Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor: China - 9/20/07 **Season Premiere**

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-07, 05:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shanester
I liked how the Christian lady kind of took him under her wing.
I decided I liked her when she told James just to ask questions because they all love to talk about themselves.

I imagine she didn't mean it like that, but I still thought it was funny.
Old 09-21-07, 05:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cdollaz
I do not understand how anyone could spend five minutes around Courtney without smacking the shit out of her.
But she lives in a city. A city where everyone hates each other. A city where everyone is always pissed off. A city where body ever has fun. A city where everyone constantly rolls their eyes. And apparently a city with a food shortage.

I wish I could visit that magical wonderland.
Old 09-21-07, 05:25 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, somehow we slipped up & missed the first episode (watching too much DVD on TV) & were sort of hoping CBS might rerun it the way they used to do. I checked in on this thread to see if the season looked promising enough to watch. Hate that the "Chicken" guy got voted off since he was from nearby Marion, VA. Sounds as if he might have been interesting & got the shaft from his younger tribemates.

Don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread (didn't see it if it was), but it looks as though the producers are doing more & more manipulating of the selection process. For instance, I was surprised to learn that quite a few of the more recent contestants (even going all the way back to "Johnny Fairplay") did not even apply for the show. Evidently, the producers have been instructed assistants to go out & find a more diverse group, according to an article currently running on the MSN website. One of the reasons we started watching was because of the 'real' contestants (Rudy, S. Hawk, Hatch, etc.)...we have noticed over the past few seasons that more & more buff, actor types have made up most of the contestants.

Also, they are breaking their own age requirement rules (a current contestant of Asian descent won't be 21 until next February despite the age limit for applying). According to the MSN article, Survivor spokespeople released a statement saying that the producers could make exceptions to their eligibility requirements whenever they choose. One reader commented that this statement wouldn't sit too well with past applicants who have been rejected because they somehow didn't meet the eligibility requirements.

Of course, the relatively plentiful sources of food (compared to first seasons, particularly Season 2) have changed the game considerably, but I guess they didn't want contestants dying on camera...or simply lying around due to a heightened state of weakness from starvation. Can't really blame them for that.

Last edited by creekdipper; 09-21-07 at 05:27 AM.
Old 09-21-07, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by creekdipper
Well, somehow we slipped up & missed the first episode (watching too much DVD on TV) & were sort of hoping CBS might rerun it the way they used to do. I checked in on this thread to see if the season looked promising enough to watch. Hate that the "Chicken" guy got voted off since he was from nearby Marion, VA. Sounds as if he might have been interesting & got the shaft from his younger tribemates.

Don't know if it's been mentioned in this thread (didn't see it if it was), but it looks as though the producers are doing more & more manipulating of the selection process. For instance, I was surprised to learn that quite a few of the more recent contestants (even going all the way back to "Johnny Fairplay") did not even apply for the show. Evidently, the producers have been instructed assistants to go out & find a more diverse group, according to an article currently running on the MSN website. One of the reasons we started watching was because of the 'real' contestants (Rudy, S. Hawk, Hatch, etc.)...we have noticed over the past few seasons that more & more buff, actor types have made up most of the contestants.

Also, they are breaking their own age requirement rules (a current contestant of Asian descent won't be 21 until next February despite the age limit for applying). According to the MSN article, Survivor spokespeople released a statement saying that the producers could make exceptions to their eligibility requirements whenever they choose. One reader commented that this statement wouldn't sit too well with past applicants who have been rejected because they somehow didn't meet the eligibility requirements.

Of course, the relatively plentiful sources of food (compared to first seasons, particularly Season 2) have changed the game considerably, but I guess they didn't want contestants dying on camera...or simply lying around due to a heightened state of weakness from starvation. Can't really blame them for that.
If you miss another episode, check CBS's website. It will be on their free to watch the next day.

The whole recruiting vs applying issue doesn't bother me much. Gone are the days when everyday people apply to the show. That is, many who apply are fans/experts of the show and I would bet that they get far more "characters" applying that they first did. When you have these "experts" playing you get seasons where the first immunity loss results in the strongest player being voted off. That's just my take on it, though.
Old 09-21-07, 07:15 AM

Some interesting characters this season on Survivor & I’m also glad that they aren’t doing another season on a fu*king island.

I like the “I Bury People” guy & since “Chicken” got voted out, I hope he wins. I don’t like Ashley. See isn’t very good in the WWE either. It looks like she put a little weight on for Survivor: China because she was looking anorexic before.

That waitress from NY needs to get out in the sun (well she’s in the sun now) more & eat some goddamn food. She’s going to be very sick if she if she makes it far in the game.

I liked when the ‘Christian Radio Host’ said I’m not a religious person but I believe in Jesus, or however she said it.

Anyways, next weeks episode should be good & since the “I Bury People” guy isn’t a big talker, he should just threaten all of his teammates say, ‘If you try & vote me off, I’ll bury you!’, talk about drama!
Old 09-21-07, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Poor Chicken. He didn't do himself any favors with being stubborn about the shelter. Once asked for help, he could've run that camp. Past seasons show, he who provides, stays
Old 09-21-07, 08:03 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
Originally Posted by shanester
PS Could it be anymore obvious that wrestling lady has "flotation devices" installed in her chest??
Fixed!

