Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Battlestar Galactica -- "The Tie That Binds" -- 4/18/2008

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: On a scale of 1 to 5, how would you rate this episode of BSG?
Ugh, horrible stuff.
3.53%
Eh. I didn’t care for it.
5.88%
It was OK.
17.65%
I enjoyed it.
42.35%
Fantastic episode!
30.59%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Battlestar Galactica -- "The Tie That Binds" -- 4/18/2008

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-08, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
Yeah, we know that "frack" is a substitution for "fuck". Now use it about 25 times an episode.
Yeah, I was thinking that this episode probably set a record for the most "fraks" in an hour. It was kind of fun at first; a way to get away with saying "f*ck" without really saying it, as well as an homage to the original series, but they're going overboard with it now. Kind of like Star Trek and the "47s."

One thing I do like about the new series is the way they show life in the fleet. In the original series everyone always had perfect hair and makeup, and when there were supposedly food shortages as such. The new BGS does a really good job of showing how grim and uncomfortable life in a "rag-tag fleet" would really be. Food shortages, no air conditioning, stale air, claustrophobia, being trapped in a tiny cabin inside a spaceship for months, even years at a time. It's a brutal existence.
Old 04-20-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by goodstuff
I am sorry, but that was the worst episode yet. The cylon 'civil war' storyline is fantastic, but it does not make up for the rest of the episode.
There were four stories going on in one episode. Usually two is sufficient.
Less Baltar actually brought it up a point for me.

Well Moore has a track record. The final season of DS9 had some real nonsense and then a rushed ending to the Dominion war. Looks like he's gonna do it again.
He did write Kirks Death too.
Old 04-20-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
I watched this half asleep on hulu last night, so I think I need another viewing to get a true impression. I do think we're going in some interesting directions, and it should be pretty obvious that SciFi hasn't asked for anymore standalone episodes. I wonder if sleeping with Baltar has awakened some secret Cylon powers in Tory. If Baltar has some sort of magical power, I don't want to imagine how they're going to do this with the other three

And I always liked Cally, a shame to see her go and I wish we could have seen her a little more in the first two episodes of this season.

Originally Posted by riley_dude

[Ron Moore] did write Kirks Death too.
Which was written right as they were finishing the last season of TNG, including the acclaimed final episode, All Good Things (which he also wrote). He has admitted it was a mistake, and likely from fatigue.

Originally Posted by DVD Josh

I fear these 10 episodes are merely filler for the final 10 in a year.
The first eleven eps were actually written before the strike, and because of the timing of the strike, the eleventh ep was somewhat written to act as a series finale if the strike went too long and SciFi didn't pick up the back nine eps.

It kinda does seem like these first three episodes are just the chess pieces being moved into position, but I think with Moore, et al, knowing they wouldn't have to kowtow to too many network notes this year, they planned out the arc a little more than they might have in the past.
Old 04-20-08, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts
One less whiny bitch on the show. Only one more to go, and this will be a semi-watchable show again.
Old 04-20-08, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Callies death had a nice 2001 vibe going for it as well.
Old 04-20-08, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
http://community.livejournal.com/bat...9056#t11609056

they made a great catch on this blog. Screencap shows the constellation of Orion in the background.

Also (whether intentional or not) a nice little reference to Roy Batty's "I've seen attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion." bit in Blade Runner.

Old 04-20-08, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JayDerek

they made a great catch on this blog. Screencap shows the constellation of Orion in the background.

Also (whether intentional or not) a nice little reference to Roy Batty's "I've seen attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion." bit in Blade Runner.

More importantly, the fact that the shape of the constellation is recognizable means they are very close to Earth.
Old 04-21-08, 11:16 AM

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
So now we have 2 half human/half cylon babies? Is the first one anymore significant because it had a cylon mother (Boomer) as opposed to only a cylon father (Tyrol) ?

Thos.
Old 04-21-08, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Thos19
So now we have 2 half human/half cylon babies? Is the first one anymore significant because it had a cylon mother (Boomer) as opposed to only a cylon father (Tyrol) ?

Thos.
Well, as was pointed out to me, we don't know if Callie or Helo aren't cylons themselves.

