Survivor: China - 9/20/07 **Season Premiere**

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor: China - 9/20/07 **Season Premiere**

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-07, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Lounging on the beach in L.A., frappucino in hand...
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
btw the chick who walked out of the budhist temple deserved to be slapped across the face. You are a vistor in a foreign country, and you should show respect to the people and their culture.
She wasn't being disrespectful. You can't expect someone to just drop their beliefs to placate others. Kind of lame for Survivor to put her in that position and for Anal Probst to make a big deal out of it. I actually respect that she did it and was unapologetic. She had an actual spiritual issue with it and excused herself from the situation. Nothing wrong with that. Would you have a problem if a black person excused themself from a KKK ceremony? The one who was being disrespectful was the blond NYC bimbo, who was smirking the whole way thru the ceremony.
Yup, I agree completely. Probst was like, "it's not worship", but it's bowing down to statues of another religion's God, in a temple, and it went against her beliefs. She was polite, she didn't make a scene, and she clearly didn't want to say anything until she was put on the spot.

Agreed that the blond chick was the disrespectful one, she didn't have any personal beliefs at issue, she just was bored and whiney.
Old 09-21-07, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by sven
But she lives in a city. A city where everyone hates each other. A city where everyone is always pissed off. A city where body ever has fun. A city where everyone constantly rolls their eyes. And apparently a city with a food shortage.
We were laughing at that, saying to each other, Huh, apparently everyone in New York is an unhappy, gloomy kiljoy, who knew?

Originally Posted by DJariya
Do these guys not know how to dress for Survivor? I see some of the guys in their suits with sport coats and dress shoes. The black lady was wearing a dress with some really uncomfortable looking high heels....and now she's doing challenges in her bra and panties. If it was me, I would travel there wearing shorts, a T-shirt and some decent walking shoes and that's it.
Yeah, this isn't the first time that the start of the game was sprung upon the contestants. What about the season where they had to jump overboard with just the clothes on their back?

If I were on this show, I would change into camping clothing with many layers (complete with convertible pants, for the heat issue) the very minute my plane landed in the country. No way would I wander around in a dress.
Old 09-21-07, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Cusm
Obviously, you like the non religious Christian radio host, have no concept of what Buddhism is - but make judgments out of ignorance any way.
This is exactly like a Christian funeral for an atheist or a follower of Islam or any other non Christian - it is a ceremony, you sit there respectively. Sitting in a church or a synagogue or a mosque or a Buddhist temple during a ceremony does not mean you are worshipping another god.
I normally agree with your point of view in these religion discussions, but don't agree with you here. Jeff did say it was not a "worship" service, but I don't see how a Christian couldn't have seen otherwise (without more detailed information about what this ceremony was about). The room was filled with idols and everyone had to bow down on a mat in front of them.

Looks like an interesting season, but then again, even *bad* starts always seem to end up fun.
Old 09-21-07, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I gotta agree that the whole welcome "ceremony" was designed specifically to get the chick to walk out on it. It's too bad that Chicken was booted first. I liked him.
Old 09-21-07, 06:02 PM
Suspended

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised if they made all the contestants dress up, just so it'd add a little more drama to the show ("oh my God, they are all wearing dresses, what are they gonna do?!?)...just like the temple scene was an obvious setup to add some drama.

It was nice to see that other than the above, they didn't introduce any new gimic yet. I'm guessing there's some sort of exile island that just wasn't introduced yet?
Old 09-21-07, 07:08 PM

Originally Posted by aktick
I wouldn't be surprised if they made all the contestants dress up, just so it'd add a little more drama to the show ("oh my God, they are all wearing dresses, what are they gonna do?!?)...just like the temple scene was an obvious setup to add some drama.

It was nice to see that other than the above, they didn't introduce any new gimic yet. I'm guessing there's some sort of exile island that just wasn't introduced yet?
Geez, I hope not! I didn't like the Exile Island gimmick at all, and the only point of having Exile Island would be if they have the Immunity Idol. That's been done the past two seasons, I hope they try something new.
Old 09-21-07, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
Do these guys not know how to dress for Survivor? I see some of the guys in their suits with sport coats and dress shoes. The black lady was wearing a dress with some really uncomfortable looking high heels....and now she's doing challenges in her bra and panties. If it was me, I would travel there wearing shorts, a T-shirt and some decent walking shoes and that's it. Save the fancy clothes for a real vacation. Also, I don't understand why some contestants always choose to wear pants to start. If your going to be in a hot and humid tropical environment with literally the clothes on your back, you should know better.
there are some seasons where they would drop them off with only the clothes on their backs and there are other seasons when they know when the "game" will begin.
If I was told that we will be headed to a temple for a ceremony (and not told of anything else), I think it would have been more respectful to wear something a bit more elegant than shorts, teeshirt and tennis shoes. I hate tourists that do that when entering a church or a temple ... it's not respectful to the people worshiping there. I guess once you sign up for Survivor, you have to expect that they would pull that stunt, but really I would have expected to be properly dressed if I was visiting a so-called holy site.
Old 09-22-07, 04:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts
Buddhism isn't really about dressing fancy, is it?

