Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Heroes -- "One Of Us, One Of Them" -- 09.29.2008

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Heroes -- "One Of Us, One Of Them" -- 09.29.2008

Old 09-30-08, 06:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo View Post
Why would you say that? Apparently these abilities are somewhat "common" amongst the "gifted" humans. Momma Petrelli dreams the future, Isaac and the African Paint the future, Nathan can fly, Claire's Boycrush from last season could fly, Claire's Mom could make fire, and the guy who escaped Level 5 could do the same...and so on.
At the rate they're going at, everyone in the world is "gifted".
Old 09-30-08, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The tone of last night's episode was all over the map.

Sylar as a them, though stepfordized, brought a few laughs, but his power lust still remains a primal driving force for him.

Hiro/Ando/Nemesis brought more muted chuckles.

So how many of these Nikki/Jessica/Tracy siblings are there?

No Mohinder (besides voiceovers) and I didn't really miss his subplot.

Getting to Claire's breakthrough was annoying and cloying, and didn't really ring true, mainly due to Hayden's underperformance in that scene.

Parkman's quest is unengaging so far.

Mama Petreilli is creepy.
Old 09-30-08, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 815 Likes on 549 Posts
Originally Posted by Lee Harvey Oswald View Post
At the rate they're going at, everyone in the world is "gifted".
Well...yes.

Isn't that going to be and "issue" with Suresh's new vaccine now and in the future based on the teaser ads? Plus, wasn't the whole "Hero Genome" project his Dad was doing basically saying that Humanity was evolving?
Old 09-30-08, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by aintnosin View Post
Aaaaaaaaaaaadrian!!

I thought that when I saw the pic before I even saw your post.
Old 09-30-08, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts
So how come Claire's mom could breathe in the sauna and Claire couldn't? Is there some kind of "breathe in low oxygen power" to go along with her fire abilities?

I loved the Hero/Ando exchange: "What are you doing?" "Being awesome!"

I think there's no way Ma Patrelli is really Sylar's mother. He's either younger than Peter, or based on looks, between them in age. Did they just not see their mom for nine months?
Old 09-30-08, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 610 Likes on 430 Posts
Pretty solid episode. The show is still all over the map though. They really should focus on just a few characters per episode and then rotate 'em every week.
Old 09-30-08, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
So how come Claire's mom could breathe in the sauna and Claire couldn't? Is there some kind of "breathe in low oxygen power" to go along with her fire abilities??
Like she was explaining to Claire, it was mostly psychological.
Old 09-30-08, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

So how come Claire's mom could breathe in the sauna and Claire couldn't? Is there some kind of "breathe in low oxygen power" to go along with her fire abilities?
I thought Claire's Bio-Mom was making the point that it, the suffocating, was all "in her head"? She was saying that even with her abilities she was not mentally prepared for the mindfuck she was going to endure from the bad guys in the real world when she went out "superhero-ing".
Old 09-30-08, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ali Larter's thing is more interesting this season at least.
Hiro is awful though.
Old 09-30-08, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 252 Likes on 182 Posts
I didn't see it as "all in her head," she mentioned waterboarding, which creates the feeling of drowning, and really could cause drowning if done wrong. If it was just her saying "There's fire in here and it's hard to breathe" wouldn't Claire just say "Are you crazy?"

If she was at least focusing the heat so it was just around Claire and consuming all the air directly around her that would at least make a little sense. All in her head is lame.
Old 09-30-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I didn't see it as "all in her head," she mentioned waterboarding, which creates the feeling of drowning, and really could cause drowning if done wrong. If it was just her saying "There's fire in here and it's hard to breathe" wouldn't Claire just say "Are you crazy?"

