Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Heroes -- "One Of Us, One Of Them" -- 09.29.2008

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-08, 01:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mnementh
Shouldn't he also have all of Sylar's powers? He's demonstrated only telekinesis.
Sylar's power isn't TK, it's "steal power from others". So yes, Peter has Sylar's power, but there is no real way for him to find out how to use it because it can't be accidentally activated.
Old 10-02-08, 02:12 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally Posted by DeadLamb
well IMO that whole story line is just because Hayden is marketable for the show right now. Her powers are pretty much worthless unless you have the offense to go along with them. In the end she is still a kid, a tiny female kid.

just being able to cheat death does not turn a cheerleader into a Terminator all of sudden.

as for the show, pretty cheesy but still enjoyable, the way a show about super heroes should be imo.
As the characters learn to use their powers, and very few true "mentors" in that regard have existed on the show to accelerate this process, they seem to find that their limits are only due to their own beliefs in what they can/cannot do. She can rapidly heal herself and through her blood, heal others, but is it too big a stretch to think that within the context of the ever changing "rules" of the writers, she should be able to heal others? Further, perhaps she would be able to drain their life essence (the reverse of healing) given her ability?

I agree that as written and acted, her character needs a lot of work though...
Old 10-02-08, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts
I'm really enjoying the progress we're seeing so far this year.

That said, I really wish some of the common sense stupidity would go away - Hiro, Spiderman/Fly and to a lesser extent Claire. Mamma Patrelli may fit into that as well...not sure.

Where was Linderman this week?

I'm enjoying Parkman's storyline even if it is moving along somewhat slowly.

Does this mean that rather than having duplicate abilities, there are those out there that have complimentary abilities? For example, the new Niki (what's her name) is the opposite of Claire's mom. Granted fire and ice are not original. Do we feel a showdown coming on?! Likewise, what of Issac from S1 and the new painter from this year? I don't know how they fit, but new guy seems to be either alternate dimensions/timelines and/or short term, whereas Issac was long term events.

I'm somewhat glad Peter is out of the body, but I was hoping that would have lasted longer so we could see how far he was willing to go in order to keep his cover.
Old 10-02-08, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
The show is much better when it revolves around HRG and Mohinder is completely absent.
Old 10-02-08, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Regarding the new future painter: How did he even know he was painting the future? At least Isaac Mendez was able to confirm using newspapers. And for someone whose only ability is painting a chubby cop, he didn't seem terribly excited when the subject of his paintings showed up out of nowhere. After a lifetime of painting the same guy you think he'd either start dancing when he met Pac-man or he'd club him to death with a turtle.
Old 10-02-08, 11:10 AM
Emeritus Reviewer

Originally Posted by GoVegan
Regarding the new future painter: How did he even know he was painting the future? At least Isaac Mendez was able to confirm using newspapers. And for someone whose only ability is painting a chubby cop, he didn't seem terribly excited when the subject of his paintings showed up out of nowhere. After a lifetime of painting the same guy you think he'd either start dancing when he met Pac-man or he'd club him to death with a turtle.
I think the writers are relying on the stereotypical idea that natives of foreign lands (aborigines/bush dwellers/etc.) are more "in tune" with the universe. I also got the impression that part of his ability was allowing Matt to see the future/paint it.

I agree with BA though, Noah is the best written character on the show (the most consistent too).
Old 10-02-08, 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by fujishig
I also thought that the Haitian was pretending to be mute to everyone except HRG? They threw that out the window right away. Or am I misremembering?
In season 1 episode "Fallout" the Haitian spoke. It was when HRG sent him to erase Claire's memory, he told her that.
Old 10-02-08, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
Originally Posted by kiddk1
In season 1 episode "Fallout" the Haitian spoke. It was when HRG sent him to erase Claire's memory, he told her that.
Right, he's spoken before, but I was under the impression that he was hiding that from the company.

