DVD Talk God

Received 1,674 Likes on 1,228 Posts
Re: The 4400 thread

The 4400 update was picked up to series by the CW today

Old 05-24-21, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 677 Likes on 486 Posts

Not sure how I feel about this being on The CW. Loved the original.
Old 05-24-21, 08:44 PM

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Not sure how I feel about this being on The CW. Loved the original.
I don't really see the point of rebooting this either. The original series was great in its time for what it was, low tech special effects, soap operatic storylines for sci fi nerds and fresh new actors (mostly Canadian I think).

The only way to reboot this would be to pump up the FX budget and hopefully come up with a new twist on the idea of 4400 people returning after mysteriously disappearing for different timeframes, probably with some actual stars playing the roles.

But I think doing so would. lose all the charm of the original. Why not just come up with an original story on people who return after having disappeared?
Old 05-25-21, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 147 Likes on 127 Posts

I found The 4400 to be a must watch when it aired and I seem to remember that for the most part the show remained good and enjoyable to watch all the way up to the final episode. Please note, for me this show was a must watch that I made sure to watch not long after it aired, I am not saying it was can't miss TV, it is just that it was the type of show with a premise that I enjoyed seeing play out on TV every week. It also had a great cast with some folks who were fairly fresh to TV when the show aired and have gone on to have a fairly healthy career in TV/film.

I would be up for giving this reboot a fair shake. Also, the fact that it was on cable (Basic?) at the time and would now be on network tv will probably not neuter the show as much as people might assume, because I do not remember the show having a lot of extreme violence, harsh language, or nudity, so a transition to network tv should not be a big deal. In fact, given how standards for network tv have changed, and the amount of times I have seen the camera linger on a woman in a bikini, or wearing lingerie on a network tv show that frankly does not leave a lot to the imagination, you might actually see more skin on the CW than you did when the show first aired, lol!

Last edited by Inhumans99; 05-25-21 at 03:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (05-25-21)
Old 04-19-22, 03:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
4400 With Peter Coyote. Could have been Good. Doesn't make it

Well I saw the first season of 4400. Actually this is a strange TV show for me to diagnose. I liked it. Up until the fourth episode where Billy Campbell or Jordan Collier was introduced. And then I just stopped watching.

I feel like Peter Coyote looked good for his age. Sitting on top of the world. And I liked the plot even though it probably wouldn't be the best type of plot for everyone. I mean it is science fiction. And not everyone likes that.

Billy Campbell ruined it for me. And it is not because I am against him. But that is about the time I started getting into these Antichrist documentaries and America Unearthed and I don't see the two as being compatible. After the year 2000, I consider this show to be one of the best dropped balls of Hollywood. I really wanted to get into it. But the show kind of crept along like a Sea turtle after a stunning opening premise. Started to remind me of a Refugee crisis, and the writers were like, hmm., how do we make a Refugee crisis interesting. Please locate me to a Camden development project.

Well supposedly Hollywood has all of these big guns to make any implausible scenario look fun and interesting, but this began to look like a Kangaroo court. With Jordan Collier, geez I would rather read an arabic dictionary. I feel like that is what his character was anyway, like hey, I will give you safe haven, but you have to learn arabic for the new Arabic america. Mahershala Ali and Laura Allen was like no way, we are moving! Jordan Collier too reminds me of every controlling overbearing person that I have ever known who I have tried to get away from. A centipede millobot.
But yeah, 4400 abducted by aliens (Spielberg's fingerprints aren't noticeably on this) and they come back and have super powers.
I like it. But the writing went south. I wanted this to be like my go to show, like if I get bored or on a rainy day. I love science fiction, and I really loathe the Walking Dead series. This show is kind of an aberration. It got you really pumped up after the really well done and sold to you premise and it had good actors. But the sloppy writing poured through. And you saw all of these underused actors.
Peter Coyote really stepped it up on the Pilot, but then what happened?? Just watch Jordan Collier? It blew my mind how this show dropped the ball. It was like I was watching the world's most famous adulterer. We do know what's clear, says Pete Muntean. Really? Clear as Jeff Dunham holding a frankenstein puppet? The puppet is allowed to cuss but I can't. Just pick up an arabic dictionary. Dynamite Headdy. Some people get into silk stockings or Grey's anatomy but this is what I am into. Next to Jordan Collier, my next revulsion was what exactly were the 4400 to become, the show led you to believe that they were just imploding oddities/liabilities that would go down one by one, faster than a look up your genealogy website.

Maybe this is how it would actually go down if there were a real 4400. Just hey we are going to watch any monitor you all the time and wait for you to self destruct or prod you into making crazy decisions because you are some oddity.
That is kind of a letdown. It's like going to a grocery store and they are out of potato salad. That's like watching Back to the Future and some shop is selling broken hoverboards. So they have to take a train or ride on a skateboard. I feel like this show was Hollywood's version of it's own melting snowman. I want to say that Jordan Collier is the entity that ruined it for me, but what I am debating or wondering is if Jordan Collier was a device to let me know finally that what I was watching was already ruined. I felt like I needed to get paid to go through this shows various stages of adolescent to pre adolescent and then whatever. Kind of like a Gretchen Carlson sexual assault claim against Bill O'Reilly. Hollywood do they know how to do a letdown or do they just replicate a letdown. Like Bob Dylan sings, Tangled up in Blue. (Tangled up in Hollywood just gives you the blues.) So I have to take a train to hear about Ivanka Trump's menstrual cycle. And Lily Moore and Richard Tyler aren't exactly the Roaring Girl the Thomas Middleton play.
I would like to know what the other cool science fiction shows of 2004 on to 2011 were? Because then you get to Falling Skies and that is a whole new Kettle of dropped the ball.
Old 04-19-22, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Ummm what
The following 2 users liked this post by Deftones:
Gizmo (04-19-22), John Pannozzi (05-10-22)
Old 04-20-22, 03:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog View Post
Yeah - I've read several articles about this. Already have the Replay set up to record it. Sounds very Outer Limits-ish.
Originally Posted by Deftones View Post
Ummm what
Good one Red Dog. Sounds like

