Sylar's niece.

Could it be Linderman?
Old 09-30-08, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Arthur Petrelli http://heroeswiki.com/Arthur_Petrelli
Old 09-30-08, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He didn't contract anything. He was purposefully injected with the virus. This much was stated in one of the episodes. Whether it subdued or erased them isn't so much the issue. He still either doesn't have them, or access to them anymore, based on the fact that we haven't seen him use any of them. Remember, he killed morphing/chameleon girl, but was never able to take her power, because his own wasn't working any more. Either way, he hasn't shown the use of any other past stolen abilities but the telekinesis since, including the ones he's gained since shooting himself up with Claire's blood.

But I will say that until the lazy writer's get around to telling/showing us exactly what's going on with him, it'll remain open to debate.
Old 09-30-08, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 155 Posts
Spoiler:
Robert Forster has apparently been cast to play this part later this year
Old 09-30-08, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
They must keep Ali around because she's the only one willing to show off some skin. Or some other reason. EVERY single character she's played has been yawn-inducing.

Glad to see the fanboys appreciate "tight outfit" Claire and "wet" Claire. Now if we could only get "competent actress" Claire.
Old 09-30-08, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess I just don't understand the hate for this show every week. Sure it's not perfect but it's the best we got on TV regarding live action superheroes. I hoope the hate doesn't lead to more of a drop off and the networks never giving a serious "comic book" series a chance.

BTW Ma said " a dozen" escaped from level 5. I think we may see Sylar and HRG working together again.
Old 09-30-08, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mwbmis
Spoiler:
Robert Forster has apparently been cast to play this part later this year
That's awesome!
Old 10-01-08, 01:49 AM

The question about Sylar's powers has been answered by Heroes writers/producers Joe Pokaski and Aron Coliete:

KCcat asks:

“In ‘The Second Coming,’ Sylar says to Claire, ‘You see, I lost everything that made me special. Does Sylar mean that he permanently lost all of his acquired powers except for telekinesis? Has his slate of powers been ‘wiped clean’ and does he have to start all over again? If so, then by the end of ‘The Butterfly Effect,’ it appears that he only has his telekinesis power, Claire's healing and regeneration power, and Bob's power to turn things to gold. Or am I reading into things?”

[Aron Coliete & Joe Pokaski]: Nope that’s right. Sylar’s starting over. Getting a whole new slate of powers as he goes. You can count Jesse’s voice powers into the mix as well.
SOURCE: ComicBookResources.com - Behind the Eclipse article (can't post the url due to having too few posts)
Old 10-01-08, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone else think that the female in the paintings of Parkman is Speedy?
Old 10-01-08, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Originally Posted by achau9598
Anyone else think that the female in the paintings of Parkman is Speedy?
That was my first guess, although it's really based only on her hair.
Old 10-01-08, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Yeah the hair part made me think the same thing.
Old 10-01-08, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588

Glad to see the fanboys appreciate "tight outfit" Claire and "wet" Claire. Now if we could only get "competent actress" Claire.
I'm with you, but first things first. Let's get the show back on track before we nitpick performances. It's so far off the rails that Claire's acting isn't any worse than the mess they got going on. Priorities.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.