The native guy also draws far into the future... didn't he say he drew that first Parkman picture when he was a kid? And there is already a bunch of power duplication: Adam/Claire, fire-mom/fire-baddie (different colors of flames, though), flying-dad/flying-boyfriend, etc.
Old 10-02-08, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts
Mamma Petrelli definitely knew the Haitian could speak. Remember she had him dealing with Claire S1. When Claire Bear ditched him and went to her Uncle's house, Mamma or should I say, Gramma Petrelli was there with the Haitian and they spoke French* together.

*I think it was French.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-02-08 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10-02-08, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Hang on, remember that when the African guy saw Matt he knew things had gone South somewhere because Matt wasn't supposed to be there.

He said that if Matt was there then things that he had painted were wrong and things were changing in a bad way. So seeing Matt was -NOT- good, and he acted accordingly. You'll also remember that he "erased' one of Matt's paintings and started a new one. I think it was the painting with Matt happy with what seemed to be the Speedster chick due to the blonde hair with the funky style.
Old 10-02-08, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts
Woah, don't tell me what I remember. I'll misremember anything I want if it helps me complain some more.

A few people said something about that one painting being the Speedster girl. I guess I should have paid more attention because I just thought it was his ex-wife holding a baby.
Old 10-02-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Woah, don't tell me what I remember. I'll misremember anything I want if it helps me complain some more.

A few people said something about that one painting being the Speedster girl. I guess I should have paid more attention because I just thought it was his ex-wife holding a baby.
I'm sorry man. I didn't mean to come across like some fanboy ass.
Old 10-02-08, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nah, she was blonde in the painting... but I didn't think it was the speedster girl necessarily. Was the hair really short?

edited to add: All this talk about the Haitian gives me something else to complain about. In season 1, Nathan flew away from HRG and the Haitian, and I took it to mean that the Haitian had to focus to take away people's powers. But he didn't know about Hiro and the speedster, and still negated their powers...
Old 10-02-08, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nah, she was blonde in the painting... but I didn't think it was the speedster girl necessarily. Was the hair really short?
Well check this out... But then again....what about the FBI chick Matt worked with in S1?

http://heroeswiki.com/Image:Matts_Future_By_Usutu.jpg

More of Usutu's Rock Paintings.

http://heroeswiki.com/Usutu%27s_paintings

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-02-08 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-02-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
one of those painting labeled as lady with burnt back - to me that looks more like the scabbing/peeling that we saw Mo'Fly experience at the end of Ep2.
Old 10-02-08, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That looks more like Bouncing Boy from the Legion of Super Heroes... but the hair on the woman is nothing like the speedster, other than it's relatively short and blond. Who knows, though, as good as Tim Sale is, it's hard to tell...
Old 10-02-08, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

edited to add: All this talk about the Haitian gives me something else to complain about. In season 1, Nathan flew away from HRG and the Haitian, and I took it to mean that the Haitian had to focus to take away people's powers. But he didn't know about Hiro and the speedster, and still negated their powers...
I think the Haitian has to consciously have his powers on, but I don't think he has to know that you are there to stop your powers. The only reason to send him on that mission is to suppress powered people from hijacking the formula half. I'm sure he would have had his powers on since that was his specific mission.
Old 10-02-08, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
Again, I'm not really sure how Sylar loses his acquired powers.

If his only innate "power" is the ability to figure out how things work, then I don't really understand how he can lose abilities since he's learning how to do them instead of having some kind of innate genetic ability to do them. I could see Peter losing his acquired powers, but not Sylar for that reason.

Take away his innate ability, and he should still remember how to do everything else, though he wouldn't be able to acquire more powers.
Old 10-03-08, 08:17 AM

not only that, if sylar lost his abilities he should only possess the original ability which is to learn how things work, TK was not original therefore he should not have it.

Also: shouldnt Peter have the abiltiy to know how things work also, I wonder when the writers will script that into his role.

Last edited by kiddk1; 10-03-08 at 08:20 AM.
Old 10-03-08, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,732 Likes on 1,885 Posts
You know, if Sylar could get ahold of Peter and dig around in his brain (which would be non-lethal since Peter can heal like Claire) he wouldn't have to kill people to gain their powers.

Wonder if they're going to use that as a plot device to make Sylar a "good guy."