She should be able to help her team out in the swimming challenges... unless it involves diving to the bottom of something... that might be a challenge for her.
Old 09-21-07, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts
Originally Posted by nateman241
& I’m also glad that they aren’t doing another season on a fu*king island.
I think survivor has had burn out for the last four or five seasons beacuse they were all done on islands, it nice to see them change it up this year. I might actually watch the whole season this time.
Old 09-21-07, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by the big train
The ones who deserve to be slapped across the face are Burnett (for creating that obvious set-up) and Probst (for once again going out of his way to create drama). "Gee, why don't we go in this church here, kneel, and place our hands together while we bow in front of this statue of Jesus - it's not religious!"
I totally agree. If that wasn't a religious ceremony with worship, I don't know what is. I'm glad she walked out--they clearly were trying to get a reaction with that one.
Old 09-21-07, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Did Chicken just get some bad pre-Survivor advice, or is that who he is?
Old 09-21-07, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by JuryDuty
I totally agree. If that wasn't a religious ceremony with worship, I don't know what is. I'm glad she walked out--they clearly were trying to get a reaction with that one.
Then she should just respectfully sit there like my Uncle did at my Grandfather's funeral.
Old 09-21-07, 09:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
Then she should just respectfully sit there like my Uncle did at my Grandfather's funeral.
IMO, this is a weak analogy. Your uncle was attending his father's funeral (or, if it was your grandfather on your mother's side, it was a family member). Some funerals are memorials; others are eulogies; some (the minority) are worship services. Regardless of which type of service was held for your grandfather...and I'm assuming it was in accordance with his wishes...it is quite a leap to compare a major life event for a family member (wedding, funeral, baptism, etc.) with being coerced into participating in a religious event simply to win a contest. That's just wrong. Also, did your uncle sing hymns & recite prayers along with everyone else, or did he just maintain a respectful but neutral stance? If he did the former, that would appear to be hypocritical...which seems to be what the lady in mind wanted to avoid.

And, if I understand correctly, Probst had the contestants abandon their "worldly possessions" immediately after the ceremony "in keeping with Buddhist principles" (or something like that...just quoting what I've read since I missed the show). Although that's undoubtedly just part of the gimmick of the show (similar to the use of immunity "idols" & the ceremonial stuff that goes on with the Final Three remembering the losers), it still makes a connection between the Buddhist religion & the actions of the contestants. Silly, you may say, but I would ask you whether you think the producers would have the contestants give their possessions to the poor "in keeping with Christian principles", etc. It's different from having the contestants eat the local food, use local tools & weapons, compete in challenges tailored to the region, etc. (I take it that they're being give rice to eat, which could only offend the gastronomic sensibilities of some participants).

From what I've read, the Christian woman is wishy-washy (unless by saying, "I'm not religious", she meant that she doesn't act self-righteous & better than others...which is probably not what she meant. She probably has been conditioned to be defensive about practicing her faith too devoutly...or she was trying to fence-straddle in order not to single herself out for elimination. That's not necessary, since there have been other strong, uncompromising Christians on the show in the past (Roger from Season 2 is the best example I can think of...remember him saying grace for the tribe?).

Still, she gets points for trying to live by her beliefs (unless I'm mistaken, the contestants were asked to participate in the ceremony, which squares with the photo I saw with the women standing with hands together in a "praying" position. That's different from just observing the ceremony as a spectator).

Past seasons have had contestants visiting villages & sometimes participating in religious rituals. Even if you just look at it as 'play-acting', that would appear to be pretty condescending to the hosts, who supposedly take their religion seriously & truly believe in what they're doing. Wouldn't it be better to simply refuse to take part than to 'pretend' to go along with something that the hosts consider sacred?

Bottom line is...the producers placed her in a no-win situation. If she refuses to participate, she's rude. If she does participate,she's a hypocrite. It demonstrates that living according to some religious principles can be a distinct liability in Survivor...same as being a vegeterian has been in the past when contestants refused to eat meat in a challenge. If a challenge required the participants to strip naked (with the black bars blurring the naughty bits, I imagine there might be one or two contestants who would refuse on principle). On paper at least, the people with the best chance of winning are the most unprincipled contestants, who have no ethical brakes to consider. Good thing that murder is forbidden, otherwise we'd see a bloodbath for $1 mill.

Last edited by creekdipper; 09-21-07 at 09:57 AM.
Old 09-21-07, 09:46 AM

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by the big train
The ones who deserve to be slapped across the face are Burnett (for creating that obvious set-up) and Probst (for once again going out of his way to create drama). "Gee, why don't we go in this church here, kneel, and place our hands together while we bow in front of this statue of Jesus - it's not religious!"
Great point. Maybe they could've had a Hassidic Jew and then start with a "non-religious" communion ceremony, or a vegan and started with a "traditional" hamburger meal. Clearly a set up, and good for her for not bowing down. It didn't seem to really hurt her, either, so at least they didn't seem to go the "She's got principles! Let's vote her out now!" route. The real interesting part for me will be to see how she intergrates her beliefs with "playing the game"/lying, etc.