And it's not unusual for Wiccans to worship naked.
Old 09-22-07, 09:38 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
damn, i have a man-crush on James. it was smart of christian-lady to latch on to him and befriend him. Those don't appear to just be "for-show" muscles. The guy has a very physical job.

I agree with those on here who have defended christian-lady. Her stepping out was much more respectful than the white chick rolling her eyes through the whole thing.

And I also agree with those that said chicken went home because of his own decisions. he could have stepped up and been a provider, which normally gives you a good few weeks without having to worry. but being non-committal to everything, even when specifically asked, was his downfall.
Old 09-22-07, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by shoppingbear
Geez, I hope not! I didn't like the Exile Island gimmick at all, and the only point of having Exile Island would be if they have the Immunity Idol. That's been done the past two seasons, I hope they try something new.
Burnett said they eliminated exile island for this season.
Old 09-22-07, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by chowderhead
If I was told that we will be headed to a temple for a ceremony (and not told of anything else), I think it would have been more respectful to wear something a bit more elegant than shorts, teeshirt and tennis shoes. I hate tourists that do that when entering a church or a temple ... it's not respectful to the people worshiping there. I guess once you sign up for Survivor, you have to expect that they would pull that stunt, but really I would have expected to be properly dressed if I was visiting a so-called holy site.
Be prepared- dress in layers. And wear a jacket with pockets large enough to carry extra shoes.
Old 09-22-07, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts
Thank God they voted off Chicken. I couldn't listen to that accent more than seven seconds at a time.

And of course they were putting the Jesus lady in the temple to cause a scene. It's frickin' Survivor. They don't cast for interesting or intelligence anymore, it's for drama.

You can't tell me no "real people" auditioned for this season, I was one of about 600 who waited on line for 5 hours a few months ago for a casting call for the China season. But it doesn't look like they took anyone from that crowd, they're almost all actors or bartenders or models from California.
Old 09-22-07, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When Chicken took his glasses off, he reminds me of the current day Gabe Kaplan, not the old school 'Welcome Back Kotter' look, but the poker-playing Gabe we see on TV these days.
Old 09-22-07, 07:52 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I was impressed with the size of James, and how agile he was, he was so strong that he threw himself over the walls with barely a flinch, as opposed to mr. parcour who madea mess of it..
Old 09-23-07, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
I have never watched a single episode of Survivor. Two people have told me to check this guy out...what night is this show on?

Wow!
Old 09-23-07, 02:37 PM

I was into the first episode until they made it to their camp and they were given food supplies. Whatever. then to top it off, the losers were allowed to take their fire home from the tribal council. This show is really getting soft. Let's see the losers get weak, cold and hungry to bring out some real motiviation to survive!
Old 09-23-07, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by illini420
I was into the first episode until they made it to their camp and they were given food supplies. Whatever. then to top it off, the losers were allowed to take their fire home from the tribal council.
Yeah, that's how they do it every season.
Old 09-23-07, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 234 Likes on 138 Posts
It was my thought that they realized how badly they screwed up the Survivor dynamic by making it so hard on one tribe last season. Pretty much any tribe that spends the first 4-6 days without fire tends to be put in a hole that determines the whole rest of the game, so I wasn't surprised they gave the losing tribe fire after the first council.
Old 09-23-07, 05:12 PM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
yeah, it's been a mix in past seasons. in some previous seasons, the team that went to tribal the first time also got fire. But in those seasons, they typically go at least one or two days without fire, as flint is awarded in the first reward challenge. So the reward challenge-winnging team has fire for longer than the losers. There was no separate reward challenge this episode, so everyone pretty much got fire at the same time.
Old 09-23-07, 11:20 PM
Needs to contact a mod about multiple accounts

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts
Final 5 spoiler:

Spoiler:
According to the Survivor Sucks message board, the Final 5 are: Peigh-Gee (5th place), Denise (4th place), leaving Todd, Courtney and Amanda as the final 3.

Last edited by Howiefan; 09-23-07 at 11:24 PM.