But Canada holds the reign s. Until you and mom can prove me otherwise. Gregg Abbott I typed in Dumas Texas, he is sitting (as if self-imposed disabled) in a wheelchair next to some forty years old blonde, tight blue something she is wearing (with a face lift or two) and big boobs.

David as "bad as he is" (which I am doubting more and more everyday) probably knows this. I am working. I talked to a Mexican yesterday and all he was doing was speaking spanish, in a Mexican restaurant, but in North Dakota. They don't care what they say anymore. It is starting to rub off on me.

I have to tell them that I am from Oklahoma, so I don't get put into a room and get interrogated.
Connie (or "conservative") on the forums did a post just like your "Jesus Lives" Easter post. Except we are talking 2005 (His was aka sqlspace, "He lives,") Oh Connie Connie, where are you now bro.
He made me laugh. He was a Baby Boomer like you. He was part of the Protestant Deformation.
I remember colloquyially he said that I (meaning me) "Don't put the Christ in Christian."

Well hey maybe not. First time that a baby boomer was right. But what about the masks? Do I put the mask in.. masks? Even after there is not more mask mandate?? My generation and this leftie that works at Haaland nursing home in Rugby North Dakota do not like Uncle David. Because, he like me, knows they make up their own rules.
You gotta ask yourself, with the masks why do they just jurisprudenceilly wear whatever color one they want, whenever. Great Toyko Fish Market. That is "Jesus lives," Scott Baio lookalikes who are hosts for wheel of fortune.
People who get on Myspace and bug and pester women who have big boobs, same thing.

David knows this. We are running out of the factory like demeaning ways to get at somebody. Real housewives Atlanta. Nothing is real except Opec. Making us pay more. Cato Kaelin doing a tuberware commercial is more of a president than what we have now. Ask David if he has heard of Cato Kailen.

Outer Limits. Ok. Where is the Sand King episode? How is it possible to get past Episode 4? You guys are talking about season 4?? Do you hate yourselves that much? I could watch the God aweful movie Phenomenon with John Travolta and Forest Whitaker for a Season Four over this. This is like Newt Gingrich talking to Brian Kilmeade about Mask Mandates. Outer Limit had some good episodes. Like the Second Soul The Quality of Mercy. This show didn't even have a first soul. Red Dog, "Sounds Good," are you in the Taylor Swift all time member ship club? Middle Class families are struggling and this is what we get for a show. Deftones that is umm what. This show is not TV worthy. Or TIVO (whatever that is.) Ectopic pregnancy. Leslie Marshall, you mean like we are under Marshall Law. Jordan Collier. No way it is possible that you can get into that character. Like he owns the sun and the moon and the stars. And he auspiciously just appears after people have been abducted by aliens.
Sounds very Outer Limits-ish? You mean the worst episode of the Outer Limits? I wasn't big on the Dark Matters episode. But this is more Dark Matter. We are one of the top three producers of rooftop solar, says Hamid Mogham. You are too Deftones and Red Dog. How do people read books, says Greg Gutfeld. This on 4/20/2022. Well they don't apparently, just say something is Outer Limits-ish and that's all you need.

The number 4400 is very promiscuous too. That is basically what the Jehovah's witnesses are into. Except it's, I think 144,000. That are saved in end times. Doesn't anyone want to get into a TIVO discussion on the Jehovah's witnesses? Their beliefs are as wacked as any science fiction TV series. Jordan Collier aka "I can't Breathe" Lebron James holding a spalding basketball.
To be honest with you, I stole this First season at a thrift store. Thrift stores are non profit anyway, they don't pay people for whatever DVDs people donate to them.
So yeah, I got to see it from a real unbiased and hopeful perspective. What Science Fiction shows from 2004 to 2010 are worth seeing? Outer Limits was the 1990s. Constant tongue and cheek conversations, I love them but they are all the same Dragon Cancer. That Methane episode of Outer Limits was pretty good. Or mufon. Or some Bible thumping pastor stuck in the Anheiser Busch dreams of the 1980s to take way your pride and dignity. Until God comes and fills in the voids. I just see a Labor Union force of bad narratives. Greasy. The tragedy of a brain tumor, says Paul Heinrich. Even if he didn't drop out, says Nola Harkness. It's a Boomer Sandwich.
Pretty sad if you guys say you can't even watch the last episode. That is where it is supposed to end on a big bang. But a big dud? In other words just TIVO North Carolina toppling Duke? Nothing underscores the technological revolution better than plastics. This is not cut from the same clothe as The Outer Limits. Don't go there.

Last edited by Mark Shepherd; 04-21-22 at 01:44 PM. Reason: adsfa
Old 04-20-22, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Ummm what
The following 2 users liked this post by Deftones:
Deadman31 (04-26-22), John Pannozzi (05-10-22)