I haven't watched the past 2 seasons but this one's got me hooked back in.
Old 09-21-07, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
I will always support someone's right to excuse themselves from a situation that makes them personally feel uncomfortable. It really doesn't matter what we, the other contestants, or someone's grandfather would do in the same situation. Her beliefs are personal to her and we have no right to tell her what to believe or how those beliefs should affect her. I would feel the same way if an athiest had walked out. She wasn't disrespectful in any way. She didn't say anything, roll her eyes, mock or anything of that nature. She just left.
Old 09-21-07, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I do not understand how anyone could spend five minutes around Courtney without smacking the shit out of her.
Agreed, "Reached back like a pimp..."

From her first facial expression (no pun intended) about 2 minutes into the show, I knew I couldn't stand her. Then she spoke, and all was confirmed. I do hope she is gone soon.
Old 09-21-07, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by JuryDuty
I totally agree. If that wasn't a religious ceremony with worship, I don't know what is.

Obviously, you like the non religious Christian radio host, have no concept of what Buddhism is - but make judgments out of ignorance any way.
This is exactly like a Christian funeral for an atheist or a follower of Islam or any other non Christian - it is a ceremony, you sit there respectively. Sitting in a church or a synagogue or a mosque or a Buddhist temple during a ceremony does not mean you are worshipping another god.
Old 09-21-07, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
While not as good as the earlier seasons I still liked the start of this one better than the last few. I'll stick around at least until the challenge where they're forced to eat some of the more creative entrees of Chinese cuisine.
Old 09-21-07, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Cusm
This is exactly like a Christian funeral for an atheist or a follower of Islam or any other non Christian - it is a ceremony, you sit there respectively. Sitting in a church or a synagogue or a mosque or a Buddhist temple during a ceremony does not mean you are worshipping another god.
They weren't sitting, they were kneeling. If they were not active participants, which they were, and were only observing, I would agree with you. Kneeling and putting their hands together made them active participants. Whether it is considered worshipping according to Buddhism is irrelevant as she is not Buddhist. She considered it worshipping according to her beliefs. Are you suggesting that she has the obligation to disregard her beliefs and take on the beliefs of another religion instead?
Old 09-21-07, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by Cusm
Obviously, you like the non religious Christian radio host, have no concept of what Buddhism is - but make judgments out of ignorance any way.
It also seems like judgmental ignorance to make a statement like that, because you obviously don't understand the problem with a Christian bowing to idols, regardless of what the "intent" was (other than to create tension/controversry). As noted above, she was quiet and humble about it, and no one should judge her for slipping out silently.

I don't understand all the tenants of all religions, but I don't begrudge someone for humbly following her conscience.
Old 09-21-07, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old 09-21-07, 01:46 PM

I can see this thread is going to turn into a big religious debate.
Old 09-21-07, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by nateman241
I can see this thread is going to turn into a big religious debate.
Leslie started it!

But point taken & concluded.
Old 09-21-07, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by uteotw
Great point. Maybe they could've had a Hassidic Jew and then start with a "non-religious" communion ceremony, or a vegan and started with a "traditional" hamburger meal. Clearly a set up, and good for her for not bowing down. It didn't seem to really hurt her, either, so at least they didn't seem to go the "She's got principles! Let's vote her out now!" route. The real interesting part for me will be to see how she intergrates her beliefs with "playing the game"/lying, etc.

I haven't watched the past 2 seasons but this one's got me hooked back in.
I completely agree with you and others defending her. This was done on purpose to cause drama and inflame the atheists. Usually when you say atheists in this country you mean "anti-Christian" as well. I'm sure if they had someone refusing to participate in a Christian "non-religious" ceremony they would be hailed as a hero.

BTW, I am a former Christian, former Buddhist who is now an atheist. No mater what anyone says that ceremony WAS religious in nature.

As for how a Christian (or any person who follows a belief system that frowns on lying) can reconcile their beliefs with lying to others on Survivor... it's a freaking' game where deceit is a major portion. It's like saying you shouldn't bluff in poker. I always hate the inevitable tribal council where some one gets called out for lying. Its part of the game, morons.
Old 09-21-07, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts
Do these guys not know how to dress for Survivor? I see some of the guys in their suits with sport coats and dress shoes. The black lady was wearing a dress with some really uncomfortable looking high heels....and now she's doing challenges in her bra and panties. If it was me, I would travel there wearing shorts, a T-shirt and some decent walking shoes and that's it. Save the fancy clothes for a real vacation. Also, I don't understand why some contestants always choose to wear pants to start. If your going to be in a hot and humid tropical environment with literally the clothes on your back, you should know better.

Last edited by DJariya; 09-21-07 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-21-07, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts
I found the whole Buddhist temple part completely unnecessary. I FF'd through that part.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.