Now, here's something the writers are probably never going to explain when the 12th cylon is revealed, if he/she was on Galactica. Why wouldn't they also have been drawn by the music to the Weapons locker with the other four? If they were on the ship, they should have been.
Old 04-21-08, 11:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Now, here's something the writers are probably never going to explain when the 12th cylon is revealed, if he/she was on Galactica. Why wouldn't they also have been drawn by the music to the Weapons locker with the other four? If they were on the ship, they should have been.
That's fairly easy though... the 12th already knows it's a cylon, and we'll probably find out has somehow been manipulating everything behind the scenes all the time.
Old 04-21-08, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by nemein
That's fairly easy though... the 12th already knows it's a cylon, and we'll probably find out has somehow been manipulating everything behind the scenes all the time.
I just got to hit you back with what you hit me with - there's just no proof of that to say definitively.
Old 04-21-08, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's no way to know, but I sure HOPE that the 12th knows s/he's a Cylon already. I think it would be a lot more interesting than just another "switch" being flipped.

I'm still hoping for Cottle.
Old 04-21-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pinata242
There's no way to know, but I sure HOPE that the 12th knows s/he's a Cylon already. I think it would be a lot more interesting than just another "switch" being flipped.

I'm still hoping for Cottle.
I hope so as well. It would even be cool if they were the ones to 'flip the switch' on Tigh, Tori, Chief, and Anders.

Cottle would be great. I think my vote is still on Zarek though.
Old 04-21-08, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also, seriously Adama, you put all your best pilots on the Demetrious? Heaven help you if the Cylons attack again.

Recetrack
Hot Dog
Any of the other random 50 we see from time to time but who don't get face time.

Besides, Athena and Helo are both Raptor pilots (although so is Racetrack).

I'll admit though, I too saw that establishing "Mess hall" shot and thought, "whoa, heavy hitters."

-Doc
Old 04-21-08, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is Helo even a pilot? I thought he was a communications officer. At least he always rode bitch to Boomer. He certainly didn't hop in a Viper during the Nebula attack when they needed every one who has ever used a stick before.
Old 04-21-08, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
I'll admit though, I too saw that establishing "Mess hall" shot and thought, "whoa, heavy hitters."

-Doc
Yeah, I know what you're talking about, but man, it was so short and quick.

We need a screenshot.
Old 04-21-08, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by pinata242
Is Helo even a pilot? I thought he was a communications officer. At least he always rode bitch to Boomer. He certainly didn't hop in a Viper during the Nebula attack when they needed every one who has ever used a stick before.
He's supposed to be qualified in a Raptor, and he was acting CAG during parts of S3.

He still had CIC duty at the time of the Nebula attack, and the Admiral may have asked him to stay.
Old 04-21-08, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One more thing, all the folks complaining about the baby crying: are you parents? I've got a ten month old, and what Nicky was doing was nothing. Seemed pretty realistic to me.
Old 04-21-08, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Because she wuz on mind-altering drugs !!!

Also, wouldn't it be awesome if Tory/Tyrol found out they were NOT cylons after the events of this episode?
Old 04-21-08, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by milo bloom
One more thing, all the folks complaining about the baby crying: are you parents? I've got a ten month old, and what Nicky was doing was nothing. Seemed pretty realistic to me.
Being realistic doesn't make it any less annoying. You are not one of those people that do nothing while their kid cries in the theater are you? I think that is the feel they were going for with the kid crying. That please shut that kid up feeling because I'm trying watch this.
Old 04-21-08, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Doc MacGyver
Besides, Athena and Helo are both Raptor pilots (although so is Racetrack).
-Doc
but Helo hasn't seen stick time in at least a year, he's been XO, and I presume second officer when Tigh is sober enough to come to work
Old 04-21-08, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I just checked my recording, 28:22

so, replicants are simply human cylons and BSG is taking place a year or two before Blade Runner
Old 04-21-08, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't see how it's a reference to "Blade Runner," seeing as how they aren't off the shoulder of Orion.
Old 04-21-08, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
On another board I read that cylon #5 is

Spoiler:
the ship's doctor
Old 04-22-08, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Traxan
On another board I read that cylon #5 is

Spoiler:
the ship's doctor
That's a little too
Spoiler:
SAW
for my taste.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.