Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The 4400 thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-06, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Let me jump in here while I'm still in the middle of watching "Graduation Day".

I After watching "Gone 2", I was wondering if anyone thought about why NTAC still referred to The 4400 as "The 4400" if 5 kids were sent back further in time. When everyone forgot about the kids, the Centre still had "The 4400" printed on their sign instead of some other number. That would mean either 1) the future people actually took 4405 people and returned 4400 to the present and 5 to the past or 2) NTAC miscounted! LOL or 3) plot hole!
Old 07-12-06, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts
Yeah, I was kind of expecting a "BTTF Lone Pine Mall" type of moment there with the center being renamed "The 4395 Center," but oh well.

Agree with several posters above. Aside from looking good in a bikini, Isabelle isn't an interesting character, and it really does the show no good to spend time with her as the audience doesn't care. Kill her and move on to a storyline involving characters that we actually have some interest in.
Old 07-12-06, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh, was it just me or did anyone else get the impression that Isabelle and the terrorist leader guy were working together?
Old 07-12-06, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dstrauss
Yeah, I was kind of expecting a "BTTF Lone Pine Mall" type of moment there with the center being renamed "The 4395 Center," but oh well.
Whoa, I never noticed that about BTTF. Thanks for mentioning it!
Old 07-12-06, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
I seem to recall from the pilot that its 4400-ish, not 4400 exactly. I could be wrong though.
Old 07-12-06, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dstrauss

Agree with several posters above. Aside from looking good in a bikini, Isabelle isn't an interesting character, and it really does the show no good to spend time with her as the audience doesn't care. Kill her and move on to a storyline involving characters that we actually have some interest in.
They killed Lilly for this character? I disliker her too and all her father doest now is react to her.
Old 07-13-06, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

There was at least one 4400 that died in the miniseries. Carl, the vigilante that tried to save the park in "The New & Improved Carl Morrissey".
Old 07-17-06, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How bad can this show get?

July 16th's episode answered that question ...

Wow, what a crapfest this show has become.
Old 07-17-06, 03:14 PM

Watching last night, and the preview for next week, I felt like I was watching Smallville - little or no main plot, just a "this week's weird one does _____".
Old 07-17-06, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
It is getting old. What I really liked in the first season was that we were seeing a new episode with a new story about some new 4400 adjusting and using their ability for good, even though it wasn't obvious initially. Now we are just seeing a terrorist type plot that has already gone too long.

It needs to go back to introducing new characters and letting us see their story.
Old 07-17-06, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Ayre
There was at least one 4400 that died in the miniseries. Carl, the vigilante that tried to save the park in "The New & Improved Carl Morrissey".
I'm not sure if your post was in response to the posts about how the 4400 name didn't change when the future humans took several kids and erased them from everyone's memory.

If so, then the fact that some 4400 people die off wouldn't have any effect on the name itself. the name itself came as a result of the number of returnees and wouldn't fluctuate if one of them dies.
Old 07-18-06, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow what a boring episode this week.. Did anything even happen?? I can't even remember it was such a snoozefest..
Old 07-18-06, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
It wasn't a bad episode, really, but the only thing it did was establish Isabelle as someone not to screw with, which we sort of already knew. One thing that is frustrating me about this season is that we've seen very, very little of Maia. Outside of the two-parter a couple weeks ago, I think she's had maybe 5 minutes of screen time.
Old 07-18-06, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

We did finally get rid of Alana. I couldn't stand her, I hope she stays gone.
Old 07-18-06, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Vipper II
It wasn't a bad episode, really, but the only thing it did was establish Isabelle as someone not to screw with, which we sort of already knew.
The writing is excruciatingly slow. Especially considering the lack of likeable characters. They really need to consider some new cast members. Without Lily, Richards character is empty. Nothing.

Freak of the Week is not the direction I would go. I would like to see them introduce new members and flashback (ala lost) to what was happening when they were abducted. Let us get to know the characters a little deeper.

At the heart of all series is the cast. Even if this show had good writing, the cast is so lifeles. Notable exceptions being Skouris and Maia.

Luckily this is USA Network and will give this show a fighting chance, when all other networks would never even have aired the mini-series.
Old 07-18-06, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 81 Likes on 61 Posts
Luckily this is USA Network and will give this show a fighting chance, when all other networks would never even have aired the mini-series.
Well, I forget which network it was, but the show was also offered a slot elsewhere; however, that network wanted to tinker with the show's format, and the writers didn't want that. But as much as I hate to admit it, aside from the 2-parter concerning Maia, this season has been terribly bland; they've gotten away from what worked - the relationships. I like the idea of the Nova group and such, but they've not done much with that, either.