If she was at least focusing the heat so it was just around Claire and consuming all the air directly around her that would at least make a little sense. All in her head is lame.
She more or less said, "water boarding can make it seem like you're drowning even when you're not. Your mind thinks it's drowning and you could still drown". The flashbacks with Sylar were hammering the point that Claire was freaked out and mentally unprepared for going up against a serious threat.
Old 09-30-08, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by kaze0 View Post
Hiro is awful though.
Agreed. I find it damn near impossible to support a character when his/her actions are the cause of the conflict at hand, especially when said actions were easily preventable by just listening. Had Hiro heeded Sulu's warning and kept the formula in the safe, then he and Ando wouldn't even be in that situation.
Old 09-30-08, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Vipper II View Post
Agreed. I find it damn near impossible to support a character when his/her actions are the cause of the conflict at hand, especially when said actions were easily preventable by just listening. Had Hiro heeded Sulu's warning and kept the formula in the safe, then he and Ando wouldn't even be in that situation.
Hell, even Ando is more reasonable and level headed. Hiro and his lame ass, "Destiny" BS is getting childish and annoying. I realize he's a popular character, and that him and Ando are their to "lighten up" the show; but dammit Hiro! Grow up already! There's some serious stuff going on and some of it is being caused by your screw ups and your trying to fix your screw ups!

Last edited by Giantrobo; 09-30-08 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-30-08, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Sweaty Claire was easily the highlight of the episode for me.

Very solid episode, I don't think anything dragged for me. Like how they're setting up the Sabertooth thing with Sylar.
Old 09-30-08, 09:14 AM

if claire couldnt breathe, shouldnt Adam Monroe die because he was basically buried alive.
Old 09-30-08, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
It wasn't about the not breathing, it was about her thinking that she couldn't breath. She doesn't know the limits to her powers, she can't feel pain but her mind tells her that she should still be afraid, and that fear caused her to panic.

Adam been around for centuries and knows that lack of air isn't something to be afraid of.
Old 09-30-08, 09:27 AM

I think there's no way Ma Patrelli is really Sylar's mother. He's either younger than Peter, or based on looks, between them in age. Did they just not see their mom for nine months?
I think it's likely it's not true. She does seem to have some touchy persuasion power. She's not stupid (or at least they haven't written her that way yet) so she's got to have some hold over him or he'd just kill her as well.
I still like Hiro and I enjoyed the "can I have some popcorn?" "No" scene. But yeah just stop with his stupidity already.
I like that Nikki is really dead too. Hopefully they'll write a better storyline for the new one. And yeah, I was laughing at Micah being alone there with no adult around at all. I actually like his character and the kid playing him and wish they'd do something with him.
Old 09-30-08, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by kiddk1 View Post
if claire couldnt breathe, shouldnt Adam Monroe die because he was basically buried alive.

The 2 other scenes I remember that involved being immortal and being buried alive was one from "Interview with a Vampire" when they buried Brad Pitt...upside down no less...and "Underworld: Evolutions" where William the Werewolf was buried alive by Viktor.

I mean come on, that's Hell on Earth.

My guess is that Adam's body would shut down due to lack of oxygen and he would just "sleep" until someone opened the grave. This fits with how the "Self healers" in the Heroes universe take damage, but then heal with the damage source is removed. i.e. bullets, Glass shard, Wooden branch and etc.
Old 09-30-08, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by celmendo View Post
And yeah, I was laughing at Micah being alone there with no adult around at all. I actually like his character and the kid playing him and wish they'd do something with him.
I hated not seeing Nichelle "Uhura" Nichols.
Old 09-30-08, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't like the Claire and Nikki/Tracy storylines. Kind of suck that the villians that escape are killed or back in level 5 except for Knox. I think they could have drag that for another few episodes.
Old 09-30-08, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by zuffy View Post
Don't like the Claire and Nikki/Tracy storylines. Kind of suck that the villians that escape are killed or back in level 5 except for Knox. I think they could have drag that for another few episodes.
You mean, like ... Prison Break?
Old 09-30-08, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Vipper II View Post
And then there wouldn't be a show.
Old 09-30-08, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by riley_dude View Post
And then there wouldn't be a show.
Fair enough, but Hiro has the ability to time travel and stop time. Wouldn't it have made sense just for him to go back in time and not open the safe once he knew that it contained a formula that caused the destruction of the world?

Atleast they could have come up with a better foil for him instead of the the stupid speedster gal.
Old 09-30-08, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by ckw4b View Post
Atleast they could have come up with a better foil for him instead of the the stupid speedster gal.
Who wears red and yellow. They're not even TRYING to hide the fact that they are ripping off established characters. "But she's not the Flash, she's a woman!" Dear Mr. Kriege et all - Blow me. Signed, a fan who expects his entertainment not to have the top of its head cut off and it's brain pulled out.

-Doc
Old 09-30-08, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Patman View Post
You mean, like ... Prison Break?
Nothing wrong with that

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.