Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The 4400 thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-05, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrE
Somewhat egregious product placement...but they really stooped when they added it to the dialogue. For shame!
You mean the Budweiser at the wake? Yeah, pretty bad. But I think all of the USA originals do that. It might be the only way they can afford production costs. There was a bad one in the second episode of "Monk" this season involving Glad garbage bags, and recently on "The Dead Zone" Sarah offered Johnny some Tylenol for his headache. It's jarring when it happens, but if that's what they need to do to get the shows on the air, I don't really mind.
Old 08-15-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Second Guest
You mean the Budweiser at the wake? Yeah, pretty bad. But I think all of the USA originals do that. It might be the only way they can afford production costs. There was a bad one in the second episode of "Monk" this season involving Glad garbage bags, and recently on "The Dead Zone" Sarah offered Johnny some Tylenol for his headache. It's jarring when it happens, but if that's what they need to do to get the shows on the air, I don't really mind.

If it works in the dialouge, I have no problem. I do not ask for a facial tissue or for a non-asprin pain releiver and I do not ask for a beer. I actually prefer them asking for Budweiser or Tylenol, it seems more natural.
Old 08-16-05, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by riley_dude
I did like the underwear scene though.
You mean Kyle's with the mirror? Feeling a bit perverse, I re-wound that a few times trying to figure out how it could have been a mistake and finally realized that it COULDN'T have been -- it was just TOO obvious!

That scene took me more out of the show than any old can of Budweiser!
Old 08-16-05, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Cusm
If it works in the dialouge, I have no problem. I do not ask for a facial tissue or for a non-asprin pain releiver and I do not ask for a beer. I actually prefer them asking for Budweiser or Tylenol, it seems more natural.
I don't think it's the mentioning of the product that's distracting so much as the close-up of the product for two or three seconds in the middle of a scene. In fact, with the Tylenol in "The Dead Zone" - and they did it again this past episode - the brand wasn't even mentioned. We just saw Johnny pick up the bottle, with the label prominently displayed, and take a couple of capsules.

Usually you have to watch an episode of "Murder, She Wrote" to see an object get a prolonged close-up, and then it's always a clue to who the murderer is. I recently spent the first half of a "Monk" episode expecting the crime to have something to do with Glad ForceFlex garbage bags. Now, when I watch USA, I know it's just advertising.
Old 08-16-05, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Boy has this series gone down in quality. It just sits there.
Old 08-17-05, 08:39 PM

I thought the 2-hour season premiere and the episode about the mental hospital were good, but it has tanked since then.

They're not advancing the 4400 storyline much at all, and it seems like the writers are really struggling. The couple and baby Isabel were the most compelling part of the show, now they're rarely on and basically putzing around the 4400 center. Some of the actors are just cringe-inducing. Tom's new wife is easy on the eyes, but it is just dreadful hearing her try to spit out dialog. Don't get me started on the druggie/street urchin girl.

Are they really trying to pitch a love interest between Diana and the NTAC nerd?
Old 08-18-05, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Hmmmm, I guess I am still enjoying it pretty consistantly.
Old 08-18-05, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Originally Posted by kvrdave

I guess we are in the minority. I wish they would move his son's plot further and faster, if the future people sent him to kill Collier, they had a reason - work on that angle. Maybe the last 2 will be a nice wrap up of a pretty good season.
Old 08-18-05, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Me too. I guess people just have less to say if they're not complaining.
Old 08-28-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,368 Likes on 930 Posts
Interesting finale. Collier isn't dead, Isabelle ages 20 years in a day, and they find a "cure". Shawn should've waited to cure Kyle so that people could've seen that he was really under the control of the people from the future.
Old 08-28-05, 10:50 PM
Cool New Member

After dragging the last few episodes out, they seemed to cram all their leftover ideas they didn't get around to this season in the last minute of the episode. Very sloppy. I had high hopes for this series.
Old 08-28-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This show is like The Dead Zone, where the bookends are usually good, but most of the episode in-between are somewhat lackluster.
Old 08-28-05, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The 4400 Season 2 Finale 8/28