Last edited by Vipper II; 07-18-06 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-18-06, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I really enjoy this show, but I just get the feeling when watching it that USA only expected a mini-series, and, when they found they had a hit on their hands, didn't know what to do with the story. They then slowed it down, really really down, so that they could come up with something interesting. Well, they haven't. I think they are drawing this out as far as commercial sponsors will let it go, then end it with some crappy ending. I don't hope for this, and will watch it til the end, but I just get that feeling...
Old 07-25-06, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

On comments on this weeks show yet I see. I'm one of those who wouldn't mind a more 'freak of the week' setup (like X-Files but without the evil overtone) so I didn't mind this weeks episode. The Isabelle stuff was slightly more interesting than normal towards the end. The "I realize what we have to do...Get Married!" bachelors nightmare stuff was just bad. The scene where she said needed Shaun to help her choose the right path it was really the only one that held my interest. For the rest of her scenes I had various fantasies about her getting killed. Jordan Collier kicking in the door and injecting her with the white stuff, Richard pulling her head off with his telekinetic powers, Superman flying in and bashing her skull in with his bare fists, anything really.
Old 07-26-06, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did anyone here that watches The 4400 see "Beloved" the movie or read "Beloved" by Toni Morrision? Isabelle's character is a direct rip from the book.
Old 07-26-06, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
It is getting old. What I really liked in the first season was that we were seeing a new episode with a new story about some new 4400 adjusting and using their ability for good, even though it wasn't obvious initially. Now we are just seeing a terrorist type plot that has already gone too long.

It needs to go back to introducing new characters and letting us see their story.
I didnt care for the 4400 of the week thing. I do prefer an overall mythology I just don't they are very sucessful with it here.
I'm losing interest.
Old 07-27-06, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks like bailing 4-5 episodes ago was the correct choice. Is anyone watching this any more? I can't remember the last time that a summer series got so little interest here. We've not only managed to keep discussion in a single thread, but last week's episode got only 3 comments. What are the ratings like on this thing?
Old 07-27-06, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

"What are the ratings like on this thing?"

It's the USA Network. I believe you would have to use scientific notation to represent a number so small.

I tried to watch it, but was distracted by ... nothing. Not sure if I have deleted it yet, maybe I will give it another shot.

Isabelle and Shaun are horrible actors and double horrible together.
Old 07-27-06, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Isabelle has been a terrible move (and a terrible actress) in my mind, and ditching her Mom was a horrendous move.

There's been an occasional blip of a good moment here or there, but this show has been schooled by Batlestar G. which started at the same time a couple of years ago.

I really don't know why I keep watching...
Old 07-27-06, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mphtrilogy
I really don't know why I keep watching...
I was the biggest supporter of the show back in the day... I ignored it until the Season 1 DVD set came out, was suprised at how good it was, and was shouting praises from the rooftops until about halfway through Season 2. Then I began to wonder why NOTHING WAS HAPPENING. Seriously, this show is dealing with such huge topics, with so many cool possibilities, yet they focus on silly soap opera stuff with 2-3 characters and even that trivial shit is never resolved. Where are the huge, profound stories? Where are the events with global implications? Where is anything that acknowledges that there is a world beyond the main cast and occasional freak of the week?

Season 1 wasn't brilliant by any stretch, but it was fun and it showed promise. Unfortunately, through the last 20 episodes or so, they've accomplished nothing.

I bailed right before the Home 2-parter. I've been more than happy keeping up-to-date with the snails-pace plot via this thread every week or so. I'm done with this show. I would be curious to see if the ratings have dropped this season. It just seems (from this thread, and others) that the very small 'buzz' this show once had has long since gone. I only personally know 2 other people who watched. And one of them bailed recently too.
Old 07-27-06, 06:01 PM

"What are the ratings like on this thing?"

It's the USA Network. I believe you would have to use scientific notation to represent a number so small.
USA NETWORK #1 IN KEY DEMOS

NEW YORK, NY July 25, 2006 USA was the #1 ranked network in basic cable prime for the fourth week of 3Q06 in the key demos: P25-54 (1.3 million), P18-49 (1.3 million) and P18-34 (0.6 million).

USA Network dominated the basic cable prime rankings for the week, with its original series ranking as six of the top ten basic cable prime telecasts among P25-54. Each of USA's original series two hours of WWE MONDAY NIGHT RAW, MONK, PSYCH, THE 4400 and THE DEAD ZONE ranked within the top ten telecasts in basic cable prime for the week.

WWE MONDAY NIGHT RAW at 10p on Monday was the #1 basic cable prime telecast for the week among P18-49 (2.9 million), P25-54 (2.6 million) and total viewers (5.8 million). WWE continues to see growth, up from the previous week in all key demos, by +15% among P18-49 and up +17% among P25-54. On Monday, USA delivered more M18-49 and M25-54 than ABC at 9p and more M18-49 than any broadcast network at 10p.

USA's MONK and PSYCH were the top two programs in basic cable prime on Friday, with MONK taking the #1 spot among P25-54 and PSYCH ranking #1 among P18-49. USA was the #1 network in the 9p hour on Friday among both P18-49 and P25-54, with MONK ahead of all broadcast and cable networks.

USA's original series continued their winning streak on Sunday, with THE 4400 and THE DEAD ZONE ranking as the top two programs in basic cable prime for the night with 1.7 million in P25-54 each.

USA Network surpassed its ratings for the same week last year (7/18-7/24/05) by double-digits in all key demos, up +27% in households, up +42% in P18-34 delivery, up +28% in P18-49 delivery, up +22% in P25-54 delivery and up +30% among total viewers (Live+SD vs. pre-DVR data).

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.