Can anyone tell me who the scruffy guy at the end was? I didnt recognize him at all.
Old 08-29-05, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,368 Likes on 930 Posts
Originally Posted by Daniel-A
Can anyone tell me who the scruffy guy at the end was? I didnt recognize him at all.
Are you serious? It was Jordan Collier.
Old 08-29-05, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hate short seasons on shows. 4400 just started it seems and now is over again. Hopefully the new season is just a few months away.
Old 08-29-05, 12:33 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't understand the comments people are making. Unlike most shows, the so-called filler episodes actually usually contribute to the overall story on this show. Also, pretty much every show on TV with a long running story drags that story out. I think 4400 has moved much faster than most shows do.

"The war" has me much more excited for season 3 than I was for season 2. I will say that the automatic aging is such a copout. Every time there's a super baby in fiction, it seems like they have no idea what to do with it so they have to get rid of it in some way. Either automatically aging them or killing them or something.
Old 08-29-05, 12:37 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hahaha, I didn't recognize him either. I thought he was just supposed to be a new 4400. It's funny because as I fast forwarded past the end credits, I happened to notice Billy Campbell's name. I couldn't figure out why that was there.
Old 08-29-05, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deftones
Interesting finale. Collier isn't dead, Isabelle ages 20 years in a day, and they find a "cure". Shawn should've waited to cure Kyle so that people could've seen that he was really under the control of the people from the future.
I knew he was not dead or would be coming back some how when his body was missing after his death.
Old 08-29-05, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by nny
Hahaha, I didn't recognize him either. I thought he was just supposed to be a new 4400. It's funny because as I fast forwarded past the end credits, I happened to notice Billy Campbell's name. I couldn't figure out why that was there.
At least I wan't the only one. But really with all that extra fur, I couldn't tell who it was at all. Kinda sucks how at the very end they take many steps to new thing that we won't get to see unfold for a VERY long time.

As for the season length I don't mind much. What I do mind is that the Hiatus is 9months compared to normal network TV's being 3months. That's a bummer since 4400 is the best Sci Fi show on the air atm and imo.

Last edited by Daniel-A; 08-29-05 at 01:48 AM.
Old 08-29-05, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was pleasantly surprised at multiple points in the show.

They caught me off guard when Lilly stabbed her Ex-husband (hallucination).

Then they caught me off guard when the nude lady anounced she was Isabel. (grew up fast, huh? I wonder which actress is playing her)

Then I thought Kyle was gonna die at the hands of his enraged cousin, but instead he kinda exorcisted him.

The ending with Jordan Collier standing at the landing site wasn't a surprise to me. He was obviously alive in some capacity.

I'm wondering, if every 4400 is supposedly sick, how come the ones at the "safe house" did not show any symptoms?

Jeffery Combs (neuroscientist) had some funny lines.

Sorry that the season is over.
Old 08-29-05, 08:27 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice way to end the season. I'd expected Jordan Collier to show up again, so only the "when" was a surprise. I think I'm annoyed at the grown-up Isabel. It's one of those plot devices, like going back in time to change something that's already happened, that usually foreshadows a drastic drop in show quality. But I live in hope....
Old 08-29-05, 08:28 AM

Is another season confirmed? I haven't heard it for sure anywhere, but perhaps I missed it.
Old 08-29-05, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
I knew he was not dead or would be coming back some how when his body was missing after his death.
I actually thought, after his body disappeared, that he came back as Garrett Dillahunt's character (his name escapes me, the attorney advising Sean at the 4400 Center), since their inflections and ugly shirts were almost the same. Guess I was wrong!
Old 08-29-05, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When this show first launched, someone (I can't remember who) said that the little baby reminded them too much of the baby in the V miniseries/TV series. I guess they were right.
Old 08-29-05, 09:06 AM
MrE
DVD Talk Special Edition

I also played with the possiblity that Collier was the Dillahunt character, but I'm glad to see Billy Campbell return.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.